Author Topic: Stacy London on going broke  (Read 6517 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Stacy London on going broke
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:19:15 AM »
http://www.refinery29.com/2018/02/188983/stacy-london-managing-money-heartbreak

I just saw this article by Stacy London of US "What not to Wear" fame about going broke and having back surgery in 2017.  It sounds like she was pretty extreme but has now seen the light (since going broke) and realizes the error or her consumerist ways.  I thought about forwarding her this site actually.

I used to like watching 'What not to wear".  I like clothes and putting them together but never agreed with their 'throw everything out and buy new stuff' message.  London always came across as a funny and warm person on TV.

Anyway, I can definitely relate to spending lots of money on clothes and accessories.  I don't do it anymore but when I was younger there were definitely moments when I spent more than I should have on a perfect outfit.  Now I just try to find ways to put together the stuff I already have in new ways.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
Re: Stacy London on going broke
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:07:23 AM »
Oof, that was a hard read, mainly because she had so much go wrong that was out of her control, and didn't realize that depression was messing with her judgment and prompting her "shopping therapy". I guess it doesn't matter how much fame or fortune one has, life can still throw you some major curve balls and mess you up. I really hope this year is better for her.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 06:43:02 AM »
Good find. That is an impressive piece. She was really forthright and there is something admirable about that. I wish her well.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:37:47 AM »
Good find. That is an impressive piece. She was really forthright and there is something admirable about that. I wish her well.

Me too - maybe this article doesn't really belong in "Wall of Shame and Comedy".  London writes really well and seems to have understood what she was doing and decided to live differently - no shame in that.  I also wish her well and hopes that she is able to turn things around.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
I'm really struck by how alone she seems.  There's little to no mention of support, either in the form of sympathy or of challenge, from family, friends, or the boyfriend (though he does seem to have stuck around for a while out of pity).  I hope that aspect of her life gets better.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
Thanks for this.  I did used to like her show "What Not to Wear".  She was straightforward with the participants but not rude IIRC.   

I do hope things turn around from her. 

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 12:13:47 PM »

Me too - maybe this article doesn't really belong in "Wall of Shame and Comedy".  London writes really well and seems to have understood what she was doing and decided to live differently - no shame in that.  I also wish her well and hopes that she is able to turn things around.

I agree.  I found it very inspirational. I hope she turns it around.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »
Maybe as a celebrity she has not had the time (or made the time) to cultivate a circle of friends? I think that would be the worst - to be a lonely celebrity b/c there are too many people around you can't trust. Not that this is the case here. Am just thinking of celebrities that self-destructed in one form or another without someone to keep them on the straight and safe path.

Great article. She has been on our TV many times in years past.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:38:38 PM »
I also enjoyed the show, but didn't like how everything just got tossed and wasted.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 09:27:08 PM »
Brave of her, a rather raw article, and yes, she sounds so very forlorn and lonely. I do wish her the best - she seemed such a gracious person.
I liked her and the show.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 01:24:34 AM »
That was an impressive story. The girl had a bunch of bad luck in one year.

Yes, most of us are cultivated to think that buying stuff and big spending buys us happiness. I do agree that eating out in a really great restaurant at some occasion can create a memory for life. And renting a hotel room with a great view is also very satisfying. But I've been just as happy sleeping in our tent on some beautiful place in the mountains, preparing a fish caught in the river. It is totally not normal to have these big expenses as everyday normal expenses.

It is good that she recognized it. Maybe she was right on time, as she mentioned that she was almost broke. Maybe she just spent all her savings. It would be a pity if she would have to pay for her mistakes for years, paying off debt.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:10:22 PM by Linda_Norway »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 02:02:13 AM »
I'm really struck by how alone she seems. There's little to no mention of support, either in the form of sympathy or of challenge, from family, friends, or the boyfriend (though he does seem to have stuck around for a while out of pity).  I hope that aspect of her life gets better.

Yes I got this feeling too.

I enjoyed her conjuring of Veruca Salt. Stacy had a bit of that vibe on WNTW.  ;).

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:36:20 AM »
Thank you for posting this.
An interesting piece on the despair of figuring out you don't have what you thought you'd always have.

I miss that show . . . wish they would bring it back. I realize it probably got tired for them, as they had done just about every version of an issue more than once, but it really helped nerdy me not totally look like a dork. A decade later, I could use a "don't be a dork" fashion rules update.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:01 PM »
That was a good piece, and I appreciate that she wrote it, because it was probably hard to admit. It makes one realize one is always closer to disaster than one would think.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
Lot's of hard luck in her journey, and there are no numbers in the article, but from a Mustachian point of view,
She didn't save for her future!
  The internet stories all have the same number for her net worth $8,000,000.
But, I have to doubt that is true if she is broke now.
  She was the host for about 400 episodes, I have no idea if those paid $10,000
or $30,000 each, but that $4M to $12M in earnings plus the did commercials for 4 different companies.
That could be $1 or $2 million more.
 There are more earnings, clearly she earned a lot of money, and didn't save it.
 Sorry for her life problems but her financial problems belong in the 'Wall of shame and comedy" section.
 OH, dang, that's where it's at!