Author Topic: The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .  (Read 36408 times)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2020, 03:42:06 PM »
^Hahaha, yes, I'm so embarrassed to have dated counters.

My brother makes custom cabinets. At one point he put in a $50K kitchen for a couple (which is really expensive for just cabinets and counters . . . no appliances or flooring or anything), then 5 years later the same guy hired him again because his new, second wife didn't like the colors that the first wife picked out. So he pulled out what he felt like he had just put in and redid it all to the tune of another $50K. You can't make this stuff up.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2020, 08:05:05 PM »
Bet those old kitchen cabinets would look great in my garage shop... ;)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
"These granite counter tops are 'dated' and they need to be replaced."
Yeah, they are dated at about 100 million years, give or take a few millions ;)

It's liek salt: It is amazing how the companies know which salt, that was millions of years down there, is going to run stale in 2 more years and always get that one up.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
I'm in a very poor country now so even though I'm living in a shipping container, it's still better than 90-95% of the country. I've got A/C, electricity, clean running water, and a bathroom. I drove through a village yesterday where the majority of dwellings were piled up rock walls with sticks or scrap metal covered by old pieces of fabric, plastic, or metal for roofs. Generally about 20-30 SF for a family. There's essentially no jobs other than goat herder, and the bathroom is the area on other side of the dirt road.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »

It's liek salt: It is amazing how the companies know which salt, that was millions of years down there, is going to run stale in 2 more years and always get that one up.
Lately I've heard people justifying "upgrading" to quartz because "granite requires too much upkeep". That's a marketing ploy if ever there was one. Head-->Desk.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2020, 01:34:49 PM »
I'm in a very poor country now so even though I'm living in a shipping container, it's still better than 90-95% of the country. I've got A/C, electricity, clean running water, and a bathroom. I drove through a village yesterday where the majority of dwellings were piled up rock walls with sticks or scrap metal covered by old pieces of fabric, plastic, or metal for roofs. Generally about 20-30 SF for a family. There's essentially no jobs other than goat herder, and the bathroom is the area on other side of the dirt road.

Has Albuquerque gotten that bad?

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »

1. New Mexico is the Land of Enchantment how dare you
2. This is what I saw when I visited rural Jordan last year. It looks like the moon--just nothing but rocks and white dust--except the moon doesn't have goats who somehow manage to live on thorn trees and then shit everywhere, attracting salt flies. The shit doesn't even seem to decompose very well, because there's no other organic matter for it to interact with and no moisture.

In conclusion, desertification is no joke. Plant trees wherever you live and seek recharge the aquifer with responsible rainwater sequestration practices.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2020, 08:26:42 PM »

Lately I've heard people justifying "upgrading" to quartz because "granite requires too much upkeep". That's a marketing ploy if ever there was one. Head-->Desk.

Are they cutting meat with diamond-bit drills right on the counter?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »

Beats me! Also, people think quartz countertops are "natural". LMAO.

Jadzia37000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2020, 03:40:49 AM »
"My accountant says I have to get a more expensive car once this lease is up."

(True story.  My business partner's car lease is 4x as much as mine and if I don't spend closer to what she is spending, it messes up her or the firm's taxes somehow.  Problem is, my car is the nicest car I have ever had, I absolutely love it, and frankly I don't want something "nicer.")

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2020, 06:37:55 AM »

Beats me! Also, people think quartz countertops are "natural". LMAO.
OT, but here's my experience:

We renovated kitchen and baths in our house late 2018. Went to the big Orange and Blue box stores, then a couple of stone warehouse showrooms to learn and understand countertop materials. Laminate was a no-no. We were very concerned about staining, as we use a lot of spices, esp. turmeric.

At one of the warehouse showrooms, the owner, from India, told me that everything can be stained given enough time (he sells quartz, granite, onyx, marble, travertine, quartzite, porcelain, and semi-precious materials). Very light quartz can stain. Very hot pots on quartz will scorch and do things to the resin that binds.

As @Dicey said, the misconception that "quartz is natural" is pervasive. He suggested to go with a natural material and go with a darker color. However, he was quoting us $1000+/slab for the granite we liked.

I took a few light-colored (but not white) stone and quartz samples and conducted stain tests at home. The man was right.
We found another stone place, barebones, that supplies to the stone warehouses. (The stone warehouses are the ones who deliver your stone to the fabricator when you place the order via the big box store.) This place was half the price, plus free delivery to fabricator.

After installation, I used a water-based sealer (which doesn't perform well). We paid for a man to come in and apply 2 coats of a polymer-based sealer (wife wanted it done professionally). That stuff works great. Need to reseal every 2 years, but can do it myself.
Lastly, properly sealed granite doesn't need more upkeep than our 40 year old laminate countertops.
The price/sq ft at the supplier warehouse was X, price at the fancier showroom stone warehouse was 1.5-2X, price at big box store is 2-2.5X.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:06:58 AM by jinga nation »

lisabobisa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2020, 06:43:46 AM »
I work part-time at a major fitness gym.    I get this one A LOT.

"I don't have my keytag because I have the wrong car/car keys today."

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
Hehe, "the wrong car"

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »

No, I'm deployed. Though some guys have related the normal areas here to the worst parts of Mexico.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2020, 11:00:59 AM »

No, I'm deployed. Though some guys have related the normal areas here to the worst parts of Mexico.

Slightly off-topic, but I think about stuff like this occasionally: Every part of the Earth was undeveloped at some point. Some groups of people developed the areas in which they live (by that, I mean there's now running water, bathrooms, solid structures/buildings, jobs, etc.), and others did not. I wonder about the basic differences/motivators between "people who develop" and "people who don't." Just a curiosity for me. I was lucky enough to be born in a developed country.

Any of the rest of you think about stuff like that?

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »

Slightly off-topic, but I think about stuff like this occasionally: Every part of the Earth was undeveloped at some point. Some groups of people developed the areas in which they live (by that, I mean there's now running water, bathrooms, solid structures/buildings, jobs, etc.), and others did not. I wonder about the basic differences/motivators between "people who develop" and "people who don't." Just a curiosity for me. I was lucky enough to be born in a developed country.

Have you read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond? It addresses a lot of this.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
Have you read Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond? It addresses a lot of this.

Never heard of it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »

I would assume a lot of people do, Guns Germs and Steel was a best seller for a reason, and it's not exactly the lightest or easiest read out there.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »

I'm not an employee, I'm not on payroll and my fees aren't handled by the same people that manages the staff paycheques. There are three of us who are independent contractors who work somewhat variable hours. The owner pays us directly.

But even then I would have thought direct transfer. I had a tradie come to my house and I paid him by direct transfer(as opposed to check or cash). My work employs independent contractors and we still get their bank details and pay them directly via transfer.

Definitely not the standard in my industry. Almost all of us contractors are paid by check. No idea why.

Here too.  never know how long a gig will last, so why bother with all the DD paperwork?  It's not that hard to take a photo and submit it to the bank.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »

Never heard of it. Thanks for the recommendation!

It's hilarious, especially his frequent references to "marriage" to refer to mass enslavement and rape. His account is from the typical male-centric academic perspective, and the privilege he displays in some of his narrative made me laugh aloud (which is unusual). I'd recommend the book for the entertainment value alone, especially since the intention was to break down some of the more pervasive stereotypes. He does it for racial stereotypes but doubles down on the gender ones. Typical for male academics of his generation.

Notwithstanding all of that, and his basic lack of understanding about why human beings make the choices they make (hint: self-interest) Diamond makes some extremely good points about factors that affect domestication and propagation of crops and wild animals, specifically insolation, latitude, and barriers to east-west migration.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »

To put it in over-simple terms, some parts of the world enslaved other parts of the world and/or controlled most of their resources for quite a few centuries, so that has had a pretty big impact on the development levels of various countries. As have ongoing wars.

With few exceptions, there are not "people who develop" and "people who don't develop." There are people who have access to more resources and more wealth, and people with access to fewer resources and less wealth. Putting it in terms of people who do or don't develop implies that the people living with their families in 20-30 square feet do so because of some kind of intrinsic lack of motivation.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »
To put it in over-simple terms, some parts of the world enslaved other parts of the world and/or controlled most of their resources for quite a few centuries, so that has had a pretty big impact on the development levels of various countries. As have ongoing wars.

With few exceptions, there are not "people who develop" and "people who don't develop." There are people who have access to more resources and more wealth, and people with access to fewer resources and less wealth. Putting it in terms of people who do or don't develop implies that the people living with their families in 20-30 square feet do so because of some kind of intrinsic lack of motivation.

Prior to colonialism, there were enormous and stark differences between various world cultures in terms of industrial development.  You might attribute that to chance, but to say that colonialism is the source of developmental differences seems disingenuous at best.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »

Prior to colonialism, there were enormous and stark differences between various world cultures in terms of industrial development.  You might attribute that to chance, but to say that colonialism is the source of developmental differences seems disingenuous at best.

The lesson: Keep up with defense tech and, whatever you do, don't lose a war.

ShastaFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2020, 10:28:03 PM »
A relative undergoing housing renovations (outsourced) moaned that "we only have one bathroom for four people over Christmas break."

I really didn't know what to say, as my husband and I had spent recently a month plus renovating (in sourced) our only bathroom.  Buckets were involved.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2020, 02:02:11 AM »

Yeah, for example the Chinese were more advanced than europeans - except for guns. And thanks to guns the Europeans could force the Chinese to suffer enormously from opium while making a lot of money.
There are always a lot of factors involved - for example some attribute the simple fact that Europeans had access to more domesticated animals than everyone else a big weight (food source and store). And of course better climate. 
But undoubtedly taking away more than half of all people in some parts of Afrika as slaves had serious impacts. As had ruler-borders etc.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2020, 04:25:18 PM »
Lol, the comments on this one are a gold mine:
https://thetakeout.com/salt-bae-gold-steak-police-1840931391

I'm not paying for the gold-wrapped steak, because I ordered the $235 economy version!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2020, 06:28:10 AM »
I don’t know how much to give my ayi (housekeeper/maid) as a red pocket/gift for Chinese New Year.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2020, 07:57:26 AM »

I'd like to take a moment of appreciation for this joke.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2020, 08:44:22 AM »

I'd like to take a moment of appreciation for this joke.

Thanks, Steve. Everybody else took it seriously.

Cb1234567

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2020, 08:44:44 PM »
The most first world problem of a sentence is. . .
Anything starting with “My iPhone...”. and “You won’t take my Apple card? “

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2020, 08:10:31 AM »
I work part-time at a major fitness gym.    I get this one A LOT.

"I don't have my keytag because I have the wrong car/car keys today."

I do this because I don't want to buy 2 sets of car seats, so I use a different car when I have my kids at the gym and when I don't.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2020, 01:24:54 PM »
^Lol, that is truly a beautiful first world follow up about the first world car key problem.

Speaking of cars, my daughter complained today "It's such a pain to always to have disconnect the car blue tooth from my iphone when you are driving and I want to use my ear buds."

trashtalk

• Stubble
The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
"It's hard to remember to move my two cars to the other side of the street when a nationally mandated work holiday falls on a day when the city comes to clean the street for us. Of course we *could* park those cars in the car garage that came with our home but *that* space is filled with the stuff we don't use very often. Naturally we can't park them in the driveway either because that space is occupied by our camper/trailer."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:56:28 PM by trashtalk »

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2020, 03:55:50 PM »
"I need 100% financing on a home loan as 3% is lot of money to come up with." -Said by someone who makes over $70K a year.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2020, 04:18:54 PM »
"I need 100% financing on a home loan as 3% is lot of money to come up with." -Said by someone who makes over $70K a year.

Yes it's not even in their universe to think of 20%. My coworker asked me how I did it and I told him first off I work twice as many hours as you do, so my income is double, and I spend about 60K/year less than you do. There's the answer right there.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2020, 09:04:10 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention it was 3% on an under $250K loan, so we're talking only $7500 at most. But is too much to save up.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2020, 12:43:02 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention it was 3% on an under $250K loan, so we're talking only $7500 at most. But is too much to save up.

I want to be a fly on the wall when they come in and mention how the house needs a paint job or a new appliance.

Serenity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »
“Think how much time it’ll save me untangling the wires...”

Me - trying to justify to my work colleague why I asked my other half to get me Apple AirPods for Christmas.....

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2020, 01:42:26 AM »

Me - trying to justify to my work colleague why I asked my other half to get me Apple AirPods for Christmas.....

Just make a plan for what to do when the batteries are empty. I don't think you can replace them at all.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2020, 07:39:10 AM »
Nope. If the pros can't do it then don't waste your time...

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Pro+Teardown/127551

May I suggest one of the alternative brands: https://www.gearbest.com/c_11240/bluetooth-earbuds

Can't vouch for any of them and they aren't any more environmentally firnedly but you'd save alot of money. I can vouch for the retailer. I bought a 3D printer from them.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2020, 07:41:52 AM »
Even my body conspires against spending: my ears are too small for buds. I can't even sit still without them falling out.

Serenity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2020, 01:31:03 PM »

Just make a plan for what to do when the batteries are empty. I don't think you can replace them at all.

They come with a charging case & cable, rather than batteries.

Serenity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2020, 01:38:46 PM »
Nope. If the pros can't do it then don't waste your time...

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Pro+Teardown/127551

May I suggest one of the alternative brands: https://www.gearbest.com/c_11240/bluetooth-earbuds

Can't vouch for any of them and they aren't any more environmentally firnedly but you'd save alot of money. I can vouch for the retailer. I bought a 3D printer from them.

Too late! My other half already bought them for my Christmas. And I love them! Wouldn’t have bought them for myself.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

They come with a charging case & cable, rather than batteries.

Yes, but the charger charges a battery inside the earbuds. And that battery will become bad after some time. 
And then you cannot change it. They make battery replacement difficult on purpose, just like with many phones.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2020, 03:00:12 PM »
Batteries are hard to replace because consumers prefer slim, beautiful designs over larger, bulkier designs that would be require to accommodate modular batteries that could be more easily removed. When everyone is racing to have the slimmest phone, or when there are serious size limitations for something like an earbud then custom batteries are the solution.

You can replace (with some difficulty) the battery in your phone. I wonder if it will be possibly to do for earbuds as well? That might be getting small for the average consumer.

MrsP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2020, 08:17:56 PM »
"What do you mean I can't use Apple pay on my Apple watch to pay?!?!?"

Overheard in line at Walmart. The guy was quite indignant, and repetitive.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »
LOL.

I have been known to mutter "Ugh no Apple Pay well I guess then I'll have to just slide my card like some kind of peasant."

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »
The most first world problem of a sentence is. . .
Anything starting with “My iPhone...”. and “You won’t take my Apple card? “

Well, I just got an iPhone 11, so I made some of these embarrassing statements this week.

First world sentence #1: "The earbuds that came with this iPhone have an old-school round connector, not a lightning jack, so how am I supposed to use them with this phone?"

Other half "Well, they sell adapters . . . "

First world sentence #2: "JFC I have to buy an adapter to use the earbuds that came with my phone with the same phone?!"

And so it went, on and on all evening, me making first world complaints continuously until my iphone was finally completely set up. I refused to activate apple pay . . . I like to have to actually hand over money when I buy things, not wave a magic wand.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »
I complained this afternoon that the micro kitchen at work had run out of free chocolate snacks. The horror!