Author Topic: The Antimustachian Lazy Funk  (Read 12596 times)

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
The Antimustachian Lazy Funk
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
My wife and I purchased the wrong cat food, in bulk, from a local pet food store. It has been sitting in my car to return for 3 weeks now. at a total cost of almost $50.

boo to me. returning it today finally.

anyone else get like this over strange random things?

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Re: The Antimustachian Lazy Funk
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »
Yes, too many to mention, although I just noticed some shoes in my closet I need to return.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »
Ace Hardware.  Three stupid Torx screwdrivers that I need to return.  They sit in my garage, in the Ace bag with the reciept, ready to be returned, but I keep forgetting to grab it.

eliandjax1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
Happens to me also. I'm particularly bad about putting off fileing reimbursement reciepts from work. Literally I just have to send photo to corporate and they cut a check... still have 94 $ receipt in my wallet from last week.... guess ill submit it NOW!

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »
I have an almost $300 check in my purse that I got over a month ago and haven't deposited yet.  I should do that today...

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
Thanks.  Reminds me I need to cash that $90 check that's been sitting in my wallet for the past 4 days. 

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »
I am a master at this. But checks are easy to solve with a bank that offers mobile deposits.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »
I am a master at this. But checks are easy to solve with a bank that offers mobile deposits.

Yes, unfortunately the mobile deposit from one of my banks doesn't play well with my phone.  We use the other one regularly with no problems, but I hide the money from this job away at our little used bank. 

eliandjax1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
My guess is many on the forum has this problem lol. Wonder if we totalled up all checks, returns, etc from everyone inthe forum how much wealth is sitting out there unproductive? Maybe a good poll topic?

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
I just realized though, this can be a sign that you're doing just fine financially.  We don't *need* that $300 check.  I'd completely forgotten about it, something that would never have happened in the days that I was living paycheck to paycheck. 

I also need to send my boss a receipt for $60 for a conference registration.  It's as easy as it gets, I got an emailed confirmation, so I just need to forward it (yes, I'm doing that right now).  There were other folks at my work who were sweating about being able to pay the $60 registration fee, because it can take a month or so to get reimbursed.     

eliandjax1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »
I just realized though, this can be a sign that you're doing just fine financially.  We don't *need* that $300 check.  I'd completely forgotten about it, something that would never have happened in the days that I was living paycheck to paycheck. 

I also need to send my boss a receipt for $60 for a conference registration.  It's as easy as it gets, I got an emailed confirmation, so I just need to forward it (yes, I'm doing that right now).  There were other folks at my work who were sweating about being able to pay the $60 registration fee, because it can take a month or so to get reimbursed.     

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 01:06:18 PM »
True, but put your little green employees to work!

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »
Yes, unfortunately the mobile deposit from one of my banks doesn't play well with my phone.  We use the other one regularly with no problems, but I hide the money from this job away at our little used bank.

Is it possible to set up a transfer with minimal fuss?  My credit union allows me to store info about my other bank account, so that I deposit a check in the credit union -- then transfer it to other bank with minimal clicks.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 01:13:31 AM »
I do this with petrol claims from work. It's free money but I hate hate hate admin...

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 07:45:36 AM »
This isn't really antimustachian, but there are certain life errands that I dread to a completely unreasonable degree.  The biggest one is getting knives sharpened (I guess it would be antimustachian if I bought new ones instead, but I will eventually come around on this and figure it out).  I'm just not always sure life is worth living when you have to get your knives sharpened!

Obviously I'm being melodramatic, but seriously, I hate weird little things like that.

Actually I think this often pays off in mustachian behavior, because for instance I won't buy clothes that need to be dry cleaned because I hate going to the dry cleaners so much.  Simplify, slow home, all that jazz.

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 07:50:58 AM »
I've been saying I should go job hunting for the close to a year because I drive to work and get stuck in traffic daily. I just started last week because now I really couldn't wait anymore. Summer is coming, weather is starting to be really nice and when I spend from 5 to 6pm in my car looking outside at the beatiful weather I can't stand wasting all that time I could be enjoying the sun. Looking for something that is bikable from home so I'll really enjoy summer this year. Thing is, my job is great, my cowokers are great and the benefits are great too. It's just the commute that is shit so I have been putting this off for a long time.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 07:52:13 AM »
I don't buy enough tools. For instance, Monday I replaced ac condensor fan motor. I don't have a puller, files, anything like that, and since the only time I had to do this was around midnight I couldn't just run to the tool store. So now that I've bent the crap out of the fan getting it off of the motor shaft, I have to buy a $40 fan blade that I wouldn't need if I would just stock up on tools. Yes I tried to straighten it but it still wobbles a bit too much for me to feel good about the bearing.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
I think this would probably put me in the Antimustachian Hall of Fame, but confession is good for the soul, right??

I have a pre-tax bus commuter account that can only be used to buy bus tickets and is non-tranferrable.  I have $300 sitting in that account.  I could be buying bus passes and riding the bus to work, which has been my intention for more than six weeks.  HOWEVER, I HATE riding the bus and I have been driving the 11 miles to work instead and paying $7 a day (not pre-tax) to park.  My last day of work is June 2.  The way this pre-tax commuter account works is I have 90 days to use the money after I quit.  Then it's gone. 

So, I could be riding the bus essentially for free, but I'm driving 22 miles round trip and paying $7 a day in parking.  I am an idiot.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
This isn't really antimustachian, but there are certain life errands that I dread to a completely unreasonable degree.  The biggest one is getting knives sharpened (I guess it would be antimustachian if I bought new ones instead, but I will eventually come around on this and figure it out).  I'm just not always sure life is worth living when you have to get your knives sharpened!

If you're getting your knives sharpened by a pro, you probably would save by getting a nice sharpening stone like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6L6FA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems like a lot up front, but it will keep your knives near razor sharp with very little effort.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
been buying lunch out a lot this week as I've been so busy...boo. Will buy some lunch meats and leave them at the office.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »

If you're getting your knives sharpened by a pro, you probably would save by getting a nice sharpening stone like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6L6FA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems like a lot up front, but it will keep your knives near razor sharp with very little effort.

What does that do that the $3 sharpening stone from Harbor Freight doesn't?

(Not a sarcastic/rhetorical question, by the way... so far I've been too scared to try to sharpen my good knives myself.)

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 01:36:21 PM »
insofar as knife sharpening, as long as you don't press the knife against the block extremely hard like an idiot, sharpening knives is easy. watch a you tube video and you'll get the gist. pretty straightforward process.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
The word "sharpening" is a bit misleading. Knife blades need to be straightened regularly, because the tip of the blade bends when you use it. That's what a honing steel is for. Only if that isn't working anymore, you actually sharpen a knife with a stone. Since sharpening removes substance and uses up a knife it should always be your last resort.

Kepler

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 06:39:11 PM »
I just last week got around to claiming an insurance reimbursement for a medical procedure from December.  I can usually claim these online,and tried to do that promptly, but then just kept forgetting to take the receipt when I passed /right by the office/ every time I went in to work...  I felt particularly stupid when I found out that, due to high medical expenses last year, I got almost $500 back...  I had been expecting $120...

To be fair, I'm usually better than this.  The medical procedure was, I think, a bit frightening and depressing, so I think I just kept not wanting to make chitchat about it with someone in person.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 10:04:59 AM »
I've been saying I should go job hunting for the close to a year because I drive to work and get stuck in traffic daily. I just started last week because now I really couldn't wait anymore. Summer is coming, weather is starting to be really nice and when I spend from 5 to 6pm in my car looking outside at the beatiful weather I can't stand wasting all that time I could be enjoying the sun. Looking for something that is bikable from home so I'll really enjoy summer this year. Thing is, my job is great, my cowokers are great and the benefits are great too. It's just the commute that is shit so I have been putting this off for a long time.

If I were in  your shoes, I would be going househunting, and keep the job.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 10:10:56 AM »
What does that do that the $3 sharpening stone from Harbor Freight doesn't?

(Not a sarcastic/rhetorical question, by the way... so far I've been too scared to try to sharpen my good knives myself.)

A few quality of life things.  It gets the job done a lot quicker, doesn't require flattening, and can get your knives much sharper.   You'd need to buy another traditional stone or two at progressively higher grits to get the same level of sharpness, and they need maintenance which the DMT doesn't.

That said, all you really need is some sandpaper and scrap wood/clamps to sharpen your knives when it comes down to it.

As has been mentioned, this is kind of a once/twice a year thing in general unless you have some knives you abuse regularly.  A honing steel (unfinished bottom of a ceramic cup works fine here) is all that's needed for day to day. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:12:29 AM by joleran »

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:59 PM »
If I were in  your shoes, I would be going househunting, and keep the job.

Ugh, not even. My current work is in the middle of a big industrial area and it's really far from downtown. I'd rather keep living close to downtown and enjoy walking/biking everywhere than move to a neighbourhood close to work that's designed for cars (really long stretches of residential area with only schools and parks, every essentials located on the two main boulevards)

Plus, there are hundreds of jobs in software downtown and my girlfriend already works really close by.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
I think this would probably put me in the Antimustachian Hall of Fame, but confession is good for the soul, right??

I have a pre-tax bus commuter account that can only be used to buy bus tickets and is non-tranferrable.  I have $300 sitting in that account.  I could be buying bus passes and riding the bus to work, which has been my intention for more than six weeks.  HOWEVER, I HATE riding the bus and I have been driving the 11 miles to work instead and paying $7 a day (not pre-tax) to park.  My last day of work is June 2.  The way this pre-tax commuter account works is I have 90 days to use the money after I quit.  Then it's gone. 

So, I could be riding the bus essentially for free, but I'm driving 22 miles round trip and paying $7 a day in parking.  I am an idiot.

Can you buy bus tickets and then sell them to the public for a discount?

Might solve both problems.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »

Can you buy bus tickets and then sell them to the public for a discount?

Might solve both problems.
Technically, no.  I'm buying them with pre-tax $, so it's not allowed.  I might just put the money on "ConnectCards", which is what our bus system now uses instead of bus tickets, and then donate them to a charity.

avongil

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 06:54:40 PM »
I think everyone does it. I just had a 100$ bag of misc Home Disappointment random plumbing bits. The one's you throw in there so you don't have to go back mid project in case something goes wrong.  Sat in the basement for 3 months!  No harm done though, just laziness.

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
Actually considered hiring a plumber to install my dishwasher today.

These are Dark days, indeed.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
been buying lunch out a lot this week as I've been so busy...boo. Will buy some lunch meats and leave them at the office.

This has been my problem, lately. Everything has been crazy because I'm having to run errands at lunch and drive everywhere to do things that I've been buying lunch. It's bad for my wallet and waistline. Not to mention that because I have all these errands, I haven't been able to bike to work for a week and a half (no, I cannot bike to these errands during lunch). So I'm wasting money on gas, too, and being a general lazy butt.

I also broke down and got a lawn service to mow my lawn every other week. With just me, alone, it takes me all day to mow my front and back yard. By all day, I mean at least 5 hours. During the summer, in 100+ heat, I was getting close to heat stroke. It was ruining my weekends and frankly, I did a crap job. I would dread it so much I would come up with excuses my I couldn't do it that weekend. Then my lawn would grow so high that it was even worse to mow it the next weekend. So I got a lawn service and my life has been so, so much happier.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!