Author Topic: The $263,000 Dodge Ram 1500  (Read 3647 times)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
The $263,000 Dodge Ram 1500
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:13:02 PM »
Yep, if you have more money than brains you can buy this custom Dodge Ram 1500, a truck which originally had at least some practical features (seating and payload capacity) for the few people who need that much vehicle, but which now has less payload capacity and fewer seats.  And it costs 10x as much as a standard one.  And it's ugly. 

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1116784_263000-coach-built-ram-1500-is-the-maybach-of-pickup-trucks
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:51:52 AM by JAYSLOL »

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The $263,000 Dodge Ram 1500
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
That car is absolutely hideous. For that you can get a brand new Mercedes S Class (much more luxurious) and still have $150k left over for activities.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:55:31 AM »
By far my 'favorite' feature for a truck:

I mean, who doesn't need four bottles of bubbly during a nice long ride through unimproved logging roads?

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
By far my 'favorite' feature for a truck:

I mean, who doesn't need four bottles of bubbly during a nice long ride through unimproved logging roads?

I know right? Everyone knows you need at least 5. A quarter mil doesn't go as far as it used to.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »
I thought the states where people needed big trucks to make themselves feel good had really strict laws on alcohol. Did I miss something where driving with an open container is now a good idea?

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »
I thought the states where people needed big trucks to make themselves feel good had really strict laws on alcohol. Did I miss something where driving with an open container is now a good idea?

Just get the blackout tinting and you should be good, don't want any glare while you are playing Xbox anyway.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
I just don't get who the market is for this.  Anyone who loves Dodge or pickups will be turned off by the fact that it's not a truck anymore.  Anyone who loves a luxury vehicle in that price range would be turned off by the fact it's a Dodge truck.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:25:10 AM »
I just don't get who the market is for this.  Anyone who loves Dodge or pickups will be turned off by the fact that it's not a truck anymore.  Anyone who loves a luxury vehicle in that price range would be turned off by the fact it's a Dodge truck.
Yeah, it's hard to see who would actually buy this when Land Rover offers a supreme-luxury SUV at about the same price but with better cache, and with the customizable luxury editions of the Lincon Nav and Cadillac Escalade out there. (Luxury SUVs are fair comparison here, since this is no longer a pickup sans bed).

...but I don't think selling them is the point for Dodge. Its a marketing ploy to get clicks and subtly suggest that Dodge can do luxury. They'll do a very limited run, sell a few dozen (or maybe a few hundred) to people who just like the ecclecticness of it and could care less about cost, and then it will be gone.
The auto-industry is rife with examples of these LTO, 'click-bait' cars that seemingly never had a market and were only produced for a few months.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 08:04:42 AM »
Yeah, it's hard to see who would actually buy this when Land Rover offers a supreme-luxury SUV at about the same price but with better cache, and with the customizable luxury editions of the Lincon Nav and Cadillac Escalade out there. (Luxury SUVs are fair comparison here, since this is no longer a pickup sans bed).

...but I don't think selling them is the point for Dodge. Its a marketing ploy to get clicks and subtly suggest that Dodge can do luxury. They'll do a very limited run, sell a few dozen (or maybe a few hundred) to people who just like the ecclecticness of it and could care less about cost, and then it will be gone.
The auto-industry is rife with examples of these LTO, 'click-bait' cars that seemingly never had a market and were only produced for a few months.

Dodge didn't make this.  Dodge has nothing to do with it, other than building the underlying Ram.  An aftermarket firm made the changes, just like most aftermarket firms make your "click bait cars", as building vehicles is extremely capital intensive, and very few companies can make short-run one-off type cars outside of the extreme high end manufacturers like Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, etc.

When money is no issue, you can afford to do things differently. That's exactly what the Italian firm Aznom Automotive has done with its Atulux pickup truck-sedan mashup. The coach-built pickup features extensive upgrades

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »
"Blue collar" millionaires are the target market for it. The comment about logging roads really isn't too off the mark either. If you have a couple sections of forest (2.6 sq.km) then odds are you have unimproved logging roads and need something more "rugged" to drive on it.

It's likely an incredibly niche market though.

It's for guys with way too much money who want something flashy.  Think Hollywood tough guy (Arnold with his Hummers), or oil-rich Sheiks.  For when you live somewhere full of Range Rovers and G-Class Mercedes and want to stand out. 

v10viperbox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 08:31:59 AM »
"Blue collar" millionaires are the target market for it. The comment about logging roads really isn't too off the mark either. If you have a couple sections of forest (2.6 sq.km) then odds are you have unimproved logging roads and need something more "rugged" to drive on it.

It's for guys with way too much money who want something flashy.  Think Hollywood tough guy (Arnold with his Hummers), or oil-rich Sheiks.  For when you live somewhere full of Range Rovers and G-Class Mercedes and want to stand out.

Those guys just buy bentayga's and cullinan's. They just do. I am around people like that daily.

If they want to slip under the radar then they get a Land Rover. Nobody is buying this thing.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »

Dodge didn't make this.  Dodge has nothing to do with it, other than building the underlying Ram.  An aftermarket firm made the changes, just like most aftermarket firms make your "click bait cars", as building vehicles is extremely capital intensive, and very few companies can make short-run one-off type cars outside of the extreme high end manufacturers like Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, etc.

Thanks for the clarification @Chris22 - guess that blows up my theory that it's Dodge's effort to instill a halo of 'luxury' to their brand.
Still doubtful this stunt will pay dividends.  Out of curiousity I googled 'most expensive SUVs' and there's a shocking number of six-figure options out there for people who want off-road capabilities in a super-lux package. Seems this converted Dodge would lose out on performance, luxury and price (not to mention attractiveness) to offerings by Land Rover, Mercedes, Porsche and others.

But of course I'll freely admit I don't know what the hell I'm talking about here... I'm not their market, nor will I ever be (regardless of my NW).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 08:54:30 AM »

Those guys just buy bentayga's and cullinan's. They just do. I am around people like that daily.

If they want to slip under the radar then they get a Land Rover. Nobody is buying this thing.

What do you do when you live in Beverly Hills or Dubai and every other car is a Cullinan or Bentyaga?  You buy something even more flashy and outlandish.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »

In Dubai, Range Rovers and G-Class Mercedes are run-of-the-mill.

In one of the industrial zones in Dubai I found a road full of businesses who specialize in removing chrome trim from vehicles and gold plating them, then re-installing. Every guy specialized in one or two marques. I found my Bizarro World. They love their muscle cars and American trucks, but gold-plating your F-150 is something else.

Outside my nephew's school, I saw a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 with custom dark gold trim, dirty gold painted wheels, and matte black paint/carbon fiber hood. Actually looked simple and sleek and tasteful. Unfortunately not allowed to take photos in the school zone.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!