Author Topic: Starbucks to start delivering coffee  (Read 12471 times)

Fortuna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Starbucks to start delivering coffee
« on: November 01, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
Yup thats right.  Reasons this is dumb?  I can think of a few - but on the principle of adding cars driving overpriced coffee to lazy people alone I object.  We don't need more fuel consumption, pollution and traffic!

On another note - does anyone else think this is a bad business plan?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:34:00 AM by Fortuna »

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Starbucks to start delivering coffee
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »
I've seen takeout coffee brought into meetings frequently. So, no, I think this can be a successful business plan, even if it does nothing for me....

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
Maybe the deliveries will happen on bikes! :D

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:04:33 AM »
McDonald's have just started deliveries in some areas of Australia. That's equally if not more stupid.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:44:59 AM »

I local hipster-run coffee shop actually does deliver by bike in the downtown area here. :)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:16:45 AM »
Why are pizza and Chinese the top delivery options?  They are more expensive than Starbucks or McDonald's.  At what price does the average order make sense to add a delivery option?  I've seen 15 or 20 dollar minimums plus a delivery fee.  A family sized fast food order will hit that, but will Starbucks?

If average order price hits the minimum, should any restaurant add delivery options?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »
I don't think this is a terrible idea, I can see a lot of business being done with corporate retreats or large events. This could be used for meetings that would otherwise get a big pot of coffee for people to fill. That said, I think the consumption of Starbucks on a remotely regular basis is enough for a facepunch,  but that's just me, there are those that might disagree with me.

Locally there is a company called Bitesquad (don't know how big they are outside of Minnesota) that offers to deliver local food. It sounds like a great way for local restaurants to offer their food for take-out, they just prepare it and Bitesquad picks it up and delivers it. Have never used it (I'm quite willing to pick it up myself, thank you very much), but I can see myself doing so in the coming winter months...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »

I local hipster-run coffee shop actually does deliver by bike in the downtown area here. :)
Sweet!

I'm definitely not against having delivery as an option.  I rarely drink Starbucks, so I can't imagine using the option regularly.  However, we do have to put on a "show" when "important people" visit.  Right now, we have our admin run out to get stuff.  Since she's usually busy with other stuff for the visitors, it would be much easier if we could just get the stuff delivered.  We would probably pay a hefty delivery fee too. 

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Most Americans will probably just put this on auto-order-delivery every day.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »
FYI - in Ankara (capitol of Turkey) fast "food" places deliver - think Mc and BK.  I could see Starbucks delivering here...the stupid and lazy want to pay, so SBUX will respond to extract more $$$ from the sukka's....but the real question is WHY anyone buys Starbucks, delivered or not.  It's over roasted crap.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
Speaking of business ideas:

A couple of computer science students here (small country, northern Europe) started a business by creating a web site for local takeout orders - the pizza joints and similar stuff.  Every time an order was entered on the web site, a small "receipt printer" printed the order to the staff at the restaurant, and about 15-30 minutes later a delivery guy came to the restaurant to fetch the food and bring to the customer.

They solved the delivery puzzle for many small restaurants in the same town. Then they grew to the next town, and the next... after a few years, a foreign company bought the web site/delivery system company for more than $30 Million USD.   The former students were happy.  :)

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
Locally there is a company called Bitesquad (don't know how big they are outside of Minnesota) that offers to deliver local food. It sounds like a great way for local restaurants to offer their food for take-out, they just prepare it and Bitesquad picks it up and delivers it. Have never used it (I'm quite willing to pick it up myself, thank you very much), but I can see myself doing so in the coming winter months...

I don't know what it's called, but we have a service like that in my town, too.  I've never used it, but coworkers have when they wanted to order lunch from someplace that doesn't deliver (and since I work in a hospital, we can't just leave mid-shift to pick up an order).  It's a brilliant idea, really.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 11:18:20 PM »
And I'll bet it's the same $hitty coffee!

myteafix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
This sounds like a silly idea... I'm hoping they at least have a minimum order requirement, otherwise it wouldn't really be worth it to them.

And besides... there are places to get coffee EVERYWHERE! There's no need to be pretentious and insist on ~Starbucks delivered~ when there's a gas station right next door with perfectly adequate options.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »

I don't know what it's called, but we have a service like that in my town, too.  I've never used it, but coworkers have when they wanted to order lunch from someplace that doesn't deliver (and since I work in a hospital, we can't just leave mid-shift to pick up an order).  It's a brilliant idea, really.

Yeah I agree, plus it opens up a lot of new business for these restaurants, while also allowing them to focus on what they do, which is making the food. Of course, Bitesquad likely takes payment from the restaurant, but since this is new business, it appears to be a fairly good deal.

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
My SIL lived in Cairo for a couple of years, and she said that pretty much every fast food place delivered.  I'm not a coffee drinker, and definitely not Starbucks.  But I can definitely see people going for this.  If you are already paying $5 for a cup of coffee, why not pay a little more to save the crazy lines in the store?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »

Where I work, there's a starbucks on every block.  So they could basically deliver within a 1-block radius by foot or cart.  Actually, every day at lunch you see people pushing catering carts down the sidewalk, so I think delivery costs are pretty cheap -- just labor (and the delivery person can be horizontally employed cleaning the stores between deliveries)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 12:36:59 AM »
Where I work, there's a starbucks on every block.  So they could basically deliver within a 1-block radius by foot or cart.  Actually, every day at lunch you see people pushing catering carts down the sidewalk, so I think delivery costs are pretty cheap -- just labor (and the delivery person can be horizontally employed cleaning the stores between deliveries)

As a foreigner fascinated by the US tipping culture, I always assumed that most delivery guys worked for tips only over there. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 06:59:10 AM »

As a foreigner fascinated by the US tipping culture, I always assumed that most delivery guys worked for tips only over there.

Possibly in some localities, but SF mandates 10.75/hr PLUS tips

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »

There's a similar program here in Richmond called Quickness RVA--a dollar is added to your total and someone brings it to you on his bike.  Kind of mustachian.

My upstairs neighbor drives to Starbucks every morning.  It's a half mile from our place, not to mention there's a nice little independent coffee shop TWO BLOCKS AWAY (I rarely drink coffee but when I do I always go to the independent shop).

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 08:21:54 AM »
http://flushingfood.com/

Thats really cool!  :)

Among all the asian names, Applebees really stands out. :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 08:30:02 AM »
http://flushingfood.com/

Thats really cool!  :)

Among all the asian names, Applebees really stands out. :)

I have NO IDEA why anyone eats at Applebee's. I mean, there's a Mongolian hotpot place NEXT DOOR.

The Mexican place is run by Chinese Mexicans and surprisingly solid, though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
Dragoncar, that doesn't do it for me. I'm a baking snob and Applebee's desserts are awful.

Well sure, if you're a snob you won't go to Applebees.  But you asked why people go.  Most people aren't snobs.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »
Dragoncar, that doesn't do it for me. I'm a baking snob and Applebee's desserts are awful.

Well sure, if you're a snob you won't go to Applebees.  But you asked why people go.  Most people aren't snobs.

Yes, but hotpot. Hotpot is delicious and interactive and it has lamb, which is a very tasty mammal!

LOL, I refuse to pay good money to cook my own food ;-)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
I'll tell you when coffee delivery makes sense:

The special ed class at my school offers a coffee service (also hot chocolate, cider and tea).  The kids make the coffee and deliver it to teachers in their classrooms.  The kids fill the orders and collect the money.  Their teachers focus on good customer service, and the kids learn some good lessons.  It's a great project for these kids, who will probably never be able to live on thier own -- but who will be able to work in simple jobs like food service one day. 

They also cook homemade meals and sell them to teachers once a week -- the food is GOOD and the price is fair ($4-5, depending upon the meal, and it includes a drink). 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »

The special ed class at my school offers a coffee service (also hot chocolate, cider and tea).  The kids make the coffee and deliver it to teachers in their classrooms.  The kids fill the orders and collect the money.  Their teachers focus on good customer service, and the kids learn some good lessons.  It's a great project for these kids, who will probably never be able to live on thier own -- but who will be able to work in simple jobs like food service one day. 

They also cook homemade meals and sell them to teachers once a week -- the food is GOOD and the price is fair ($4-5, depending upon the meal, and it includes a drink).

I see the value in this, but the flip side makes it look a little like slave labor.... unless they get paid?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
There is an adult day program in our town for special needs adults, and it does food service training.  You could definitely look at it as slave labor, as they basically are trying to get these adults jobs * kind of regardless of pay* for a sense of self worth and for something to do all day.

Goodwill industries has come under fire for this, actually. 

It's a fine line.  My uncle is quite severely delayed (2-3 year old level) but gets a huge amount of pride and daily happiness out of his "job" with a day center, which consists of him doing nothing of value to society.  He happily "goes to work" every day.  You don't want to exploit those who legitimately are performing a minimum wage type job, but in the other hand there is often extra training and management effort spent to make it work. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »

I see the value in this, but the flip side makes it look a little like slave labor.... unless they get paid?
We pay $5 for the lunches, and I suspect they -- as a class-- make a little bit of money, which they then use for their class outings. 

However, the real answer is that these kids are earning an Occupational Diploma -- not an academic diploma like most kids earn.  To earn this diploma, they must work X number of hours over the course of their four years (they do not take regular English and math courses, etc.), and since these special ed kids will be employable in food service, this is a very good lesson for them. 

Off topic, but I had an email that made me happy a few days ago:  We enjoy visiting a little burger place in my daughter's college town, and I'm on their email (for the $1 coupons).  In their last email they "showcased" an employee who's been with them for 20 years.  Judging from his picture, he appears to have Down Syndrome.  Let's say his name is Tom -- I don't actually remember -- they were having a Tom Appreciation Day to congratulate him on two decades of good work.  He's smiling ear to ear in the picture.  It makes me think they're good people for providing employment for someone who otherwise might fall through society's cracks, and it makes me think he's a good person for giving good, reliable service for so long. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
There is an adult day program in our town for special needs adults, and it does food service training.  You could definitely look at it as slave labor, as they basically are trying to get these adults jobs * kind of regardless of pay* for a sense of self worth and for something to do all day.

Goodwill industries has come under fire for this, actually. 

It's a fine line.  My uncle is quite severely delayed (2-3 year old level) but gets a huge amount of pride and daily happiness out of his "job" with a day center, which consists of him doing nothing of value to society.  He happily "goes to work" every day.  You don't want to exploit those who legitimately are performing a minimum wage type job, but in the other hand there is often extra training and management effort spent to make it work.

My mother has "hired" special needs kids through the school district to work in our store. I think they get maybe $1/hr through some government grant at the school; we pay nothing.

1. Parents REALLY WANT to get their kids into these programs. It's quite competitive.
2. It's community service. These kids are wildly labor intensive to supervise. We've had students who need to be watch so they don't wander into traffic, teenagers who need to be taught how to use a pricing gun 5 or 6 times until it sticks, students who had personality schools so dysfunctional we had to fire them to not alienate customers, etc. When it works, it's great. We had a very childlike 14 year old with Down's Syndrome who was FANTASTIC with kids (child oriented business). We had an autistic kid who could straighten the bejesus out of shelves, as long as he didn't have to talk to anyone. But for every successful kid, we have 3 or 4 failed ones.
Yes, parents do want their kids in these programs, and in our area the #1 thing parents want their disabled kids to get is a job at a certain church.  It's a mega-church that has a nursery, a Christian school, and a retirement home.  They hire disabled adults to cook and clean, and they live in the retirement home.  For a person of that mental ability, it's perfect:  They get their meals and laundry done, they don't need a car, and they are provided with work within their ability range.  They'll never make much money, but they'll be cared for -- even after their parents are gone.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 09:49:14 PM »

However, the real answer is that these kids are earning an Occupational Diploma -- not an academic diploma like most kids earn. 

I see what you're saying, but what's to stop Nike from offering an "occupational diploma in shoe stitching"?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »

However, the real answer is that these kids are earning an Occupational Diploma -- not an academic diploma like most kids earn. 

I see what you're saying, but what's to stop Nike from offering an "occupational diploma in shoe stitching"?
Well, I doubt Nike'd be granted accreditation by the state Department of Instruction.  Plus I doubt these kids'd have the mental dexterity to run a sewing machine and turn out shoes at a fast rate.   

You don't have to approve of it, but we're talking about a group of kids who will never be able to learn language, math and science like other students -- yet the law requires that they are afforded an appropriate public education.  Thus, these kids learn self-care skills, learn to count change, learn to cook and clean, etc.  The "jobs" they've done over the years have included baking cookies for the school cafeteria, sorting and folding donated clothing at the Salvation Army, and cleaning the firehouse once a week.  They learn a variety of skills appropriate to their mental abilities.

They also do a whole lot of fun things that our mainstream students don't:  They go out to fast food restaurants, where they go through the steps of enjoying a meal without their families:  They order, pay, choose a seat, and clean up at the end.  They go bowling, they take swim lessons, they visit the Cosmetology classes to have their hair and nails done, they go to the movies, they go to school band concerts.  They do LOTS of fun things, and their coffee and lunch business pays for this (because many of their families aren't able). 

Whether you agree or disagree, these kids are getting some positive lessons -- on their level -- and they leave school with an Occupational Diploma, which tells an employer they're capable of doing simple jobs. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:48:49 AM by MrsPete »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!