Author Topic: the $1000 junior prom outfit (glad I have boys)  (Read 9692 times)

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
the $1000 junior prom outfit (glad I have boys)
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
Dress -- $500
hair highlights -- ??  $90?  $100?
Mani / pedi
Jewelry
shoes

who knows what else?

A girlfriend said it is adding up to $1,000.  Whew!

I have boys, they just need a suit, corsage and some prom tickets / meal out with the date, right? 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: the $1000 junior prom outfit (glad I have boys)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »
A suit to prom? Try a tuxedo. And in many circles (like the kind where girls buy $500 dresses) I think the boy is expected to pay for a limo rental as well.

Fortunately, they don't have some kind of money detector at the door making sure that you spent the minimum amount. I'm pretty sure that when I went to prom, it was clear that anything I spent would come out of my personal funds.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »
Tux=$60
Corsage=$50
Dinner for two=$40
Limo=can't remember but there was six of us pitching in (and a one way trip).

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
Hair highlights are such a scam.  I don't understand how any woman pays for them.

1) They look unnatural most of the time.  Hair is not supposed to have stripes.
2) They look really bad when they start to grow out.
3) They cost so much money and time to maintain. 

Natural highlights look amazing, and all you have to do is spend some time outside in the summer.

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:08:31 AM »
Don't forget the tickets!  Probably $100 each!  And limo can cost $1000 - even splitting that is mucho bucks. And don't forget spray on tan!  And after prom party and breakfast!  Ouch!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:39:19 AM »
Don't forget the tickets!  Probably $100 each!  And limo can cost $1000 - even splitting that is mucho bucks. And don't forget spray on tan!  And after prom party and breakfast!  Ouch!

Spray tan for an evening event?

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
My mom makes a nice side hustle hemming altering and repairing prom dresses.

She found out the stores were charging hundreds of dollars.  She does it for a fraction of that.  Only takes her a few minutes and it's nearly pure profit.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
I wore a BCBG dress that I picked up for $20, had it sized down for $15. Did my own hair and makeup and nails. Most of the girls in my school probably spent around 1k, of course no one could tell and I still got lots of compliments.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:07 AM »
this shit is seriously insane.

I remember I felt super duper guilty because my mom paid $300 for my junior prom dress. it was a beautiful dress but yikes! senior prom dress was $120.

I got my hair done professionally for junior prom, and hated it. I hate overdone, over-hairsprayed "updos." senior year, a friend who was a sophomore and not going to prom came over and did hair and makeup for me and a couple other friends. so much fun!! I didn't get my first professional manicure until I was 24 and I've never dyed my hair, I like the way it looks now and I don't want to fuck it up.

junior year, my boyfriend just drove us in his regular car. senior year, the friend I went with was into fixing up cars with his dad and brother, so he drove us in a 1960s Camaro, blue with white stripes. way more fucking awesome than a limo!

seriously, even when I was in high school, and mostly oblivious to money (and truly, so were my parents), I feel like I would have had to work REALLY HARD to spend the kind of money you hear about people spending!!! and prom was super fun, I was on the prom committee and student council and not a party pooper at all. I just don't get it.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »
Some girls do spend this kind of money, but the average girl probably spends $300 or so.  Yes, that's still an outrageous amount for one evening, but it's a far cry from $1000 and it's a highlight of their high school experience. 

A few girls really do it cheaply -- almost free except for tickets.  A borrowed dress, shoes they already own, a single rose or a carnation corsage, skipping the limo.  And some people even go out to dinner at places like Taco Bell.  I knew of two moms last year who went to Taco Bell ahead of time and put out tablecloths and flowers, ordered ahead of time, and then their kids' group arrived and "dined" on tacos!  Apparently it was the hit of the evening, and everyone wished they'd been in on the taco meal.  Thing is, in the long run, no one can tell the difference between the cheapskates and the $1000 girls.

Senior year my own daughter went with a guy-friend.  She had a $50 dress from a clearance table (looked GREAT on her and is something she might actually wear again, say, on a cruise or to a college dance) and shoes and jewelery that she already owned.  They went dutch for tickets and dinner, and she had a great time. 

What makes me sad, however, are the girls who THINK they can't do it because they can't afford the big, big money -- so they miss an experience that they wanted because they don't realize it can be had for next to nothing.  Kids talk and talk about it, and some kids get the idea that if they can't play in that league, they're just OUT. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »
So glad my boys grew up when no one rented a limo.  They all drove their old cars or their parents.   I always figured the girls parents had more expenses so gave my boys $ to take their date to a nice restaurant.  Renting a tux, buying corsage was cheaper then what the girls parents had to spend.  It's a shame that things are getting so carried away.  It's not a wedding-it's prom!

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
My son is heading to his senior prom next month and needs a tux. The local rental place gets $300!!!!!!! to rent for 1 night and my wife actually approached me to take him there. WTF? 300 for a tux rental. I looked in his closet and he owns a black suit he wears to his formal music nights. I told him to wear that and I give him a few spending bux on the big night. He was all for it. What a colossal waste of money!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
Prom is like most other "stuff" mentioned here, one can spend an unlimited amount and declare it required, or one can spend little more than the cost of the ticket.

I went to prom three years in a row.   My mother made my first prom dress, got the second at TJ Max, and third was bought off-season at a BCBG outlet.    Don't remember exact costs, but no way would I have paid more than $50 for each.     Wore the same shoes to all three (hand-me-down sparkly ones from my mom that I still own 15 years later and are still my favorite formal shoes).

I did my own hair and nails and makeup.   Boom...prom done, looked great, and really not very expensive at all.   IME the guys spent more on dinner, tickets, and splitting the limo cost.   But, even none of these expenses other than tickets are required and could have been done of the cheap if chosen to.

Cyanne

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
My son's prom is tomorrow. Even for boys it is expensive.
Tux rental-$140.00 that is after using a $40.00 off coupon.
Tickets-$70-bought right away because the price goes up the closer to the prom date.
Corsage-$35.00 for his date and he did not order a boutoniere
Dinner-? They are going out for sushi so it could get pricey.

There will not be a limo or hotel room.

I figure it will cost around $350.00

My daughter's prom dress which I bought a few years ago was $200.00. Her date had pid for dinner and the tickets.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »
Tickets-$70-bought right away because the price goes up the closer to the prom date.

There will not be a limo or hotel room.

I figure it will cost around $350.00

$150 for sushi?   Insane (IMHO, of course).

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
I am pretty sure I spent more on alcohol than I did on my tux, limo, hair (I had a huge afro at the time that needed special attention) and dinner for my dates.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 06:20:24 AM »
So glad my boys grew up when no one rented a limo. 
From a teacher who sees it every year:  The limo thing is not really a recent craze, but it's an example of how kids attempt to "one up" one another:  Someone came to prom in a limo and looked way cool, so then other people had to do it.  Now at least half the kids arrive in a limo, and it's almost expected.  Now the kids who can arrive in some expensive AND unusual way are the ones who get all the attention:  I've seen horse-drawn carriage a couple times.  And someone in our area owns a bus that looks like a trolley (open on the sides), and a group came in that.  Our church used to do "the prom bus" -- they'd decorate the church bus, and all the church kids /their dates came together. 

A few years ago -- for a period of perhaps 2-3 years -- we had a small "revolt" against the expense and the "one upping".  For a couple years we had a small group of popular girls who came to prom in a group (no dates -- no dates on purpose; these weren't girls who weren't asked).  They wore dresses that were nice . . . but not formal.  Dresses that could've doubled as their graduation dresses, could've been worn to a nice dinner.  And for that couple years they were very adamant about trying to bring about a new philosophy:  It's just one evening.  Come and dance with your friends, but choose a dress that you'll wear again.  Go to prom, but don't up-size it into something unattainable. Unfortunately, when that group of girls graduated and left, their philosophy went with them.  I know that other kids wish they could do this, but these girls were the ones who could really pull it off. 

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 07:52:59 AM »
I have 3 boys, IF it seems they might all go to prom, I think buying an inexpensive tuxedo might be worth it, but I can't imagine them even wanting to go to prom, I bet you could buy a used tux for $100 or less.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
I actually think the limo is a great idea. If the other option is to drive yourself, then the limo is a much better choice. Prom is a very popular time for students to get drunk and indulge in other mind altering substances. My parents and the parents of my friends all were happy to pay for a limo to make sure none of us would be driving. I know, just make sure they dont drink. But how likely is that going to be for a large number of students. It may be expensive, but I think it is worth the cost.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 10:10:04 PM »

$35 for a CORSAGE?  WHAT?  A corsage?  Holy crap.   I never tried sushi until after college and after I was working for 5 years.  Wow.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
I have 3 boys, IF it seems they might all go to prom, I think buying an inexpensive tuxedo might be worth it, but I can't imagine them even wanting to go to prom, I bet you could buy a used tux for $100 or less.

My 3 boys won't be close to fitting in the same clothes…. but I could see checking Ebay or something to get clothes, and then resell them when they're done with them? 

I think going to prom is fine.  I did not go to junior prom, but I went to a senior dance with my girl friends.  It was OK. 

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »
Here is an article about costs:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/09/pf/prom-spending/

Also, I have noticed that the way the boys ask the girls is getting really crazy -- scavenger hunts,  etc.  Almost like wedding proposals.  I think it is kind of strange, to be honest. 

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 05:23:34 AM »
Tonight is my son's prom.  He is going with a huge group of friends, they paired up as dates for the prom, but none of them are actual couples.  Our expenses were 2 prom tickets (160) and a tux rental (111).  He said his friends have no interest in a limo, and only a few of the kids arrived in one last year.  We do live in a upper-middle-class area where I expected that more would go the limo route.
What drives up the expense even more is that they have expanded it into a giant long weekend of fun - the day after the prom is a professional baseball game, the next day is a visit to an amusement park.  Gas, tickets, and food really add up.  Hopefully he'll be paying us back once the summer job paychecks start coming in.
I really can't say that I mind, since these kids will all be going their separate ways after graduation.  Maybe I'm a little jealous.

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »

A few years ago -- for a period of perhaps 2-3 years -- we had a small "revolt" against the expense and the "one upping".  For a couple years we had a small group of popular girls who came to prom in a group (no dates -- no dates on purpose; these weren't girls who weren't asked).  They wore dresses that were nice . . . but not formal.  Dresses that could've doubled as their graduation dresses, could've been worn to a nice dinner.  And for that couple years they were very adamant about trying to bring about a new philosophy:  It's just one evening.  Come and dance with your friends, but choose a dress that you'll wear again.  Go to prom, but don't up-size it into something unattainable. Unfortunately, when that group of girls graduated and left, their philosophy went with them.  I know that other kids wish they could do this, but these girls were the ones who could really pull it off.

Can I just say that is really awesome. I hope the teachers/principal told those girls how great it was what they were doing.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
I graduated back in '96, so I admit I am a few years past all this.  I went to prom my sophomore year because I was asked by an older friend, and my senior year I went with a guy I worked with because we thought it would be fun.  My dress and shoes each time was maybe $100, tops.  I did my own hair and makeup.  The second time we went with a big group and did rent a limo, but I think it came out to $25 each.  Thankfully the guys bought the tickets both times, but that included the dinner so no extra costs.  No hotel costs (my parents so would not have allowed that!), but the sponsored after-prom party at the bowling alley was way fun and I think about $20.  We never bought the overpriced pictures they take when you come in the door, or did any of the other crazy stuff.  I never discussed actual costs with my friends, but I'm pretty sure their costs were pretty in line with mine.  I just boggles my mind that people would spend $1000 on a one-night prom.  I know spending any more than I did would not have added anything to the experience.  I had a really nice time, even with a small expense.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »
Prom doesn't cost $1000 any more than a car costs $50k.  Certainly, one can spend those amounts easily, but there are plenty of other options and plenty of people who spend less, and even way, way less. 

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
I just skipped the prom completely when I was in high school. Can I retcon things and say I was building my 'stache?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
My daughter found a $5 dress at a consignment shop for her prom dress this year...made me think that deep down inside that iPhone wielding girl there is a budding Mustachian (and yes, she bought her own phone and pays for the service). Her friends spent from$100 to $500on dresses.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Don't most prom dresses hit the floor by midnight anyway?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
Got the debriefing on my sister's prom last night from mom. In spite of initial fears that there were  *NO* acceptable dresses under $300 anywhere, they snagged a gorgeous one last-minute at JCP for $50 on sale.  Looked like a million. :)

In my day I sewed my dress; actually cost about the same as the one I liked at the store, perhaps a tad more. But it was unique. Flowy medieval number with dagged sleeves. My friend group was all geeks and we flaunted it shamelessly :D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!