Author Topic: Shaming myself: consumer-sucka shopping during lockdown  (Read 5126 times)

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
Re: Shaming myself: consumer-sucka shopping during lockdown
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »
Wow, I had a shocking moment today when my credit card was DECLINED. I have a low limit to thwart potential fraudsters, but I pay it off every month and rarely exceed 50% of the limit. I knew that I had been shopping (online) more than usual this month, but I hadn't realized how much. The money isn't a problem, but I'm sort of horrified by how oblivious I was to it. Clothes, boots, a fancy dog bed, a university course that I don't need, an ice cream subscription, cosmetics, botox... just a list of consumer sucker indulgences that don't really impact my quality of life in proportion to their cost. I went online and paid the card off, withdrew from the course, and cancelled my ice cream subscription. I may need to dust off my old spending spreadsheet for a few months to remind myself of the virtues in conscious spending.

Samuel

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2020, 11:09:33 AM »
I've been pretty good about avoiding excess spending during the pandemic (booze excluded) but just broke down and bought a fancy new camera. A good sale coincided with day 6 of being under apartment arrest due to abysmal air quality here in Seattle and, well, one thing led to another. Beware the double lockdown blues.

It's not completely terrible since I've had my eye on this camera for a while and after selling what it'll replace it's a $300-400 upgrade, but it was undoubtedly a frustration driven act of self medication.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2020, 01:35:57 PM »
We have somewhat made up for the interior decorating spending binge by selling stuff found in the basement. Made almost $300 so far.

anni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2020, 02:01:53 PM »
We have somewhat made up for the interior decorating spending binge by selling stuff found in the basement. Made almost $300 so far.

I am also starting to make up for my goofy spending by selling off the nicer pieces of my work wardrobe online :D not like any of it is going to fit me whenever I have to go back to an office, anyway! LOL

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 09:12:56 AM »
I shamed myself after ordering 3 1lb bags of coffee from a local roaster about 2-3 months back. $15 per bag. I felt it was ridiculous.

But then when I received them, they had been roasted only 2 days prior. Ground a handful of beans from each and made 3 coffees. Oh. so. good. Wife. approved.

Yesterday received my new batch. This morning, very happy wife and me. Fresh grind.

On the other hand, I sold quite a few old electronics and car parts on Craigslist. That will go towards more coffee since I barely drink beer anymore and zero hard spirits.

Now i need to get rid of the hard liquor, including Peruvian pisco I bought in Ica, Peru from the distiller. Or can make a big batch of Pisco sours.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 09:53:08 AM »
I'd been doing well, but the past month has been a flurry of art supplies. 

My depression is not well controlled right now.  I don't drink, I don't do drugs. I'm still well within my means.  I return a lot of what I buy on the spur of the moment.  But I'm well aware I am only buying because of endorphins and a hope it will make me happy

But really, what I need is an appt with my psychiatrist and not amazon; but well, they aren't doing in person appts and I don't want to do online. So amazon it is.