Author Topic: Some used vehicles are selling for more now than when they were new  (Read 8064 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Some used vehicles are selling for more now than when they were new
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2021, 10:50:18 AM »
If your cheap car blows an engine or transmission - just replace the engine or transmission. If it is an Asian model, you might be able to buy a low mileage used engine all the way from Japan for cheap. That is what we did with our aged CRV commuter. The car itself is good, has needed a few repairs but no car payment and didn't need to dip into savings to buy a different car.

Right now RockAuto is selling parts for cars this age for dirt cheap. $12 for a front strut? eBay had the AWD front to back driveshaft for $150 delivered. That is less than half what the local auto parts store wants. I'm doing a few repairs that I don't strictly need to - yet. Rear shocks are fine but 22yrs/303K miles old so I'm doing them anyhow since the parts were so cheap. New headlights b/c they were $35 a pair. Swaybar bushings are knocking. ~30 minutes in the driveway and $12.

As ChpBstrd posted, think like a Cuban. At least until the prices begin to stabilize again. I mean if we are discussing frugality in this forum, and this is important to a person, then this can save a person willing to DIY some money. Get a "YouTube degree" specializing in your brand machine. ;)

We have three 20+ year old daily drivers at our house. They do fine. I do recognize some folks may be up north dealing with bad roads and harsh winters so YMMV - literally.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Some used vehicles are selling for more now than when they were new
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »
I do recognize some folks may be up north dealing with bad roads and harsh winters so YMMV - literally.

That still depends on the car.  I drive in Ontario and Quebec, where roads are salted all winter - once already this year.  My car is a 2010 bought spring of 2011, almost 300,000 km, and still going fine.  The head gaskets blew badly in year 2, replaced the engine, and everything has been great so far.  Well, a few panels replaced when a deer committed suicide by car - my car.  My DD's car and SiL's car both have serious rust, and are newer and lower mileage.  Different make.

I do love my Mazda3.