Author Topic: The Dark Side of Early Retirement  (Read 3146 times)

Homeward_Bound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The Dark Side of Early Retirement
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:27:02 PM »
Was this shame or comedy?  Feels like comedy.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
It's Yahoo Finance, so either way it shouldn't be taken very seriously.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
Selfish? The writer can jump off a lake for all I care. I love how it is our duty to keep working so that we can pay taxes. Here's a counter to that, wouldn't it be "selfish" to keep working at a job that you don't want and don't need while there are unemployed people that would both love to get your job and do need the salary?

I personally hate the word "selfish," mostly because it seems to be used whenever someone is doing something, anything, differently. Oh, you don't want to marry an Indian, well then you are SELFISH!!!! (said to me not by my parents or siblings but various aunts and uncles and yes, cousins in my family). You don't want to work until you are a broken, bitter man? Then you are SELFISH! (said by my sister, though not the broken, bitter man part).

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
Selfish? The writer can jump off a lake for all I care. I love how it is our duty to keep working so that we can pay taxes. Here's a counter to that, wouldn't it be "selfish" to keep working at a job that you don't want and don't need while there are unemployed people that would both love to get your job and do need the salary?

I personally hate the word "selfish," mostly because it seems to be used whenever someone is doing something, anything, differently. Oh, you don't want to marry an Indian, well then you are SELFISH!!!! (said to me not by my parents or siblings but various aunts and uncles and yes, cousins in my family). You don't want to work until you are a broken, bitter man? Then you are SELFISH! (said by my sister, though not the broken, bitter man part).

The word "selfish" is used whenever another person is doing what doesn't advance the speaker's personal agenda. The speaker really, truly, honestly believes it's not "selfish" to make significant demands on another person's time, body, resources, or future, and that it's bad and inappropriate for the other person to refuse or even to insist upon an equal say. In pretty much every case, the speaker has something to gain by pressuring the other person to go along with the agenda. Sometimes the only gain is the satisfaction of having bludgeoned another human being into line. It's a power trip.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »
A family member used the "selfish" label on DW and I and it's just about killed our relationship with that person. DW and I are very giving with our time and mileage but apparently if we don't go the 'spendypants' path which is apparently more important than time together - we're selfish. Oh well... Whatever...