Author Topic: Shaming myself: consumer-sucka shopping during lockdown  (Read 16370 times)

anni

• Stubble
Shaming myself: consumer-sucka shopping during lockdown
« on: July 23, 2020, 01:26:14 PM »
It's been a wild month for Random Stupid Shopping in July, especially given the impending doom (?) of the entire economy (?) and my livelihood (?) ... but I've got an e-fund and I'm lucky enough to remain employed. And uh, life is short....?

I've been justifying things by saying I'd be spending the money out at bars and concerts if I could, probably. Talk about a sucka. I thought this might be a friendly(ish) place to put myself down a bit... while also experiencing enough shame to not do this next month. I must confess to repent!

First of all, $140 on roller skates. $50 worth of glitter. And a $30 shirt. My roommates and I are going full disco this summer. We are also going kind of crazy.

Oh also, about $70 in hand poke tattoo supplies. Yeah, going a little crazy. Half of the cost was actually useful stuff like gloves and cleaning supplies, so that's alright, right? 😬

Then another $200 on art supplies, clothes to replace what my foster dog chewed up, a pack of 50 cotton face masks to tie-dye, and a little bit of food delivery when our power's gone out in summer storms.

They all seemed like little indulgences at the time, but it's been death by a thousand FedEx deliveries as far as FIRE goes. Anybody else losing it? Please take away my Amazon password. Thanks

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Shaming myself: consumer-sucka shopping during lockdown
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »
I've been kind of giving myself a pass these past few months... now that we've announced remote learning for the kids this fall... yeah... we've spent some money.

We bought a really huge and expensive trampoline. We call it the "covid trampoline" because we never would have bought it without covid. But trying to WFH and balance recess and get exercise. Hopefully this will help. Sorry not sorry. If it helps me keep my sanity, it's becoming worth it. Face punch or not.

I also bought myself another bike earlier in the pandemic so I can gravel bike (already have a road bike...or two).

Books - typically I don't buy books but with the libraries closed indefinitely and long long wait times for kindle/ipad books... I've bought the bullet and purchased books which I really haven't done in years. Both for myself and the family.

I am lucky I have enough money and a steady job right now to buy what I want and stay sane. But yeah, I'm checking myself less and less with these purchases. I guess because usually we spend money on travel and experiences and right now... there are none! So maybe I'm not really spending more in actual $ but I'm buying "stuff" which I typically don't do.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 06:19:31 AM »
We've had a ton of things break over the past few months, mostly small things, except for the dishwasher.  While shopping to replace items, I have made a few impulse purchases, but they were all useful things.   One serving dish might be a little gray in the useful department, but I'll most likely use it and it was 75% off.  It is getting comical how many things have broken recently.  It can stop now.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »
I've only had two lockdown-inspired purchases, a hammock and a bike. The bike was a doozy, though.

One simple step is removing all saved credit cards from online shopping sites. If you get any deals emails, unsubscribe from those.

Please reconsider the glitter in the future! And try to keep it from entering delicate ecosystems. https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/jan/21/losing-its-sparkle-the-dark-side-of-glitter

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »
You are doing great compared to us. We tricked out the backyard with a hammock, Adirondack chairs and a playhouse for the kiddo. This was about $1500.

Then the furnace broke. Turns out the furnace pumps the air conditioned air throughout the house. I didn't know that bit. So I got 3 quotes like a responsible adult then spent $5k and drank a bottle of wine. We've lived in the house 4 years but it's the first house we've ever owned so some homeowner BS still knocks us sideways from time to time.

We've spent a few hundred doing projects around the house as well. Even with all this apparently reckless spending our savings rate is better than it has been in years. We are probably going to reach our savings goal for the year by the end of the summer.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »
Hey, if it keeps you sane in lockdown, go for it. Buy more glitter and have fun.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »
I've only had two lockdown-inspired purchases, a hammock and a bike. The bike was a doozy, though.

One simple step is removing all saved credit cards from online shopping sites. If you get any deals emails, unsubscribe from those.

Please reconsider the glitter in the future! And try to keep it from entering delicate ecosystems. https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/jan/21/losing-its-sparkle-the-dark-side-of-glitter

It's bio degradable! Still not necessarily great for the environment, but also not as large a quantity as you'd imagine... Hence the expense... @Sun-Hat behold, "the caviar of glitter" (face palm)  https://www.getlemonhead.com/spacepaste

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »
I felt extra bad for the kids, as they had to spend their spring break stuck in a crappy house that we were clearing out (so we could sell it, it was an old mobile home that we fixed up a bit and used to live in). Not an enjoyable experience. Was going to take them out the next week to play some arcade games (cheaply) at a nearby pizza place, but then everything shut down. So, I hit up Amazon and bought a tent to camp out in the backyard, two movie screens (one inflatable and one not, I got a decent deal off Amazon Warehouse), and some candy/popcorn/smore's ingredients so we could have a few outdoor movie nights before it got too hot. I think it helped.

And recently I bought a movie popcorn maker, I'd say it's one size down from the kind that I used when I helped with concessions for school basketball games. Certainly not necessary, but maybe it'll eventually save money vs microwave popcorn? Test batch was awesome, even though it looked slightly burnt.

There have certainly been other expenditures, but I don't think they're exactly wasteful. Got everyone (but me, I already had one) a windows laptop, plus a spare. Wife has been taking uni courses online, and kids are going to be doing online learning again, so that was needed. Bought a 2018 Chevy Bolt, but we had been looking for a while and the price hit the right spot for us (public transport isn't that great here, one vehicle is an absolute necessity which we already had, and a second just comes in really handy at times; plus we have a teenager who's only a couple years from getting a license, not looking forward to that). Bought a garage ceiling shelf...forgot what they're called but you attach from the ceiling and it's a shelf you can store stuff on. Added an outlet for the new electric car, felt pretty accomplished even though it was pretty easy (it's just below the breaker box). Got some furniture we've been needing (had mattress on floor, wife finally found a good platform bed that is stable).

On the positive side, also got some Fidelity accounts setup, Roths maxed out for the current tax year, have wife's work retirement accounts on track to max out by end of year, cards paid off (carried a balance for many months after purchase of house), got a decent non-Roth emergency fund (we'd been relying on the Roth as an actual emergency fund, but not as a buffer, if that makes sense), etc. So, it hasn't been all bad financially speaking.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:52:30 PM by NumberJohnny5 »

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
Yep. We were supposed to be in Italy these last two weeks, so I am feeling sorry for myself. I bought a new camera, so I guess I will know how to use it by the time we can reschedule the trip. I bought one of my kids a skate board and another one a video game. I NEVER buy stuff like that. The kids usually spend their own money for stuff like that or wait for birthdays and Christmas. But with so much time on our hands, might as well have some new toys to play with.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 11:15:34 AM »
My big quarantine purchase was a Swedish wall gym for my kids. I'm pulling them out of daycare (again), so I'm hoping it will give them a way to get some exercise while I'm working. I rationalized it that it costs less than a single week of childcare expenses, but yeah.

Spending so much time at home has also made me want to start upgrading things in our home. So far all I've done is replace two sets of curtains and some cabinet knobs (all of which were probably from the 90s), but I've had to restrain myself to stop myself from buying new curtains and lighting fixtures for almost every room in the house.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »
Before we moved we were gifted a small trampoline just as the shutdown was starting. It was great for “recess” and the girls loved it. For several weeks.

By the time we were ready to move a few months later they were totally bored of the trampoline and not using it anymore.

Fast forward to today when we have no yard at all. The neighbor across from us has a great, big trampoline in their tiny backyard and when they are away they let our kids use it. Suddenly they LOVE jumping on the trampoline again. Hah!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 04:16:45 PM »
Your purchases may not be mustachian, but they do sound AWESOME. Can we be friends? I'm imagining you and your roommates roller-skating around in tie-dyed masks - but can you explain how you're going to use all that glitter? I'm staunchly pro-glitter, but  little glitter goes a long way, and $50 is a lot of glitter!

^ exactly my thought!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 06:17:53 PM »
San Diego Comic Con is this weekend. Instead of holding it in person, they moved it online. This is great! I've watched all the panels I wanted to, browsed the exhibit hall (painfully). And confirmed that I don't want to spend the time to go to SDCC in person, because they just don't have enough panels I'm interested in.

and I bought 13 t-shirts.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 12:38:25 AM »
I've been buying multicoloured running shorts and leggings for when road runs and races start up again. By the time that happens the fashion will have gone back to "any colour as long as it's black". Started off with a few preloved ones that co-ordinated with my running club vest but bought a couple of skorts in clashing colours straight off the peg last week. Skorts! I must be off my rocker.

I think it's partly about looking cheerful in despondent times. And I'm supporting a couple of small businesses. And each garment costs less than a race entry or a meal out would cost. And whenever I go out for a run having unusual kit is a conversation starter. And they're comfortable and have good pockets.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 02:56:10 PM »
I now have a Kayak, I got it before it got really warm (early June) so I wasn’t running around looking for it they are hard to find now.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 11:05:00 AM »
Heh, July has been rough here too. At least your purchases look more fun than what over half of our discretionary spending has been on this month.

$150 eating out (usually fast food)
$30 for alcohol
$30 for a board game
$50 for hockey memorabilia

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 12:01:09 PM »
I now have a Kayak, I got it before it got really warm (early June) so I wasn’t running around looking for it they are hard to find now.

Bought a kayak today. Got a good price. I think the clerk may have given me the employee or a student discount?

Now we have enough kayak seats for all four of us. And canoe to use if anyone joins us for a float down the river.

The rest of our boats are very used - 1970s canoe and 1970s two person kayak. One used recent plastic kayak.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »
I bought fishing gear early on this summer, seemed like a nice outdoor activity that could be done at a distance. Managed to catch a few catfish so far, but hoping to catch more as I learn more and get out more often. Also upgraded my partner's golf clubs (but still bought used and nothing fancy) for his birthday, we've been golfing a lot so we'll get our money's worth.
I bought some new clothes on sale, they were great deals and support a local designer, so I feel good about that.
And bought some new bras, they were sorely needed and these are high quality and come recommended by a friend. Expensive, but worth it.
So that's felt somewhat extravagant, but worthwhile. All told it was about $600. I'm the type of person who agonizes over purchases and thinks a lot about whether I really need the item or really need to spend that much. So it was consuma-sucka in that I didn't go absolute cheapest option, but I think it was all good value and with so many small businesses going under these days, it feels important to support them.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »
A new pair of boxing gloves (old ones have finally given up the ghost), hand wraps, a used teardrop bag, a new (empty) thai bag, about a 140 lbs of rags, a new swivel, and a spring.  Probably in for about 800$ total.  Mental benefits of hitting something on a regular basis for the last couple months has been worth it though.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 04:07:18 PM »
A new pair of boxing gloves (old ones have finally given up the ghost), hand wraps, a used teardrop bag, a new (empty) thai bag, about a 140 lbs of rags, a new swivel, and a spring.  Probably in for about 800$ total.  Mental benefits of hitting something on a regular basis for the last couple months has been worth it though.

Staying away from "Off Topic" would do wonders for your mental health.

I should take my own advice.  ;-)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 09:36:26 AM »
This forum is a place to vent for some of us b/c IRL the people around us are nuts!

Definitely feels better to unload (report) the daily garbage.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 04:25:51 PM »
I've been binge-buying needlework supplies. In the evenings the Venomous Spaz Beast and I enjoy a bitch-and-stitch session.

What I ought to be doing is finishing the quilt I'm making for friends of mine who are getting married. Instead? Tribal cross stitch.

I'd say "don't judge me" but that isn't the point of this forum.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 06:49:46 AM »
I've been binge-buying needlework supplies. In the evenings the Venomous Spaz Beast and I enjoy a bitch-and-stitch session.

What I ought to be doing is finishing the quilt I'm making for friends of mine who are getting married. Instead? Tribal cross stitch.

Cross stitch saves lives. Sometimes you need to stab something 1000 times, and isn't it for the best that it isn't a person?

Tattoo artists everywhere are offended by this comment.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »
Well, it happened. I now have a lockdown spending spree: redecorating. I've gotten a lot of stuff for free, and everything I've bought has been secondhand, but even $6 pillows add up!

My justification: investment in mental health. It's been easy to get outside to garden, exercise, and see people from a distance. Winter is going to be brutal. I better like where I live if I'm gonna be there all day! I moved in with the bf at the start of this, and the changes are making the house feel more like mine.

It's also keeping me engaged in creative problem-solving right now. There are only so many walks you can take.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:20 AM »
My big quarantine purchase was a Swedish wall gym for my kids.
I looked this up and now I want a Swedish wall gym!

I just bought a tent. Haven't been camping in at least 15 years, but you know. Pandemic.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »
Well, it happened. I now have a lockdown spending spree: redecorating. I've gotten a lot of stuff for free, and everything I've bought has been secondhand, but even $6 pillows add up!

My justification: investment in mental health. It's been easy to get outside to garden, exercise, and see people from a distance. Winter is going to be brutal. I better like where I live if I'm gonna be there all day! I moved in with the bf at the start of this, and the changes are making the house feel more like mine.

It's also keeping me engaged in creative problem-solving right now. There are only so many walks you can take.

Nice! I'm in the process of packing for a move. One of the first things I always do after a move is put all the art up on the walls. Maybe, through the winter, you could invest in a couple of pieces each month to keeps things lively?

My collection finally got too big to justify any more (for now) but all of it was definitely worth it. Whenever the art comes down, I can feel the sense of "home" going away. I recommend finding some artists (on Instagram?) you can really get into, and consider getting some prints from them to frame. It really ups the cozy. Some of my favorite contemporary artists are Felicia Chiao, Agnes Cecile, and Dannika Sullivan. Just in case you are interested in a place to start :D

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »

Nice! I'm in the process of packing for a move. One of the first things I always do after a move is put all the art up on the walls. Maybe, through the winter, you could invest in a couple of pieces each month to keeps things lively?

My collection finally got too big to justify any more (for now) but all of it was definitely worth it. Whenever the art comes down, I can feel the sense of "home" going away. I recommend finding some artists (on Instagram?) you can really get into, and consider getting some prints from them to frame. It really ups the cozy. Some of my favorite contemporary artists are Felicia Chiao, Agnes Cecile, and Dannika Sullivan. Just in case you are interested in a place to start :D

Thanks for the artist recs! We're actually good on art, but I love a good internet art rabbit hole. I have so many art-follow accounts floating around from back in the day, when I was obsessed with street photography, and moody paintings of chicks in the ocean, and photos of morose robots mowing a lawn, and dogs chasing balls underwater, and nude sketches, and and and.

We're going with:

* Mirrors and string lights on the ceiling to brighten up dark rooms
* Upgrading frames on stuff we already have - prints, paintings, photography, cards, bathroom post-its
* Framing some of our own photography and sketches
* Painting over a free canvas that came with a cool frame
* Gathering art from talented friends and family members < I'm lucky to have quite a few artists in my family! There's botanical drawings, underwater photography, textiles, engineering blueprints, travel photography...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 04:49:42 PM »

Thanks for the artist recs! We're actually good on art, but I love a good internet art rabbit hole. I have so many art-follow accounts floating around from back in the day, when I was obsessed with street photography, and moody paintings of chicks in the ocean, and photos of morose robots mowing a lawn, and dogs chasing balls underwater, and nude sketches, and and and.

We're going with:

* Upgrading frames on stuff we already have - prints, paintings, photography, cards, bathroom post-its
* Gathering art from talented friends and family members < I'm lucky to have quite a few artists in my family! There's botanical drawings, underwater photography, textiles, engineering blueprints, travel photography...

Another way to brighten a room is to choose a light ceiling paint that is not a pure white. I know flat white is trendy again but it makes the walls look dark and the matte finish will not tend to reflect light. Eggshell, with just a hint of gloss, reflects more light and allows you to make use of off-whites with a hint of blue, yellow, or whatever else will harmonize with your walls and decor. Also consider, if you're painting, the fact that everything looks a full shade darker when it's on the wall. This can be compensated for, especially in a small room, by increasing the amount of lighting and by using a more reflective paint such as a semi-gloss.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 05:06:32 PM »

I've been so tempted by cross stitch patterns I've seen. I haven't stitched in decades.  I should also finish this quilt I started.

Instead, I bought a shawl crochet pattern that my sister admired, and then went ahead and bought 6 different colors of yarn for it...because, you know, she should pick.  Even if I never finish it. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »

We're going with:

Another way to brighten a room is to choose a light ceiling paint that is not a pure white. I know flat white is trendy again but it makes the walls look dark and the matte finish will not tend to reflect light. Eggshell, with just a hint of gloss, reflects more light and allows you to make use of off-whites with a hint of blue, yellow, or whatever else will harmonize with your walls and decor. Also consider, if you're painting, the fact that everything looks a full shade darker when it's on the wall. This can be compensated for, especially in a small room, by increasing the amount of lighting and by using a more reflective paint such as a semi-gloss.

I use the fact that it looks darker once painted. It makes starting painting extremely nerve wracking though, because until it dries I usually feel like it's the wrong color. I end up calling my mom halfway through painting a room and asking her to reassure me because I hate it!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 03:41:24 PM »
Um, I'm not sure this is exactly the idea of this thread, and this is a little embarrassing, but ... I started learning to do olympic lifting. I basically emailed a trainer (who'd been recommended to me for this) and asked if she'd teach me to do Olympic lifts.  (My motivation was a couple of things working together to remind me that, should I be lucky enough to live as long as my mom, I'll really, really appreciate being STRONG as I approach 80. And flexibility and mobility would also be awesome. And power!) Our gyms are open, with social distancing and masks, and I can go in the early- or mid-morning when the place is pretty empty. Or entirely empty.

Her per-hour cost is about what I earn after-taxes per hour (I'm a consultant, so I don't work full-time, but my rate's pretty high, so although this is freakin' expensive, I can afford it). First I met with her once/week, now we're down to about once every two weeks or less. I also pay her to write me a training program (for the time being). I've spent weeks working on strength, flexibility, mobility, and explosive power, (and I didn't suck at those things before, being a good "do exercise at home" mustachian).

I'm having a blast. Also, it felt so awesomely good to be able to make a positive move in the middle of ... all this. Plus, everyone else in my household (and a couple of neighbors) has pulled themselves out of the rut we were all in, so apparently modeling positive behavior is having nice ripples everywhere.

@TartanTallulah , I heartily endorse pretty running things, as long as you wear them! Don't save them for a future day, go out and have a great run in them!

Also, for all the kayak people, what a great idea! I wish I lived someplace with a few more watersports options...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2020, 06:23:19 AM »
Gearing up for pandemic winter, DH and I just bought snowshoes.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »
In a fit of pandemic angst and ennui, I installed underglow on the family minivan. The message is clear: I will not shuffle meekly towards middle age, a steadily expanding waistline, and a life of shuttling  kids from activity to activity.

This is a dirt cheap kit from amazon I highly recommend.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »
In a fit of pandemic angst and ennui, I installed underglow on the family minivan. The message is clear: I will not shuffle meekly towards middle age, a steadily expanding waistline, and a life of shuttling  kids from activity to activity.

That's hilarious!

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2020, 01:55:38 PM »
Let's see, where to start...we were supposed to leave for a 4 month travel sabbatical in October, so as a booby prize I bought 4 different 1000 piece puzzles of the places we were going, plus a folding storage thingie to build the puzzle on. Small house means minimal furniture and it would be hard to lose the dining table for days at a time.

DH got some guitar instruction videos, and electronic tuner, and new strings. Just today we set up my new toy, a large lacrosse rebounder, since we don't have any suitable walls to throw against, and DH does not know how to play. Got a new head for my 30 year old stick, and a bunch of new balls. The stick also comes in handy for pegging the free range cattle with a rock when they get too close to the house!

We've been ordering some groceries from costco online since we are over an hour away from one and have no desire to leave the hills for the city. The prices are higher by a dollar or two on each item but oh well.

Now there's a camper van listed on the neighborhood buy/sell/trade site that's caught my eye...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2020, 03:06:43 PM »
I got sucked into a body-typing wormhole, realised *why* half my clothes didn't work on me and spent $1200 on on internet shopping. I now have a clothing moratorium for the rest of quarantine (at least).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2020, 05:04:00 PM »
I got sucked into a body-typing wormhole, realised *why* half my clothes didn't work on me and spent $1200 on on internet shopping. I now have a clothing moratorium for the rest of quarantine (at least).

I can sympathize. I got a free personal color analysis several years ago while I was recovering from career burnout and then spent waaaaaay too much money on clothes and makeup.

(“Free” was because I was part of a new color analyst’s training. I still had to drive over to Canada and pay Ambassador Bridge fare, plus I had to explain to both the US and Canadian customs officers what I was doing in Chatham, Ontario for an afternoon. That part, at least, was hilarious.)

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2020, 05:25:49 PM »
I went out today and bought an ultralight canoe. I've had the same kayak for close to 20 years and I'm not getting younger so I wanted something that I could portage on my own. It cost my stimulus check and a bit more. I can justify it because I'm on target for retirement but I'm just making excuses.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
Just today we set up my new toy ... since we don't have any suitable walls to throw against, and DH does not know how to play. Got a new head for my 30 year old stick, and a bunch of new balls. The stick also comes in handy for pegging ...!

Sorry, couldn't help myself on this quote.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »
Great, now I want a body type analysis and an ultralight canoe! You people have good ideas!
Well the nice thing about body analysis is there is a whole lot of free stuff on the internet if you want to put in some time. Of then you run the risk of buying clothes...

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »
I started by deciding to redecorate DD19's room that was cobbled together with various cast-off furniture. $400 and many hours on FB Marketplace later, I was almost done when she decided more or less out of the blue to move out. Thankfully almost everything can go with her - just a couple of different pieces to shop for now.

I felt guilty looking at DS17's room so am also working on that right nkw.

That sent me off on a redecorating frenzy. New shelves for the living room and dining room, remove a cabinet from dining room, new bookshelves for basement office, and maybe new furniture for my mom's room too. By the time I am done, only my bedroom will be left with cast-off furniture lol.

I am hoping to keep this under $1k with a mix of free and used furniture. 

Somehow we muddled along for the past few years until the pandemic hit and my DD19 mentioned she needed to replace her worn out comforter. Wild spending snowball lol.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2020, 05:01:56 PM »
Just today we set up my new toy ... since we don't have any suitable walls to throw against, and DH does not know how to play. Got a new head for my 30 year old stick, and a bunch of new balls. The stick also comes in handy for pegging ...!

Sorry, couldn't help myself on this quote.
Well, I am usually aiming at their ass, so sure, go ahead and run with that image if you're into cow porn, I guess. ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

UpNAtom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 08:10:20 AM »
Bought a bunch of tools and soldering supplies - plus some used items to fix up or resolder (had to justify the expense somehow... but somehow now have 3x Nintendo and a Gameboy to fix).

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »

Just curious, do the police around you not care about that? It's a recipe for a ticket here...  I was in high school when the first Fast and Furious came out, and many a ticket* was written up after those movies came out.

*Actually the cops were generally cool about it with warnings, and only ticketed persistent infringers. I actually researched the state codes, and the only additional exterior lighting that would be legal would be white, red,  or amber.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »

Just curious, do the police around you not care about that? It's a recipe for a ticket here...  I was in high school when the first Fast and Furious came out, and many a ticket* was written up after those movies came out.

*Actually the cops were generally cool about it with warnings, and only ticketed persistent infringers. I actually researched the state codes, and the only additional exterior lighting that would be legal would be white, red,  or amber.

Yeah, illegal in my state too. But I say Lex iniusta non est lex.

With the caveat that it's only been a few months of very limited driving, no problems so far. Earlier this week I was following in our other car behind the van on a highway trip. It's somewhat subtle from a distance, so maybe that helps. I have to think cops have something better to do than pick fights over underglow, but maybe I'm just being naive.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 11:09:33 AM »
I've been pretty good about avoiding excess spending during the pandemic (booze excluded) but just broke down and bought a fancy new camera. A good sale coincided with day 6 of being under apartment arrest due to abysmal air quality here in Seattle and, well, one thing led to another. Beware the double lockdown blues.

It's not completely terrible since I've had my eye on this camera for a while and after selling what it'll replace it's a $300-400 upgrade, but it was undoubtedly a frustration driven act of self medication.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 01:35:57 PM »
We have somewhat made up for the interior decorating spending binge by selling stuff found in the basement. Made almost $300 so far.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 02:01:53 PM »
We have somewhat made up for the interior decorating spending binge by selling stuff found in the basement. Made almost $300 so far.

I am also starting to make up for my goofy spending by selling off the nicer pieces of my work wardrobe online :D not like any of it is going to fit me whenever I have to go back to an office, anyway! LOL

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 09:12:56 AM »
I shamed myself after ordering 3 1lb bags of coffee from a local roaster about 2-3 months back. $15 per bag. I felt it was ridiculous.

But then when I received them, they had been roasted only 2 days prior. Ground a handful of beans from each and made 3 coffees. Oh. so. good. Wife. approved.

Yesterday received my new batch. This morning, very happy wife and me. Fresh grind.

On the other hand, I sold quite a few old electronics and car parts on Craigslist. That will go towards more coffee since I barely drink beer anymore and zero hard spirits.

Now i need to get rid of the hard liquor, including Peruvian pisco I bought in Ica, Peru from the distiller. Or can make a big batch of Pisco sours.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2020, 09:53:08 AM »
I'd been doing well, but the past month has been a flurry of art supplies. 

My depression is not well controlled right now.  I don't drink, I don't do drugs. I'm still well within my means.  I return a lot of what I buy on the spur of the moment.  But I'm well aware I am only buying because of endorphins and a hope it will make me happy

But really, what I need is an appt with my psychiatrist and not amazon; but well, they aren't doing in person appts and I don't want to do online. So amazon it is.