Author Topic: The anti-mustache house  (Read 18285 times)

annieatwebb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The anti-mustache house
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

Can anyone local report in on how that asking price compares to something of similar size in the area?

I'm a lurker, but this house is too much, I need to chime in!

The price is a little higher than the other homes in that acreage community, but when you adjust for the size (7,400 sqft!!) it isn’t especially surprising that it was listed at $1.2 Million. On the neighboring street, a home that isn’t stuffed to the rafters with junk is listed for $949,000.  It’s “only” 4,800 sqft, and is on a 1.5 acre lot, rather than a 2 acre lot.  It doesn't back to the creek, or have cattle that you can see from the pool (which is, apparently, a selling point, according to the listing for the crazy house.) 

I expect the owner will be disappointed though – Richmond is far enough outside of Houston that there are plenty of options for people who are looking to spend over a million dollars to buy a few acres.  Until that place is cleaned out and staged, it’s not going to show well. 

The local MLS site has captions with the photos.  (http://www.har.com/4302-colony-west-dr/sale_78077894)  These are my personal favorites:
Photo 1
…”From the moment you enter you will know an ARTIST lives here.”

Photo 8
(Notice the little girl in a swimsuit hanging upside down from the ceiling?)
Caption reads, in part: “…all the bookcases would be hard to fill for most folks.” 

Photo 11
… “Unfortunately the art goes with the artist.”

The listing agent must have spent hours trying to figure out just how to caption these photos!

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
The house itself is beautiful, I love the layout. But the clutter is a nightmare. It almost looks like hoarding.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
Those mannequins on the ceiling are freaking me out. I thought the one in the library was weird, but then I see the kid on the tricycle. And then the bear rug wearing a hat underneath the pool table.

I've looked at a ton of houses on Zillow/Trulia, and I've never seen such weird belongings/decor. And I've seen weird stuff.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »
I saw the first picture and liked the house, even if it was super excessive.

The interior.....

What realtor in their right mind would publish those pictures?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »
3% of $1.2 million is an awful nice incentive.
”From the moment you enter you will know an ARTIST lives here.”
No, there's nothing in this house that screams "artist" to me.  I don't see any sculpture, painting, or any sign that anyone is actually creating art.  Spending lavish amounts of money to fill your house with junk does not make you an artist IMO.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:22:49 AM by zolotiyeruki »

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »

I think I see an marketing opportunity if she succeeds here. When she is recruiting clients in the future, she can point to this listing and say, "If I can sell the infamous mannequin house, then surely I can sell yours too!"

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
I love the descriptions that try ever-so-hard to direct attention to the architectural features (look at those arches! and you can almost see the hardwood floors!) and away from those elephants in the room!

Wait wait wait...You saw elephants? I didn't see any elephants. Were they hiding behind Creepy Mannequin #512?   :)

And on another note, what the hell is a guest pit? Is that code for "burial ground for guests killed by the mannequins in the middle of the night"?
Keep looking! I'm sure I saw them!

or maybe it was something I ate...or drank...or maybe I hit my head on a flying mannequin...

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
I think I see an marketing opportunity if she succeeds here. When she is recruiting clients in the future, she can point to this listing and say, "If I can sell the infamous mannequin house, then surely I can sell yours too!"

I think you may be onto something.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
It seems like at some point it was a curated collection of someone who had a pretty eccentric, quirky style (which is fine, if that's your speed? Who are we to judge if creepy mannequins make you happy?)...and then they went WAY overboard and the stuff took control. Maybe hoarding.

There did seem to be numerous paintings in a similar style so they did seem resident-painted (not sure how marketable they would be; I have few contacts in the art world). If you missed the paintings you were NOT paying attention.

I personally think House on the Rock is pretty cool, but this house has a looong way to go as far as sorting and presentation to achieve that level of entertainment value.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »

I personally think House on the Rock is pretty cool, but this house has a looong way to go as far as sorting and presentation to achieve that level of entertainment value.

Agreed, when you reach the 270 carousel animal, 200 foot long, five story whale, level of decorating, it's pretty much game over for the competition.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »
This is my dream house, in remote Siberian village. It's quite the opposite of the anti-mustache house, as you can see.

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/last-in-a-remote-siberian-village-idUSRTSUXGN

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »
From the moment you enter you will know an ARTIST lives here.”
No, there's nothing in this house that screams "artist" to me.  I don't see any sculpture, painting, or any sign that anyone is actually creating art.  Spending lavish amounts of money to fill your house with junk does not make you an artist IMO.

I can see where the owner perhaps intended to create an art gallery/museum, but I'm calling BS on saying someone lives here. Out of 7400 square feet, you might be able to scrape together 1000 that a person could actually use for habitation.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2017, 05:25:08 PM »
From the moment you enter you will know an ARTIST lives here.”

I can see where the owner perhaps intended to create an art gallery/museum, but I'm calling BS on saying someone lives here. Out of 7400 square feet, you might be able to scrape together 1000 that a person could actually use for habitation.

Also, it's cleaner than any building with that amount of clutter and dust-collecting material has any right to be. Although in fairness not all the space in all the rooms was shown.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
This is my dream house, in remote Siberian village. It's quite the opposite of the anti-mustache house, as you can see.

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/last-in-a-remote-siberian-village-idUSRTSUXGN

If you're serious, you could live a very similar lifestyle, and about 95% as remote as Siberia, in rural Alaska. Pretty cheap buy-in too. I've passed through there a few times, it's a sleepy little town in summer, COL is very high, and it gets mind blowing cold, and dark in the winter. I once met a University prof. who retired from the lower 48 and was building a place outside if Tok, in his wife's native village. With the cold and the permafrost, building standard structures can be mess. He was building a ranch house on beams that could be adjusted as the structure moved with the seasons. This was on top of several inches of styrofoam, and gravel, so the heat of the house didn't melt the structure into the permafrost. Weird, but interesting.  Take a look at this place.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Tok-AK/pmf,pf_pt/house_type/2097268606_zpid/14152_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/65.030423,-139.048462,61.721117,-148.496705_rect/6_zm/

hightower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2017, 02:54:09 PM »
I admire their sense of humor...assuming that they find all of the art and creepy mannequins funny?  Also, they are borderline hoarders if you ask me.  That's not a good way to stage a 1.25 million dollar home for sale.  They need to hire someone to stage it for them and get all of that crap out of there. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2017, 12:05:56 AM »

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »
thousands and thousands of houses flooded in the Houston area but our "favorite" didn't
http://www.chron.com/homes/article/Famous-Mannequin-Mansion-in-Richmond-survived-12182906.php

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »

Interesting, and the captions are pretty hilarious.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!