Author Topic: Study: Average Cable Bill to Reach $200 by 2020  (Read 9647 times)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
Study: Average Cable Bill to Reach $200 by 2020
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
Another reason I am super stoked to have killed my TV.

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/pr_120410/

I can't imagine spending that much money on television. Especially since there is never anything on that is worth watching.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Study: Average Cable Bill to Reach $200 by 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:46:13 AM »
That ought to spark some kitchen table discussions around America.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
Gotta love it - projecting a price increase 3x the rate of inflation.

I finally just cancelled mine... so glad I'm not still a sucka in that one little way!

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
The longer I go without TV the more I'm glad that I don't have it. Unfortunately I suspect that this will go mostly unnoticed by the average consumer. People are convinced that TV is an absolute necessity and will pay whatever they have to to get it.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »
The longer I go without TV the more I'm glad that I don't have it. Unfortunately I suspect that this will go mostly unnoticed by the average consumer. People are convinced that TV is an absolute necessity and will pay whatever they have to to get it.

I completely agree. I haven't had cable for three years now and really don't miss the channels that I don't get OTA. Slowly but surely people will notice the increase in costs but all they will say is "well, what can I do? I need cable"

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 06:56:34 PM »
$200 a month for cable?

Not for this chico.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »
Hol-y shitballs.

We pay $99 for internet+ cable (I call and negotiate this deal whenever it expires) and if it were up to me I'd just have netflix/hulu.   DH's tv watching consists of sports and we live in a valley with 0 antenna reception.   Seriously, I checked the websites that show signals and even bought a super outside mounted antenna and we get nothing.

Soooo, crap.   Maybe some less expensive online sports packages will come out before then?   

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »
In the DC area, Comcast is one of two providers. You are forced to have cable if you use Comcast. Thanks, Comcast.

It costs more to have the internet and NO cable. Yes. More.

It won't surprise me if the average internet cost increases to $200. There's little competition.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Yup, the lack of high speed internet options is quite lame.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »
Yup, the lack of high speed internet options is quite lame.

I'm just hoping Google changes that..

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 02:17:38 AM »
This bit was what struck me:
“Despite the plethora of OTT options for movies and TV, most consumers want their pay-TV providers to be central and relevant to the acquisition and viewing experience,” said Russ Crupnick, senior vice president of industry analysis for The NPD Group.  In fact 59 percent of pay-TV subscribers preferred having one single provider for their pay-TV services, compared to 21 percent who desired multiple providers, and 21 percent who expressed no preference. Sixty-two percent of subscribers wanted premium TV either delivered by their pay-TV provider directly, or from a service affiliated with their pay-TV provider. Only 20 percent of pay-TV subscribers were likely to cancel their pay-TV service, if they could get their favorite shows online.

I would not have predicted those numbers because I and most of my peers view this so differently. Unless there's evidence of this changing across demographics (and I wouldn't assume that without evidence) I'll have to accept that my impression of the trend is actually in the minority.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 08:27:14 AM »
I read this and went straight to Comcast's stock price to see what kind of dividend they have.  Is that normal?  It's 1.68%.

I'm happy to say I have never paid a cable bill.  When I moved into my first apartment and looked at the installation fees and prices...decided I don't need this.  All the 50-inch-HDTV 700 channel people think I'm the crazy one.  I feel it's the other way around.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
This bit was what struck me:
“Despite the plethora of OTT options for movies and TV, most consumers want their pay-TV providers to be central and relevant to the acquisition and viewing experience,” said Russ Crupnick, senior vice president of industry analysis for The NPD Group.  In fact 59 percent of pay-TV subscribers preferred having one single provider for their pay-TV services, compared to 21 percent who desired multiple providers, and 21 percent who expressed no preference. Sixty-two percent of subscribers wanted premium TV either delivered by their pay-TV provider directly, or from a service affiliated with their pay-TV provider. Only 20 percent of pay-TV subscribers were likely to cancel their pay-TV service, if they could get their favorite shows online.

I would not have predicted those numbers because I and most of my peers view this so differently. Unless there's evidence of this changing across demographics (and I wouldn't assume that without evidence) I'll have to accept that my impression of the trend is actually in the minority.

Yeah, I wonder if it's a demographics thing, because I would say the same thing about myself and my friends (and I'm 26).

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:59 AM »
All the 50-inch-HDTV 700 channel people think I'm the crazy one.  I feel it's the other way around.

Yep, sometimes I feel like Wonko the Sane from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, who named his house "The Outside of the Asylum."

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
I pay 30 a month for internet. If google comes to my town, I'll give them 70 - just to vote with my dollar, not because I need it.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »
Best thing I ever did was give up cable about 6 months ago! Even with the World Cup now on, I can still watch it live streaming for free.. tee hee :)

All my friends think I'm crazy, they don't understand how I can live (and I have a 9 year old daughter who doesn't miss it either!).

Time to start buying shares in cable companies!

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
Gave up cable about 3 months ago and I really don't miss it much at all as I thought I would.

I have netflix and a HD antenna and that is enough for me.   

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
I have noticed that the younger generation in general does not have cable. None of my adult kids do & most people my age seem too. Just a luxury that we get a lot of value from & am not willing to give up.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
My landlord/roommate pays all utilities, including cable, so I don't know what the monthly fee is, but I definitely am watching more TV than I should. This is something that I need to work on, though I don't feel terribly guilty as I have already reached my annual goal of finishing 50 books already!

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 03:17:03 PM »
I'm just hoping Google changes that..

Google has shown very little interest in expanding to larger cities, let alone laying fiber to the country.  Their test cities are reportedly awesome though.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 03:50:08 PM »
Google is expanding / planning to expand into a bunch of larger cities, right now. San Jose and surrounding towns being of particular interest to me.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »
I just invested in a good antennae a few years ago (for what is apparently soon to be less than half the price of one month of cable.)  That and $9/month for Netflix. 

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
The cost of cable will probably be going up to make up for the larger number of people who are "cutting the cord". There have been many articles about more people are ditching cable thanks to hulu, netflix, amazon, ect.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
In the DC area, Comcast is one of two providers. You are forced to have cable if you use Comcast. Thanks, Comcast.

It won't surprise me if the average internet cost increases to $200. There's little competition.

It was the same with Comcast when I lived in the Bay Area. I wonder what sort of financial incentive they have to price like that. More subscribers = more ad revenue? That's my guess.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
Google is expanding / planning to expand into a bunch of larger cities, right now. San Jose and surrounding towns being of particular interest to me.

I should probably just Google this, but I'll ask anyway. Do you know what cities Fiber is in now and which ones they plan to expand to in the future?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »

It was the same with Comcast when I lived in the Bay Area. I wonder what sort of financial incentive they have to price like that. More subscribers = more ad revenue? That's my guess.

I have lived in the DC area so long that it's foreign to me to separate the two in my own mind. I would have no internet without cable. To those of you with lower internet bills, feel fortunate! Mine is the overpriced $76 a month for nothing special and the lowest speed available.

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »

I should probably just Google this, but I'll ask anyway. Do you know what cities Fiber is in now and which ones they plan to expand to in the future?
See the map on this page for current and planned cities.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »

I have lived in the DC area so long that it's foreign to me to separate the two in my own mind. I would have no internet without cable. To those of you with lower internet bills, feel fortunate! Mine is the overpriced $76 a month for nothing special and the lowest speed available.

Are you sure that's really the best Comcast will do? Even last year when Comcast was forcing me to bundle TV with my Internet to get the lowest price, I was still at least able to pick "basic cable" (i.e., only broadcast channels + filler like QVC) for ~$40/month total.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »

Thank you.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »

Are you sure that's really the best Comcast will do? Even last year when Comcast was forcing me to bundle TV with my Internet to get the lowest price, I was still at least able to pick "basic cable" (i.e., only broadcast channels + filler like QVC) for ~$40/month total.

Do you live in the DC area?

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »

Yeah, like barely any cities have it, only a precious few are even under consideration, and the situation has been like that for years.  I don't think Google Fiber is coming anytime soon to a nationwide audience.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »

When I called my provider here in Austin to negotiate a lower rate, they tried to pull that as well -- saying it would cost me more to have just internet than to bundle with cable.  I told them I wasn't interested and would switch providers if they couldn't help me, and they relented.  I have this conversation with them every year, and they clearly have a script they follow.  Just stick to your guns. 

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »

Yeah, like barely any cities have it, only a precious few are even under consideration, and the situation has been like that for years.  I don't think Google Fiber is coming anytime soon to a nationwide audience.
I just graduated from college a year ago and moved from Provo, UT to Chicago. I was super bummed about two things: 1) Leaving one of the best areas for rock climbing in the country and 2) leaving right after they announced Google Fiber.

usmarine1975

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
I am worthy haven't had Cable for going on 20 years.  It always amazes me when a tenant or two that I have had in the past couldn't pay their rent somehow managed to keep their Cable tv and movie collection up.  I haven't went no tv I use the internet and netflix to get my occasional fix.

Neighbor Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
I pay 30 a month for internet. If google comes to my town, I'll give them 70 - just to vote with my dollar, not because I need it.
That's what I did when Google came to KC. My cost with Time Warner was up to $55/month(without a contract) and my speed has increased substantially. I honestly don't notice a big difference when doing general web surfing but notice huge differences when downloading and especially when uploading.

Obviously I could get internet access that's good enough for about half the cost per month but I want to support the roll-out of faster speeds due to both known and unknown possibilities it can bring about.