Moustaches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: March 26, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:30:50 AM by Moustaches »

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
Re: Six Science Based Ways that Money Can Buy Happiness
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
Agree with 1,5 and 6. no. 4 is a bit random for me.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
They have science about picking up the cheque?

I agree with only #1 & #5.

#3 & #4 are a bit vague.  ...Like are you going to a stadium team sports event or a rock concert?  Or are you kicking a ball around with your friends or playing guitar in your living room?  Once you have an instrument/some sports equipment/some paints and brushes, these should hardly cost anything.  Most of that stuff you can even pick up on Craigslist, Kijiji, or at garage sames for nothing.  Soccer/foot balls even come free in cases of beer sometimes.  Considering the number of people trying to give away player pianos on Kijiji, that hobby should cost nothing.  ...And watercolours?  Under $2.

#6 Can make me happy sometimes.  But only if it's not a fancypants restaurant. (I really have no business being in those and if I do find myself in one, it's not my doing--e.g., I was either dragged, pressured, or conned into going there.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:12:40 PM by Kaspian »

Bstarr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:16:52 PM »
I appreciate some of this, but a staycation is not much of a vaca... I like new things, places, people, the sound of the ocean, etc.  Hanging out in my house with my kids is just not that much of a treat. Also, I don't hire a house cleaner, but I think it would add monetary value to my life.  The rest I get.  It feels good to create, give and move your body.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:28:34 PM »
Staycations aren't vacations.

If you like the outdoors (as we do) you can do pretty low cost vacations around things like wilderness canoe trips, backpacking trips and so on.   I personally hate staying at resorts and the idea of 2 weeks on a cruise ship makes my hair stand on end.

I think the mustachian way is to have the experience without "purchasing" it.  You don't need to 'hire' a company to give you a great vacation.  You can cut expenses by travel hacking.  And so on.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
For #2 the obvious Mustachian response is to insource as much labor as you can.

The other five are not really anti-Mustachian. Vacations, sports, and the arts are worthy pursuits if you just keep in mind that a peak life is lived off-peak. And even MMM doesn't say that the appropriate amount of charity giving is zero for the pre-FI and is actually OK if you pick up the check occasionally.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 03:55:17 PM »
These ways of "buying" happiness are all either (1) do something you enjoy, (2) don't do something you don't like, or (3) be generous. Does anyone need to be told that the way to be happy is to do things you like???? I'm surprised they didn't include "Eat your favorite dessert" or "Have good sex" (I guess buying sex is technically illegal so no wonder they didn't include it) or maybe "Scratch an itch and take a nap."

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:02:39 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/03/26/six-science-based-ways-that-money-actually-can-buy-happiness/

1. Go on Vacation
Mustachian response: Staycations!

Call me crazy, but I like to explore the world, but luckily I can pay for at least half of that through credit card and checkiing account bonuses

2. Hire a Housekeeper
Mustachian response: Don't buy a house if you don't like maintaining it!

Agree, that's clown behavior

3. Pay for Sports
Mustachian response: Ride a bike!

I'm a runner/triathlete so there are race fees, I like tennis, obviously racquet costs money though I keep mine for at least a few yrs

4. Indulge in something artistic
Mustachian response: Create something yourself!

Agree
5. Give to charity

Mustachian response: Invest your dollars wisely and maximize the amount of charity in your final will!
I like to give now too though

6. Pick up the check
Mustachian response: Make friends with people that live close to you that enjoy BBQs!

I think it just means be generous with good friends and family from time to time

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »
Vacations can and definitely do buy happiness. I have to be away from my home, better yet, my town, to "reset" and feel like I'm on break.
The key to do it on the cheap. Like a Caribbean cruise for $300/per person for a balcony, with cheap airfare to boot. A trip like this once a year is NOT anti-mustachian if you love to travel, as it puts multiple itineraries on your list that you would not be able to accomplish for nearly the same price if you were going to those destinations individually. Plus, everything except alcohol is already paid for! With that, hello from Grand Turk and St. Maarten!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:56:56 PM by russianswinga »

queenie

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 05:14:22 PM »
$300 pp for balcony with everything but alcohol included?  Whhhhat?  I always assumed we could never afford a cruise or anything fancy like that!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 05:28:18 PM »
I love #1 and a staycation doesn't cut it for me. There are plenty of cheap ways to travel though...

Wupper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 05:34:47 PM »
I love #1 and a staycation doesn't cut it for me. There are plenty of cheap ways to travel though...

My thoughts exactly.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
I'm going to Hawaii this year for around 200 out of pocket for 10 days with my wife at 5 star hotels and renting a jeep wrangler. That's a mustacian vacation

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 06:22:55 AM »
$300 pp for balcony with everything but alcohol included?  Whhhhat?  I always assumed we could never afford a cruise or anything fancy like that!

It takes some flexibility, as these kinds of rates are usually the "Last minute getaway" type rates that are offered when the cruise line is trying to fill rooms for a cruise that is departing soon (think a week from now or less), but there are really good deals to be had if you have that kind of schedule flexibility.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 06:31:25 AM »

It takes some flexibility, as these kinds of rates are usually the "Last minute getaway" type rates that are offered when the cruise line is trying to fill rooms for a cruise that is departing soon (think a week from now or less), but there are really good deals to be had if you have that kind of schedule flexibility.

Doesnt have to be just that.  There are deals that come out all thime that arent even last minute.  I've had 600 p/p booze included and gratuties included before in a balcony for a week long cruise. 

Vacationing isnt as expensive as most people think.

As stated above we are spending 10 days in hawaii for a cost of 100 per person including airfare hotels and rental Jeep. and it may be cheaper than that. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:04 AM »

Yet another perk of reaching FI, eh?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »

Yet another perk of reaching FI, eh?

I was of a non-drinking age the last time I was on a cruise but my cousins smuggled rum on board and purchased some soda, so they avoided the insane prices for drinks.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
Not drinking on cruises makes them incredibly affordable...

Carnival lets you bring a bottle of wine per person over 21, and a "reasonable amount" of soda (which they usually define as a 12 pack.)

2 bottles of wine and a 12 pack of soda each gets my husband (he's the wine drinker) and I through a seven day cruise without buying anything else to drink.   We are rule followers so we don't smuggle booze, but there are all kinds of products made to make it undetectable in the luggage.

I've actually gotten off a cruise with a room card bill that only included the gratuities. Didn't buy a single thing on that ship.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
This post, for me, underlines why people think that you can have no fun at all if you are frugal. It seems as if you are not allowed to spend any money at all, not even a little bit, even though it makes you happy.

I want to go on holiday because I love to be outside in nature. I go hiking and camping which costs something, but not a lot. Hiking through mountains and rainforests has a lot more impact than watching it on Youtube and you can't replace it with a walk though the Dutch potato fields either. I can bike to work, but my sport is scuba diving. I buy equipment that lasts, have almost free weekends of amazing diving in The Netherlands and relatively cheap scuba diving holidays (due to having my own equipment) abroad. I like to treat my friends who are in less well paid jobs to theater tickets every now and again, even though we usually just cook for each other and have a nice evening in. I do give to charity now as I am not sure my money still is useful to them 45 years from now, as they are solving issues right here and now.

I spend a lot less than the majority of people but yes, I am spending, exactly on the categories mentioned, as these are the things that make me happy and/or make a difference for the people around me. If the definition of frugal is not "spend only a little and spend it wisely" but "do not spend at all" then you can't count me as frugal or mustachian.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »
Staycations aren't vacations.

If you like the outdoors (as we do) you can do pretty low cost vacations around things like wilderness canoe trips, backpacking trips and so on.   I personally hate staying at resorts and the idea of 2 weeks on a cruise ship makes my hair stand on end.

I think the mustachian way is to have the experience without "purchasing" it.  You don't need to 'hire' a company to give you a great vacation.  You can cut expenses by travel hacking.  And so on.
+1

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
I agree with you Shamantha.  There is no point to me of stashing away money just to not spend it.
I'm frugal in my daily life so that I can spend it on the things that matter.

Travel matters to me, scuba diving matters to me, going to broadway shows matters to me, buying a crapload of fabric and art quilting matters to me.

What fun is having money if you can't spend it?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/03/26/six-science-based-ways-that-money-actually-can-buy-happiness/

1. Go on Vacation
Mustachian response: Staycations!

2. Hire a Housekeeper
Mustachian response: Don't buy a house if you don't like maintaining it!

3. Pay for Sports
Mustachian response: Ride a bike!

4. Indulge in something artistic
Mustachian response: Create something yourself!

5. Give to charity
Mustachian response: Invest your dollars wisely and maximize the amount of charity in your final will!

6. Pick up the check
Mustachian response: Make friends with people that live close to you that enjoy BBQs!

You see, that's why I like the variety of people on these forums!

1. Vacations - I actually have been enjoying staycations lately, because I have two kids, one a toddler.  And vacations with a toddler is not a vacation, it's a "trip".  Now, I live in a vacation destination, so when we "staycation", we can rent kayaks or SUP, go to the beach, hike, try new restaurants, explore local areas that we have never been before AND get to sleep in our own beds!

(That said, I used to like going places and exploring new places, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it again in a few years.  I believe age 4 or 5 is when it got easier with #1).

2. Housekeeper - am an anti-mustachian here.  We have one.  I love her.

3.  Sports - this is a tough one for me.  I love group fitness, and have really enjoyed (in the past) group training for triathlons, volleyball leagues, running groups.  I have been trying to cut back on this because even though I love it, it seems like I'm throwing money away when I already have a gym membership.  Do I *really* need to spend $275 for a tri training group, plus $125 for the triathlon fee?  Plus, I have limited time these days.

4.  Arts - yes!  For me this would be making quilts (still not cheap), knitting or crocheting, or taking a painting class.  The main limitation here is time, so I end up coloring with my kids.

5.  Charity - I totally agree with giving to charity.  I don't think charity is anti-mustachian

6.  Pick up the check - I enjoy doing this occasionally but prefer free stuff like pot-lucks.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
To quote some stand up comedian (Daniel Tosh, maybe?)

Money buys jet skis. Have you ever seen a sad person on a jet ski?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
I'm surprised at the amount of criticism of staycations - I love hanging out where I live.  To each their own.  I also like vacation hacking.

Everyone differs. Most times I've gone on a vacation, I feel as if I can't unwind due to flying (anxious flyer, can't shake this irrational feeling), getting around, planning events, loneliness if I travel alone, whereas a staycation enables me to relax.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
Everyone differs. Most times I've gone on a vacation, I feel as if I can't unwind due to flying (anxious flyer, can't shake this irrational feeling), getting around, planning events, loneliness if I travel alone, whereas a staycation enables me to relax.

It's the curse of the Overscheduled Vacation! When I travel somewhere I try not to plan ahead to have more than one scheduled activity per day -- maybe one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. at most. I prefer to leave big blocks of free uncommitted time for open exploration and indulging in "emergent" activities as I stumble across them.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 12:59:44 PM »

It's the curse of the Overscheduled Vacation! When I travel somewhere I try not to plan ahead to have more than one scheduled activity per day -- maybe one in the a.m. and one in the p.m. at most. I prefer to leave big blocks of free uncommitted time for open exploration and indulging in "emergent" activities as I stumble across them.

That's a good way to do it. I've never been that great of an explorer, but that might be a consequence of how I was brought up. Schedulingwise I haven't been able to vacation with some of my friends who are pro's at planning vacations, would prefer to go with one of them as they know how to handle all the logistics.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »
I don't like unscheduled vacations.  I don't want to waste time lying around when I am somewhere else. I can lay around at home when I get back.

Wupper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
When I go on vacation, I ALWAYS make a daily schedule. Lots of thought goes into it, and I'm pretty good at sticking with the plan. However, my schedule probably looks different than you may expect. Here's a sample of Day #2 last June in Panama City Beach, Florida.

Morning
1) breakfast at Sunnyside Grill.
2) drink coffee, read book on balcony
3) walk on beach (approx 2 miles)

Afternoon
1) beach day, relax, swim, drink 6-pack Bud Light
2) lunch- sandwiches in beach house
3) fly kite
4) take nap

Evening
1) dinner at Schooner's
2) after dinner drinks at the bar with my wife
3) watch sunset from beach house
4) evening swim
5) sex

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »
I don't like unscheduled vacations.  I don't want to waste time lying around when I am somewhere else. I can lay around at home when I get back.

So what you're saying is that if you don't make an advance plan to do a scheduled activity, your default option is "lying around"?  Yeah, I agree -- that's probably not much good either. :) My purpose for open blocks of time is to leave room for some spontaneous activity.