Author Topic: So yesterday I went out to a club, why is everyone wearing 100$+ clothes?  (Read 8018 times)

LAdria27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Realy, every person from 16 to 40 was wearing lacost/TH/ralph lauren (you name it) shirts. Is it the pressure from our society to be accepted for what you wear? I actualy felt out of place ahah

What are your toughts onthis?

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
It was a club.  I'm pretty sure the whole intent is to market yourself for whatever gains you desire (sex/relationship/status symbol).  Keeping a facade is important it seems.

To be honest though, I don't get it so I might be missing something.  I like dancing and going out, but the club scene baffles me so I might just be outside of their market.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
If I want a fancy shirt, I go to a store that sells inventory from bankrupt businesses. I got some nice no-iron shirts from the store in question.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Shirts from Polo, Lacoste, etc, are often available at outlets for 50% off, and TJ Maxx for even more % off.

trashmanz

• Bristles
And you are assuming they are not cheap knockoffs.

eddiejoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When you are spending the equivalent of a week's worth of groceries on a round of drinks, what is the big deal about $95 for Polo shirt?  "The Club" (Country or Night) is about the most antimustachian places in the world. I wouldn't equate "our society" with the self selecting people you see at a night club.

In general, clothing is much less of a status symbol now that it used to be. 95% of my wardrobe comes from Target, Old Navy, or a clearance rack and I hardly ever feel out of place dress-wise. In fact, when I do feel people are judging me based on attire, that is a handy barometer telling me I'm around people who don't share my values and it's time to skedaddle. 

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Going to a club doesn't have to be unmustachian. My partner and I met up at our friend's condo, pregamed with a dozen friends, walked to the club before 10pm, and only the men had to pay an $8 cover charge. We stayed until after midnight and didn't buy any drinks.

Everyone had so much more fun than the equivalent going to a movie or out to dinner and it was less expensive than many boring alternatives. This was the first '80s and '90s club I went to and it was a total blast because I actually knew all of the songs!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
In general, clothing is much less of a status symbol now that it used to be.

I buy a lot of my clothes from LL Bean (I've got an extremely long torso and they sell lots of clothes in Tall, plus it is very high quality).  Almost all of it has no logos, you can't tell the difference between an LL Bean polo ($29) and some generic one, except the LL Bean won't shrink and will last forever. 

InnTee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I buy a lot of my clothes from LL Bean (I've got an extremely long torso and they sell lots of clothes in Tall, plus it is very high quality).

Me too, and for the same reason! Unfortunately LL Bean doesn't have a huge range of styles, or I'd probably only shop there.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
So yeah, I might be wearing $100+ clothes, but I sure as hell didn't pay that for them.
^This^

zoltani

As other have said, you kind find nice cheap name brand clothes at discount stores.

Adopt more of a DNGAF attitude. Who cares what others are doing, you're there to have fun, right?

TimmyTightWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The brands you listed aren't really that expensive, you can get those shirts for <$30 from outlets or a sale.
I'm seeing more people wearing $1000 Thom Browne sweatsuits and $600 Fendi monster sweaters now days. Was in Manhatten recently and saw a young teen head to toe in Fendi, probably >$3000 worth of clothes assuming it was all real, really mind boggling.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:58:31 AM by TimmyTightWad »

Hunny156

• Bristles
Went to an offsite work event yesterday with my dept, and since we could get messy, we were advised to wear junky clothes.  As we put our aprons on, my boss points to her t-shirt and says, $4 At Old Navy.  I point to my dress (which has a stain from when I was painting the fence), and say "$12 at Ross.  We fist bumped.  She's awesome!  :)

JR

• Stubble
TJ Maxx sells RL polo shirts for like $20. Don't know if I have seen the other brands there though.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
TJ Maxx sells RL polo shirts for like $20. Don't know if I have seen the other brands there though.

This is why the true luxury brands will frequently just cast their unsold merchandise in the trash. It's better for the image than for the label to be seen on the racks of a discount retailer.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

Just checked and there aren't any TJ Maxx close by. Any clue if there are any other places that sell name-brand or decent quality polo shirts for $20 and under? I love wearing polo's and can generally use more of them. During the summer I'll usually just wear a polo every day as they are comfortable and work in both social and work settings (laid back off).

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
The brands you listed aren't really that expensive, you can get those shirts for <$30 from outlets or a sale.
I'm seeing more people wearing $1000 Thom Browne sweatsuits and $600 Fendi monster sweaters now days. Was in Manhatten recently and saw a young teen head to toe in Fendi, probably >$3000 worth of clothes assuming it was all real, really mind boggling.

This is too funny because I see someone everyday in those sweatpants or sweatshirts.  As I read your post, I thought you lived near me, haha.

You can be financially savvy at a club.  The idea is to prehydrate!  The purpose is to avoid feeling any obligation to tipping the busy bartender for serving you a water. 

I remember going to clubs and purposely not wearing nice shoes because I didn't want some drunk person spilling something on them or people stepping all over them. 

Also, at the end of the day you have to realize this.  There are some people that have A LOT of money. They can spend thousands on clothes and it impacts them as much as you switching from organic eggs to cage free organic eggs.

They can also just have a few nicer options that they chose to wear on that one day of their life that you saw them at the club.   

I have a few nice pieces of clothing that people can see and think I am financially irresponsible by owning.  Quality over quantity.  I have a pair of tennis shoes that retails over $300.  I have owned them for 7 years and wear them frequently.  They are still in great condition.  My price? a little over $100.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
TJ Maxx

The only clothing store I have set foot in for years. Slightly out of fashion? Yes, please.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
TJ Maxx

The only clothing store I have set foot in for years. Slightly out of fashion? Yes, please.

My wife likes TJ Maxx because she likes to browse for clothes.  I don't, I say "I need a blue polo shirt in size XL tall" and I expect the store to have it (or be able to order it), I don't want to hunt for it amongst all the other crap.  I also spend like $200 a year on clothes so getting it for the absolute rock-bottom price isn't a factor for me, I just want what I want in high quality so it lasts a long time.

emduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Stacked department store sales can knock those brands down to about the same cost as a full price item from Target.  A lot of fancy brands also have diffusion lines, which are lines with similarly branded (but often less well-made) clothes made specifically for stores like TJ Maxx or their own outlet.  (Most outlets, and much of the stock at stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Ross, are no longer primarily factory seconds/returns/overstock; they typically make items specifically for the outlet.)

There's also second-hand.  I have some expensive but not full-on designer clothes--Eileen Fisher, Lilly Pulitzer, Filson, Pendleton, $150+ retail jeans etc..--but got them all used at thrift stores, garage sales, or Ebay.  They cost more than most of the random stuff you'd find at Goodwill, but generally less than shopping non-clearance at Target or Old Navy. 

Alternately, people willing to pay a cover and outrageous drink prices may not be frugal when it comes to clothes, either. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache

Just checked and there aren't any TJ Maxx close by. Any clue if there are any other places that sell name-brand or decent quality polo shirts for $20 and under? I love wearing polo's and can generally use more of them. During the summer I'll usually just wear a polo every day as they are comfortable and work in both social and work settings (laid back off).

Do you want Ralph Lauren, or do you want polo shirts? JC Penny has great polo shirts (no logo embroidered, they are St. Johns bay, their house brand) for $10 right now and you can use sales.

The first post made me laugh. you could replace "the club" with middle school for me. That was the only time I cared enough to wear Ralph Lauren.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
RL polo shirts have been fashionable for at least 20 years now? If you move in networking circles that value a certain image and are capable of looking after your clothing, a couple of $$ polo shirts with the 'right' logo on them isn't a terrible investment compared to those people out buying a new outfit every week.

BigFatherA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When you're my size the only fashion statement is "Does it fit?"

TomTX

• Walrus Stache

Fendi sounds vaguely familiar, like someone mentioned it before. Never heard of the other one.

My "nice" shirts tend to be Cremieux (Dillard's, minimum of 75% off, typically >80% off. So, like $10-$15.)

trashmanz

• Bristles
You probably paid more for entrance and drinks than some of them did for their clothes. 

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Do you have a Kmart? When mine went out of business, their polo shirts were on sale for $2 a piece. That's the same price as our local thrift shop. I've had them for about six months now, they have held up in the wash, but I don't dry them.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache

Do you have a Kmart? When mine went out of business, their polo shirts were on sale for $2 a piece. That's the same price as our local thrift shop. I've had them for about six months now, they have held up in the wash, but I don't dry them.

Just checked and there appears to be one near where a good friend lives so I'll check it out. I've been putting off cleaning out my closet and reorganizing my bedroom so I'll do that before I buy any new clothes.