Author Topic: The $200 machine that makes 75 cent tortillas  (Read 29743 times)

druth

• Bristles
The $200 machine that makes 75 cent tortillas
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:07:22 AM »
The Flatev literally kept me up last night just trying to figure out who would possibly be a good target market for Keurig but for tortillas.

Tortillas are really easy to make
They are 10 cents or less at the store
If you want "artisan" tortillas you can get those for probably still less than 75 cents, and the $200 initial cost would buy a lot of them.

I can't stand these single purpose kitchen gadgets, they are the height of consumerism, but it's fully funded on Kickstarter, so clearly there is a market.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: The $200 machine that makes 75 cent tortillas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:21 AM »
Nevermind.  I commented before checking the link.  Thought you could put your own ingredients in...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:17:56 AM by v8rx7guy »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
Nevermind.  I commented before checking the link.  Thought you could put your own ingredients in...

Nope, that would be almost sane.  It's little pods of a single ball of dough that cost about 75 cents per pod, so the machine will never pay off.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »

Well, here is one you can put your own ingredients in, but alas, it's only fifteen bux and there is no kickstarter to give you that tech-forward tingle.

I see you can get it used for less, but with mechanical moving parts and hot metal and all, I'd just be worried sick having kids sleeping in the same house with a used one, y'know?

Payoff? It will never payoff either if it has to compete with a flat dished rock beside an open cut brushwood fire.

But maybe its utility can be extended by using it to press bow-tie ends or crack peanut shells.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004UE8E/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »
What's the target market for this? I would guess it's the relatively small number of high earning enough to justify the expense Mexicans and Central Americans who are really into fresh tortillas but not enough to make them regularly? It seems nuts to me, but my Indian coworker preordered a Rotimatic, which is a similar idea, though it costs more and you add your own ingredients.

Flatbreads are a relatively inefficient way to produce carbohydrates compared to rice, pasta or the yeast leavened breads Europeans tend to eat, and an appliance like this might free up a lot of time for a person who made them for their family. My Indian coworker's MIL spent a couple hours a day making rotis for her entire extended family.

Aside from the consumable pod issue, I don't find it all that odd to spend that kind of money on a frequently used machine. I have quite a lot of money sunk into the tools for making the foods I eat. Two stand mixers, a food processor, a pressure cooker, springerle pin, an entire cupboard of baking pans of various sizes, a cookie press, more hand tools than I can count...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:49:16 AM by serpentstooth »

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
What a ridiculous idea, and an expensive one for that matter. Most latinos have a cheap "tortilladora manual" at home. We have one and use it all the time, so I wonder who the target market for this machine is.

But I said this about coffee pod machines like Keurig and look-alikes...Seeing how popular these are, I guess this might be a brilliant idea.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 12:03:25 PM »
What a ridiculous idea, and an expensive one for that matter. Most latinos have a cheap "tortilladora manual" at home. We have one and use it all the time, so I wonder who the target market for this machine is.

But I said this about coffee pod machines like Keurig and look-alikes...Seeing how popular these are, I guess this might be a brilliant idea.

My guess is that the target market is Latina Lady With a Job and Kids. I've made tortillas by hand, and even with a press, it takes some time. Make the dough, knead it, let it rest, separate the dough, ball it, press it, cook each one individually. An appliance where you can just drop in pods successively makes it a lot more likely that you can get dinner on the table within 30 minutes of walking in the door while your kids are making chaos, so you can eat in time to get out the door to Timmy's soccer practice on time. It's a tool. My husband I have lots of motorized tools to make our lives easier. You don't get a gold star when you die for doing chores in a more challenging way.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
What's the target market for this? I would guess it's the relatively small number of high earning enough to justify the expense Mexicans and Central Americans who are really into fresh tortillas but not enough to make them regularly? It seems nuts to me, but my Indian coworker preordered a Rotimatic, which is a similar idea, though it costs more and you add your own ingredients.

Flatbreads are a relatively inefficient way to produce carbohydrates compared to rice, pasta or the yeast leavened breads Europeans tend to eat, and an appliance like this might free up a lot of time for a person who made them for their family. My Indian coworker's MIL spent a couple hours a day making rotis for her entire extended family.

Aside from the consumable pod issue, I don't find it all that odd to spend that kind of money on a frequently used machine. I have quite a lot of money sunk into the tools for making the foods I eat. Two stand mixers, a food processor, a pressure cooker, springerle pin, an entire cupboard of baking pans of various sizes, a cookie press, more hand tools than I can count...

Just watched the Rotimatic video, and that makes a lot more sense.  It makes 15 at a time and uses any ingredients instead of re-usable pods.  Seems if you aren't frequently using the Flatev then you are wasting on having a big bulky machine, if you are using it a lot you are wasting on the horrible pods.

I don't think the idea of an automatic tortilla maker is itself horrible, just this one. :)

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »
The Flatev literally kept me up last night just trying to figure out who would possibly be a good target market for Keurig but for tortillas.

Tortillas are really easy to make
They are 10 cents or less at the store
If you want "artisan" tortillas you can get those for probably still less than 75 cents, and the $200 initial cost would buy a lot of them.

I can't stand these single purpose kitchen gadgets, they are the height of consumerism, but it's fully funded on Kickstarter, so clearly there is a market.

Agree with this. My wife recently wanted to buy a Sodastream, which basically makes flavored sparkling water, because my sister has one. I had to put my foot down and say no to more kitchen appliances. I already have the latte maker sitting on the counter that very rarely gets used anymore. I asked her what's wrong with regular water?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »
Did anyone else think of Arrested Development when they read about this?  Atleast the cornballer was only 1375.99 pesos.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »

I almost considered the rotimatic just now until I saw the price.. $1k!!!

I've made tortillas and agree it's really not hard.  I didn't even have the press, just rolled one out with the pin while another cooked.  The dough was simple, I didn't do any complicated steps just mixed flour water ... Maybe salt and baking power (I forget). 

But that was for like 8 tortillas on taco night.  It took maybe 15 min.  If I did that every night for a large family I might be happy to get the maker.  On the other hand maybe I can make my family help me cook!

qval

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 01:11:52 PM »

"I can't stand these single purpose kitchen gadgets, they are the height of consumerism, but it's fully funded on Kickstarter, so clearly there is a market."

Agree with this. My wife recently wanted to buy a Sodastream, which basically makes flavored sparkling water, because my sister has one. I had to put my foot down and say no to more kitchen appliances. I already have the latte maker sitting on the counter that very rarely gets used anymore. I asked her what's wrong with regular water?

It's mustacian if your wife doesn't drink regular water, and drinks milk or soda or juice instead of sparkling water. Think of the health and the cost benefits there...

We got one and now drink 3-4 Liters of sparkling water per day. $7 refill/60L is ~12 cents, plus the cost of the machine, which was $25 on craigslist. There's a guy locally who refills 'em from his 55L K-Bottle, so there's less shipping of CO2 cannisters to and from the store.

I dunno, there's some logic in the fact that all this stuff takes up storage, and weighs you down, and requires a bigger kitchen. But I ain't biking 4 gallons of sparkling water back from the store every week; I already gotta do that for our milk habit :)

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »

"I can't stand these single purpose kitchen gadgets, they are the height of consumerism, but it's fully funded on Kickstarter, so clearly there is a market."

It's mustacian if your wife doesn't drink regular water, and drinks milk or soda or juice instead of sparkling water. Think of the health and the cost benefits there...

We got one and now drink 3-4 Liters of sparkling water per day. $7 refill/60L is ~12 cents, plus the cost of the machine, which was $25 on craigslist. There's a guy locally who refills 'em from his 55L K-Bottle, so there's less shipping of CO2 cannisters to and from the store.

I dunno, there's some logic in the fact that all this stuff takes up storage, and weighs you down, and requires a bigger kitchen. But I ain't biking 4 gallons of sparkling water back from the store every week; I already gotta do that for our milk habit :)

Frugalwoods has a CO2 tank hack that would probably slash your costs further!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 01:26:37 PM »

I was the one who put down my foot on getting a sodastream, but after drastically cutting back the amount of alcohol I was drinking, our sparkling water bill from the grocery store was totaling around $10-15/month. Ridiculous. Not to mention the plastic liter containers I was recycling every few days. Sure, I could not drinking sparkling water when not drinking alcohol, but it's good at hitting that mental "ah, the day is done" note better than regular water or tea (the other two things I drink). With sparkling water in the house, both our bar and liquor-at-home budget was going down rapidly (from $50/month to $14/month).

When we had the opportunity to get a sodastream for free, I reconsidered having it. We haven't had to replace the cartridge yet, but I'm planning on DIYing it because I don't want to support the sodastream company because their factory is in an illegal west bank settlement.

While there was no initial cost to us for the soda stream, the recurring cost will be about 1/3 the cost of getting sparkling water in bottles and will, on average, lower my liquor and bar budget by $516 annually. If we had bought it, it would've paid for itself in 3 months.

That being said, this fucking tortilla keurig is insane.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »

We used to have a CO2 Doctor but the soda stream eventually gave out so now we have a Fizz-Gizz that attaches directly to a CO2 tank and fills standard water bottles with a special cap.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »

Well, here is one you can put your own ingredients in, but alas, it's only fifteen bux and there is no kickstarter to give you that tech-forward tingle.

I see you can get it used for less, but with mechanical moving parts and hot metal and all, I'd just be worried sick having kids sleeping in the same house with a used one, y'know?

Payoff? It will never payoff either if it has to compete with a flat dished rock beside an open cut brushwood fire.

But maybe its utility can be extended by using it to press bow-tie ends or crack peanut shells.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004UE8E/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

You were joking about the hot metal right?  You don't cook tortillas on that thing. Just press them.

I actually really would like one of these. Making flour tortillas by hand is super easy, but it takes a ton of skill to roll out really nice corn tortillas. The ladies I've seen doing it when I go to Mexico are absolutely amazing.

Grocery store tortillas are totally ruined for me now. Handmade ones are amazing.

Unless we go to Texas. HEB has people hand make them in store :)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 02:51:16 PM »
You were joking about the hot metal right?  You don't cook tortillas on that thing. Just press them.

I actually really would like one of these. Making flour tortillas by hand is super easy, but it takes a ton of skill to roll out really nice corn tortillas. The ladies I've seen doing it when I go to Mexico are absolutely amazing.
The OP meant a used version of the automatic machine

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »

The OP meant a used version of the automatic machine

I don't think so. That machine isn't even available yet, so a used one surely isn't.

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 03:15:27 PM »

We don't drink soda or juice. It's basically water, coffee and beer in our house. My in-laws always moan about it when they come visit and bring their own soda.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
+1 for the sodastream. I use it a lot and love it, get at least 3L of sparkling water a day, and am not making rubbish with disposable bottles. I have mine unflavoured, but keep a bottle of cordial (juice concentrate) for bubbly treats for DS on the weekend. Much cheaper and better For you than soda or alcohol!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »
Costco sells raw tortillas for much less than $0.75 each, which I'm sure taste at least as good as these and take about 30 seconds to make. No fancy machine needed, just a pan on a stove.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 11:37:06 PM »

We don't drink soda or juice. It's basically water, coffee and beer in our house. My in-laws always moan about it when they come visit and bring their own soda.

LOL! I had some friends and a cousin over for a sushi night a week ago and asked my cousin to bring drinks, I normally only have water and tea available, he said he would but was running late. When he came he asked if he could have a diet coke, I said, "Sure, but there aren't any here." He looked disappointed, but then laughed.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 01:39:34 PM »
Costco sells raw tortillas for much less than $0.75 each, which I'm sure taste at least as good as these and take about 30 seconds to make. No fancy machine needed, just a pan on a stove.

Looks to be 20cents per tortilla... Still too high IMO!  But in researching this, I saw Costco also sells pre made crepes at a 50cent unit price.  Might be fun for a party or something as making crepes is much more of a pain

qval

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »

Yeah, I've spent some time investigating how to lower the cost, but all of the options are $50, plus a big CO2 tank, which is another $80-120. I'll see if this fad becomes a lifestyle before I drop that kind of money. And really, am I not better investing the money in the stock market and using the dividends and other gains to pay for my CO2 refilling habits :) ?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »

Yeah, I've spent some time investigating how to lower the cost, but all of the options are $50, plus a big CO2 tank, which is another $80-120. I'll see if this fad becomes a lifestyle before I drop that kind of money. And really, am I not better investing the money in the stock market and using the dividends and other gains to pay for my CO2 refilling habits :) ?

I've been dealing with the same issue. I'm trying to decide if not supporting the illegal settlement of the West Bank is worth the investment into the CO2 setups to get away from sodastream's monopoly.

LPeters

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 12:17:15 AM »
OMFG guys, but did you see—

If you back at the $599 level you get FREE shipping!

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 06:35:44 AM »
The target market is hipsters. It's always hipsters.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »
The target market is hipsters. It's always hipsters.
As a landlord with some single or young professional DINK tenants, hipsters are the weirdest applicants. Latest fashion trends, cars, hairstyles, knowledge of the local food scene, etc. is all good, but fuck if they have a real dollar bill in their wallet. They want to rent a 1/1 condo, with wood floors and granite, for $1000+ monthly, but can't afford to pay application fees. OK, I may waive that, but I am not giving you a 50% discount on the security deposit. In fact, my "special rate" is 2-3x. The same applies to the rich students at the private university in downtown, most of them come from the north east or international. Asswipes couldn't peel a garlic clove to save their life, no life skills taught by parents.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Jinga is teaching our 4yo to peel garlic, peel ginger with a spoon, learning about the basics of indian cooking, baking.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:47:31 AM by jinga nation »

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 08:49:52 AM »
+1 for the sodastream. I use it a lot and love it, get at least 3L of sparkling water a day, and am not making rubbish with disposable bottles. I have mine unflavoured, but keep a bottle of cordial (juice concentrate) for bubbly treats for DS on the weekend. Much cheaper and better For you than soda or alcohol!

+1 on this. I love mine and can drink 3-4 bottles of (unflavored) yummy soda water a day. Helps to cut down on alcohol for me as well.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 04:26:29 AM »
Did anyone else think of Arrested Development when they read about this?  Atleast the cornballer was only 1375.99 pesos.

Yes!

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 06:56:21 AM »
$200 tortilla maker? I wish my Hispanic grandma was still alive- she would've laughed herself silly over that one.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 10:42:47 AM »
My favorite part about this is that the tortilla pods only last six weeks and have to be refrigerated. What the actual F?

Locally-made tortillas cost me $1.19 for 30 at the grocery store (they were still warm when I picked them up the other day), and I don't even live in an area with a particularly large Central American population. Once in a while I've splurged on fancy organic heirloom corn tortillas, and even those are only around $0.25 apiece!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
Locally-made tortillas cost me $1.19 for 30 at the grocery store (they were still warm when I picked them up the other day

Wow, I wish my grocery stores had freshly made tortillas, they just sell the commercial crap. A restaurant here used to offer freshly made tortillas for sale, but they've stopped doing it. It would be great for a taco party to show up with a bunch of these as I don't recall them charging all that much for them.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 04:47:05 AM »
It takes literally 5 minutes to mixed/press corn tortillas (masa) with the press posted above. Then while the meat/chicken/steak is cooking, you can also cook the shells. How the fuck is this such a complicated thing that someone needs to buy a machine to make one tortilla at a time?

Five minutes? What the hell are you talking about.  I must have your secrets.  My blue-corn masa takes a day of soaking before it can even be started grinding, mixing, running it through the metate, pressing etc. It takes me more than five minutes per batch just in the metate. But soooo worth it for those fresh, yummy home made tortillas. Can't even imagine paying money for the crap they sell in the store...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
It takes literally 5 minutes to mixed/press corn tortillas (masa) with the press posted above. Then while the meat/chicken/steak is cooking, you can also cook the shells. How the fuck is this such a complicated thing that someone needs to buy a machine to make one tortilla at a time?

Five minutes? What the hell are you talking about.  I must have your secrets.  My blue-corn masa takes a day of soaking before it can even be started grinding, mixing, running it through the metate, pressing etc. It takes me more than five minutes per batch just in the metate. But soooo worth it for those fresh, yummy home made tortillas. Can't even imagine paying money for the crap they sell in the store...

Days?  It takes me months of growing my own heirloom corn before it can even be harvested, much less tortillafied

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »

Days?  It takes me months of growing my own heirloom corn before it can even be harvested, much less tortillafied

Starting to make a pod machine make sense, in an odd way...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »

Months?  It takes me decades of developing my own strain of heirloom corn before they can even be planted, much less harvested.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »

This is AMAZING!  I just made a couple dozen tortillas the other day and I was venting that no matter how many I make they never come out as perfectly (or even close to) round as my grandmother's would!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
lol.... this is the most ridiculous thing i've heard of. maybe some hipster restaurant will buy 50 of these to pump out 50 tortillas at a time to make things go faster. after all, time is money.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
lol.... this is the most ridiculous thing i've heard of. maybe some hipster restaurant will buy 50 of these to pump out 50 tortillas at a time to make things go faster. after all, time is money.

This would be a better purchase:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MaK6xCCJH9c

There was a time when Chevys Fresh Mex was actually good (a decade ago)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »

Oh man, you just brought me back to the day! Total nostalgia. I used to love Chevy's - the fajitas platter! The only other place I've been to that has a machine like this is Mamacitas in TX. I think I'm going to look for one of these machines and put it in our kitchen now - thanks for causing the impulse purchase :P

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 03:24:44 PM »

Oh man, you just brought me back to the day! Total nostalgia. I used to love Chevy's - the fajitas platter! The only other place I've been to that has a machine like this is Mamacitas in TX. I think I'm going to look for one of these machines and put it in our kitchen now - thanks for causing the impulse purchase :P

In  my search for a decent video, I saw several of these for sale used - general asking price seems to be $25k

I found the more compact BETA 450  (sweet video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW76KAWn9PQ) for a mere $20k

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 04:01:13 PM »

In  my search for a decent video, I saw several of these for sale used - general asking price seems to be $25k

I found the more compact BETA 450  (sweet video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW76KAWn9PQ) for a mere $20k

Wow, might as well buy 100 of the Flatevs for that price... nah, but then you'd have to hire 100 people to operate each one, and that definitely wouldn't be as efficient. :)

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »
Related:

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2016, 12:34:57 AM »
Related:

I think I'm missing something...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2016, 12:55:35 AM »
Related:

PA has really gone downhill.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2016, 01:51:56 AM »
Related:

Actually, that part was pretty clear...

Or was that the entire premise of the comic?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2016, 01:55:35 AM »
Related:

Actually, that part was pretty clear...

Or was that the entire premise of the comic?

But they Only live for 20 seconds!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahaha
Ha