Author Topic: Some people just like to burn money  (Read 4724 times)

chouchouu

• Bristles
Some people just like to burn money
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:45:36 AM »
So I was at an electronics store and got talking to the salesman about wifi hotspotting your iPhone. He mentioned that his phone bill is about $250 a month for the same carrier I am on. I told him about the prepay $2 a day capped option. He then told me that since he is on a plan, "the phone company pays for my phone". I pointed out that at $250 a month he could pay for his phone in six months. He just shrugged. I worked out that at $250 a month he will be paying $6000 on his 24 month contract as opposed to $2029 if he bought the phone outright and utilised prepay for the 24 months. I just don't understand how someone could shrug away $4000 like that, it's the exact same service and product! No doubt when the next iPhone is out he will be upgrading and providing a small windfall to Optus for the rest of his life.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
Re: Some people just like to burn money
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »
People are just bad at math and lazy.   I read yesterday that their are still people paying AOL as and internet portal.   

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
Please don't mention AOL. My mom pays every year so she can make sure that her AOL email address isn't going anywhere. I get that she doesn't want to lose the address, but I don't think she needs to pay for it!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
Please don't mention AOL. My mom pays every year so she can make sure that her AOL email address isn't going anywhere. I get that she doesn't want to lose the address, but I don't think she needs to pay for it!

She shouldn't, my dad was one that continued to pay but a few years ago my brother found a way to keep his email but lose the account. I believe that they have such an option.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »
When my sister upgraded to the iPhone 6, she was almost done with the 2-year contract she had on her iPhone 5 with AT&T. She called and asked how much longer she had to wait to buy the iPhone 6 and get a new contract. AT&T, of course, told her she didn't have to wait and that she could switch now and be on one of those plans where you get your iPhone "free" as part of your plan. You can upgrade whenever you want!!

Now, getting an iPhone 6 isn't mustachian... but she knew enough to know this was really dumb. Paying for the phone and then paying separately for service is always going to be cheaper, even if it means you have to keep your phone for at least 2 years without upgrading it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »

She shouldn't, my dad was one that continued to pay but a few years ago my brother found a way to keep his email but lose the account. I believe that they have such an option.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 12:45:30 PM »

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Anytime, I found this article which basically says that you can do that by changing your service. I haven't done this myself, so I don't know how true this is.

http://abc7news.com/archive/8893470/