Author Topic: Spending more than 9 bucks a month on liquor  (Read 22495 times)

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Spending more than 9 bucks a month on liquor
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »
I was torn as to whether this belonged in hall of shame or badassity but I'm currently spending more than the stachian 9 buck limit.  The weather sucks donkey [testes] at the moment and I'm on bloody mary number 3.  Life in FIRE is good, even if, (because?) you have a vice.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: Spending more than 9 bucks a month on liquor
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »
The fact that you're in Houston and saying the weather sucks........ No.  :P

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »
CHEERS!

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »
There is a $9 max on booze per month?   I didn't read that in the fine print!

I'll bike to work.  I'll cook my own food.  I'll only drive an old paid off car.  I will very happily invest in Vanguard index funds.

Booze... sorry that is my breaking point.  I will spend more than $9/monthweek on booze, at least up until the day I get dual part time jobs at New Belgium and Jack Daniels that come with free booze.

There is also currently[right now] freezing rain outside so the weather really does suck donkey ______. 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:12:19 PM »
I drank a nice Belgian beer on Saturday that was $13.  And I drank another one on Sunday.  Although it's in the 70s here, so it's just because I enjoy it, not because the weather sucks. :P

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »
$9/month on booze, I did not read that in the MMM rules. This is an area I am antimustachian on. I enjoy good craft or foreign beers. Sure I could homebrew but I am lazy so I will pay for the work of others.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:38:08 PM »

This.

It sux for Houston.  It's at least nasty enough to drink!

Out of Clamato...Canadian Mist and Off brand Cherry Coke.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »

This.

It sux for Houston.  It's at least nasty enough to drink!

Out of Clamato...Canadian Mist and Off brand Cherry Coke.
Cheers!
And yes, the weather is sucking about now.
I'm glad it doesn't usually last a long time - but ug.
I can take the summer heat because it stays hot long enough to get used to it - heat that can drop a person who flies in from the north and doesn't have time to adjust - I have seen it happen with tourists.

I just don't see enough cold to acclimate.  And my house wasn't built to deal with cold because there isn't enough of it to justify.
Think I will join you on the next round - thanks for the idea :)

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
The weather sucks? The weather SUCKS?!
We had over 6 feet of snow in the past 3 weeks, it was down to -2F (and -27F with wind chill) this weekend,
and apparently more than 10 minutes of exposure would get you frostbite. Please, tell me more about the weather in Houston.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »
We had over 6 feet of snow in the past 3 weeks, it was down to -2F (and -27F with wind chill) this weekend,
and apparently more than 10 minutes of exposure would get you frostbite. Please, tell me more about the weather in Houston.

^^

That.

Though thank goodness I'm not in Boston, but central CT (so like...5 feet of snow in the last three weeks?).

My pipes froze last night :(

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
$9 per week, my friend.  $9 per week!  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/20/its-beer-o-clock/

And I concur, last week's weather was far superior.  What happened today??  Then again, it could be Boston.  We should count our blessings.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »
$9 per week, my friend.  $9 per week!  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/20/its-beer-o-clock/

And I concur, last week's weather was far superior.  What happened today??  Then again, it could be Boston.  We should count our blessings.

You beat me to it!. $9/week. And it's a suggestion, not a rule. So drink up.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 06:21:40 AM »

Neener, neener, neener!

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:10 AM »
Really bad weather here the last couple of days - makes me wonder what bad weather in Houston is like. The pic below is our driveway this morning. There is a jeep parked next to the grey car! It is completely buried in a 7-foot high drift. Just thinking about digging it out has me craving a drink but I drank all I had during the storm...

I did more than nine-bucks worth of drinking yesterday and even more the day before!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 07:16:38 AM »
To all you Yankee's and Canuckistanians with eleventy feet of snow...turn the thermostat up to 90.  I'll let my old coworkers know its time to drill more oil and natural gas to keep you warm.  Appreciate it!

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »
Really bad weather here the last couple of days - makes me wonder what bad weather in Houston is like.

The bridge is 16 feet above the roadway. Of course, that was in 2001 after 31 inches of rain, and February isn't hurricane season.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »
$9?  Yikes... we've cut WAY back on our wine... and we're still at $125 a month (from $200).  I don't think we'll be hitting the $9 mark any time soon. No, wait... any time EVER.  Yeah, that's it.  EVER.

ninjaneer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 07:27:35 AM »
The bridge is 16 feet above the roadway. Of course, that was in 2001 after 31 inches of rain, and February isn't hurricane season.

That is exactly what I was thinking of when PP mentioned what bad weather in Houston is like :)  The exact picture and everything.  It's just missing the 18-wheelers floating down 59 under that overpass.

I moved back to Texas last year from Virginia.  One of the big reasons was to get away from that snow!  I enjoyed the 70 degree weather last weekend ;)

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:09 AM »
My DH is now drinking Hamm's Beer (he likes it) and I am into Trade Joe's wine. We also think the bourbon at TJs is excellent.  It has been a journey/scientific experiment to see what we like and question our assumptions.  Currently, I consider a good month $50 on liquor. 

I am not going to tell you what the weather has been like on the Central Coast of CA. ;)  But guess what, I like to drink wine while I sit outside and watch the sun set, so the weather really doesn't impact this budget line item. 

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
$9?  Yikes... we've cut WAY back on our wine... and we're still at $125 a month (from $200).  I don't think we'll be hitting the $9 mark any time soon. No, wait... any time EVER.  Yeah, that's it.  EVER.

I'm so glad someone, somewhere spends more on wine than we do. Now I can say that we are moderate in our wine spending!  :)

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »
Houston - You have a problem.

I'll take snow any day over flooding. The nine-foot high drifts in the backyard are more of a curiosity than a problem. Hope the flooding subsides quickly.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »

Eh, but when it's -27 out, you shouldn't be walking around without suitable skin cover anyway.  I wouldn't go walking for fun, but it's doable if necessary. As long as I'm mostly bundled up, I don't worry about covering my nose or eyes (though I do take my glasses off because the metal hurts)  When it gets to like -40 windchill is when I start worrying about my health when I need to walk for about a mile or more, even with a face mask.

The six feet of snow, man I feel for you. That truly truly sucks.

I'll take snow any day over flooding. The nine-foot high drifts in the backyard are more of a curiosity than a problem.
The snow can contribute quite a bit to flooding though.  So the god awful winter often turns into a horrific spring.
Our city still hasn't fully recovered from our 2008 floods... and the "500 year" floods are happening every 5 years or so now, it seems.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:23:06 AM by iowajes »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
I definitely spend over $9/month on liquor!  I spent over $9 yesterday on a drink at happy hour ($8+tip=$10), and it was glorious.  Lovely weather, sitting outside on a patio, catching up with a friend.  We also split kim chi and olives (($5+$4)/2).  No guilt.  So amazing.

Spend your money where you value it.  If a little bit of alcohol makes you happy, then I say go for it. 

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
Houston - You have a problem.

I'll take snow any day over flooding. The nine-foot high drifts in the backyard are more of a curiosity than a problem. Hope the flooding subsides quickly.

That picture was from 2001. My parents and sister live in Houston and I don't think anything particularly unpleasant is going on there now other than it being February.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »
I spend a bit TOO much on booze, and I'm fine with reigning it in.  However, in Denver, being the land of microbrews and hipster bars (or hipster microbrews!), $9 won't get you far.

It's probably healthier not to drink so much regardless of cost :P.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
I figure I'll post this since it's weather AND booze related. It's early February and the weather has finally calmed down to a moderate 80 degrees (26C) from the heatwave of 93 (34C) we got last week here in San Diego, so I had a valentine's day picnic with my wife on the cliffs of La Jolla. Guacamole anyone?

Oh and just in case anyone accuses us of not knowing what real winter is, we're both from Russia. But we don't plan on living there again anytime soon.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:52:58 AM by russianswinga »

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
I love you drinking the wine right from the bottle!  lol

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »
I'm so glad someone, somewhere spends more on wine than we do. Now I can say that we are moderate in our wine spending!  :)

Hahaha... glad we can make you feel better on that front, Metta.  :)  We know tons of people who spend way more than we do... maybe you don't have as many wino friends as we do.  We've cut back by going to boxed wine... I got 6 boxes (equivalent to 24 bottles) the other day for $105.  That may possibly last us a whole month.  Maybe.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
I figure I'll post this since it's weather AND booze related. It's early February and the weather has finally calmed down to a moderate 80 degrees (26C) from the heatwave of 93 (34C) we got last week here in San Diego, so I had a valentine's day picnic with my wife on the cliffs of La Jolla. Guacamole anyone?

Oh and just in case anyone accuses us of not knowing what real winter is, we're both from Russia. But we don't plan on living there again anytime soon.

That looks so beautiful! Meanwhile my yard is a wasteland of ice and my Eucalyptus may not survive. Pass the wine!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »

Hahaha... glad we can make you feel better on that front, Metta.  :)  We know tons of people who spend way more than we do... maybe you don't have as many wino friends as we do.  We've cut back by going to boxed wine... I got 6 boxes (equivalent to 24 bottles) the other day for $105.  That may possibly last us a whole month.  Maybe.

We don't drink a lot, but we buy expensive wine. ::looking shame-faced::  We are working our way through a wine course and had to buy the wine for that, which was expensive. Meanwhile my husband has discovered that he loves analyzing and collecting wine. (But is a light-weight when it comes to actually drinking it.)

So we drink about a bottle of wine a week and we currently own about 135 bottles of wine. We have buckled down and our wine budget for the year is $1000. This is meant to put something like brakes on the collecting urge.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 01:28:43 PM »
When I homebrewed, I found I could make very tasty Belgian beer for about $1/bottle (12 oz). Depending on the style and the bottle size, you'll pay $2-6+ per 12 ounces at the grocery store. Pretty fun way to cut back the beer budget, and it's great to barter with.

When I ran the math on lighter beers like pale ales, wheat beers, etc., there are no real savings to brewing it yourself. The higher the ABV and/or IBUs, the more you save by doing it yourself. So Belgians, imperial stouts, quintuple IPAs, things like that make for the best homebrews, and the recipes you can find truly taste as good or better than a lot of the product in the grocery store, except the really top tier stuff.

All that math was based on a 5-gallon malt extract brew. If you go all-grain, the startup costs are higher but the beer can taste even better, and brewing 10-30 gallons at a time reduces the cost per bottle.

For liquor, I reckon you could always whip up some 'shine, but I have no idea the costs.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
When I homebrewed, I found I could make very tasty Belgian beer for about $1/bottle (12 oz). Depending on the style and the bottle size, you'll pay $2-6+ per 12 ounces at the grocery store. Pretty fun way to cut back the beer budget, and it's great to barter with.

When I ran the math on lighter beers like pale ales, wheat beers, etc., there are no real savings to brewing it yourself. The higher the ABV and/or IBUs, the more you save by doing it yourself. So Belgians, imperial stouts, quintuple IPAs, things like that make for the best homebrews, and the recipes you can find truly taste as good or better than a lot of the product in the grocery store, except the really top tier stuff.

All that math was based on a 5-gallon malt extract brew. If you go all-grain, the startup costs are higher but the beer can taste even better, and brewing 10-30 gallons at a time reduces the cost per bottle.

For liquor, I reckon you could always whip up some 'shine, but I have no idea the costs.

You'll need some yeast and sugar (or corn or potatoes or whatever), but the largest expense is the heat (electricity) and cooling (running water) you need when you destill it.

With our taxes, there is no way you can buy 6 beers for $9. If you go for the cheapest, you might be able to get 3. Homebrewing is the best (cheapest) solution.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »
I spent $226.43 on alcohol last year...so that's $18.87 a month or $4.35 a week.

I often go to happy hours with my friends, but don't drink alcohol. Works for me.
It's not that I"m opposed to drinking, I'd rather just not spend money on it. If the alcohol is free, I will gladly drink it.

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »

Make your alcohol go further, mustachian guaranteed.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
We? How many, two?
If so, that's only $14 per person, per week... you're only blowing it by $5. ;)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 01:53:17 PM »
So we drink about a bottle of wine a week and we currently own about 135 bottles of wine. We have buckled down and our wine budget for the year is $1000.
You know, I've had plenty of good wine in my life and I'm still convinced it's all diminishing returns after about $10. I like to keep maybe 10 bottles around so I'll have options, with one or two being something special I plan to share with friends who'd appreciate it. Beyond that... can't see the point. Just takes up space.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
I'm a bad person. My monthly liquor budget is $40. That's one nice bottle of bourbon, and an outing to a bar or a pack of beer for home.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
I'm a bad person. My monthly liquor budget is $40. That's one nice bottle of bourbon, and an outing to a bar or a pack of beer for home.

It's all relative.  I spent more than 3 times that amount over the course of last year.  There, now you can all feel better about yourselves!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
So we drink about a bottle of wine a week and we currently own about 135 bottles of wine. We have buckled down and our wine budget for the year is $1000.
You know, I've had plenty of good wine in my life and I'm still convinced it's all diminishing returns after about $10. I like to keep maybe 10 bottles around so I'll have options, with one or two being something special I plan to share with friends who'd appreciate it. Beyond that... can't see the point. Just takes up space.

Pretty much. But some people have the urge to collect. Bottles of wine at least can be drunk to make room for other wines. You can't say the same about collections of turtle figurines or books or stuffed toys.

As to diminishing returns after $10, maybe. You can find nice riesling for less than $10 for sure! But I've yet to see an Amarone for less than $10.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
I could cut down to $9 a month on liquor, but then life wouldn't be worth living, so nah.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »
My vice is good whisk(e)y. Bourbon. Scotch. Japanese. Rye.

My liquor spending varies widely from month to month. It might be zero one month and an un-Mustachian amount the next (but never TOO unreasonable). Depends on the ebb and flow of social events I attend; if I'm going to a party at a friend's house I won't show up without bringing something, would feel rude otherwise unless they are explicitly trying to get rid of alcohol from the LAST party ;-)

Before discovering MMM, I was pretty carefree about my booze budget, living downtown near all the lively bars and all that. After a peek into the actual numbers, I almost had a heart attack when I saw how much I was spending on booze. Let's just say it was facepunch-worthy.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
We? How many, two?
If so, that's only $14 per person, per week... you're only blowing it by $5. ;)

Yes, it's for two of us (although we'll share if friends drop by, of course!).  But I thought it was $9 a MONTH.  That's never gonna happen...

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »
I could cut down to $9 a month on liquor, but then life wouldn't be worth living, so nah.
You may want to rethink your life if you think your life isn't worth living without alcohol.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »
You may want to rethink your life if you think your life isn't worth living without alcohol.

I did.
Its not.

my alcohol budget is closer to $90 a month.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »

I did.
Its not.

What I meant is...taken literally, you would kill yourself if you couldn't get alcohol?

intirb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

You'll need some yeast and sugar (or corn or potatoes or whatever), but the largest expense is the heat (electricity) and cooling (running water) you need when you destill it.

With our taxes, there is no way you can buy 6 beers for $9. If you go for the cheapest, you might be able to get 3. Homebrewing is the best (cheapest) solution.

FYI, it's illegal to distill alcohol anywhere in the US without a license, even just for personal use.  If you get it wrong, you can concentrate the low levels of methanol present in all undistilled alcoholic beverages, and ingesting too much methanol can cause permanent blindness or death. 

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from acquiring valuable life skills, but this is definitely the kind of thing you should approach with caution.  Ideally, you'd learn how to do this from someone who knows their shit and has a long history of distilling alcoholic beverages without killing anyone or making them blind. 

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »

I did.
Its not.

What I meant is...taken literally, you would kill yourself if you couldn't get alcohol?

probably not. but why take the chance?

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
I found a decent, union-made beer for $18/36 cans, so I am feeling pretty good about myself.  I need to pick up a new case of it, now that I think of it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
We spent about $800 last year on liquor, almost all of it wine or beer that we drink at home with dinner. That works out to $15 per week. I can live with that. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 03:02:02 PM »

I did.
Its not.

probably not. but why take the chance?
"Probably not" - this is why I'm saying your initial statement is ludicrous.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!