Author Topic: The Perfect Xmas gift for your kid  (Read 7721 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
The Perfect Xmas gift for your kid
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »
Costco redefines bulk buying this Xmas season

http://www.costco.com/93-inch-plush-bear.html?langId=-1

rumored to cost 180

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: The Perfect Xmas gift for your kid
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
My cousin has something like that when we were kids and I absolutely loved it. He won it at a carnival, and it was just plain awesome.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
This is why America builds 2600 sq. ft. houses.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
weirdly the biggest downside of this to me is that when I eventually had to get rid of it (super worn out, outgrown by kids, etc.) I'd be really depressed. I get oddly depressed getting rid of stuffed animals anyway, but a people-sized one would be even worse.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »
I think this is simultaneously a super face punch and all the way awesome!  Little kids need to be little kids once in a while.  Just think of all the imaginative adventures you could go on with a bigger-than-life stuffed friend! :-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
When I was a kid, the toy store had a life-sized stuffed horse.  It was way more than $180; I think maybe $1,500.  It was even rigid enough that it could be sat on.  If that bear is as amazing to some kid as that stuffed horse was to me, I think it's worth it.  And in hindsight, even $1,500 is a fucking bargain compared to a real, eating, pooping horse at any price.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
This is why America builds 2600 sq. ft. houses.

Yes indeed!  You have to have a separate room just for the toys these days.

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:39 AM »
Wow. First - OMG that is crazy awesome.  A kid would love that. 

However, there is a reason that the photo shoot was done in a PARK. A BIG PARK. 

Besides the wow and fun factor which would wear off in say... 24 hours, what the hell are you going to do with a 96" stuffed bear?  Invite it to a tea-party? 

Hedonistic Adaptation at its finest. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 05:27:22 AM »
It would become my couch. It would be awesome.

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 05:38:10 AM »
It would become my couch. It would be awesome.

Yes! This!!  Or my bed? - New Slogan:   "Never be lonely again with honey bear..."

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 05:39:10 AM »

Besides the wow and fun factor which would wear off in say... 24 hours, what the hell are you going to do with a 96" stuffed bear?  Invite it to a tea-party? 

Well, yes.  A tea party, and take it to the park, and jump with it on a trampoline, and have a pillow fight with it, and take it for a drive in the family's convertible, and play ring around the rosy, and go for a walk with it in my little red wagon, and run and jump on it many many times, and hug and hug it, and sleep on the bottom bunk while it sleeps on the top bunk, and get it certified as a therapy bear and take it to visit sick kids in the hospital.  So many things to do with a big bear!

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 06:16:20 AM »
TED on steroids....can you imagine the FART that thing would emit?

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:02:31 AM »
They have had big stuffed animals before but I think they were only 5' or so and 30 bucks. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:11:39 AM »

Well, yes.  A tea party, and take it to the park, and jump with it on a trampoline, and have a pillow fight with it, and take it for a drive in the family's convertible, and play ring around the rosy, and go for a walk with it in my little red wagon, and run and jump on it many many times, and hug and hug it, and sleep on the bottom bunk while it sleeps on the top bunk, and get it certified as a therapy bear and take it to visit sick kids in the hospital.  So many things to do with a big bear!

OMG... certified as a therapy bear. awesome.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »
They have had big stuffed animals before but I think they were only 5' or so and 30 bucks.

Yeah, I've seen those in past Christmas seasons. I know my mom saw a similar one at Aldi and was going to buy it for my son. Thankfully I caught her in time and set her straight. She knows we have a smallish house. Instead she has proceeded to buy my now two boys bean bags, foldable chairs and otherwise. Sigh. I trip over them constantly and dream of the day they get ruined and wind up in the trash. Maybe I should speed up the process...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
A neighborhood friend had something very similar when I was a kid.  All the kids who visited loved it, but she was completely over it by about day 2.  I recall thinking how lucky she was, but then I'm also pretty sure that there was no way to get it down the stairs or out the door once it was unwrapped.  Looking at it now, I just think "ugh, dust". 

I think the wow factor was because no one else had it.  Just like all the costco xmas crap on front lawns -- there's nothing magical about xmas when everyone has the same costco blow up yard Santa. 

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
I can just see that thing scaring the tar out of me as it lurks in the darkened corners of my kid's bedroom at night. I never quite got over the murderous doll in Child's Play.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
My kids would go freaking ballistic over that bear.  Love it. 

Maybe they have a floor model at Costco we could just jump on for a few minutes.  And I might have to hug it. 

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
O.M.G. No, just no.

Awesome for a kid? Maybe. But not in my home, and NOT for $140! We could get him a bike for less than that and I'm sure he'd use it a lot more.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
My son has a giant bear that we got from Costco, but it isn't 93".  I'm guessing he's about 5 feet tall.  My son loves stuffed animals (even though he's 10 now), and I think his bear was about $50.  It was a birthday present, and his name is "Gigantic Cuddles".

He stays in my son's (full size) bed, and does sort of act like a bean bag chair at times.  He doesn't really bother me, because he's not in my way.

We don't have room for a 93" bear, and I pray my kid doesn't find out about them!