Author Topic: Stationary bike for $27.....a class  (Read 5178 times)

AH013

• Bristles
Stationary bike for $27.....a class
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
45 minutes of sitting on a stationary bike for $27.  If you think that's too expensive, it gets as low as $20 if you fork over $1,000 for 50 sessions.
http://bspokestudios.com/buy-credits

The best selling point, is it's just like biking for real...just without all the risks
http://bspokestudios.com/class-description

And it's conveniently located sorta not-really near 3 subway stops...so you can take public transit for 20 minutes and then walk 10 minutes to their building where you can go bike for 45 minutes before walking another 10 minutes back to a subway station to take public transit back home for 20 minutes.
http://bspokestudios.com/find-us

........or, you know, you could just buy a whole bike for like $300 or less and use it to get to work instead of public transit, thereby avoiding all this clownish behavior and money wasting.

Reminds me of the people who drive 2 miles to the gym in the spring solely to go run on a treadmill for 5 miles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:09:35 PM by AH013 »

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Stationary bike for $27.....a class
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »
But spinning is so "hip"! Or if you still don't want to ride outside, get a Y/JCC membership. They have spinning classes, probably 5 days a week, and the membership are like $30-35 a month. That's as little as $2 a class, or over a 90% savings!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:23 AM »
They could save money on public transit by biking to class!  Wait.  Does it make sense to bike to a class that simulates biking?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
Hell, tell you what - you could even buy one of the "standing bikes" thingys for your room/cellar/backyard whatever for 300$ and ride whenever you want! With a bath just a tiny little sprint away!!

Or you put 5 of them into a room were non-mustachians dont park their car because there is too much stuff parked, and open up a course yourself!!!

eschewing_alpha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
Reminds me of the people who drive 2 miles to the gym in the spring solely to go run on a treadmill for 5 miles.

"Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle." -US representative Earl Blumenauer

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »

"Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle." -US representative Earl Blumenauer
Or just look at that classic picture
http://img01.lachschon.de/images/94938_fitnesscenter.jpg

Spartana

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »

hahahahahaha!!!

OK I'm guilty of taking spin classes at my gym (face punch!). Sometimes too hot to ride here and I don't wanna wear sunscreen and I wanna be where it's cool and air conditioned. And I'm there to lift weights or take classes anyways, and use their A/C rather then my own, and take showers using their hot water and dry my hair using their showers and dryers rather than my own, and use the pool, spa, sauna, etc... so I don't need those things at home. And all for the low cost of $49/year! That's $4.08/month). Keeps my electric bill at around $15/month :-)!  Now take back your face punches.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:02:24 PM »
I bought my sister a gift card to get spinning classes here for christmas:

https://new-york.flywheelsports.com/buy/new-york

Yes those prices are 25% higher than the OPs.  I budget everyone for gifts so it made no difference to me...that's what she wanted...I'll never get it.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
Best stationary bike class I've ever seen was one where the instructor put the bikes in a van and trucked them outside. To the local bike path. And set them up so the participants could look over the bike path along the creek to all of us riding past.

There were eyerolls a'plenty that day. Riding a stationary bike next to the bike path but not going anywhere, and paying money for the privilege? Hmmm...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:24 PM »
Does it at least include free pizza to keep the fatties fat?

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
Does it at least include free pizza to keep the fatties fat?

Nope, but they generously offer you a bottle of water.  That's a $0.08 value, free of charge right there!

To be fair, they also offer free shoe rentals, free lockers, and free showers & shampoo too.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »
Woman in the cube beside me lives an 8-minute bike ride (downhill) to work.  She drives every day and spends $40 a month parking.  She takes a spin class 2 or 3 days a week.  Doesn't understand when I point out that she should save that money (on the spin and on parking) and just bike to work.  Says she doesn't want to be "all sweaty" when she gets here.  Did I mention work is downhill from her place?  So she'd rather pay for the privilege to look sweaty at the gym instead?

I know there are times when I'm trudging home with a 40-lb backpack of groceries on a summer day and I pass people who look at me and think "Eww..  Sweaty."  Yeah, I'm sweaty and completely lovin' the badass workout I'm getting!  Unfortunately, I live across the street from a gym with huge front windows. Somehow the same type of person who thinks lugging the backpack is "Eww..." are now paying for the exercise I get for free but looking at each other thinking, "Yay... Sweaty!"

I don't understand people driving everywhere, eating food, and then paying to go to the gym to work off the unneeded calories.  Pay for the luxury of driving not walking, pay to eat fuel, then pay to remove the excess of the fuel you don't need instead of freakin' walking (using your fuel in a productive manner) in the first place?!  This is the exact equivalent of filling up your car's gas tank and then taking to a garage and PAYING someone to hoist it in the air so it spins its wheels going nowhere until it gets to empty.  Not only have you paid twice to go absolutely nowhere, but you've lost value by not using the gasoline on doing something which could earn/save you other monies.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!