Author Topic: Television Facepunch Edition  (Read 4282 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Television Facepunch Edition
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
I got a surprise bonus at the end of the year (yay me).

DH spent it on....drumroll please....a new $3K 75 inch television.  (This is for a house that doesn't have cable.) Plus, Santa brought it for the family on Christmas morning --- so we can't take it back (per DH).  Can we afford it?  Yes - it is 1% of our annual income.  Did we need it? No.

His justification was that the downstairs TV for the kids went caput so we needed a new TV and that we could move our old family room TV to the basement because it wasn't big enough and was old 1080 something technology instead of some 3K/4K? number.  (It is 60".) 

My plan was to pay down our mortgage with it. After discussion, he kept the new TV (which is way too big).  However, he did agree that in 3/16, I get to take double the $3K ($6K) from his guaranteed bonus amount and use it to pay down the mortgage. Yes, there are communication issues in our family. 

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
Re: Television Facepunch Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
Ok, now I have to know if you actually punched him in the face, because I can imagine you were pretty incensed.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 02:17:16 PM »
DH spent it on....drumroll please....a new $3K 75 inch television. 

Watch his face next year when the 85-inch models come out.  :)   

Seriously, nobody needs to see the pores on an actor's face magnified to the size of golf balls. 

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:52:26 PM »

DH spent it on....drumroll please....a new $3K 75 inch television.  (This is for a house that doesn't have cable.) Plus, Santa brought it for the family on Christmas morning --- so we can't take it back (per DH).  Can we afford it?  Yes - it is 1% of our annual income.  Did we need it? No.

His justification was that the downstairs TV for the kids went caput so we needed a new TV and that we could move our old family room TV to the basement because it wasn't big enough and was old 1080 something technology instead of some 3K/4K? number.  (It is 60".) 

My plan was to pay down our mortgage with it. After discussion, he kept the new TV (which is way too big).  However, he did agree that in 3/16, I get to take double the $3K ($6K) from his guaranteed bonus amount and use it to pay down the mortgage. Yes, there are communication issues in our family.

You can "communicate" that he can either return it or he can go through the hassle of disposing it after you take a bat to it.  :)

Are you concerned he dropped 3K of your money on something without telling you?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »

You can "communicate" that he can either return it or he can go through the hassle of disposing it after you take a bat to it.  :)

Are you concerned he dropped 3K of your money on something without telling you?

Well, it's "our money" since we're going on 20 years together, and I should caveat this by saying our NW is over the $1.1MM mark.  We have no debt outside the mortgage and he says he wants to work until he's 65 at which point projections show an excess of $7MM at our current savings rate.  I plan to retire at 55 and he's OK with that.  So we can definitely afford it.  I'm the penny pincher of the couple, and he's the major breadwinner. This was his idea of a family surprise for Christmas.

Also, his bonus in March is about 15X what I get, so I'm going to be charitable on this one because I sure as heck want to spend (force him to save versus spend) a big chunk of his bonus.  He is not mustachian in the least, and I'm slowly working on him.

Ok, now I have to know if you actually punched him in the face, because I can imagine you were pretty incensed.

No actual punching was involved....It was awkward Christmas morning.  My Santa gave the family a new 24" computer monitor....found on clearance for $89....

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:50 PM »
As someone who indirectly benefits from people who buy expensive TVs, thought my investments in the stock market, I want to thank your husband for taking me a few steps closer to my early retirement.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
This has got to be the most humblebragiest of humblebrag posts.

I ask this full of envy in my heart for large TVs and large mortgages:  How large is the mortgage?

The 40" TV I got is looking smaller year by year.  Oh to be rich...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »

I ask this full of envy in my heart for large TVs and large mortgages:  How large is the mortgage?

$21,500 is the mortgage at 4.625% that I am pushing to be paid off.
$250,000 is the mortgage at 2.625% that I'm not pushing to be paid off and has 10 years remaining - right when we will FIRE.
I don't even watch TV - I'd rather read.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »

I now ha to go and measure the big TV I inherited when moving. Its nearly double of my old. Its 80cm. 32" if I am right.
Whoah, stop. That means 75"... is nearly 2m!?! Larger then me?
To watch documentaries about bacteria? ;)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »

I now ha to go and measure the big TV I inherited when moving. Its nearly double of my old. Its 80cm. 32" if I am right.
Whoah, stop. That means 75"... is nearly 2m!?! Larger then me?
To watch documentaries about bacteria? ;)

Face punches all around. I also have a thing about people's pores....this TV makes them gross.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:59 PM »
I've watched several big TVs this holiday season ranging from 55" to 75".

They don't make a very good impression if you don't feed that TV a really good signal. Three of them were showing SD channels. What's the point if that big picture is really pixelated?

We're enjoying a 42" TV in a smaller family room. If we had a spectacular family room maybe 75" would be a motivation... when they get down to $300. ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!