Author Topic: The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .  (Read 36410 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
Just read about this one today

"The app is down and I've been locked out of my Tesla for 3 hours, WTF!"

Doesn't bode well for a future proof car. At least with a 1965 Ford Falcon it is driveable as long as there is gasoline to put in the tank.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »
Just read about this one today

"The app is down and I've been locked out of my Tesla for 3 hours, WTF!"
Are you kidding me? Every Tesla owner knows you're a beta tester.  Never leave home without your car key as backup and the instructions for how to reboot your car's computer.  Hmph!  He doesn't have a first world problem, he's got an intellect problem.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »
"Where's the new content?  Why do all the Manga writers go on hiatus at the same time?" Said at 2 AM  looking for the weekly updates of the stories I follow.
Was this during Golden Week?

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
Nope.  They just decided one by one that they were "taking a break" for the rest of the summer. So over the course of a month my new content has dwindled to next to nothing.  *Sniffle*

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2019, 09:51:44 PM »
https://youtu.be/bwvlbJ0h35A

Weird Al always nails it.

That he does.  This was my favourite line “My barista didn't even bother to make a design in the foam on the top of my vanilla latte”

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2019, 06:10:58 PM »
Said to me by a coworker while on a business trip:

"This hotel's wifi is like third-world dial-up."

I immediately replied that 'third-world dial-up' was the most first-world thing ever said.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
Said to me by a coworker while on a business trip:

"This hotel's wifi is like third-world dial-up."

I immediately replied that 'third-world dial-up' was the most first-world thing ever said.

Having lived in one of the poorest third world countries for more than a year, I can assure you it probably wasn't that bad.    I remember watching my connection speed skyrocket to 200 baud for two entire glorious seconds.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2019, 09:41:01 AM »
My bank account has a mobile deposit limit of $xx / month.  It's slightly less than what I want to deposit in two months.  BUT, because of how I bill and receive payments, I often get a check on the 25th of the month.  I can't deposit the second check because it makes me exceed the limit.  I always wait the 5-6 days to deposit the next month's check. 

I've asked the bank on numerous occassions to raise my limit by $10K, but they have NEVER even answered.  I'm sure someone at the bank is crying over my first world problem.   

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2019, 05:29:17 PM »
My bank account has a mobile deposit limit of $xx / month.  It's slightly less than what I want to deposit in two months.  BUT, because of how I bill and receive payments, I often get a check on the 25th of the month.  I can't deposit the second check because it makes me exceed the limit.  I always wait the 5-6 days to deposit the next month's check. 

I've asked the bank on numerous occassions to raise my limit by $10K, but they have NEVER even answered.  I'm sure someone at the bank is crying over my first world problem.
Seriously?  On the next occasion, I'd be following up with instructions to close my account and move to a bank that would value me as a customer.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2019, 09:03:16 PM »

Seriously?  On the next occasion, I'd be following up with instructions to close my account and move to a bank that would value me as a customer.

Or open a second account, mobile deposit up to the limit, and just transfer from one to the other.

DoingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »
In a recent conversation with my daughter, she said that she and her coworkers were arguing about some detail of a local sports team's schedule.

I said, "If only there were somewhere you could go to ask these questions!"

She said, "We couldn't because we didn't have Alexa hooked up at the office!"

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »
From my own damn mouth:  "UGH, why did I get this 5th generation iPad when the 6th gen has the functionality I really want?  Should I upgrade?  Trade mine in?  Keep the old one and buy a new one if I'm going to be out a chunk of money either way?  This is such a pain and it's stressing me out so much!!"

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »
"Has anyone seen the remote? Has anyone SEEN the remote? Who had it last? Where did you put it? I can't believe I have to get up to change the channels."

"Can you pls call my cell? I can't find it!"

"Is there some way we can teach the cats to feed themselves or get one of those automatic cat feeders?"

"I know you think it's cool that you taught the cat to use the toilet instead of litter box, but don't you think you should have taught it to flush too?"

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »
The house cleaners moved things out of alignment and I have to fix it!

(This is a biweekly SO complaint and I had to ask him to please never complain about it again in my presence; yes, the rug is moved a little and the chair is in a different spot. Deal with if.)

I have a co worker who is a constant complainer.  He'll come in after the cleaners did the office the night before and flip out if his trash bin was moved to the other side of his desk.  He can move it without even standing up and he still complains.  Every.  Single.  Time.

He was also the one that got our free pizza privileges revoked by the company because he complained too much about the choices.  And guess which one in the office had more of those pizzas than everyone else...smh. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2019, 02:05:31 PM »

Or open a second account, mobile deposit up to the limit, and just transfer from one to the other.
@Gremlin I've thought about that, but it's a pain to open a business account.  I'd have to actually go in person
@Travis  - I hadn't considered that.  It might be a possibility for me.

The bottom line though is that it doesn't really matter to me.  My business account doesn't earn any interest, and even if it did, it would be pennies (I try to move money in and out of it quickly).  5-6 days of waiting is simply an inconvenience in that I have to remember to deposit it at a later date. 

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
I don't have the exact quote, but me complaining about this forum being down again is probably the most 3rd world thing I've ever said.

Complaining about the inflated prices in the secondary bourbon market is one that I've been seeing a lot lately in my little world.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »
Don't have the exact quote, but feel free to scour the internet for any of a dozen variations on the theme:

"My computer game hardware is too expensive because of those darn bitcoin/(other cryptocurrency) miners!"

Specifically: Back at the height of the cryptocurrency craze, gamers would frequently complain about the fact that demand from cryptocurrency miners was driving up prices on video cards, and about how it was unreasonable/unethical that the video card manufacturers/resellers were selling to the highest bidder instead selling to them at original MSRP.

Regardless of how you feel about bitcoin/cryptocurrency, complaining about the price of one's video game hardware lies pretty far out on the edge of "first-world problems".

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2019, 06:11:57 PM »
Don't have the exact quote, but feel free to scour the internet for any of a dozen variations on the theme:

"My computer game hardware is too expensive because of those darn bitcoin/(other cryptocurrency) miners!"

Specifically: Back at the height of the cryptocurrency craze, gamers would frequently complain about the fact that demand from cryptocurrency miners was driving up prices on video cards, and about how it was unreasonable/unethical that the video card manufacturers/resellers were selling to the highest bidder instead selling to them at original MSRP.

Regardless of how you feel about bitcoin/cryptocurrency, complaining about the price of one's video game hardware lies pretty far out on the edge of "first-world problems".

Inconvenient to be sure, but that's just supply and demand. On the flip side, somebody on here built a new gaming computer for pennies after the price of Bitcoin collapsed a couple years ago and those miners now wanted to offload their computer hardware (the reverse side of supply and demand).

"I spent $2000 on this $500 video card and I can only get $300 for it on Ebay!"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:39:45 PM by Travis »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2019, 12:07:37 AM »
<...>
"I know you think it's cool that you taught the cat to use the toilet instead of litter box, but don't you think you should have taught it to flush too?"

If the cat uses the toilet and flushes, you won't be able to monetize your cat's poo (see another thread).

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2019, 03:25:49 AM »
My train will not leave for another hour, because there is no train driver (machinist?) available, so I have to take a different train that will leave in 10 minutes, that brings me to the other train station in my town. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2019, 07:39:26 AM »
I don't have the exact quote, but me complaining about this forum being down again is probably the most 3rd world thing I've ever said.

Complaining about the inflated prices in the secondary bourbon market is one that I've been seeing a lot lately in my little world.

Didn't know that there was a "secondary bourbon market". I'll file this with "secondary Kool-Aid packets market" b/c apparently that is a thing too.

Kitty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2019, 06:22:53 AM »
"My diamond earrings are scratching my new iPhone screen."

I'll show myself out.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »

Didn't know that there was a "secondary bourbon market". I'll file this with "secondary Kool-Aid packets market" b/c apparently that is a thing too.

My quick blink vision of a "secondary bourbon market" was selling the results of "reverse drinking". Then I thought, that can't be right...but Kopi luwak is a thing... 
Yep looked up "secondary bourbon market" wow!
I'll stick with my several year old ( after opening) Evan Williams and Makers Mark.

edit for spelling kopi luwak 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:31:58 AM by markbike528CBX »

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2019, 04:31:30 PM »
I like to book a cruise well in advance to have something to look forward to.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
I was actually complaining yesterday: "I was really tired because my flight was delayed, and this was made worse when my chauffeur got lost because he typed the wrong street name in his GPS."

Wow. That's just embarrassing.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2019, 11:48:32 AM »
" I'd like the breakfast special to go, no (included) coffee, my car does not have a cup holder". -- Owner of a 2000 Porsche Boxster - me.

"My car doesn't even have variable speed intermittent windshield wipers"  The is a spot on the dash for the knob, but it was not included.

namasteyall

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2019, 05:11:29 AM »
I bet there is someone in the world that has said “My butler is ten minutes late”.

Often said in India!
The driver hasn't come, the kid has to go to school. 
Or I just don't like the new cook/maid/nanny. I am looking for new one.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2019, 09:55:17 AM »
We think opening our 7 window folding door is so much fuss that we just keep it closed.

(Actually, since last week we have opened it several times, for taking the home sales pictures. So we're getting better at opening it.)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The most &quot;first-world problem&quot; of a sentence ever is . . .
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2019, 09:07:39 PM »
"I had to use a telephone to call my bank to spend more than $2,500 in one transaction on my debit card!"

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
“This bonus is going to put me in the 34% tax bracket”

The number of times I have heard some version of this one is too numerous to count.

"this bonus will put me into HCE next year!"

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
" I'd like the breakfast special to go, no (included) coffee, my car does not have a cup holder". -- Owner of a 2000 Porsche Boxster - me.

"My car doesn't even have variable speed intermittent windshield wipers"  The is a spot on the dash for the knob, but it was not included.

Sometimes that is an easy upgrade to do yourself. My 90s VW had fixed delay wipers. For I think it was $25 I bought the variable delay wiper relay and it snapped right in. Even better - it COULD be used as part of an upgrade for many other cars with a little re-wiring of that car.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »

Sometimes that is an easy upgrade to do yourself. My 90s VW had fixed delay wipers. For I think it was $25 I bought the variable delay wiper relay and it snapped right in. Even better - it COULD be used as part of an upgrade for many other cars with a little re-wiring of that car.

Yep, I could, but I get so much mileage out of NOT having it on a originally $48k MSRP car (NOT my price).  I have had the cigarette lighter socket changed from EURO spec (2 mm wider) to US spec so charging plugs wouldn't keep falling out.

bostonjim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
I thought of this thread the other day when this thought occured to me:

"The seat warmers in my Lexus just get to darn hot!"

(Background: I bought a Lexus ES 300h hybrid: 6 years old, 90,000 miles.  It should last a long time, it's really comfortable, and it gets more than 40 MPG.  It was little bit -  ok, a few thousand -  more than a similar vintage Camry Hybrid, but a whole lot nicer.  Except for those damn seat heaters...  You may begin your sneering judgement now.)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »

(Background: I bought a Lexus ES 300h hybrid: 6 years old, 90,000 miles.  It should last a long time, it's really comfortable, and it gets more than 40 MPG.  It was little bit -  ok, a few thousand -  more than a similar vintage Camry Hybrid, but a whole lot nicer.  Except for those damn seat heaters...  You may begin your sneering judgement now.)

There should be multiple levels of settings for the heated seats. Are they too hot even on the lowest setting? I've also heard people complaining about the Lexus ventilated seats not cooling enough.

The ES 300h is a very nice choice. It's actually based on the Avalon platform so for comparison purposes the Avalon Hybrid would be more accurate than the Camry Hybrid.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »

I remember a story I read a few years back.

Lady starts getting intense hot flashes for no apparent reason.  She spends 6 months going to the doctors and getting tests run, nothing comes up.  Eventually her doctor tells her that there's nothing he can do for her and recommends  psychiatrist.   She goes to a few sessions and then her psychiatrist sits up straight and asks her a question.   Yes, she replies, she had bought a new car a bit over 6 months ago.   They go look at the car and discover it came with heated seats and they had been turned on.   Everytime she drove anywhere...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2019, 07:12:14 PM »

I remember a story I read a few years back.

Lady starts getting intense hot flashes for no apparent reason.  She spends 6 months going to the doctors and getting tests run, nothing comes up.  Eventually her doctor tells her that there's nothing he can do for her and recommends  psychiatrist.   She goes to a few sessions and then her psychiatrist sits up straight and asks her a question.   Yes, she replies, she had bought a new car a bit over 6 months ago.   They go look at the car and discover it came with heated seats and they had been turned on.   Everytime she drove anywhere...
God, I wish it was that simple to resolve hot flashes...

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
The most "first-world problem" of a sentence ever is . . .
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2019, 10:10:24 PM »
The first class lounge is at a different gate than our boarding gate

Or

This private jet doesn’t stock single malt scotch

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »
My FWP:  I'm FIREd  but there is STILL not enough hours in the day...

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2019, 04:55:53 AM »
https://youtu.be/bwvlbJ0h35A

My reaction was "This better be Weird Al..."

^Yeah, I feel like anything happening to a Porsche "collection" would be upsetting. This is why I do not have car collections.

This photo popped up in my Facebook feed (apparently from a found notebook) and I instantly thought of this thread.

Lol, that kid's list is EPIC. Love how he listed setting out plates AND silverware AND drinks as all separate complaints on his list, in addition to another line for having to set the table tomorrow. The good meter set on 99% bad seals it.

My wife loses her mind if I don't place the knife, fork, and spoon on the correct sides of the plate. I sympathize.

Put them in the positions a right-handed person would naturally pick them up in.  Simple.  Slightly less simple if you're left-handed, to be fair.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 05:02:54 AM by availablelight »

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »
This private jet doesn’t stock single malt scotch

"What do you mean you don't have anything older than 18 years?  Your manager's going to hear about this!"

bostonjim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »

There should be multiple levels of settings for the heated seats. Are they too hot even on the lowest setting? I've also heard people complaining about the Lexus ventilated seats not cooling enough.

The ES 300h is a very nice choice. It's actually based on the Avalon platform so for comparison purposes the Avalon Hybrid would be more accurate than the Camry Hybrid.

There are three levels - but the first level is scorching, the the next ones you could cook eggs on.  And I've only used the cooling once, but didn't notice all that much effect.  How can I drive under these conditions?  ;-)

But aside from that, it's a great car, and I hope it will last a long time.  From everything I have read, this thing at 90,000 miles is just barely getting broken in.  I have had several people congratulate me on my "new car" - and when I tell them how old it is they are amazed.   

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2019, 07:41:44 PM »
“This bull market has lasted so long that I don’t know what to do with my stockpiles of cash”

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »
“This bull market has lasted so long that I don’t know what to do with my stockpiles of cash”

Why do you have stockpiles of cash?

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
Why do you have stockpiles of cash?

A couple decades of experience has taught that busts always happen. And during a bust there is always amazing things to buy with cash

Basically been successful at market timing so I always stockpile cash

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/hello-from-canada-99808.html#post2297135
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:00:33 PM by nancyfrank232 »

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2019, 08:03:34 PM »
“I have 20 houses but I can only live in one”

“What’s the point of all this money if there’s nothing that I want to buy?”
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:44:55 PM by nancyfrank232 »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
From neighborhood blog:

“residents can only pick ONE night to watch the World Series from the roof”

Poster argues that residents should have priority over guests and be allowed every night. 

https://1221van.com/gallery/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:44:12 AM by BlueHouse »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »
BIL had given us a few Norwegian money notes that are no longer valid, in the hope that we can turn it into modern notes. He lives abroad and had this left over after a vacation here. It is so long invalid, that we cannot spent it or easily turn it into something else. DH has downloaded a document that he filled out. Now he needs to visit a certain place in Oslo where you can swap them and convince them that this is not black money from some sidegig. Luckily it is only 80 euros.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2019, 04:36:19 AM »
"I know it was free but it still pisses me off that it was so expensive."

- Me, whining about the cost of groceries I got for free with a $20 store coupon for transferring a prescription.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2019, 09:17:28 AM »
I need to take the afternoon off so I don’t max out my ETO (Earned Time Off = vacation + sick leave).

DoingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2019, 06:33:46 AM »
Overheard at a party ...

"We only HAVE five bedrooms!" - one of the couple that lives in the house (no children).

He was complaining that her crafting supplies were taking up more than two of those bedrooms.  She copped to "maybe" one and a half.