Author Topic: Syrup  (Read 9076 times)

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
Syrup
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »
DW had been buying syrup at Trader Joe's for a while, and it was tasty, but we were out.  We happened to find some organic syrup in Cosco, and had the following conversation:

DW: "I dunno.. this might be more expensive."
DH: "I sort of doubt it.  It's $13 for a liter.  How much does the TJ syrup cost?"
DW: "I don't know exactly...  but I know the bottle isn't $13!  Maybe $5?  And it doesn't look too much smaller than this one."
DH: "Yeah.  It's hard to say.  Hrmmm... I really like that TJ's syrup.  If it's close, I'd be happy getting more of it."
DW: "It's your call.  I'm happy either way."
DH: "Oh what the heck!  Let's try the Cosco stuff and see how it pans out!"

Next stop was TJs for some specialty items.  The syrup we'd been eating was $8 for 60 mL, or about $133/liter.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Re: Syrup
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:59:15 AM »
What kind of syrup is this? Maple? Also, I find it hard to believe that the 60ml bottle "doesn't look too much smaller" than a 1 litre bottle, which is 1000ml. 60ml is tiiiiiiiny, and 16.67 times smaller than 1000ml. Sure you got that right?

drg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:50 AM »
60 ml is only 4 US tablespoons, it's about the size of a "gift" size bottle of maple syrup.  On the other hand, $13 for 1L of real maple syrup (assuming not maple-flavoured table syrup) would be a decent price.

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
Typical Canadian can of sirop is 540 ml. You can get it for as low as Can$5 if you shop and wait for a promotion.

In France, I have seen the same can at €14! $19 or about $35/l.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
I bought some TJ's maple syrup shortly after a bike tour through Vermont. I recall posted prices at farms being pretty similar to what TJ's had.

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
Grade B all the way.  It's cheaper AND it tastes better.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »

To my deep shame . . . I actually prefer artificial no-natural ingredients 'syrup'.  It's what I grew up on (thanks mom!), and what I'll die with.  The good news is a 4 L jug can be had at Costco for about 14$

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
To my deep shame . . . I actually prefer artificial no-natural ingredients 'syrup'.  It's what I grew up on (thanks mom!), and what I'll die with.  The good news is a 4 L jug can be had at Costco for about 14$

I generally like your perspective GuitarStv, but I can't accept this ;)

msilenus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
What kind of syrup is this? Maple? Also, I find it hard to believe that the 60ml bottle "doesn't look too much smaller" than a 1 litre bottle, which is 1000ml. 60ml is tiiiiiiiny, and 16.67 times smaller than 1000ml. Sure you got that right?

Actually, I did not.  I just googled it to be sure, and it seems I was looking at the serving size.  Overall size is 360 mL.
http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2013/01/trader-joes-organic-grade-b-maple-syrup.html

So the TJ's syrup was only about 70% more expensive.  That's considerably less crazy.  But it's still a little shameful that I was able to convince myself that a bottle that held 360 mL was anywhere near 1L.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »
Typical Canadian can of sirop is 540 ml. You can get it for as low as Can$5 if you shop and wait for a promotion.

Yes, but in France it's an exotic ingredient quite possibly imported from Canada. I don't use or care about any kind of syrups, but my Canadian co-worker does and he always brings some when he goes back to see the family there.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »
MMM grade b... More taste, theoretically cheaper.

I was really pissed when I went to a "fancy" brunch where they serve stuff like honey lavender brioche but still had an aunt Jemima style syrup in jars.  Yuck.

I don't understand people who like the taste of corn starch mixed with corn syrup.  Pour some corn on your pancakes :-)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »
Yes, but in France it's an exotic ingredient quite possibly imported from Canada. I don't use or care about any kind of syrups, but my Canadian co-worker does and he always brings some when he goes back to see the family there.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard "exotic" and "Canada" in the same sentence...

Lans Holman

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »

When traveling abroad I bring a bottle of syrup as a host gift, because most people have never seen the stuff. My host mother in Italy was baffled by it and ended up serving it over ice cream and mixed with cognac.

So.... how was it in cognac?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
I think this is the first time I've ever heard "exotic" and "Canada" in the same sentence...

:)

Is there anything more Canadian than maple syrup? Cold winters and good hockey players could be found in other places as well.

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »

You and my wife.  I grew up in the maple-y wonderland of upstate New York so this concept is foreign to me.  My mustachian parents tapped the trees on our property and made syrup themselves.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »

When traveling abroad I bring a bottle of syrup as a host gift, because most people have never seen the stuff. My host mother in Italy was baffled by it and ended up serving it over ice cream and mixed with cognac.

My sister drinks it in her tea. Only the real maple stuff, of course.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
I just bought the Costco jug. I nearly bought one at Winco last week. Same amount of Grade B Amber Syrup was 17.71, but the Costco price was only 13.49. Glad I waited. Tastes so much better, especially when it costs less.

We also buy the Costco Mandarin Oranges in glass jars. I save the orange syrup, reduce it and mix it with a bit of Maple Syrup. Delicious!

I also buy the Log Cabin junk at Costco for DS who prefers it to the real stuff. Ugh. I hope it's a phase he'll grow out of.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 08:17:52 PM »
A note on grading- it varies by state. In Maine there is no 'Grade B' , however the equivalent color is 'grade A Dark Amber'. The term 'Extra Fancy' is also used some places and not others. Thankfully my stomach doesn't require me to label it, I just get whatever the color the trees produce!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
I'm kind of pissed off that several stores around here that used to have grade B only carry grade A now.

I'm thinking of buying my grade B syrup in (relative) bulk online (e.g. Amazon.com). Anybody have any advice/leads on cheap places to get it?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 11:43:20 PM »
I'm kind of pissed off that several stores around here that used to have grade B only carry grade A now.

I'm thinking of buying my grade B syrup in (relative) bulk online (e.g. Amazon.com). Anybody have any advice/leads on cheap places to get it?

I remember when I discovered grade b.  I was like 5, and at some hippy coop store with my parents.  They basically had three or four giant spouted containers with different types of syrup.  I tried some of each  and determined that grade b was superior.  I wish I knew where this place was.  But you may consider looking for coop type places and you may convince them to get a large quantity directly from a farm (or whatever you call the maple orchard thing).

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »
But you may consider looking for coop type places and you may convince them to get a large quantity directly from a farm (or whatever you call the maple orchard thing).

It's called a sugar bush

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 08:34:30 AM »

It's gold syrup.

Deano

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 07:34:41 AM »

...says the guy posting from Wisconsin.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »

I remember when I discovered grade b.  I was like 5, and at some hippy coop store with my parents.  They basically had three or four giant spouted containers with different types of syrup.  I tried some of each  and determined that grade b was superior.  I wish I knew where this place was.  But you may consider looking for coop type places and you may convince them to get a large quantity directly from a farm (or whatever you call the maple orchard thing).

That's pretty much how I discovered Grade B (except I was 23).  It was a hippie coop in Cleveland.  They had the syrup in a gallon jug in the refrigerated section. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!