Author Topic: Storage Units Seem Like a Terrible Deal  (Read 16360 times)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
Re: Storage Units Seem Like a Terrible Deal
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 01:39:07 PM »
I've used storage a couple times when in between moves. I think a few others have said the same thing.

It also seems reasonable for people who chose to live in a tiny house or tiny apartment. Really small spaces <400 sq. ft., can be a really good deal because most people don't want to do that. You can then store all your toys in a storage space.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »
We rented a small storage unit in our daughter's college town for the summer -- several summers, actually.  It was cheaper than renting a van to bring her stuff home (my small car would've required multiple trips home, which would've cost both time and money).  She didn't need her college bedding, towels, chair, lamps, printer, dishes, winter clothes, etc., and I didn't 'specially want it all piled up in our house.  She and her roommate together filled (but didn't pack tight) the smallest unit available, which I think was 5x5. 

For those few months, it was a good deal, especially when split with the roommate. 

However, when we rented the unit, the guy asked if we wanted insurance.  I declined, saying that the items weren't really of much value -- this was a matter of short-term convenience, given that she'd want them again in just a few months.  He laughed and replied that nothing stored in his units was actually valuable. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »
We rented a small storage unit in our daughter's college town for the summer -- several summers, actually.  It was cheaper than renting a van to bring her stuff home (my small car would've required multiple trips home, which would've cost both time and money).  She didn't need her college bedding, towels, chair, lamps, printer, dishes, winter clothes, etc., and I didn't 'specially want it all piled up in our house.  She and her roommate together filled (but didn't pack tight) the smallest unit available, which I think was 5x5. 

For those few months, it was a good deal, especially when split with the roommate. 

However, when we rented the unit, the guy asked if we wanted insurance.  I declined, saying that the items weren't really of much value -- this was a matter of short-term convenience, given that she'd want them again in just a few months.  He laughed and replied that nothing stored in his units was actually valuable.

Our unit required insurance. I bought it through them, even though it was probably covered by my own insurance. It was just easier, $11 saved me probably 2-3 emails and 2-3 phone calls and printing shit out. Sounds silly, but when you're moving, maneuvering finances for a down payment, and working, it adds up.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
  He laughed and replied that nothing stored in his units was actually valuable.

I was kidding around with the couple that owns the large facility that I recently rented space in. I asked if the auctions of unpaid units are just like the cable TV shows, with lockers bringing a grand, or two, each, and all kinds of hidden super valuable treasures? They laughed, and said that it's bad enough that a recent one featured the husband not only offering contents of lockers for free, but doing a "reverse auction" and making offers like, "I'll give you twenty bucks to take everything in that locker, and drag it off the property".  They said that auctions are a legal requirement that are almost always losers for the property.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 06:03:27 PM »
  He laughed and replied that nothing stored in his units was actually valuable.

I was kidding around with the couple that owns the large facility that I recently rented space in. I asked if the auctions of unpaid units are just like the cable TV shows, with lockers bringing a grand, or two, each, and all kinds of hidden super valuable treasures? They laughed, and said that it's bad enough that a recent one featured the husband not only offering contents of lockers for free, but doing a "reverse auction" and making offers like, "I'll give you twenty bucks to take everything in that locker, and drag it off the property".  They said that auctions are a legal requirement that are almost always losers for the property.

Just after the '09 crash, there was a lot of money to be made. In SOCAL I went to a few auctions where there were 20x20 lockers stuffed to the top. People didn't know what to do after eviction so they took entire households and shoved them into storage units... and then they lost the storage units too. Now, I imagine it's not nearly as frequent as it was back then.

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2016, 07:22:02 PM »
She has paid to store stuff in another state for twenty years!!!! Can you imagine???
It's harder to hide bodies these days. You start digging a hole in the desert and some environmentalist shows up, then you have to dig two holes ....

That I might understand :). Most of it is used baby stuff she bought used for her kids as babies recently 25 to 30 years ago. There was a whole tote of used pencils. In all honesty most of it is garbage.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:25:33 PM by sunshine »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 12:56:46 AM »
A whole tote of used pencils could be the material for an AWESOME sculptural art project....

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2016, 01:11:30 AM »
My uncle recently inherited a ton of really high end antique furniture and valuable art. He teaches in Asia at the moment, but in the next 5 years will come back to Canada to retire. Storing everything (and insuring the crap out of it) makes perfect sense.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 01:53:52 AM »
My uncle recently inherited a ton of really high end antique furniture and valuable art. He teaches in Asia at the moment, but in the next 5 years will come back to Canada to retire. Storing everything (and insuring the crap out of it) makes perfect sense.

Not if he is like my Uncle who went to Asia to teach for a couple of years... then stayed for 30 years.   at around year 25, they FINALLY sorted through the locker and found a lot of "garbage"  (aka christmas wrapping paper anyone) along with that fancy furniture, that still was only worth the value of 20 years before.

Hint -- it is really very difficult to clean out a locker you own on another continent.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 06:20:58 AM »
I sincerely hope he doesn't stay away that long. It took my mum years to clear out my grandfather's storage when he passed. Nobody wants to go through that again.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2016, 06:08:47 AM »
"Great Aunt Martha left us her couch, and we can't throw it away, it's got sentimental value"

Lol so much sentimental value that they stuff it into a cold, metal container for years without looking at it.

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2016, 07:27:11 AM »
Mom used a storage unit when she downsized. When from a 2000 square foot house in the burbs to an 800 square foot one bedroom. She knew she was going to be buying a condo in another state in a year or so. She did a major amount of decluttering but what didn't fit in the apartment went into storage. When she found a place she was able to assess what furniture she wanted (most of what was in the apartment was sold/given away) and what was in the storage unit was moved. She has continued to re-assess what she has and if it works for her current space and is still decluttering.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2016, 02:58:09 PM »
Instead of a storage unit, my Dad has a ~8x16 chunk of their otherwise-finished basement walled off and overflowing with stuff. Plus his overflowing 10x10 den. Plus his overflowing walk-in closet.

Mom's pretty good about chunking stuff.

I just went through all my pants and culled maybe 20 that I never wear.

Justin1911

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
I want to share a story on the topic of storage facilities. My family owns a couple storage companies in our hometown and it never ceases to amaze me what people are willing to pay to store their stuff. A large portion of the business is not just the storage units, but the large gravel parking area we rent out to people. They pay $25/month to park their car, trailer, RV whatever. Anything over 20 feel long is another $1 per foot. The several acres of parking space is usually rented at max capacity. Its amazing. Anyways, my favorite example of silly storage is an old VW bug that is sitting on blocks and under a tarp. Its a rust bucket that can't be worth much at all. Its been there for 14 years now, never moved and never missed a payment.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
Being in the old car hobby - I've heard more than a few times how an older person was going to save their prized ACME coupe/sedan/pickup truck for their grandchild who is 7 months old. In a few cases these vehicles were parked just like that bug - under a tarp in a location other than the southwest where rust/humidity/etc will do it in long before that grandchild will ever be old enough to appreciate it. Wishful thinking.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2016, 11:08:47 AM »
Being in the old car hobby - I've heard more than a few times how an older person was going to save their prized ACME coupe/sedan/pickup truck for their grandchild who is 7 months old. In a few cases these vehicles were parked just like that bug - under a tarp in a location other than the southwest where rust/humidity/etc will do it in long before that grandchild will ever be old enough to appreciate it. Wishful thinking.

A similar thing happened to a car that my stepfather was planning to give to my stepbrother. Instead of paying for storage, it was simply parked in the driveway for a few years. I'm not exactly aware of the issue but the engine totalled due to the weather and not running for years.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »
Yeah, my dad has his 1967 GTO he bought new.

At least it's not in a storage unit (garage at home, float charger) - but he can't drive it more than a couple of times a year.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
I see very low mileage cars at shows sometimes. Impressive time capsule but I just want to drive it so bad...

Recently saw a vintage Vespa with 250 miles on it for sale at a show. Unfortunately it had been parked somewhere damp and needed alot of paint and body repairs. It was cheap enough and I missed it. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2016, 05:53:20 PM »
Oh, the GTO has over 200k miles on it. However, the vast majority were acquired before 1980 or thereabouts.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
Yep - good cars. Can last forever. Repairable indefinitely if the rust bug is kept away. I have a "classic" with 200K+ miles and another with less miles far more rust but salvageable. 

Am currently doing extended maintenance on a Vespa and it is one of the last forever kinds of vehicles. Everything is repairable and everything is available.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »
They made sense for me two times.

I volunteered for a severance package and lived out of my truck for almost a year.  I originally planned on only 3-6 months, but loved job free life so much I stayed on the road until the bank account was dangerously low.

All told I spent about $1k to store my stuff for about 1 year.  I would have lost at least that much money and time value of money trying to rapidly sell stuff to get on the road before I had to be out of my apartment, and then to hunt down equivalent stuff on the back end.  The time aspect was more important than cost aspect.

The second time was when I moved in with my fiance upon getting engaged.  She had a room mate such that there was not a good political solution as to where to keep my kayak, and assorted climbing gear in the townhouse we 3 were now crammed into.  I used the stuff pretty regularly, and it was cheaper to pay the $1500 total over 1 year than to pay about $6k more to get an apartment with a enough space for all our stuff (they had a sweet low rent due to a coworker landlord).  Climbing and other outdoor activities were worth it to me at the time, and I don't kick myself one bit for the choice I made to use the storage unit.

Just using it as overflow space when your garage maxes out is idiocy, which reminds me that i need to clean out my garage...

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »
We're using one right now to deal with items from the death of a parent.  It is worth the money to have the ability to go through boxes in an organized and more reasonable pace.  We won't have it forever, but for the next several months --- worth every penny to not have stacks of boxes everywhere!  It's not just stuff that we need to decide what to do with, but also papers that need to be dealt with for taxes etc.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »
We're using one right now to deal with items from the death of a parent.  It is worth the money to have the ability to go through boxes in an organized and more reasonable pace.  We won't have it forever, but for the next several months --- worth every penny to not have stacks of boxes everywhere!  It's not just stuff that we need to decide what to do with, but also papers that need to be dealt with for taxes etc.

Hm. As the executor, I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably do it in sequence: Everyone is distributed items per the will, everyone gets to pick additional items, I start sifting through stuff and dumping the junk while the house goes on the market. If the house sells before I can process the many, many, many boxes - they go into storage for further processing.

eat_plants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2016, 12:38:13 PM »
I used one during my recent divorce.  I left after 27 years of marriage with the minimum amount of things I needed.  Stayed in a Extended Stay America place for 4 weeks while looking for and waiting on an apartment to be ready.   During that time I used the storage unit to house some of those things that I truly wanted to take with me such as my sewing machine, my winter clothes, my Instant Pot, and a few small kitchen appliances.  Also used it to store some things I bought for the apartment.  Ended up using it for 3 months at $64/month.  Well worth it to me.