Author Topic: Suzi Orman  (Read 20873 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Suzi Orman
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »
Ok she is a TV personality and I must admit she is not my favourite financial advisor.

The other night the local NPR station was showing the Suzi Orman production.. her in front of a group of folks.. audience participation style.

She did one thing I rather enjoyed.. After she introduced the fact that the show was about "Money"..She asked anybody with CC debt to stand up and keep standing.. then anyone with student loans, mortgage debt, any other type of loans.

She then pointed out that almost 100% of the audience was standing (Note: a handful of people I saw firmly sat on their tush as the camera panned).

Then she said,... "I'm sorry I can't talk to YOU people about money.... Because you DON'T HAVE ANY!"

"Oh RIGHT!!!" I found found myself involuntarilly yelling.. Then I had to remind myself she was NOT my favourite TV financial advisor...:)

Nice huh?..:)

Frank

luigi49

• Bristles
Re: Suzi Orman
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »
hmm i have all of the above.  I bow in shame.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »

Luigi... Its not about having shame.. I was in that same situation not that many years ago.. The question is.. If you want to.. I mean really want to.. What are you going to do about it?

There are some magificent story's of people pulling a 180 and getting themselves on the path to Financial independence...  As your reading these forums I suu=ggest you might be one of them..:)

Frank

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
I listen to her podcasts, and sometimes I find her expectations disheartening on the amount of retirement savings a person should have. I've heard her blow off people with 1-1.2m. I know it's all relative to expenses but....

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »
Isn't she personally tied up with a bunch of major credit companies? Like she gets money from them and then tells people not to have credit card debt?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
She's a knucklehead kind of character. I like seeing the stories of people who really turned it around.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:07:48 PM »

Luigi... Its not about having shame.. I was in that same situation not that many years ago.. The question is.. If you want to.. I mean really want to.. What are you going to do about it?

There are some magificent story's of people pulling a 180 and getting themselves on the path to Financial independence...  As your reading these forums I suu=ggest you might be one of them..:)

Frank

Her mortgage debt question seems a bit silly. I decided it was better financially to have mortgage debt so I can put more of my savings into the market.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »
Isn't she personally tied up with a bunch of major credit companies? Like she gets money from them and then tells people not to have credit card debt?

She pimps My FICO a lot, which I can kind of see as sleazy but they do provide the score lenders usually use so the recommendation is correct if you want your credit score.

There was also an online debacle a couple years ago when she came out with one of those prepaid cards that had lots of fees. Bloggers slammed it and she criticized at least one on Twitter so and a social media fight broke out.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
Her mortgage debt question seems a bit silly. I decided it was better financially to have mortgage debt so I can put more of my savings into the market.

Me too. There's bad debt and good debt.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
Personally I don't want to have debt of any kind, which is why I'm planning on buying my house in cash.  But I don't think this is for everyone and I think debt can be used responsibly. 

Then she said,... "I'm sorry I can't talk to YOU people about money.... Because you DON'T HAVE ANY!"

And this line is just as ridiculous as it is insulting because you can have debt and money (positive net worth) at the same time...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:31:45 PM by MrCash »

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
Personally I don't want to have debt of any kind, which is why I'm planning on buying my house in cash.  But I don't think this is for everyone and I think debt can be used responsibly. 

Tip of the hat to you, sir.  It can done.  I promise.

Back to the actual topic:  I haven't seen her in ages (because I don't pay for those channels anymore)... but ... aside from her being overly concerned about credit scores* I sorta liked her.  She wasn't afraid to tell someone bluntly they were screwing up... and to try to help them fix it.  She seemed to have something really likable at the core.

*just as the original quote of her insinuates: credit scores are for people that don't have money.  Not that that is evil.  But if you have money, you have reasonable credit and you don't f'ing care.  If you don't have money, you probably don't have awesome credit.  The fix isn't to fix your credit.  It's to fix your money.  And she's got issues and conflicts of interest there.  I can overlook them.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »

Frank

Frank I was being funny.  I know of suze plain jane advise and find it funny.  Her advice is good for kindergarteners.   Although I have all of the above I can easily wipe them out. 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
Ok she is a TV personality and I must admit she is not my favourite financial advisor.

The other night the local NPR station was showing the Suzi Orman production.. her in front of a group of folks.. audience participation style.

She did one thing I rather enjoyed.. After she introduced the fact that the show was about "Money"..She asked anybody with CC debt to stand up and keep standing.. then anyone with student loans, mortgage debt, any other type of loans.

She then pointed out that almost 100% of the audience was standing (Note: a handful of people I saw firmly sat on their tush as the camera panned).

"Oh RIGHT!!!" I found found myself involuntarilly yelling.. Then I had to remind myself she was NOT my favourite TV financial advisor...:)

Nice huh?..:)

Frank

Well, to be honest, that is the way a lot of people on here give out face punches ;)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 08:31:24 PM »
Kind of dumb, because a person can have debts, while still having net worth.  If I have $20K in debts and $100K in investments, do I really have no money?  I should probably be ACTING like I have no money until that $20K is erased, but if I'm paying little to no interest on it, I can proactively manage my money while paying the debt, rather than curling up in the corner in the fetal position.  It seems counterproductive to me to discourage anyone who has any sort of debt whatsoever from taking an interest in investing.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »
There was also an online debacle a couple years ago when she came out with one of those prepaid cards that had lots of fees. Bloggers slammed it and she criticized at least one on Twitter so and a social media fight broke out.
She called Philip Taylor (PTMoney.com) an idiot on Twitter and implied that was true of personal finance bloggers in general, but she eventually backed off when Ron Leiber weighed in.

Her social media strategy seems to be "Oh, I haven't done anything on Twitter or Facebook for a few weeks, so let's be social!!"  Either that or she's not paying her social media assistants enough money to stay on the job.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 06:02:58 AM »
I like to watch her yell at people who are considering something ill advised.   That is fairly entertaining.   Her whole show should just be that.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:50 AM »

I could've kept my seat.  I suspect quite a few people here on this board could have done so; however, I suspect most of us wouldn't have bothered to go see her in person.  Not when she's on TV for free. 

I like to watch her show on occasion, but I can't take seriously a person who disobeys the laws of phonics in her own name. 

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
I like to watch her yell at people who are considering something ill advised.   That is fairly entertaining.   Her whole show should just be that.

I like it too.  She lives my fantasy:  she's able to facepunch people in a smarmy and condescending way for considering purchases or life choices they can't afford.  But instead of HATING her for the facepunch, her callers THANK her.  God that must be nice.

She also hawks a high-fee debit card:
http://www.theapprovedcard.com/

Still, her advice is mostly harmless, especially for people just starting to take control of their financial lives, so it's hard to hate her.  Definitely training-wheels for FI, though, gotta take those suckers off pretty soon or you'll never learn to balance properly.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
I think the OP misses the point.

She was trying to make a point that in general debt is bad.  Her audience is, IMO, children - at least from a financial maturity perspective.

Look....when you talk to a child about complex issues, you simplify things.  "Don't hit people", "killing is wrong", "always be nice", "college is the way to get ahead". 

You don't go into all the exceptions, or nuances, etc since they don't have the ability to discern those times and places and circumstances where it's not only acceptable, but preferable to beat the shit out of someone, fire two the the chest and one to the head to another and be a blunt, seemingly mean spirited bastard to yet others and skip college. 

Suzi does nothing more that distill down a financial message to something simple and understandable and formulaic for the financial child.

To those here, of course it's going to look ridiculous.  As ridiculous as "Thunder is merely The Almighty clapping his hands" sounds to a physicist.....but try explaining how the lightning bolt heats the air, causing a rapid expansion, which forms the pressure / density wave which our ears perceive as sound...and oh, in a house or car, it's not really something to worry about, to a frightened 3 year old.

halfmutt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
I like Suzi.  A lot.  I wish a couple of my in-laws would watch and follow her because MY FI strategies strike them as "harsh", "painful" and "not worth it".  Have to learn to walk before you can run.  She tells it like it is in language that a lot of lazy asses can actually understand.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
I like to watch her show on occasion, but I can't take seriously a person who disobeys the laws of phonics in her own name.

Well, to be fair, her name is actually spelled "Suze."  It's misspelled in this thread.  ;-)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »

Well, to be fair, her name is actually spelled "Suze."  It's misspelled in this thread.  ;-)

I think thats what MrsPete was poking fun at.  "Suze" should, in theory, be pronounced "sooz", not "soozie".

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »

I think thats what MrsPete was poking fun at.  "Suze" should, in theory, be pronounced "sooz", not "soozie".

Or you could look at it like Suz-e.  Like Wall-e or La-Z-Boy.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
Hi lovebugs

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
"Suze" should, in theory, be pronounced "sooz", not "soozie".

I've only ever heard her called "sooz" Orman before...never knew/realized that it was supposed to be pronounced like Susie

nicknageli

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
She's annoying to me, but I like seeing the finances of people she has on the "Can I Afford It" bit and the bit where she grades their retirement plan.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 01:49:14 PM »

Sorry -- I was never "hooked on phonics". 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
I like the same things about her show as the poster 2 above me. HOwever, I think she is telling people they need more $ to retire then they do especially since she is telling so many people to work until 70. some will die before they make it.  I think she should tell them to save more so they can retire earlier.

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Suze.

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 05:57:52 AM »
Strictly phonetically, Susie should be pronounced Sue-See, like Betsie, Tootsie, or Cutsies (the mandarin oranges/tangerines/clementines)  Su-Zee, spelled suze, is perfectly phonetic, just not common.  And who the hell chooses their own name anyway?  I mean, wow.  She has a name, spelled how it is spelled, and that means she can not know anything at all about anything?  Quite a standard of judgement there.

No, I am not a fan, but it is not because of her fucking name!  Learn what phonetic actually means, or maybe you yourself can't possibly know anything about anything, and we should all discount you.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 06:30:53 AM »
Wow, mariarose, lighten up. You'll live longer.

Strictly phonetically, Susie should be pronounced Sue-See, like Betsie, Tootsie, or Cutsies (the mandarin oranges/tangerines/clementines)  Su-Zee, spelled suze, is perfectly phonetic, just not common.  And who the hell chooses their own name anyway?  I mean, wow.  She has a name, spelled how it is spelled, and that means she can not know anything at all about anything?  Quite a standard of judgement there.

No, I am not a fan, but it is not because of her fucking name!  Learn what phonetic actually means, or maybe you yourself can't possibly know anything about anything, and we should all discount you.

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 06:43:11 AM »
Wow, mariarose, lighten up. You'll live longer.

....HMMM....live longer in a world where it is ok to be completely discounted because of what your parents named you.... by people who do not know English themselves.... OK, Sure. No Problem. Yes, I am CLEARLY the over-the-top one in this.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 08:05:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure Mrs Pete was just joking.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »

Tell that to Chloe... or Zoe... or Aphrodite... or Persephone...

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
Or me!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 03:03:40 PM »
She's annoying to me, but I like seeing the finances of people she has on the "Can I Afford It" bit and the bit where she grades their retirement plan.
You raise a good point-- our daughter spent hours watching that segment with us parents and discussing money choices.

But our daughter also managed to learn "the rules" of "Can I Afford It", and she could usually predict the answer before Suze stomped on the asker.

It also led to a lot of verbal shorthand in our house like "Oh, you are so denied."  To this day my daughter still bristles with indignation when I address her as "girlfriend"...

PintSizedMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »

Well, since Suze isn't a Greek name like the others, I'm not sure the comparison holds up...

nicknageli

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 11:01:04 AM »
It also led to a lot of verbal shorthand in our house like "Oh, you are so denied."  To this day my daughter still bristles with indignation when I address her as "girlfriend"...

That cracks me up! 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:42 AM »
I think for some people if they relate to her and get something out of it , its worth it. I have watched some of her shows just because... and she at least has some enthusiasm. But of course all these people, Dave Ramsey, Susie are in it for money. As long as there is some good context then why not. Different strokes for Different folks as they say! But I would not of been one that got up either nor do I ever want to be. Just another way of face punching as I believe someone else mentioned.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
Well I'm glad you all enjoyed commenting on my my thread.. I am not often accused of "missing the point" but that was entertaining.

As was her show.. entertaining, nothing else. I thought she was extremely condescending and i couldn't help wondering what HER net worth was as she peddelled the same old crap that the rest of us here would all say.. "Really?.. THAT is ALL you got.. Please..."

"You have the answers?.. wow.. please inspire me Suze.. as her paid for audience is enraptured in her gospel"....zzzzz...:)

Frank

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
I thought she was extremely condescending and i couldn't help wondering what HER net worth was as she peddelled the same old crap that the rest of us here would all say.. "Really?.. THAT is ALL you got.. Please..."

"You have the answers?.. wow.. please inspire me Suze.. as her paid for audience is enraptured in her gospel"....zzzzz...:)

Frank

I have seen her on Oprah and thought she has a very patronising manner too.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
I thought she was extremely condescending and i couldn't help wondering what HER net worth was as she peddelled the same old crap that the rest of us here would all say.. "Really?.. THAT is ALL you got.. Please..."

Frank

I have seen her on Oprah and thought she has a very patronising manner too.

Based on google searches, her net worth is between 20-35m depending on the year the article was written. Dave Ramsey's is around 55m.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 08:11:49 PM »
I shared this story on my journal, but I thought I would share here too:

Just for entertainment purposes, I thought I would share a story about how I almost told my entire financial story on national TV, only to live on in reruns forever!

Back when we had cable, I was a big Suze Orman fan.  In my original post, I mentioned that I have been following (though not necessarily listening to) various personal finance "experts" for years.  For awhile, I actually considered it sort of a hobby; I just couldn't allow anything in my own life to get too uncomfortable!  Anyway, I sent an email to the Suze Orman show, and it basically went something like this:
"My husband and I are well-educated, and we make good money, but we can never seem to pay-off credit cards for good.  Every time we have some sort of wind-fall, we pay off our debts, only to find ourselves in the same situation within a few short years.  Why can't we stop this pattern?"

I was really wondering if we weren't changing our habits because we were paying things off with "easy money" (one was an inheritance, and one was a life insurance pay-off after my dad's death).  My thoughts were that if we actually had to sacrifice and change our habits, then we would be better-off.  I just wondered what Suze would say about it.

Well, the Suze producers must have thought this would be good TV, because they contacted me about asking that question on the air.  As in, I would be the guest, and we would be discussing my finances.  I agreed, they did some prep work with me, and even had me send in pictures of myself. 

On the day of the interview, they sent a car to my work to pick me up and take me to a local TV station, which they were going to use to record the segment.  At the last minute, the producer called, and said they couldn't do it that day.  I have to confess, I was kind of relieved.  See by that time, I had really given the whole thing some thought, and I was really nervous.  I mean, they show reruns of that show, and my problems would be out there for everyone I've ever known to see!

By the time they called to reschedule, I had totally changed my mind.  They asked if I would be willing to discuss my situation as a "call-in" viewer, but I was over it by then.  Whew, am I glad I didn't do that!

So that's the story of how my financial stupidity almost became the topic of a cable TV show. :)

renaite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »

Well, since Suze isn't a Greek name like the others, I'm not sure the comparison holds up...

My name, Renaité, is pronounced like "Renee." It's not my fault, and I hope you wouldn't hold it against me. ;-) 

(Then again I just looked her up and I guess her name is actually Susan. So in thise case it is totally her own fault.)

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
I like her, but sometimes she seems a bit too quick to tell people to get out of their relationships, even marriages.
Comes across as anti-men at times.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »
suze

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 09:04:48 PM »