Author Topic: The official Tax Return Facepunch thread  (Read 35230 times)

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
The official Tax Return Facepunch thread
« on: January 21, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »
We just received our W-2's from work, a younger individual that came on halfway through last year is doing his taxes by himself for the first time ever.

him "So... like do I just turn this in to HR block or do I need the ones from the other company too?"
me "you need all of them"
him "well I kind of need the money now... what if I go to hr block after work today and get this one done... then go again when I get the other one from the other company and do it again?"
me "That is beyond stupid"

In context this guy needs more $ because his credit cards are maxed out from buying a knife and tactical fanny pack, and a few hundred dollar waterproof watch which he broke on the job a week after getting it.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
Re: The official Tax Return Facepunch thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
How old is this genius?

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
How old is this genius?

22 and I think he could have his own thread with all the gems he has provided in his short time here.

QueenAlice

• Bristles
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
Oh, this is going to be a fun thread!

I have just been shaking my head at all of the "What should I do with my tax return??" or "Can't wait to get my tax return, NEED A NEW TV!!!!" comments going on around me.

How old is this genius?

22 and I think he could have his own thread with all the gems he has provided in his short time here.

Head on over to the Overheard at work thread and spill, it's getting a bit foamy ;)

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
In context this guy needs more $ because his credit cards are maxed out from buying a knife and tactical fanny pack, and a few hundred dollar waterproof watch which he broke on the job a week after getting it.

I am aware of what a "tactical fanny pack" is and why it'd be useful to some people (concealed carry). I still giggle a bit and shake my head at it, though.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »
Hehe, its that time of year where the spenders come out of the wood work to enjoy the money they never meant to save. I used to do this... my parents still do...

There is a news feed at my work called: "What did you do with your profit share? Tell us your story."

A profit share is just a way for company to say your actual annual salary will vary with the performance of the company.

If he needs the money and cant afford to wait he should considering claiming at least 1 on all of his W4's so that feds don't keep all of his money...

Gilead1986

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:20:59 AM »
One of my co-workers has already filed his taxes and is awaiting his $1400 return.  Every year for the past 6 years I've explained to him that he's been giving the government an interest free loan on that money, and every year he chomps at the bit and exclaims that this is the year that money will save him.  It is gone within a week, spent on tattoos, furniture, or eating out.  Then the cycle begins again and he complains about his job, how he doesn't make enough money to live, and how he can't get ahead (his parents paid for his Bachelors degree in music theory and he laments how he can't get a job with that degree). 

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:26:27 AM »
I have to admit, it's driving me a little crazy that this is titled "tax return facepunch thread" and you keep calling it a "tax return." I'm fairly certain you mean "tax refund."

tax return = the collection of forms you file with the IRS
tax refund = the money you get back for overpaying, or because you are owed credits

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 06:39:53 AM »
I spotted the accountant! :P

In all honesty, I just learned there was a distinction between the return and refund recently; I think they are colloquially used interchangeably.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
A couple weeks ago I got a letter in the mail from the PA Department of Revenue, and went, "dammit, these idiots again."  But it turned out to be interest on last year's refund (which they didn't bother to send out until September.)  They paid me interest for their own late payment!  I was stunned.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 07:35:13 AM »
In all honesty, I just learned there was a distinction between the return and refund recently; I think they are colloquially used interchangeably.

This works -- colloquially -- until one reaches a point in life where the "refund" turns negative. :) Then the interchangeability comes to a screeching halt.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:00:25 AM by slugline »

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 07:40:02 AM »
I'm still punching my face because I'm going with an accountant due to a crazy year in the tax world (move, working in two states, working out of state, buying a house). I figure that they can make their pay this year.

The issue is that I just got a paper form from them. WTF. This is more complicated than me going through Turbo Tax or TaxAct.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 08:14:07 AM »
The issue is that I just got a paper form from them. WTF. This is more complicated than me going through Turbo Tax or TaxAct.

That's called an organizer. Unfortunately accountants can't read your mind and they need to ask all the same questions as Turbo Tax (go figure!). Usually, it will contain all of your info from last year so that it's easy for you to see if you're missing anything.

That said, if you're comfortable that you're providing complete info, then just skip it and return your tax documents to them. And let them know if you have health insurance - cause they're gonna ask if you don't tell them.

As an accountant - it's nice when the client at least -looks- at the organizer to remind themselves what they need and maybe puts some checkmarks here and there. But most of it's not important to fill out if you're including all of your "important tax documents."

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 08:18:21 AM »
Personal facepunch:  we're expecting a $2700 facepunch, i mean refund.  I used the IRS calculator several times last year to adjust my withholding, only to realize at the end of the year that my husband never checked "married', and his employer was withholding at the single rate.  Also, I felt funny writing down more than 4 allowances/withholdings (sorry accountants-I'm referring to whatever that number is on your W-4), so I didn't write 12 or whatever down in December to catch up a bit.

Sooo, we're getting approx. $2700.  I've never gotten a refund, and am frustrated that we gave the government an interest-free loan.  On the bright side, the money is going directly on student loans (and a tiny portion to top off our emergency fund).  On the down side, we've been paying interest on those loans, so we've paid "extra" in comparison to having this money last year to pay down the loans with.  Argh.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »
I have to admit, it's driving me a little crazy that this is titled "tax return facepunch thread" and you keep calling it a "tax return." I'm fairly certain you mean "tax refund."

tax refund = the money you get back for overpaying, or because you are owed credits

My bad, not sure how to change the thread title (I feel like an old person that can't work the interwebs) If a mod wants to change it to be more accurate go for it :)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »
Personal facepunch:  we're expecting a $2700 facepunch, i mean refund.
Haha nice choice of words!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
I'm one of those "dummies" who likes to get a tax refund, though never more than 2K. We use it for a) writing the kid's uesp checks, and b) stuff for the house. Last year since we didn't have something specifically for house, I used it to fund my xmas fund. This year unfortunately we are going to re-roof house, so will be going towards that.
I calculate we lose a whopping $15 in a 1% interest savings account over the year for doing this.

Off topic, I am definitely not a financial ninja, but I am curious about, the people here who do not celebrate birthdays, or anniversaries, or do anything out of the ordinary for Christmas. Myself, I like to have something to look forward to whether it is vacation or celebrating holidays. I'm the one who does taxes. If I didn't get a refund the whole thing would feel more aversive, even if mathematically it is more optimal. I guess I just don't get the mindset of being so financially optimal, that every day is just like the next day. I just don't get it.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »
I calculate we lose a whopping $15 in a 1% interest savings account over the year for doing this.
Yes, but you could have invested it in the stock market, where it may have gained a lot more than 1%. But then again, it may have lost a lot of money too. But we all know this and invest in the market anyway.
But also, why should the IRS get an interest free loan from you? You're actually entitled to a $1000 interest free loan from them (you can always owe $1000 in tax and not pay penalties for this). I wouldn't recommend you shoot for a $1000 underpayment, because you might miss and owe a penalty, but that's not the point here.

I guess I just don't get the mindset of being so financially optimal, that every day is just like the next day. I just don't get it.
I optimize my finances so that I can spend my days doing other things.
Also, I'm an engineer, and optimizing things is a part of my job description. So there's that.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
Hi. I am Pooperman, and I will have a tax refund. Like $3k. This year, I set it up so I won't have a refund (or a very small one). Where will this money go? E-fund. I keep spending my e-fund on vanguard funds, so now is the time to beef it back up to where it should be.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »
If I didn't get a refund the whole thing would feel more aversive, even if mathematically it is more optimal. I guess I just don't get the mindset of being so financially optimal, that every day is just like the next day. I just don't get it.

It's like a game to me. Kind of like The Price is Right...how close can I get without going over. I have a spreadsheet I update every payday that projects how much I will pay in taxes verses how much I owe. I adjust my withholding up and down throughout the year (luckily I can do that easily online) to try to get it close. Last year my estimates for Federal and State were within $300 of the exact amount. This year I'm projecting to get back ~$130 from the Feds and owe ~$70 to the State. We'll see how it goes.

Either way, it's fun for me. (I have, however, been referred to as a "nerd" before. /shrug)

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 12:21:44 PM »
Meh, I'm most likely paying someone to do my taxes this year.  My usual preparer, aka Mom aka an AARP tax aide, isn't volunteering this year -- the training program is strict, and she had other commitments during that time.

2014 was a whirlwind -- hubby had to take disability retirement with the railroad in the middle of the year, and between keeping up with the medical paperwork and the new (to us) complementary favored tax status of his RRRB portion and his NYS portion, I have no idea whether we will pay or get a big refund. In any event, it's a bit more complicated than the AARP tax aide project prefer.   

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »
If I didn't get a refund the whole thing would feel more aversive, even if mathematically it is more optimal. I guess I just don't get the mindset of being so financially optimal, that every day is just like the next day. I just don't get it.

It's like a game to me. Kind of like The Price is Right...how close can I get without going over. I have a spreadsheet I update every payday that projects how much I will pay in taxes verses how much I owe. I adjust my withholding up and down throughout the year (luckily I can do that easily online) to try to get it close. Last year my estimates for Federal and State were within $300 of the exact amount. This year I'm projecting to get back ~$130 from the Feds and owe ~$70 to the State. We'll see how it goes.

Either way, it's fun for me. (I have, however, been referred to as a "nerd" before. /shrug)

Accountant here...  I get to play this game several times a year doing tax projections for clients.  It's supremely satisfying when I compete the return the next year and it is very close.  Last year I actually got a "perfect score".  I had a fairly complex client that ended up getting no refund and owing nothing.  I shared my accomplishment with friends and nobody seemed impressed.  I don't know why. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
I shared my accomplishment with friends and nobody seemed impressed.  I don't know why.
I'm guessing because unless your friends are accountants, they don't understand that a $0 refund is best. I mean, for crying out loud, there are tax refund season sales.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 12:42:10 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you.  Hearing people misuse this makes me want to punch them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:44:55 PM by mak1277 »

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 12:46:26 PM »

Accountant here...  I get to play this game several times a year doing tax projections for clients.  It's supremely satisfying when I compete the return the next year and it is very close.  Last year I actually got a "perfect score".  I had a fairly complex client that ended up getting no refund and owing nothing.  I shared my accomplishment with friends and nobody seemed impressed.  I don't know why.

I'd imagine because the phrase "My clients got no tax refund this year because of me" doesn't sound like a good thing to the average American. :P

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:28 PM »
I shared my accomplishment with friends and nobody seemed impressed.  I don't know why.
I'm guessing because unless your friends are accountants, they don't understand that a $0 refund is best. I mean, for crying out loud, there are tax refund season sales.

I guess I forgot to factor in the tax refund sales. 

I'd imagine because the phrase "My clients got no tax refund this year because of me" doesn't sound like a good thing to the average American. :P

Maybe I'll rephrase it to "My client had to pay zero tax this year!".  Deceptive, but sounds very impressive.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 02:37:59 PM »
LOL - reminds me of one of my DH's t-shirts "Engineers aren't boring - they just get excited about boring things!"

Facepunch me, if you like.  We're probably getting a refund in excess of $8k (don't have all the paperwork yet).  Neither of us is working, but we sold stock options and that's W-2 income so they withheld.

We also didn't take the advance ACA subsidy.  We get 1.5% back on our current credit card, but this next year we'll be using that over $1k/month to meet minimum spends on credit cards or for travel hacking. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
I do that "optimizing" with my flexible health savings account. Too little, and i'm not getting that discount (it is taken out pre-tax). Too much, and they don't do carry-overs after March of next year (I lose that money).  So for me optimizing that does make a financial difference.

Since I know the amount I'm getting back tax wise, I'm not investing in stock either way, it is more psychological than a major financial decision, and gives me flexibility.
Unless - people are trying to get 5K tax refunds and blowing the money. But the same people who do that would probably be having a hard time paying any kind of tax bill out of pocket, so...

BigRed

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »

I do this also.  My projections are $77 back from the IRS and $197 back from the CA FTB.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 06:11:47 PM »
I readjust my W-4 throughout the year. I just estimated my returns (waiting on a W-2 and some 1099s) and will be getting a $352 refund this year, but my income is very predictable so it is easy to forecast what I will need my withholding to be.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 06:23:52 PM »

*gives standing ovation*

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 06:44:14 PM »

*gives standing ovation*
As an engineer, I approve of this message.

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »

*gives standing ovation*

As an engineer, I approve of this message.

Thirding this enthusiasm if you need the ego boost- I never get closer than $500 dollars (back) because DH hates to write a check.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:24 PM »
Since I was thinking this was going to be a collection of "I messed up and now I'm getting a refund!" stories rather than tactical fanny pack stories, here's my contribution: $4,000 refund, because I forgot to account for a second kid, born in April. I'm just going to blame pregnancy brain for that huge oversight.

I'd love to hear some more details from those who adjust their W-4 to get the closest to their true tax liability. How/when do you account for changes like the standard deduction change (if you use that) or the exemption amount going from $3,900 to $3,950? Does the IRS publish this stuff mid-year?
The IRS  publishes changes to standard deduction, tax brackets, etc. near the end of the calendar year before the tax year in question.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 01:19:59 AM »
I used the IRS calculator several times last year to adjust my withholding, only to realize at the end of the year that my husband never checked "married', and his employer was withholding at the single rate.

Since I was thinking this was going to be a collection of "I messed up and now I'm getting a refund!" stories rather than tactical fanny pack stories, here's my contribution: $4,000 refund, because I forgot to account for a second kid, born in April. I'm just going to blame pregnancy brain for that huge oversight.

How does one forget (a) they are married or (b) they are pregnant and having a baby? Makes me believe that saying of "one day I'll forget my head*" has some grain of truth to it!!!

*There's probably a tax deduction for that somewhere in the 32,000 pages of Australian tax law.

QueenAlice

• Bristles
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 05:25:15 AM »

LOL - reminds me of one of my DH's t-shirts "Engineers aren't boring - they just get excited about boring things!"

Hahahaha this is so true. I've been excited for the last few days about a complex script I wrote that in the end produces very pretty data analysis figures

I think we're going to owe a bit, but less than the $1000 max. I started some 1099 work on the side and ended up making a lot more money than I anticipated (rough, I know).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 07:51:37 AM »
I can't finish doing my return until the beginning of February... sad times.

W-2 from current job (got this one)
W-2 from old job (in the mail, should get today or tomorrow)
Lending Club by the end of next week
Fidelity on Feb 5th (Lending Club IPO)
Add to this that I moved from one state to another while continuing to work in the first state... and it was exactly 1/2 way through the year when I moved (July 1st).

May have to get a professional to do my taxes (or spend tons of time talking to turbo tax people). Thankfully 2015 will be much simpler!

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »
I always try to owe the federal governmanet between $100 and $1,000.  A few years ago I had a banner year on my side business and my spouse went back to work just enough to earn some money but not pay much in taxes.  So I executed to have to write a nice little check.  When my accountant called me he was all flustered because I owed quite a few thousands more in federal taxes.  When I told him that was ok I was expecting worse he was flabbergasted that I was not upset and just going to write a check.  He told me later he assumed I would yell at him and then want to pay with a credit card. 

Apparently most of his clients expect big refunds and tend to get mad and blame him if they don't. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »

I think owing is actually best.  That way -I- get the interest free loan from the government. I can use their money to make me money during the year, then give them it when it is due.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
I'd love to hear some more details from those who adjust their W-4 to get the closest to their true tax liability. How/when do you account for changes like the standard deduction change (if you use that) or the exemption amount going from $3,900 to $3,950? Does the IRS publish this stuff mid-year?

The IRS publishes it before the year even begins, at the start of the fiscal year in OCT I think.
Here is 2015 tax information.

I just make an excel spread sheet with all the relevant tax brackets and deductions and credits for my situation and estimate my annual tax liability and pay around with withholding to get to something near the average.

I really can't do that this year yet since we are moving and getting new jobs so I am paying a lot into withholding so I don't get surprised later - once I start my new job I will correct for it towards the end of the year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:21:38 AM by austin »

newton86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2015, 11:34:18 AM »
I'll be getting my first ever tax refund this year courtesy of my wife giving birth in late December. I wanted to make sure that little tax deduction was delivered before I changed any withholding.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »
My best year ever was a $118 federal tax refund.

Sadly this year it will be close to a $6,000 tax refund.  My own fault, I've fixed it for this year.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:23 PM »
My single friend with no kids who lives with his mom intentionally has the most taken out of his check possible.... Plus an extra $20/pay

"I like a big tax refund"

I think it's the only way he can save any money to blow on a very expensive golf course membership.

Facepalm

frogger

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
I'll participate in both spirits. I'm getting a $2000 refund from Fed and MN combined. I'm not really going to punch myself in the face, though, because I'm pretty pleased. I'm not too fussed about that interest free loan on account of a) it wasn't going into the stock market anyway--likely it would be sitting in my 0% checking account because I'm pretty bare bones right now (no pay over semester break) and I maxed 2014 IRA without it, b) they've had it less than six months (job started in August), so the marginal dollars I'd have earned really don't justify the time spent on withholding optimization, and c) I'm sure if the feds/state benefited in some way that means I've benefited indirectly--they're not the enemy.

I'm planning to do non-facepunch things with it this year, namely stick it in my IRA same as I did with last year's refund. Previous years I have to admit to using it for facepunchy things like fixing holiday overspending or spending it on trips and things. Before I was on a razor-thin margin and needed the refund to keep afloat. Now I just budget for less and the refund is a bonus, not a need. If I find myself in a stable employment situation next year I may modify withholding a bit, like once a year, for a smaller refund, but that's really an area I'd rather have err on the side of caution than strive for constant optimization.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
Upthread I posted about our projected $2700 federal refund; I have absolutely no idea about a state refund.  I forgot to mention that it's also so high because the woman who does payroll for our small business accidentally put in 10 allowances last spring instead of 1.  2014 is my first year of full-time work, so the % w/h actually stayed about the same as when I was working part-time in college, and didn't look too fishy to me.  So then I changed it to 0 + $20/week extra withheld, which later in the year I readjusted to just 0, then later to 4 as I reused the IRS calculator.  And then my husband never put in a new W-4 when we got married, so he was w/h at a way high rate.  Also, we work hourly pay jobs with very variable hours, so that's why I kept checking in.  When DH works 50 hours it changes his % w/h that week (b/c payroll takes that week and bases w/h on a year of that salary), vs. when he only works 20 hrs.  And it was his first year in that job so we didn't know quite what annual income we could expect to plan for.  So w/h fails alllllll year long. 

But that was 2014.  In a different thread, I found out other ppl have tax spreadsheets.  I figured this is brilliant! I put in all of our deductions/exemptions/student loan interest/etc. and ballparked where we should be for 2015.  I wanted 0 allowances b/c my DH is in a new crazy job situation, and I figured we can adjust to having more take home pay later this year (yay!) when I can better estimate our gross income.  Well, the woman who does our payroll is my mother.  And she thinks mothers know best :p  So she put in 2 allowances because we're married and there's 2 of us.  This coincided with a raise, and I figured the increase in take home pay was due to the raise.  Actually, half of the increase is due to those 2 allowances.  So I very nicely explained to my own mother that I had actually filled out the W-4 form correctly and pretty please change it in the payroll software.  And now I'll have to carefully watch my paychecks to be sure she doesn't change it back.  So 2015 could turn out interestingly.

I chatted with coworkers today about tax refunds.  Said ours was going on student loans.  I asked if they were saving up for anything big (one wants cattle to start his own farm. one wants to start a mechanic shop).  Nope. No go there.  Two guys plan to buy trucks (one fairly new with payments, one super old with cash) and the other plans big upgrades for his current truck.  And then they all complain that they'll never have enough money for their goals and try to angle for pay raises.  I tried to encourage saving half towards their dreams, gave a little uplifting speech, but I don't think it worked. Oh well.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »
I spotted the accountant! :P

Colloquially, yes. Doesn't stop us from *ahem* educating when the chance arises. The distinction is important in some contexts.
(a multi-year volunteer with the IRS VITA program, and occasionally a paid tax preparer)

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
I'm rather annoyed, neither my nor the wife's W-2s have either shown up or been made available online. >_<

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »
I'm just putting whatever I get toward solar panels on two houses (personal and rental). 8% average ROI in AL, plus partial backup power for storm season? #hellyeah

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »

I think owing is actually best.  That way -I- get the interest free loan from the government. I can use their money to make me money during the year, then give them it when it is due.
Mathematically, yes. But I would rather shoot for a zero refund, and if there is any unanticipated income (like I had, actually - $2750 this year) - I can minimize my chance of getting hit with an underpayment of tax penalty.
I had to fill out the underpayment of tax penalty form for GA state taxes. I assume that the Federal version of that is just as headache inducing as GA's, and that is something I never want to touch again.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
I forgot to mention that it's also so high because the woman who does payroll for our small business accidentally put in 10 allowances last spring instead of 1.
Having way too many allowances than intended would cause your refund to be incredibly low and/or negative. Allowances decrease the amount of withholding.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!