Author Topic: Shortest Car Trip Ever.  (Read 6961 times)

TheVagabond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Vagabond Finance
Shortest Car Trip Ever.
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
A few weeks ago I was heading down the highway on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming.  I saw a vehicle pull out of a driveway, turn left, drive 45 feet and pull into the driveway next door!  I guess it was snowing, but really?  You drove to your nextdoor neighbor's house?

gdborton

• Bristles
Re: Shortest Car Trip Ever.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Could they have not been carpooling?

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »
Ha! I know people that would do that. The idea of walking or being uncomfortable for 5 seconds is so foreign in our culture.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
Maybe they were going to drive their neighbor to town?

Now, it's the people who drive to their mailboxes that are completely insane. In my defense, it was nearly 3/4 mile roundtrip.

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »
Like the ones who drive from the grocery store to the liquor store that is attached to the side of the grocery store. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:12:32 PM by Rich M »

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
Saw one last week that was for sure antimustachian. Group of 4 people leaving a restaurant and driving to the parking lot across the street. A total of a couple hundred feet - if they had walked - but actually more than that driving because they had to park at the end of the lot. Don't get it.

sonofczar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
In my old neighbourhood I had a neighbour who would start the car in winter, let it run for 20 minutes to warm up (this is in Manitoba, Canada -25C outside), then drive for 5 minutes (about 3 of those minutes waiting in line at the drive-thru) to go and buy a $3 coffee. from the shop 3 blocks away.  Way too much effort for me!

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
Saw one this morning like this.

I'm at the gas station filling up. This is one of those gas stations that has a set of gas pumps and a store/mini-mart in the same parking lot. Car next to me finishes filling up. This guy gets in his car, and drives to the mini-mart to park in the stall right out front. No joke, it has to be about 15 or 20 feet away from the pump he was using.

There were no cars waiting in line for gas, so it's not like he was in a hurry to leave the pump station.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
In the winter on my way to work on my bicycle, I often see a man back his car about 30 feet down the driveway. He opens his door to pick up the newspaper and drives back into his garage. I thought he might be handicapped, but I see him in the yard gardening when the weather is nicer. 

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »
My in-laws drove to a party that took my husband and I 6 minutes to walk to. We left at the same time and we turned the corner as they are walking up the drive (it is a corner house). The worst part in my opinion was it was a party with plenty of drink flowing. **sigh**

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 07:22:01 AM »
Have a neighbor who spent  15 yrs. as the perfect helicopter parent. She would drive the two spawn to the bus stop and sit in the car with the little precious ones until they stepped on to the bus. Rain, shine, hot cold or perfect, it didn't matter.  The bus stop, BTW was in her front yard. The daily commute may of been 90'  Oddly enough, the family of four was about 400-500 lbs overweight, collectively. Huh?

RedMaple

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 07:38:19 AM »
When my dad purchased his first car for $100 from a relative, he'd drive it everywhere... including the grocery store 2 blocks away. He was so proud to have car.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
My gf likes to drive the 200 yards to the gym. "But its hot out and I'll sweat when I walk home."

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
Saw one this morning like this.

I'm at the gas station filling up. This is one of those gas stations that has a set of gas pumps and a store/mini-mart in the same parking lot. Car next to me finishes filling up. This guy gets in his car, and drives to the mini-mart to park in the stall right out front. No joke, it has to be about 15 or 20 feet away from the pump he was using.

There were no cars waiting in line for gas, so it's not like he was in a hurry to leave the pump station.

To be honest, I sometimes to this to clear up a pump at a busy gas station. Seems rude to sit there and head inside while someone is waiting for an open pump

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
If you weren't living across the Atlantic I'd say you've had the pleasure of meeting the woman I've met a while ago, driving to the supermarket across the street ;)

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »
At my previous residence, there was a big Fred Meyer (grocery/dept store) across the street. I was the only one in my apartment complex that walked there. Granted, it could sometimes take awhile for traffic on Hwy 101 to clear up enough to walk across, but "awhile" = 4 min. Not even long enough for ice cream to melt.

My current residence is 1/4 mile from a grocery store. Again, I'm the only one I've seen actually walk there. It's too short to even bother riding my bicycle.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!