Author Topic: Stretching the definition of "essential"  (Read 3144 times)

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
Stretching the definition of "essential"
« on: April 25, 2020, 03:13:52 AM »
Prepare to cringe.  Just for citation purposes, from the WSJ article "Georgia Reopens but Many Businesses Stay Closed."  (I know, sounds innocent enough, doesn't it?)

Georgia Reopens but Many Businesses Stay Closed https://www.wsj.com/articles/georgia-reopens-but-many-businesses-stay-closed-people-stay-home-11587754211

To quote the article:

At Candler Nails in suburban South DeKalb, 12 women—most wearing masks—waited outside to get their nails done. The shop would only let three customers in at a time and was doing just hands, not feet.

“It’s essential. It’s like food,” said customer Nicole Harris, 37 years old, who was laid off from her job at a warehouse. She said she found most nail salons were still closed and waited more than two hours for her turn in the salon.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Stretching the definition of "essential"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »
“It’s essential. It’s like food,” said customer Nicole Harris, 37 years old, who was laid off from her job at a warehouse. She said she found most nail salons were still closed and waited more than two hours for her turn in the salon.
My doctor has warned me against rolling my eyes that hard.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 05:14:29 PM »

Cos like they're such a good investment?

/s

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 12:36:23 AM »

Cos like they're such a good investment?

/s
Are they edible?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 07:22:27 AM »

Yeah, they'll get stuck in the wrong position and then where will you be?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 07:43:53 AM »
We are past the tipping point: "Brawndo: It's what plants crave."

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 08:37:58 AM »
We are past the tipping point: "Brawndo: It's what plants crave."

I first saw Idiocracy about 10 years ago and figured we had maybe 50 years left before a Camacho type would actually be elected (Sarah Palin in 2008 should have tipped me off that we were far closer to the end). Six years later, we got Trump.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »
Doesn't Camacho actually listen to Joe and rely on his input since he's the most intelligent man on earth?  Or did he dismiss the opinions of those smarter than him and instruct everyone to inject disinfectant?  I'm having a hard time parsing which one was the reality I live in.