Author Topic: Snowmobile Mania  (Read 2912 times)

JPWI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Snowmobile Mania
« on: March 02, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »
Attached photo....

People driving their big, expensive, gas guzzling SUV's and trucks so they can pull their big expensive trailers that have big expensive gas guzzling snowmobiles.  So, after they've driven to the trails, they make a lot of noise and burn more even gas driving around all day with no particular purpose.  Very Anti-mustachian!

To make matters worse, the other end of this parking lot has some of the best cross country ski trails around, an activity that is healthy, good for the environment, and quiet!

Thespoof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Snowmobile Mania
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »
Trailers?! Wow! And covered trailers to boot! Guys around here just load them on the back of their massive pickups.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »
I was chatting the other day with a guy at work.  He's come to the realization that it's too expensive hobby and he's selling his set up.  Talking numbers with him, here's what it runs:
The trailers are between 8 and 20k, depending on size and details.  4 sleds in 'em are on the order of 10-15k each new, 5k for recent used.  Then there's the large truck or SUV to pull it, call that 40-50k.  For a full set up, it's easy to be into in for 60-100k.  Add to that - the truck is going to be a daily driver, so you're sucking down gas at 15-20MPG versus 30MPG for a more economical car, or even mid to upper 20's for a small SUV (Escape / RAV etc).  The wear and depreciation on the sleds, trailer, truck - I'd hate to run the numbers to see what a trip actually costs in terms of dollars per hour....but then again, I doubt many who are into snowmobiling do.  A quick search indicates rentals here in the PNW are on the order of 200-350 / day per sled (trailer included) and they only rent 2 or more.

I have to say, by the way, those are actually quite "modest" [giggles] set ups in the picture.  At the snow parks I go to (I-90, east of Seattle) I see some truly massive set ups.  The huge enclosed trailers with 6 sleds towed by the crew cab 4x4 large truck.  After talking with the co-worker, I see those setups as being at least 100k.  There are also the guys with 2 sleds on the fancy ramp thing on the back of the full size pick up.

Meanwhile, the GF and I have our low few hundred dollar each cross country ski set up (about the same cost as renting a sled for 1 or 2 days).  Other than gas to get there, it costs us nothing (after plunking down for the annual sno park pass) to go skiing.

Otsog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
Everyone keeps asking me when I am going to buy a machine (atv or snowmobile). I live in a air access only community in the middle of the Arctic so it's insanely expensive just to ship up here. I know one guy said his was ~10k just shipping.  They are great to go out hunting with, but I think I'll stick to renting for $20 a day whenever I want to go out.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »
People driving their big, expensive, gas guzzling SUV's and trucks so they can pull their big expensive trailers that have big expensive gas guzzling snowmobiles. 

Be fair, now.  They can use the SUV & trailer in the summer, to pull their noisy gas-guzzling Jet Skis :-)

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »

I used to have a small hobby farm, found it too expensive though.  It was beautiful and quiet in the winter after a fresh snowfall, ROAR! wait waits that, oh yeah its the neighbors and their posse in the fields on their modified sleds.  But the summers, oh so pretty and quiet, ROAR! wait whats that, oh its the neighbors and their posse testing out their pull trucks and tractors in the fields.  Its a common lifestyle it seems. :-/