Author Topic: Talk me Out of This Facepunch Worthy Spending (or not)  (Read 5248 times)

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Talk me Out of This Facepunch Worthy Spending (or not)
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:17:37 AM »
Financially we are in good shape 4M plus a 450k house.  But I always feel guilty spending moneyu on myself.

I'm turning 50 this year and my wife wants to do something nice for me. We decided to go to a rock concert.  Tickets for this 3 band concert are going to be pricy anyway, so we might go ahead and spring for the VIP package where you get to meet band members. These are not cheap: about 2500 a piece.  The concert is near a relative so we can stay in the town for free.

I know this seems ridiculous but 1)I only turn 50 once 2) If we don't do this, my wife is going to want to spend on a destination birthday anyway 3) They are bands I've wanted to see since I was a kid and never did 4) The band members themselves aren't getting any younger either.

Does this seem ridiculous.  $5k is a lot of dough.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Talk me Out of This Facepunch Worthy Spending (or not)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »
I'd say do it. I've never regretted spending money on a concert. Ever. And in cases like this, I go to my Grandpas advice:
  • What are you working for? (the answer should be to give myself fulfilling experiences - if this is that, do it for yourself)
  • If it is not immoral or illegal and you can afford it, why not? The why not is obviously because "I can afford anything I want, I can't afford everything I want", but you do have to give yourself some things you want. I'd say you can afford this and it sounds like you want it. Go for it.

That being said, paying extra to meet the band... well, you realize they're just normal gals/dudes, at least in most cases? Is that experience worth the extra money? You'll get a picture out of it, is that picture worth hanging on your wall? Will you have happy memories when looking at it?

I say this as someone who has jammed with some of my heroes. I didn't pay for the experience. I wouldn't pay for it, either, but they have  been highly valuable experiences. But just getting to talk to them, something that they HAVE to do and getting a picture? I don't know that it would be worth it TO ME.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »
You're 50. These bands were playing when you were a kid, so the performers are getting on in years. Go and see them now, before they die. My dad always regretted not going to see his favorite performers.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 09:51:00 AM »
Yeah I definitely will go see them.  Good 9th row seats without the meet and greet were "only $500" a piece vs 2500-4500 for the VIP stuff.  I won't regret seeing them but I think I'd have a little buyers remorse if I laid out 5-9k for a picture of me with the band.  It's not like we're going to become life-long buds or anything.  Not sure I'd even want that, TBH.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »
Hubby is going to the same concert, and he's seen most of these acts before, but it's his favorite band, and even with the pricey ticket, we can certainly afford it.  It's not my thing, so he's going on his own, and it's in a town a few hours away, but we have points to use on the one night hotel stay.  I'm sure it will be memorable, enjoy!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 02:11:22 PM »
Do it.
Non MMM justification: Plenty of people spend WAY more than that on 50th birthday parties and mid life crises.
MMM justification: you can afford it and it'll make you happy and it won't make a dent in your stash.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
Yeah I definitely will go see them.  Good 9th row seats without the meet and greet were "only $500" a piece vs 2500-4500 for the VIP stuff.  I won't regret seeing them but I think I'd have a little buyers remorse if I laid out 5-9k for a picture of me with the band.  It's not like we're going to become life-long buds or anything.  Not sure I'd even want that, TBH.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Go. you will have a great experience. But the meet and greet imho is not worth the additional $$. (i may be a little jaded because I have met a number of musicians in person... and right after a concert um they are not their best selves)

A couple years ago I went to a concert and had a little buyers regret realizing I could have paid a little more to have seating above the stage, plus have concierge service so they bring your drink to you). In retrospect I enjoyed hanging out and dancing in the huge pit that the first floor became. Plus it was fun waiting in line to get my beer and chatting with folks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:49:45 PM by partgypsy »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 06:33:44 PM »
It's 0.001% of your net worth. I think you can afford it!

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 08:36:07 PM »
You make that money in a few weeks off the usual 4% rule, I think you'll be fine... ENJOY.  I would almost argue you SHOULD be spending more money to reduce your net worth, and enjoy a bit of life (unless your regular budget requirement is $120,000-160,000 a year, which is 3-4% on 4MM).  (If I had 4MM personally I would spend/donate it down over time as my budget is about $50-60k so my target is $1.25-1.5M, maybe super conservative 2MM on 3% rule, anything I end up with OVER that is getting spent/donated for sure)

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »
I very much regret never seeing Prince when he was alive. I would do it! Although agree about not sure if value of meeting them.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 03:52:51 PM »
Financially we are in good shape 4M plus a 450k house.  But I always feel guilty spending moneyu on myself.

I'm turning 50 this year and my wife wants to do something nice for me. We decided to go to a rock concert.  Tickets for this 3 band concert are going to be pricy anyway, so we might go ahead and spring for the VIP package where you get to meet band members. These are not cheap: about 2500 a piece.  The concert is near a relative so we can stay in the town for free.

I know this seems ridiculous but 1)I only turn 50 once 2) If we don't do this, my wife is going to want to spend on a destination birthday anyway 3) They are bands I've wanted to see since I was a kid and never did 4) The band members themselves aren't getting any younger either.

I am turning 50 this year also, high five birthday buddy!

We already spent $5500 on a trip to Hawaii this coming summer to celebrate.  So, whatev.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 04:39:50 PM »
That’s a facepunch worthy amount to spend on a concert... if you weren’t in the financial shape you are in.  There are a lot of ways you could waste $5k, but a once in a lifetime experience you’ve dreamed of since childhood seems like really good value to me.  Go for it! 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 08:03:01 AM »
just.do.it.
don't get in a position that you'll regret, and that you'll live with the regret to the very end.

if I'd been born a decade earlier and made it to the last of the Pink Floyd concerts....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:39:11 PM by jinga nation »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 08:07:55 AM »
Are you willing to sell a car to upgrade from the normal concert to the VIP package?

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 10:05:41 AM »
I'm glad you opted for great seats and skipped the meet n greet.

Regardless of your net worth, I don't see the value in the meet n greet for $5k. Hawaii for $5k? Yes. Meet a band for $5k? No way. Great seats for a concert as a rare treat for $500? Yes!

frugs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 07:05:45 PM »
No way. $5k is not justifiable in any way shape or form. All these people are crazy. Total face punch.

Think of all the alternatives of what you could do with that money. For instance, you could go see your favorite band in another country and stay there for a week. Make it a destination concert. Think out of the box.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 07:51:38 PM »
No way.  I love music, but that's stupid money to pay for a concert, and I don't worship any group of musicians enough to want to pay 'em to bask in their warm glow for a few minutes backstage.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 04:44:41 AM »
Meet and greets are super over rated.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 05:40:47 AM »
I vote no. By all means go to the concert and the problem isn't even the money in question which you can easily afford. It's the point of paying a couple of thousand for something most likely to be different from what you want it to be. Meets and greets have a tendency to be massively overrated (read: suck). What do you hope to get out of the "meet and greet" vs only going to the concert?  A photo op? Bragging rights? Expectation of a long and fruitful discussion with your musical heroes?

I don't mind spending amounts on stuff other people find stupid (like fancypants eating for my part). But there shall be a clear connection between what I pay and what I get out of it and not some scheme set up to suck more of my little green employees out of me - which frankly is the one and only purpose of "meet and greet" and "VIP packages" and such for concerts. Its a mechanism to introduce steep price discrimination to a concert.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 08:33:54 AM »
Meet and greets are super over rated.
A few artists, such as Steve Vai, have post-concert meet and greets that are free. Of course there has to be some kind of way to limit the head count so that it's a meaningful interaction and photo-op for everyone to attend. To keep the numbers reasonable, the event organizers calculate how many people can be accommodated based on the available space and the artist's stamina and willingness to stick around and chat with individuals or a small group. Tickets are given away on the artist's Web site or fan club Web site. They're drawn at random from registered fan club members who make a request. Total cost to the lucky person who wins one: free, assuming you pay for a concert ticket that gets you in the door. I lucked out and got my number drawn for a Steve Vai concert I attended. That was a good experience and I don't regret it. But I might not have the same feeling about it if I'd had to pay exorbitantly.

Having a higher price for a meet-and-greet does appear to limit the head count, although it does so at the expense of eliminating fans who legitimately can't afford the price.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
These are all great points.  I opted for just "good seats"  which were expensive enough.  I feel like I am getting my money's worth (subjective, I know) because I get to see three groups I always wanted to see but never did. That's $166 a band. Not bad since I'm in the ninth row.  I am totally on board with not getting ripped off no matter what my net assets are worth. Of course I'm sure some of you guys would consider the whole thing a rip-off and that's cool too.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »
These are all great points.  I opted for just "good seats"  which were expensive enough.  I feel like I am getting my money's worth (subjective, I know) because I get to see three groups I always wanted to see but never did. That's $166 a band. Not bad since I'm in the ninth row.  I am totally on board with not getting ripped off no matter what my net assets are worth. Of course I'm sure some of you guys would consider the whole thing a rip-off and that's cool too.

We tend to be remarkably non judgemental here about what people choose to spend on when it's clear that it matters to them.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 09:44:39 AM »

I don't think it's a rip-off. I'm still kicking myself a bit for not seeing REM in 1995. I think you made the right call on the concert (and on skipping the meet and greet).

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »

Nah, seeing a great band and even 3 of them in a single sitting is a fine thing to spend money on if their music is important to you. But your posting here is a good example of still maintaining some concept of cost vs value even if the money isn't really an issue. In general, if you doubt something is worth the money, it most likely isn't. It generally helps cutting something down to its core and then stick to that. You want to see the band(s) play? Pay for the concert. Even the markup good seats. Everything on top of that is a distraction.

I have started applying this principle to my annual solo (me-only) ski trip to the alps. What am I there for? Skiing. If I spend more on accomondation, food, etc - will the snow get any better, will the mountains be higher and steeper, will the lifts run faster, will the queues be shorter and will the weather be better? No on all accounts, so you pay for what you wanted in the first place: The option to ski in the european alps. For which I need the following: Plane and train tickets, a roof over my head, somehting to eat, a lift pass and ski hire. Nothing more, nothing less. The splurging is a fistful of dollars on a couple of beers at the apres ski and some decent lunch/dinner as opposed to bare-bones eating.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »

YES.