Author Topic: Socks in the post  (Read 2043 times)

FIRE-ing in the UK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Socks in the post
« on: April 09, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »
https://sockclub.uk/

I found a subscription service for socks! It gave me a giggle but I really don't understand why someone would need a new pair of socks every two months.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
Re: Socks in the post
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
Maybe it's for people with especially hungry washers/dryers.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 03:17:47 PM »
Hmm, £49 a year for socks... I pay more like £10 for 10 pairs.
This is quite funny though, and reminds me of one of my clients. He's a highly respected professor in his field, but when I teach him Pilates, he always wears the most interesting socks. Last week they had London buses on them ...

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »
Two small points to add:

1. I've started wearing fancy socks in the last couple of years, and while I don't pay ten dollars a pair, I have noticed a marked improvement in how my socks hold up to wear and tear. There is, generally speaking, a difference between the one-euro-a-pair socks I used to wear and the fancier ones I wear now - and my more expensive ones are far more fun.

2. If you must spend money frivolously, fifty pounds a year for fancy socks that arrive in the post like gifts is pretty low-intensity.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:29 AM »
I really don't understand why someone would need a new pair of socks every two months.

I certainly buy more than 6 pairs per year (and they're heavy duty "work" socks.) Part of that is teenage sons home from uni accidentally acquiring my clothes (I bet they don't buy socks ever...), part is washing machine eating them, but mostly lots of gardening & walking wearing them out.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 07:00:34 AM »
Two small points to add:

1. I've started wearing fancy socks in the last couple of years, and while I don't pay ten dollars a pair, I have noticed a marked improvement in how my socks hold up to wear and tear. There is, generally speaking, a difference between the one-euro-a-pair socks I used to wear and the fancier ones I wear now - and my more expensive ones are far more fun.

2. If you must spend money frivolously, fifty pounds a year for fancy socks that arrive in the post like gifts is pretty low-intensity.

Re: point 2, my grandma loved brightly colored fancy socks. A 1-year subscription would have been an excellent Christmas gift for her.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 07:19:16 AM »
Although I consider spending $50 on six pairs of socks of dubious quality insane, I do wear expensive socks (but I don't pay for them). Socks are my go-to gift request for those in my life that insist on buying me presents even after I've worked to dissuade the practice amongst adults. For those that accept utilitarian gift requests, I request sturdy hiking socks, such as Smartwool or Darn Tough (they can run up to $20 a pair if one doesn't watch for sales).

For those that insist on "fun" gifts, I have styled myself as a sock collector/fan so they purchase me socks with fun designs. These gifts really ARE fun, too, as people try to find the perfect socks for my interests, personality, or an inside joke we share. My feet are always colorful, important for mental health in the gray PNW, and I haven't bought myself a pair of socks in decades.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
Bought these in Dec 2016: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTMAM04/
Still going strong. Rotate through them every M-F. And some weekends, vacations.

Have a new stock of 6 pairs of funky socks from tech companies at a recent conference. Wore a bright red pair to work holiday party, dressed in my finest suit. Many of us did similar. Party theme was "Twist on Tradition" but had to wear black tie. In addition to the red socks, wore my dad's shiny black pencil tie.