Author Topic: The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .  (Read 36400 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
Overheard at a party ...

"We only HAVE five bedrooms!" - one of the couple that lives in the house (no children).

He was complaining that her crafting supplies were taking up more than two of those bedrooms.  She copped to "maybe" one and a half.

We have 5 bedrooms, one in a MIL suite.  Our craft stuff takes up the entire MIL suite plus another bedroom plus the woodshop/pottery studio we built out back.     Seems perfectly reasonable to me!     We've got one more bedroom than we really need, but it came with the house, so...

(And neither of us are complaining, we like it that way!)

Then again, we paid $96K below appraised value for the house (about 30% below market value), so I don't feel too bad about the extra floor space.   There's no reason not to be frugal in our luxury spending! :)

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »
Quoting myself from the race from 250k to 500k thread...

"Won't be able to sustain positive gains in down months for much longer"

Where’s this thread ?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »
The saga continues: I bought a new water bottle and now I don't drink enough water because it is too insulated and the water stays uncomfortably cold all day.

Last year I complained because my coffee mug was too insulated so it didn't keep my hand warm when I walked to work. Now I figured out a system where that mug is for my "lunch coffee" and it gets carried in my backpack;  I use a different one for breakfast coffee.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2019, 01:04:01 AM »
The saga continues: I bought a new water bottle and now I don't drink enough water because it is too insulated and the water stays uncomfortably cold all day.

For once, buy a soda in a bottle that is the size that you want to use. Drink the soda and reuse the bottle for water use.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »

Last year I complained because my coffee mug was too insulated so it didn't keep my hand warm when I walked to work. Now I figured out a system where that mug is for my "lunch coffee" and it gets carried in my backpack;  I use a different one for breakfast coffee.

I hate drinking too cold water!  At work the water cooler dispenses water very cold, so I started adding just a little bit from the hot dispenser to adjust it to a comfortable temperature.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »
You must not live somewhere hot. The right temp for soda and water is when it is slushy.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »

This made me laugh out loud.  Just quirky enough to be something I would do. 

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
I own six of my favorite coffee thermos because someone said that model was being discontinued, so I just bought a lifetime supply.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2019, 07:50:37 PM »
I own six of my favorite coffee thermos because someone said that model was being discontinued, so I just bought a lifetime supply.
I would totally do that.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »
Today my wife and I were discussing whether to cash out some PTO. I said I didn't think it was a good idea, because our income this year is already too high.

She said Wow, I wonder how many people have that problem?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2019, 07:35:09 PM »
I have no losses to harvest this year.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »
I PAID INTEREST TODAY!!! BLAAAAAHHHH!!!!

That was pretty close to my actual reaction.  I changed which bank account was paying off my credit card this month and I forgot to check the "autopay" button on the new account. I missed the deadline by two days and paid $8 in interest. This was on my American Express account. My other credit cards consider AutoPay to be a standing function regardless of which checking account is paying the bill.  With AMEX you have to set it each time.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »

That was pretty close to my actual reaction.  I changed which bank account was paying off my credit card this month and I forgot to check the "autopay" button on the new account. I missed the deadline by two days and paid $8 in interest. This was on my American Express account. My other credit cards consider AutoPay to be a standing function regardless of which checking account is paying the bill.  With AMEX you have to set it each time.

I don't autopay my credit cards.  I go in every 2 weeks, look at the charges, and then pay.  Call me a bit paranoid, but I do like to check.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2019, 06:25:03 PM »

Give them a call. It's pretty common practice to forgive/refund the charge for a first time mistake.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2019, 08:01:46 AM »
The pump on my hot tub makes a noise that's so loud it can wake me up over night.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2019, 08:20:46 AM »
"I work for the NY Times in my dream career, and I make $85,000 a year.  Over the next 25 years this means I will make $2,125,000.  My $180,000 loan debt (which includes all the interest) needs to be forgiven by society because I can't handle it myself."

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »

I don't autopay my credit cards.  I go in every 2 weeks, look at the charges, and then pay.  Call me a bit paranoid, but I do like to check.

I pay it off weekly when reviewing charges, but I still have auto-pay set up in case I forget or am unable to pay them. It would suck for them to accrue interest that my wife would have to pay if I suddenly died.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
The pump on my hot tub makes a noise that's so loud it can wake me up over night.

Do you have neighbors living close by? They might not like that sound either.

GreenIvy66

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
I admit to saying this:

"It sucks that the valet services downtown don't take credit cards".

Mea Culpa.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
Me: "The Montreal business class lounge doesn't have showers."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2019, 07:02:06 AM »

Someone who uses airport lounges!  Please rate Ottawa and Vancouver .

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2019, 07:56:50 AM »

Someone who uses airport lounges!  Please rate Ottawa and Vancouver .

Ottawa: cleaner and better-maintained than most (I'm in it right now), perhaps because powerful people use it. Nice natural light. Okay food. Annoyingly, always has CBC Newsworld on at fairly high volume (perhaps because powerful people use it).

Vancouver: good showers, nice views of mountains. Often has my favourite MLL soup (Thai Chicken Curry). Too many National Posts and not enough Globe & Mails. Often crowded. Nobody knows how to use the new boiling water dispenser, so the tea corner smells like boiled plywood. Will put on the Raptors game if you ask nicely.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »

I pay it off weekly when reviewing charges, but I still have auto-pay set up in case I forget or am unable to pay them. It would suck for them to accrue interest that my wife would have to pay if I suddenly died.
I did this for years, back when Bank of EvilAmerica refused to offer full-balance autopay. I had the autopay amount set to the usual minimum payment for my level of spending (i.e., the minimum-minimum), so if I forgot to log in I wouldn't get a late fee.

Now that all of my accounts autopay in full, I just go in at the end of the month (mid-cycle for all of my CCs) to download the data into my spreadsheet, which also covers checking for spurious charges.

In practice, though, the very few times I've had bad charges in the past ten years or so, almost every single one was caught by the bank and alerted to me automatically. Only one time I can think of that I spotted one on my own, and that was for a very small charge (someone managed to order themselves some Chipotle on my dime).

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2019, 11:50:52 AM »

Do you have neighbors living close by? They might not like that sound either.

My neighbors may indeed inhabit a different first world than I do if they do not like that noise. I will engage them and work on managing those relationships.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
"My bonus check is too big to mobile deposit so I have to drive to bank :("

You actually get checks? Your employer doesnt just direct deposit all wages/bonuses into your bank account?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:54 PM »

Give them a call. It's pretty common practice to forgive/refund the charge for a first time mistake.

Fixed. I didn't even have to explicitly ask for forgiveness.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2019, 06:23:53 AM »
Coworker, steaming mad: "They won't let me hang my own painting in my office." Makes $130K+

Is this "they won't let me decorate?" or "They won't let me drill holes in the wall?"

I ask because I was forced to put in a work order to mount a white board on the wall in my office.  The building contract doesn't allow us to do that kind of stuff.

It's the decorating itself. They want control. They write the checks. If you cash the checks you relinquish control. Sorry not sorry haha

Back when I had an office (With a window! Where I could see a tree!) I had facilities repaint the walls before I moved in (it was in pretty bad shape after several occupants and Facilities had cans of the "standard" color paint, ladders, etc)

For adding stuff, I just did DIY and didn't ask anyone. Hanging diplomas/certs on the wall? Sure. Mounting a (home made) coat rack on the wall? Yep.

The lure of bigger challenges and noticeably more money had me give up the office for a semi-nomadic cubedweller life. Got the "eviction notice" on one of my part-time cubes yesterday, talked my way into part time use of an office on the other side of the building.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2019, 06:29:45 AM »

You actually get checks? Your employer doesnt just direct deposit all wages/bonuses into your bank account?

I get actual paper paycheques biweekly. The staff don't, but us contractors do.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »

Yes, in past years we got paper checks for our bonuses - one in the summer, and one just before Christmas.  It took forever to get DD in the first place (small company).  For many many years (in the mid-2000s), I had to physically go to the bank every other Friday.

This year, however, we got DD bonuses.  This was neat, because I got one even though I had quit the week before!  (It wasn't a mistake.)  The text I got from my BF (who works for the same company) - "Apparently it's direct deposit. Wtf, where's my cash."  You can't make everyone happy - he habit was to cash it at the bank and spend paper money for a while.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2019, 09:16:33 PM »

Yes, in past years we got paper checks for our bonuses - one in the summer, and one just before Christmas.  It took forever to get DD in the first place (small company).  For many many years (in the mid-2000s), I had to physically go to the bank every other Friday.

This year, however, we got DD bonuses.  This was neat, because I got one even though I had quit the week before!  (It wasn't a mistake.)  The text I got from my BF (who works for the same company) - "Apparently it's direct deposit. Wtf, where's my cash."  You can't make everyone happy - he habit was to cash it at the bank and spend paper money for a while.

I didnt realise getting paid by check was still a thing for anyone, I am in Australia and have been paid by direct deposit since i started working (2002) and my parents have been paid by direct deposit as long as I remember (since mid 90s, though I dont know when that started)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »

I didnt realise getting paid by check was still a thing for anyone, I am in Australia and have been paid by direct deposit since i started working (2002) and my parents have been paid by direct deposit as long as I remember (since mid 90s, though I dont know when that started)

I'm not an employee, I'm not on payroll and my fees aren't handled by the same people that manages the staff paycheques. There are three of us who are independent contractors who work somewhat variable hours. The owner pays us directly.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »

I'm not an employee, I'm not on payroll and my fees aren't handled by the same people that manages the staff paycheques. There are three of us who are independent contractors who work somewhat variable hours. The owner pays us directly.

But even then I would have thought direct transfer. I had a tradie come to my house and I paid him by direct transfer(as opposed to check or cash). My work employs independent contractors and we still get their bank details and pay them directly via transfer.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2019, 03:29:05 PM »

But even then I would have thought direct transfer. I had a tradie come to my house and I paid him by direct transfer(as opposed to check or cash). My work employs independent contractors and we still get their bank details and pay them directly via transfer.

Definitely not the standard in my industry. Almost all of us contractors are paid by check. No idea why.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2019, 04:06:54 PM »

Definitely not the standard in my industry. Almost all of us contractors are paid by check. No idea why.

I am in Australia, I dont think anyone gets paid by check for anything any more

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2019, 04:24:02 PM »

It must be regional. I'm a freelance contractor. My three big contracts are with companies in Asia, and they all pay monthly by direct deposit. A couple of years ago, I had an 18-month contract with a local company and they paid biweekly by check. It seems that checks are still fairly common in N. America.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »

It must be regional. I'm a freelance contractor. My three big contracts are with companies in Asia, and they all pay monthly by direct deposit. A couple of years ago, I had an 18-month contract with a local company and they paid biweekly by check. It seems that checks are still fairly common in N. America.

Not all of North America. I'm Canadian, and I don't think I've ever had a job that paid regular pay by paper cheque. Just bonuses and times when something went wrong with direct deposit.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »

Not all of North America. I'm Canadian, and I don't think I've ever had a job that paid regular pay by paper cheque. Just bonuses and times when something went wrong with direct deposit.

Even bonuses being paid by cheque still seems odd, why wouldnt they be direct deposit if regular pay is?

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2019, 12:38:10 PM »
Re: bonuses by cheque - I think it’s only so they can hand over an actual envelope during your annual review.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »
Re: bonuses by cheque - I think it’s only so they can hand over an actual envelope during your annual review.

That makes sense, we just get a letter and then its in with out next pay. It has worked out sometimes that I get the letter after I have got the bonus in my account

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2019, 06:10:59 AM »
Yesterday afternoon, my daughter and I were driving home and were stuck at a left turn.  It was just car after car and I couldn't turn.  In a tone of utter frustration, I said, "Will this ever end?   I have spin class in 45 minutes and have to get home to change!"  My daughter turned to me, and said, "That is the most first-world sentence I've ever heard. BUT I HAVE SPIN CLASS!" Oops!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2019, 08:09:22 AM »
driving a car to spin class?

Maybe you need to spin over to the intentional discomfort thread and see what the ultra-hardcore mustachians are doing.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »
driving a car to spin class?

Maybe you need to spin over to the intentional discomfort thread and see what the ultra-hardcore mustachians are doing.

LOL!  I go to yoga after spin. So a solid 2 hour workout.  I will work out hard if someone is watching me.  Otherwise, it is like, "Wow! I worked out for a minute, I think I'll go sit down now."  It is SO worth it to me to pay someone to push me hard.  Also, where I live we have narrow roads and no bike lanes, so you are taking your life in your hands if you walk or bike on the streets.   

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
Yesterday afternoon, my daughter and I were driving home and were stuck at a left turn.  It was just car after car and I couldn't turn.
I often find that in that scenario it's easier to make a right turn and then make a U-turn at the next light or find some other way to turn around.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2019, 08:05:35 AM »
Yesterday afternoon, my daughter and I were driving home and were stuck at a left turn.  It was just car after car and I couldn't turn.
I often find that in that scenario it's easier to make a right turn and then make a U-turn at the next light or find some other way to turn around.

I will often do that, but in that spot if you take a right you will end up in the center of town.  You do NOT want to be there in rush hour.  We were coming back from the doctor's office which is in this weird spot where there are only a few connecting roads without completely going out of your way.  It isn't bad if you aren't in a rush, but otherwise can be annoying.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »

My mom is the queen of that. I have one particular intersection here in Charlotte where I do it a lot.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2020, 07:15:15 PM »
"This is exhausting hanging up all my polo shirts to dry--it's like they're never-ending" ~Me

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2020, 09:48:41 PM »

I will often do that, but in that spot if you take a right you will end up in the center of town.  You do NOT want to be there in rush hour.  We were coming back from the doctor's office which is in this weird spot where there are only a few connecting roads without completely going out of your way.  It isn't bad if you aren't in a rush, but otherwise can be annoying.

I'm seriously considering planning a semi-retirement that involves no driving.  Our light rail in my city is being developed and will open a new section in two years.  Driving sucks and other drivers suck even more, commuting is for crazy people.  I'd rather listen to great literature while sitting on a train.

Does this count as a first world problem?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2020, 08:05:42 AM »
Being able to retire may well be a first-world problem.

Living a car-free life is quite common away from the first-world.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2020, 05:51:09 AM »
" I'd like the breakfast special to go, no (included) coffee, my car does not have a cup holder". -- Owner of a 2000 Porsche Boxster - me.

"My car doesn't even have variable speed intermittent windshield wipers"  The is a spot on the dash for the knob, but it was not included.

Sometimes that is an easy upgrade to do yourself. My 90s VW had fixed delay wipers. For I think it was $25 I bought the variable delay wiper relay and it snapped right in. Even better - it COULD be used as part of an upgrade for many other cars with a little re-wiring of that car.

Hyundai i10 earlier models had intermittend. Later models did not. Talk about stupid changes.

Welcome to the USA! The most technologically advanced country in the world. They have even figured out how to prevent online banking fraud by using analog paper money transfers!

first world sentence: When homeworking I cannot get the free coffee from the machine at work!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2020, 08:21:14 AM »
"These granite counter tops are 'dated' and they need to be replaced."

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!