Author Topic: Tell Me What You Think  (Read 2813 times)

Filsilva

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tell Me What You Think
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
A year ago I wouldn't have thought anything of this article. Today, after reading on MMM and several other sites on early retirement, it almost makes me want to laugh at how they seem to be so paranoid.  Am I too harsh?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/household-finances/a-financial-plan-to-enjoy-life-more/article4242694/

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Tell Me What You Think
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »
I don't think they're being paranoid, they just have no idea how inflated their lifestyle is, and how much they are throwing away.

Why are they throwing away so much each month?

$300 a month in life insurance when they already have enough assets to live a life of luxury without additional income?
$350 in gifts
$300 in drinks
$335 for phone and internet (WTF?)
$840 on capital improvements (on a $310,000 home that insane, and must stop some day soon).

Going through their expenses it appears the could live of $3,000 a month with very little reduction in lifestyle. Which is only 1/3rd of their post retirement income - in which case it's insane that they are worrying.

Uncephalized

• Stubble
Re: Tell Me What You Think
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
Combined pension incomes of $96,000 a year and they're worried about not having enough to make ends meet in retirement? Are they insane? That's twice my household income and we have plenty of money!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!