Author Topic: Tesla's shattered T-shirt costs half a Cybertruck preorder  (Read 3289 times)

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
Tesla's shattered T-shirt costs half a Cybertruck preorder
« on: January 15, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »
The Bulletproof tee, as it's labeled, lists at $45, before taxes and shipping.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/15/tesla-selling-cybertruck-shattered-glass-t-shirt/

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Tesla's shattered T-shirt costs half a Cybertruck preorder
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 03:44:10 PM »
Brilliant marketing, at least!

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:30:25 AM »
I don't usually truck conspiracy theories, but I really wonder if that whole "broken glass" thing was completely staged to get attention in the news.

Similar with the Peloton ad.  Some marketing executive: "Lets make an ad that'll just slightly controversial enough to potentially trigger a few oversensitive SJW types, which will then trigger a bigger backlash from the right wing / anti-PC crowd (maybe a few will rage-buy it just to "own the libs"). Either way the manufactured controversy will get in the news for days on end during high-shopping time."

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:30:45 AM »
I don't usually truck conspiracy theories, but I really wonder if that whole "broken glass" thing was completely staged to get attention in the news.

Similar with the Peloton ad.  Some marketing executive: "Lets make an ad that'll just slightly controversial enough to potentially trigger a few oversensitive SJW types, which will then trigger a bigger backlash from the right wing / anti-PC crowd (maybe a few will rage-buy it just to "own the libs"). Either way the manufactured controversy will get in the news for days on end during high-shopping time."

I'm gonna go with Occam's Razor here. Tesla and Peloton folks are just as error-prone and short-sighted as everyone else.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »

You really could not have planned the Peloton ad effect, it mostly came down to people having a subconscious reaction to the expression on the actress's face and then extending that reaction to the already intense social discourse around luxury goods, fitness industry, etc.

It's actually remarkably difficult to predict how things will be received by the public and what will go viral or what kind of messaging will be attached to that viral content as it moves through the collective space.

It's much more likely that top PR and marketing teams mobilize rapidly to try and capitalize on anything that grabs public attention.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »

My understanding is that hitting the door with a sledgehammer just before the demonstration weakened the glass to the point where it could shatter. I haven't actually watched the video. I'm sure both things were tested separately and worked as planned. Or if they were tested together the person hit in a different area that didn't affect the glass.

The introduction of such a radical design, and anything to do with Tesla was already guaranteed to get a whole lot of press coverage. So I don't think there would have been any benefit in staging something that calls into question the design or product quality.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 07:56:44 AM »
As an aside, it would now take THREE T-shirts to make up a Cybertruck preorder ;)

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 01:01:58 AM »
Musk generated $10M of revenue by selling "not a flame thrower" at the Boring Company...this was based on Space Balls...dude basically prints his own money.