Author Topic: The Duchess of York  (Read 5822 times)

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
The Duchess of York
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:58:44 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

For your enjoyment, I give you The Duchess of York. 22 years after receiving a divorce settlement worth more than $4million, and despite numerous high paying brand ambassadorships, she has a net worth of only $1 million.  Me thinks she didn’t know about the 4% rule and didn’t read about saving 50% of your income.

http://www.ibtimes.com/whats-sarah-fergusons-net-worth-22-years-after-prince-andrew-divorce-2685131

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The Duchess of York
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:34:02 AM »
She has a long history of being terrible with money. (I never got into watching soap operas on TV, but love following the Royals and seeing what they will do next!)

Lucy_83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:50:12 AM »
"According to reports, Ferguson and Prince Andrew split after she was photographed in a scandalous scene with her financial advisor, John Bryan." - Oh the irony

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:00:21 AM »
Her biggest asset is her fame and notoriety, which would allow her to make gobs of money if she ever really needed it. Celebrity net worths tend to under-state this. In addition, they won't get "aged out" of the work force like regular folks do because of their star power, so retirement isn't really the same thing for them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:11:50 AM »
Rumor is she and Prince Andrew will get remarried after the Queen and Prince Phillip pass away. 
If that's the case, she'll be fine. 

I have no doubt she is mismanaging her money and is a spendaholic. But I also always wonder how these websites get any sort of information on actual net worth.

I'm pleasantly surprised her daughters work. Granted they are likely "look we have a Princess who works here" jobs; but Princess Eugenie has actually received a promotion recently at her job, and is said to work relatively normal full time hours.  Beatrice's job is a bit more mysterious.  But it's good they are figuring something out since Charles will probably cut them off as royals. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:23:44 AM »
I can't believe I just got sucked into reading an article about the royals!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
Princesses working honest jobs. Princes who serve in the military (as did the Queen; Harry actually saw action in Afghanistan). Could they possibly be decent people?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 03:39:42 PM »
She's a very strange woman. She comes across as having some major delusions of grandeur.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 12:38:00 AM »
She's a very strange woman. She comes across as having some major delusions of grandeur.
Well, when a person marries royalty and continues to hang out with those individuals even post-divorce, the grandeur isn't exactly a delusion. Her belief in her ability to participate in it (given her finances) might be.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 04:12:53 AM »
Well, when a person marries royalty and continues to hang out with those individuals even post-divorce, the grandeur isn't exactly a delusion. Her belief in her ability to participate in it (given her finances) might be.

She's got no class, she's not popular in that social set, she's not wealthy by their standards, she's not sophisticated, and she's not a business woman. I'd call her pretty delusional.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »
FWIW when they divorced, Fergie deliberately got a lower settlement  so she could remain on good terms with the Windsors.  I remember seeing some financial advice to her in “Money” or “New York Times” which she apparently hasn’t followed.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 06:40:19 PM »

She's got no class, she's not popular in that social set, she's not wealthy by their standards, she's not sophisticated, and she's not a business woman. I'd call her pretty delusional.

It's true she hasn't had the usual business career, although she's got multiple book publications in her own right. Not a lot of money management aptitude, yet that trait isn't generally associated with women of hereditary wealth. Men, yes. Women, less so. Class-wise I don't believe it's about socioeconomic standing or wealth over there anyway. She did not have an aristocratic title before she married but she was definitely to the manor born. She had plenty of aristocratic ancestors and was technically a distant cousin of the man she married. That's a stereotypical aristocratic move.

Of course, it's got to be hard to be born and raised in that environment or to marry into a royal family without acquiring at least a few delusions. I remember being mildly amused when I heard about her trying to lose weight by whacking her tush against the walls. But you're right, she doesn't have enough wealth to live a super-rich lifestyle or to insulate her from the consequences of some of the more outrageous or tasteless things she's done over the years. She hasn't been a "behaving" sort of royal bride.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
My wife getting into ancestry stuff has cured me over having a problem with cousins getting married.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »
Rumor is she and Prince Andrew will get remarried after the Queen and Prince Phillip pass away. 

I have no doubt she is mismanaging her money and is a spendaholic. But I also always wonder how these websites get any sort of information on actual net worth.

I'm pleasantly surprised her daughters work. Granted they are likely "look we have a Princess who works here" jobs; but Princess Eugenie has actually received a promotion recently at her job, and is said to work relatively normal full time hours.  Beatrice's job is a bit more mysterious.  But it's good they are figuring something out since Charles will probably cut them off as royals.

You might enjoy this documentary about Dukes (and Duchesses) called "The Last Dukes." Most of them at this point only have it as a title, as their predecessors squandered the fortunes their families originally had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_5guNuh0hU

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 09:08:36 AM »
The structure of the economy has changed. Noble titles were lucrative because they granted you the rights to income of a stretch of land. But land isn't the most important driver of economic growth now, it's capital and technology.

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »

You might enjoy this documentary about Dukes (and Duchesses) called "The Last Dukes." Most of them at this point only have it as a title, as their predecessors squandered the fortunes their families originally had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_5guNuh0hU
I enjoyed watching that documentary last night.  Thanks!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
I've long noted, with mild amusement, how the habits of the upper-upper class and the underclass are quite similar: family trees that don't fork much, lots of addiction and alcoholism, ridiculous names, and deliberate avoidance of anything resembling paid or compensated employment.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 08:00:01 AM »
My wife has really been into ancestry DOT com lately.

It's completely cured me of any concern about cousins getting married. If you think your cousin's* hot, just go for it. It's really not a problem.

*great grandparent in common is fine. Grandparent in common is not fine. But also, a lot of ancestry includes times when brothers in one household marry sisters in another household, so there's a lot of double cousins.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
I've long noted, with mild amusement, how the habits of the upper-upper class and the underclass are quite similar: family trees that don't fork much, lots of addiction and alcoholism, ridiculous names, and deliberate avoidance of anything resembling paid or compensated employment.

https://medium.com/@JohnLeFevre/50-things-rich-people-poor-people-have-in-common-48972e4cc116

1. Day drinking
2. Inbreeding
3. Eating cheese by itself
4. Stealing money
5. Fucking barnyard animals (à la David Cameron)
6. Paying with cash
7. Riding your bike to work
8. Eating pigeons and rabbits
9. Repurposed wood furniture
10. Being a minority in Connecticut
11. Not working
12. Wearing animal print
13. Letting other people pay for dinner
14. Florida
15. Yard games
16. Drinking from mason jars
17. Going to rehab
18. Hookers
19. Having a bunch of kids
20. Taxidermy
21. Getting someone else to drive you around
22. Gambling
23. Moving to a foreign country (One’s an expat; the other is a migrant)
24. Cocaine
25. Not knowing how to use the internet (à la Lindsey Graham)
26. A really long driveway
27. Cheating on a spouse
28. Owning a horse
29. Old cars
30. Wearing ragged clothes
31. Taking financial handouts from the government
32. Alcoholism
33. Having a tan
34. Nepotism (affirmative action for the rich)
35. A criminal record
36. Living in a hotel
37. PBR
38. Going to the racetrack
39. Drinking on a boat
40. The dad bod
41. Naming your daughter Mercedes or Porsche
42. A vegetable garden and a chicken coup in the backyard
43. Getting married at home
44. Dating someone half your age
45. VCRs (If you’ve ever stayed in an old rich guy’s guest house, you know what I’m talking about)
46. Adult children who still live at home
47. Orgies
48. Having a pool and a pond in the backyard
49. Letting someone else raise your kids
50. Bankruptcy

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »

She's also not the world's best writer, but I'm sure any Mustachian would have been able to FIRE from just the proceeds of Budgie the Little Helicopter.