Author Topic: Shabazz Napier: NCAA players going to bed "starving"  (Read 29267 times)

ch12

• Pencil Stache
Shabazz Napier: NCAA players going to bed "starving"
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/07/us/ncaa-basketball-finals-shabazz-napier-hungry/index.html

"I don't feel student-athletes should get hundreds of thousands of dollars, but like I said, there are hungry nights that I go to bed and I'm starving," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/07/shabazz-napier-hungry-uconn-basketball_n_5106132.html
In an email to The Huffington Post, a University of Connecticut spokesman said all of the school's scholarship athletes, including Napier, receive the maximum meal plan allowed under NCAA rules.

"UConn does not have a cafeteria devoted specifically to student-athletes," he added, "but they have access to the same cafeterias which are available to all our students."

I didn't know where to put this...maybe Off Topic. It may not belong in the Antimustachian wall. There are angry comments on some of the articles about Shabazz that say that it's money mismanagement if you go hungry. Other people are saying that it's due to the cafeteria hours.

I personally think that it's tied to how athletes need to have a caloric intake much higher than someone who has a desk job - or even the average college student. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/07/24/157317262/how-many-calories-do-olympic-athletes-need-it-depends

It makes me sick to think of these guys, powerhouses generating lots of money for their schools, going hungry.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Shabazz Napier: NCAA players going to bed "starving"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
It makes me sick to think of these guys, powerhouses generating lots of money for their schools, going hungry.

They don't, though http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx. And "student athletes" at that level are typically more athlete than student. The fact that they want to be treated more like employees I think underscores that. As do articles (and there have been several in recent months) like this one: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/unc-tutor-reveals-10-sentence-term-paper-earned-football-player-a-phony-class-article-1.1737861

I am of the belief that athletes and students alike would benefit from decoupling academics from sports because the two aren't really related. It's not the most well-supported belief (so don't jump on me for it!) except that they do that in many other countries and it works just fine, or better. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/the-case-against-high-school-sports/309447/

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
I actually don't think this is a joke. 

I went to school many years ago on an athletic scholarship and did not get enough to eat.  The cafeteria was open until 8pm (5-7pm for everyone and 7-8pm for athletes only because many teams practiced until 7 or 7:30.)  We'd practice til 7:30, run (and i mean run) in our sweats to get to the last place open at 7:45, only to find that half the time they had put the hot food away and only the salad bar and captain crunch was still out.  Seriously this happened night after night.  One night one of my teammates blew an absolute gasket at the cafeteria ladies.  I mean five alarm call the police fit because there are going to be some bodies piled up if there isn't food brought out tonight and every night after this dammit you KNOW were are coming at 7:45.  There were no alternative eateries for us on campus: just that cafeteria, and most of us did not have one dime of our own to buy a pretzel from the snack machine.  I found $8 on the street one day about half way through my freshman year and it took me 2 weeks to decide how to spend it.  That's how little spending money I had, and we were missing meals.  What I am saying is that this is possibly very real and not a new problem.

Then my little brother went to college in another state on an athletic scholarship (Big state school.)  Did he get enough to eat the first week?  NO!  He was a gigantic 18 year old burning thousands of calories extra per day.  He needed to eat more than three times a day and he was missing at least one meal every day due to his practice schedule.  He called me pretty upset.  He needed substantial snacks and had no snacks.  I told him to take food from the cafeteria, but he was worried that was stealing and said they had a lady who watched them to make sure no one took food out (we had a similar door guard.)  GODDAMMIT it pissed me OFF!  At that point I was a 5th year senior and had a part time job to earn some money, so I borrowed a car and drove a few hours to the his state to take him to the grocery store for as much food as I could afford that he could store in his teeny dorm room (which was a double they had converted into a triple, greedy fuckers.)  Then I gave him my last $40 to buy the next batch of groceries.  And what did he do for laundry money, you ask?  He put out his open guitar case and played until he had enough coins.  After 4 years of playing division one sports - with the "take a light load" advising that goes along with it - he did not have enough credits for a degree.  And that, my friend, is known as a "free ride."

I really hope it is still not this bad, but nothing would surprise me.

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:59:11 PM »

No one said it was a joke. If you are referring to the title, I used the quotes for emphasis.

Your story is really intense. I hope that UConn is better than that, but frankly we don't know. I will say that one of the comments pointed out that some of UConn's dining halls are open until 10 PM. http://www.dining.uconn.edu/resident_dining_hours.html I hope that practice doesn't run that late every night. I also went to a school that had a late night place that was open until 2 AM, so I hope that our athletes did actually eat.

I also don't know what "door guards" are (as in, I've never had them), and that's a significant difference. I'm sure that our athletes ate snacks, because I saw them in the school convenience store (paid with meal plan dollars) all the time. I guess it really depends on how the school distributes food to its students.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
Sometimes, AMW (Anti-Mustachian Wall...) threads are sad, not funny.

Shame on administrators (athletic and dining hall) for not working with the student athletes to make sure they can eat.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »
You would think that coaches are up on this situation.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »
I went to school many years ago on an athletic scholarship and did not get enough to eat.  The cafeteria was open until 8pm (5-7pm for everyone and 7-8pm for athletes only because many teams practiced until 7 or 7:30.)  We'd practice til 7:30, run (and i mean run) in our sweats to get to the last place open at 7:45, only to find that half the time they had put the hot food away and only the salad bar and captain crunch was still out.  Seriously this happened night after night.  One night one of my teammates blew an absolute gasket at the cafeteria ladies.  I mean five alarm call the police fit because there are going to be some bodies piled up if there isn't food brought out tonight and every night after this dammit you KNOW were are coming at 7:45.

Why have a fit at the poor cafeteria ladies?  Why not just leave your practice earlier, so you can get to the cafeteria on time?

As to the rest, you apparently got the chance of a free (or low cost) education in return for doing the same sorts of physical training that the rest of us had to do on our own, often paying gym fees &c (and having to take second place to any 'athlete' who wanted to use the facilities, and while taking real courses and holding down jobs.  Sorry if my sympathy is a bit limited. 

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »
I agree the compensation isn't enough for room and board. My daughter has played D1 volleyball for the last two years. She works in the summer to cover the shortfall for during the school year when she can't work. What I couldn't believe is that her scholarship wasn't enough to pay for her to stay in the dorms. The dorms require a meal plan and would leave her with a sizable shortfall each semester.  She chose to live off campus and cook her own meals. We aren't complaining because her scholarship is very valuable, and we can afford to help her. But I could see it being hard for some kids coming from harder circumstances.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15:50 PM »

Why have a fit at the poor cafeteria ladies?  Why not just leave your practice earlier, so you can get to the cafeteria on time?
Players don't leave practice until the coach says. A player can't walk out early to go eat, and coaches are often given certain times to use facilities.

As to the rest, you apparently got the chance of a free (or low cost) education in return for doing the same sorts of physical training that the rest of us had to do on our own, often paying gym fees &c (and having to take second place to any 'athlete' who wanted to use the facilities, and while taking real courses and holding down jobs.  Sorry if my sympathy is a bit limited.

I'm sure it wouldn't convince you, but being a student athlete is much more challenging than that. My daughter often missed classes three days a week to travel for games. She still had to study for tests and try to get good grades without half as much lecture and lab time.  My daughter has shoulder issues, knee issues and problems with her Achilles.  Hardly usual aches and pains most 20 year olds would have due to Zumba and yoga classes.  Like it or hate it, but student athletes work a lot harder than you'll give them credit for.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »
Holy moly did you ever even play a sport?  There is no "leaving practice early."  Are you out of your mind?  If your family has no money and you are there on an athletic scholarship, then the coach has absolute power over you.  They can yell at you nonstop, decide practice is at 4:20 am, make you run up and down stairs carrying a 50 pound bag of dog food until you vomit.  But yeah, just announce that you're ducking out of practice before they say it's over.  That will fly.

But I didn't take real classes, because I was an athlete, and we all know that athletes don't have to take real classes.  So I just majored in chemistry.  Easy peasy.  And if you don't think playing div1 college sports is holding down a job, then guess again.

By the way, after my first year I couldn't take being hungry anymore so I ALSO worked a second job both in season (although I could only manage 4 hours per week because Sunday was the only day I had any time at all) and out of season (20 hours per week) and in the summers (full time) so that I could have little luxuries like laundry soap and tooth paste.  At first I worked at a fast food place on Sunday mornings for $4 per hour.  Yeah, that's right, $16 per week ($20 if I clocked in early or out late).  Of course the bus was 75 cents each way, so that was $1.50 out of my earnings just getting to work.  Oh, and I had to buy the official fast food uniform shirt which was $15, so goodbye first week of pay. After that, though, whoo-hoo, then I could do laundry and perhaps even buy a pair of new socks and a pot to boil my noodles in.

But you are right:  all athletes are spoiled and pampered.  That's the bottom line.

I was lucky:  the worst that ever happened to me playing sports was a ruptured achilles and some chronic shoulder problems.  But I have friends who had to have their hips or hands pinned back together due to injury.  It makes a torn up knee or ankle look like nothing.  One guy can barely walk now because of his hip and has all kinds of problems with leg clots.  Another guy can't feel his right foot anymore and has been told he needs to have discs removed and 4 lower vertebrae fused if it gets any worse.  At least the knocked out teeth were easy to fix.  And we are in our early 40's!  Yay, school spirit!  We had it so easy with all that premium access to the weight room.  Glory days. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:31:59 PM by Zamboni »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:17 AM »
Derp.

This story is silly.  Buy a couple 15 lbs bags of oatmeal and throw some boiling water on it in a bowl if you're hungry.  Oatmeal costs just about nothing, is stupidly easy to make, and can be made with things that are usually allowed in residence (microwave, hot plate, coffee maker - just don't put grounds in it, etc.)

Yes you eat a lot more when you're physically active.  Yes, university and college kids are often broke.  No, the athletes are not starving themselves each night in their rooms.  Unless they're stupid with money.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 07:04:34 AM »
ESPN has a good 30 for 30 on student athletes, highly recommend, is on netflix I think.

I have trouble coming up with a reason why SA, at least in revenue generating sports, should not get a modest weekly stipend.  The number of hours they give to the university to then have trouble getting dinner is just a bad situation.  Am a bit surprised the coaches were not more accommodating with practice hours, but that might just be when the weight room was available.

Was not a student athlete.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »

No one said it was a joke. If you are referring to the title, I used the quotes for emphasis.

Yeah, that's not how you use them.

Quotation marks like that mean sarcasm, not emphasis.

It's an amusing irony that people intending to use them to emphasize that part/feature instead do the opposite and imply that it's not that thing.

Example: There is a series of apartments near my house that have a big banner saying (paraphrasing):
Newly remodeled "grand" rooms.

Sure makes those rooms not seem very grand, or those students not very starving.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »
Derp.

This story is silly.  Buy a couple 15 lbs bags of oatmeal and throw some boiling water on it in a bowl if you're hungry.  Oatmeal costs just about nothing, is stupidly easy to make, and can be made with things that are usually allowed in residence (microwave, hot plate, coffee maker - just don't put grounds in it, etc.)

Yes you eat a lot more when you're physically active.  Yes, university and college kids are often broke.  No, the athletes are not starving themselves each night in their rooms.  Unless they're stupid with money.
Yes you eat a lot more when you're physically active.  Yes you will be hungry a couple hours later after the glucose spike wears off.

They need (in my minimally processed paleo oriented opinion, {IMMPPOO? catchy}) access to balanced meals with plenty of satiating natural fats and proteins in addition to a crap ton of vegetables and some fruits.  Their bodies are not only burning more fuel than the average person, in many cases they are building muscle and changing their body's chemistry (in addition to soaking up everything mentally from their studies and being coached).

I'd save the oatmeal for the frugal person trying to make a cheap meal and not for the athlete whose bodily demands are a bit different.

I'm sure many college athletes are stupid with money.  I certainly was at that age, at least more so than I am now.  It would still cost a non-zero amount of money to buy the 15 lb bag of oatmeal, no?  Where is this money coming from, even if it is less per unit of weight compared to other options?  I think the solution is more access to university food, not an expectation that student athletes will be optimal with whatever personal money they have with regard to food.

The word 'starving' certainly is a strong one, especially when used to paint broadly a sizable sub-population in a wealthy country where most would have a different definition of the word compared to those in less fortunate areas of the globe.  Still, I feel for the athletes on some level. 

I was not an athlete in college but in high school I remember being naturally irritable most afternoons and especially by the time I got home after tennis or soccer practice at 6 and all I had at lunch was 8 ounces of milk, a few spoonfuls of corn, an apple, and rectangle of sub-standard pizza.  I was 6'5" and 180 pounds my senior year.  I simply needed more food compared to most others.  Was I normal?  Of course not, but neither are most athletes in college.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:51 AM »

Yeah, that's not how you use them.

It's an amusing irony that people intending to use them to emphasize that part/feature instead do the opposite and imply that it's not that thing.

Example: There is a series of apartments near my house that have a big banner saying (paraphrasing):
Newly remodeled "grand" rooms.

Sure makes those rooms not seem very grand, or those students not very starving.
"Great" explanation. ;)

Enter Chris Farley and his air quotes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_cAS-mvV20

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
"Great" explanation. ;)

Enter Chris Farley and his air quotes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_cAS-mvV20

Nice one!  I always think of Friends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIIm7yBdUG4
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 07:54:49 AM »

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 07:57:43 AM »
I went to school many years ago on an athletic scholarship and did not get enough to eat.  The cafeteria was open until 8pm (5-7pm for everyone and 7-8pm for athletes only because many teams practiced until 7 or 7:30.)  We'd practice til 7:30, run (and i mean run) in our sweats to get to the last place open at 7:45, only to find that half the time they had put the hot food away and only the salad bar and captain crunch was still out.  Seriously this happened night after night.  One night one of my teammates blew an absolute gasket at the cafeteria ladies.  I mean five alarm call the police fit because there are going to be some bodies piled up if there isn't food brought out tonight and every night after this dammit you KNOW were are coming at 7:45.

Umm, you can't "just leave" practice earlier. Was that a serious suggestion? You would lose your scholarship in a heartbeat. And I assure you, they aren't doing the same sort of physical training you do on your own and pay gym fees for. When you're a student athlete, at least at D1 schools, you have a job. Playing sports is your job. You don't have time to do anything else. And trust me, playing sports is harder than any 3 jobs + class you would have been doing.  And the NCAA is making vast sums of money while you are starving. Why are you surprised people are pissed off?

Oh yeah, and despite popular delusions, athletes take real classes. The same classes everybody else takes. Sure, things like the UNC scandal happen every once in a while but they are extreme outliers. When I was in school one of my athlete friends (who competed in 2 Olympics, btw) majored in Aerospace Engineering, which is probably the hardest major in existence. One of them went into the Marine Corp after graduation, said it was a cakewalk compared to school. Trust me, you don't know what hard work is compared to those people.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:04:34 AM by kyleaaa »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »

Picture didn't work for me, but lead me to this link.

http://www.lifebuzz.com/quotations/

I laughed out loud a couple of times.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:02:39 AM by arebelspy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 08:16:03 AM »
Well if you spin something a certain way to get the answer you want, no, probably people won't pick that option.

Also kudos to serpents for using quotes right with "job."  ;)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 08:27:04 AM »
Overall the collegiate athletics system is all messed up.  I believe we should try to model the Canadian or Euro model and just have more development leagues where players are paid.  I doubt this will ever happen as there is so much money tied to the NCAA and universities.  Or work out a way where the teams are affiliated with a university, but being a player doesn't mean they are also a student.

Transitioning to any sort of paid collegiate athlete opens a floodgate of potential what if scenarios.  Which, I believe, would lead to the end of most non-revenue sports at the collegiate level.  Would this be a bad thing?  I guess that depends on how you feel about athletics role at a university.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:26 AM »
Yes you eat a lot more when you're physically active.  Yes you will be hungry a couple hours later after the glucose spike wears off.

They need (in my minimally processed paleo oriented opinion, {IMMPPOO? catchy}) access to balanced meals with plenty of satiating natural fats and proteins in addition to a crap ton of vegetables and some fruits.

It does complicate things if you insist on following fad diets.  Athletes need more food if they're hungry.  They need food that's cheap, quick, and easy to prepare.  Oats are a healthy source of carbs with a moderate amount of both protein and fat.  They're cheap, quick, and easy to prepare.  I can get 5kg of oats for 8$.  That's 30350 calories for 8$ . . . or 40 calories per cent.

Their bodies are not only burning more fuel than the average person, in many cases they are building muscle and changing their body's chemistry (in addition to soaking up everything mentally from their studies and being coached).

I'd save the oatmeal for the frugal person trying to make a cheap meal and not for the athlete whose bodily demands are a bit different.

I have competed in wrestling, judo, and jiu-jitsu tournaments for most of my life.  I am fully aware of what hard training does to your body.  Your body demands more carbs (which act as fuel basically) under hard training, slightly more protein if what you're doing is endurance based, and lots more protein if what you're doing is strength based.

But none of that changes the fact, we're talking about university students.  They can eat all they want when the cafeteria is open the next day.  They're just hungry now and again when practice runs late and need something to snack on.  Which is why they should keep some quick, cheap food around.

I'm sure many college athletes are stupid with money.  I certainly was at that age, at least more so than I am now.  It would still cost a non-zero amount of money to buy the 15 lb bag of oatmeal, no?  Where is this money coming from, even if it is less per unit of weight compared to other options?  I think the solution is more access to university food, not an expectation that student athletes will be optimal with whatever personal money they have with regard to food.

Actually, I can't argue here.  It would be optimal if they had access to the cafeterias.  But they don't.  And presumably they want to continue on in their athletic endeavors at their school.  I was a broke university student at one point.  I had to pay for school, room, and board from what I earned from my summer jobs and savings.  If you can't swing 8$ for food once or twice a month, you need to quit what you're doing.  Because you're not going to have money for soap, toothpaste, clothing, etc.

The word 'starving' certainly is a strong one, especially when used to paint broadly a sizable sub-population in a wealthy country where most would have a different definition of the word compared to those in less fortunate areas of the globe.  Still, I feel for the athletes on some level.

The people involved in athletics have made their choice.  They know the benefits and they know the costs.  I don't consider going to bed hungry and then eating a huge breakfast the next morning to be a particularly unbearable hardship.  It kinda sucks, but that's about it.

I was not an athlete in college but in high school I remember being naturally irritable most afternoons and especially by the time I got home after tennis or soccer practice at 6 and all I had at lunch was 8 ounces of milk, a few spoonfuls of corn, an apple, and rectangle of sub-standard pizza.  I was 6'5" and 180 pounds my senior year.  I simply needed more food compared to most others.  Was I normal?  Of course not, but neither are most athletes in college.
[/quote]

I'm 6'0.  I have cut weight to compete at 170lbs, and gained weight (with a lot of weight room work) to compete at about 200.  It sucks when you can't eat.  It rocks when you can.  It's all part of what you accept to be competitive in your sport though.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 08:51:15 AM »
Overall the collegiate athletics system is all messed up.  I believe we should try to model the Canadian or Euro model and just have more development leagues where players are paid.  I doubt this will ever happen as there is so much money tied to the NCAA and universities.  Or work out a way where the teams are affiliated with a university, but being a player doesn't mean they are also a student.

Transitioning to any sort of paid collegiate athlete opens a floodgate of potential what if scenarios.  Which, I believe, would lead to the end of most non-revenue sports at the collegiate level.  Would this be a bad thing?  I guess that depends on how you feel about athletics role at a university.

I doubt non-revenue sports would go away altogether. My husband does musical theater for a living, but it was a hobby of his all through college. The school treated it as a "club" and like every club, the students had to bid for dollars from the pool of money student activity fee money, and make up any shortfall by themselves. It worked out pretty well. The Musical Theater Club mounted 2 big shows a year, along with a handful of revues. Some of the students were music majors, but a lot were hobbyists or students who had done this is high school. Despite no explicit college support, a number of students have gone on the make careers in the field. My school also have Division III sports, but there were self-funded sports, including a rugby team.

Good point.  I agree that club teams would still exist.  By non-revenue sports I meant teams that are run by the universities athletic program.  I suppose it could be possible that many of the sports would just switch to club if they were dropped by the universities athletic program.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »
Players don't leave practice until the coach says. A player can't walk out early to go eat, and coaches are often given certain times to use facilities.

If you're starving, you do.  Maybe you get all your teammates to go with you, and your coach learns an important lesson about his ego.  (Are there any college/professional coaches who aren't egotistical assholes?)

And I assure you, they aren't doing the same sort of physical training you do on your own and pay gym fees for. When you're a student athlete, at least at D1 schools, you have a job. Playing sports is your job. You don't have time to do anything else. And trust me, playing sports is harder than any 3 jobs + class you would have been doing.  And the NCAA is making vast sums of money while you are starving. Why are you surprised people are pissed off?

Perhaps I am a wee bit biased by having done a hitch in the Marines*, plus a decade of farm & construction work, before finishing college.  And I don't agree that playing sports is harder, because I was doing similar activities for fun.  Not, I'll grant you, the big-name stuff like football & basketball (because I've never had any interest in those) but biking, cross-country skiing, & various martial arts.

*I wouldn't say that basic training was easier, but at least the schedule was planned so that you got to the dining halls when there was food.

Oh yeah, and despite popular delusions, athletes take real classes. The same classes everybody else takes.

Sure, they can, and some do.  Most don't.

MPAVictoria

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
"It would be a lot more reasonable if these folks for paid and weren't part of the university system, which makes a mockery of both athletics and academics."

A thousand times this. These people are being exploited.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
This seems so silly, their is a really easy fix. The universities need to make sure that their is a full service cafeteria open for the athletes after all the practices are done, plus their really should be a snack shop for the athletes, I am not feeding athletes but I am feeding growing boys and 3 hots are not enough at all, they need snacks and they aren't needing 10,000 calories a day yet either.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
This seems so silly, their is a really easy fix. The universities need to make sure that their is a full service cafeteria open for the athletes after all the practices are done

Easy in principle but I am sure much harder in practice, how many of the eating establishments are run on contract by outside for-profits, would you ask the non-athletes to (in one way or another) subsidize extended hours for the athletes, hours that apparently the broader market is not demanding?  Also I have always seen the meal plains as being fixed rate independent of usage in the dinning halls, you are a sedentary 100#er 2$k please, you are a 250# football player 2$k in scholarship dollars please. 

Now I always ate on the larger portion side so I did not complain on this to much but one can see an imbalance.  And yes I assume the smaller eaters are more motivated to move out on there own faster than the larger eaters.

Recon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »

If you're starving, you do.  Maybe you get all your teammates to go with you, and your coach learns an important lesson about his ego.  (Are there any college/professional coaches who aren't egotistical assholes?)

And I assure you, they aren't doing the same sort of physical training you do on your own and pay gym fees for. When you're a student athlete, at least at D1 schools, you have a job. Playing sports is your job. You don't have time to do anything else. And trust me, playing sports is harder than any 3 jobs + class you would have been doing.  And the NCAA is making vast sums of money while you are starving. Why are you surprised people are pissed off?

Perhaps I am a wee bit biased by having done a hitch in the Marines*, plus a decade of farm & construction work, before finishing college.  And I don't agree that playing sports is harder, because I was doing similar activities for fun.  Not, I'll grant you, the big-name stuff like football & basketball (because I've never had any interest in those) but biking, cross-country skiing, & various martial arts.

*I wouldn't say that basic training was easier, but at least the schedule was planned so that you got to the dining halls when there was food.

Oh yeah, and despite popular delusions, athletes take real classes. The same classes everybody else takes.

There are so many bad generalizations here...I don't even know where to start.  Again, are you seriously suggesting that players just leave practice?  What's the rationalization?  "My coach is an egotistical asshole, so I have the moral authority to just leave and it'll all be OK?"  Yeah, that's enough for me to walk out of practice and lose not only tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships (which would mean I would have to drop out of school immediately), but also my one shot at pursuing my dream of being a D1 and possibly professional athlete.

Guess what?  Sometimes practice was scheduled at 9pm-12am because that's the only time we could get the facilities in our offseason.  Sometimes 7-10.  And you bet your ass the dining halls weren't bending over backwards to accommodate that schedule.  Participating in random sports on your own time, or even the military, doesn't make you remotely qualified to comment on the workload associated with that level of athletics.

Sorry, but arguments like this fire me up so much.  I played D1 baseball while doing two majors - both of which my school was ranked top 10 in the country for.  I worked my ass off to graduate in 4 years with an honor roll-level GPA.  It's absolutely infuriating to hear people say (or strongly imply) that most college athletes are idiots who are skating by on the good graces of athletic department-friendly professors.  The majority aren't necessarily in my situation either, but they are a lot closer to me than the illiterate UNC players who capture news headlines.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »
Hmm, I go to UConn. The dining halls are open until 7:15 pm. There are three of them that are open until 10:00 pm. The Student Union food market is open until around 11. Even the maximum meal plan offered only gives you $500 to spend throughout the semester on UConn food outside of the dining halls.

Would have to take Napier's words seriously. UConn, and many other colleges for the matter rake in zillions of dollars because of their sports programs. It's fair to make sure the athletes are taken care of foodwise - especially since food would make them perform better.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »

No, quotation marks like that mean verbatim quotation, not sarcasm.

See also:
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Participating in random sports on your own time, or even the military, doesn't make you remotely qualified to comment on the workload associated with that level of athletics.

haha I see you've met james

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:36 PM »

See also:

Sure, they can be used like that as well.  They are never used for emphasis, and as written in the title of this threadit seems sarcastic to me, rather than direct quoting, but maybe not.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »
Participating in random sports on your own time, or even the military, doesn't make you remotely qualified to comment on the workload associated with that level of athletics.

haha I see you've met james

ZING!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 04:44:39 PM »

See also:

Sure, they can be used like that as well.  They are never used for emphasis, and as written in the title of this threadit seems sarcastic to me, rather than direct quoting, but maybe not.

It's a quote though.  The student said "starving."  They are also used for emphasis in other countries, which is why so many of the examples on www.unnecessaryquotes.com are from immigrant-run businesses.  Stop being so Americentric!

ch12

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »

See also:

It's a quote though.  The student said "starving."  They are also used for emphasis in other countries, which is why so many of the examples on www.unnecessaryquotes.com are from immigrant-run businesses.  Stop being so Americentric!

Is the HuffPo being sarcastic when it uses quotes to denote that Shabazz used the word starving? My title was an echo of that title, and I didn't mean any offense.

I'm Indiana born and raised, but my intent was not to be sarcastic about him starving. Yeah, the quotes might've been unnecessary, but he's also not actually starving. My boss spent 3-4 years of his life rescuing orphans in Liberia in an NGO he founded. As a result, he corrects himself every time that he says that he's "starving, I mean hungry." (Those quotes are to indicate that he said those words, in a shocking writer's twist! Bold was also added for emphasis!) Deal with severe malnourishment (like I've been seeing with Vietnamese orphans since I was 7 - and dear goodness, before you say that I'm using a silly word because of my immigrant status, http://www.thefreedictionary.com/malnourishment) before you take starving out of the quotes. Shabazz Napier is going hungry, and he doesn't have enough food - but I've personally taught Ecuadorian kids who were actually starving, and that's why I don't use the word lightly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:25:27 PM by ch12 »

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »
Starving would imply that the student was relying on the cafeteria being open by the time they were completed with practice. While it's a screw up on the system's part with the Coach's time exceeding the time set aside for the cafeteria to be open.... systems fail. Shouldn't the student, as a hard-working responsible Adult have a backup plan for occasions where life throws a curveball at them? Food is food, if you have it, you have met that very low expectation we have set for members of society that they can get food from out there in to their mouth.

Did they never consider taking out a student loan for living expenses?
Foodstamps?
Ask family for money?
Dip in to savings?
Get a fricken credit card and shop for food instead of whining and then going to bed hungry.

Do you honestly have zero dollars available to you? Or is this just an excuse that the "system" is not taking care of you. You were "promised" everything would be handed over to you, and then it wasn't. Poor baby..
Zero sympathy. Life is tough. Time to get over yourself and do what needs to get done.

From the post above, Orphans in Vietnam don't have access to these things (and that is truly terrible!), but these college athletes have the access and the means to get more food. They just don't want to(?)

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »
Did they never consider taking out a student loan for living expenses?
Foodstamps?
Ask family for money?
Dip in to savings?
Get a fricken credit card and shop for food instead of whining and then going to bed hungry.

1) Students on full athletic scholarships are receiving the "full cost of attendance" and therefore not eligible to take out more student loans.
2) Students aren't eligible for food stamps.
3) The people saying they are going hungry rarely have families able to help them out.
4) If they had savings, they would use them for food.
5) Possible, but this is a dangerous road to go down.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:12:21 PM by beltim »

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
Neither of the referenced articles say anything about the cafeteria hours. Both articles say he was going hungry because he "can't afford food". If the university meal plans don't provide sufficient calories for athletes then yes, that should be looked into. But reading the articles and watching the video I don't think that is really the issue. They players are putting in a LOT of hours, and it sounds like they don't think their compensation for those hours is fair.

FWIW, in the context of this blog and this thread's placement in the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" I thought the quotations indicated sarcasm as well. If they don't, it kinda seems like this thread belongs in off-topic.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
I would say it is def. should be the Universities responsibility to provide for these athletes if that is part of their scholarship. it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to solve this problem by even circumventing the maybe outsourced cafeterias.

They would need a few vending machines placed strategically that the students can use their food cards for, they can even offer healthy solutions, they only need someone to keep them filled, oh look one more student they can hire to do a part time job.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »
the quotes bits have made me laugh. 

Clearly people in the US use the word starving when they mean just really hungry, and we can probably all agree that the usage is so common we can't hold it against this kid.

GuitarStv, I did figure the oatmeal thing out pretty quick.  But first I had to come up with the $8 (actually I only needed $2 for the generic cylinder that I could access at the store walking distance from my room.)

Let's think about this for a minute.  What time are the Marquee BigEast or ACC games?  Hmmm, that's right, usually 9pm because of TV commercials and to catch the west coast gamblers as well even if its a Tuesday or Wednesday night.  What time do you think the bus leaves to go from, say, UNC to NC State.  (It's about a 45-60 minute drive if there is rush hour traffic.)  Working backwards, that means ready to go on the court for warm ups at 8pm.  In the training room dressed and ready to go for taping and therapy no later than 7 pm.  Odd are very good that the bus leaves at 5 pm, if not earlier because some coaches think getting there crazy early is their style.  So eat right before 5, right?  Jeez, that's easy to figure out.  What if your physics lab is 2pm - 5pm?  Okay, no time to eat dinner, so have a big lunch.  Check, big lunch.  Plan ahead and snag a banana and some crackers to eat on the bus.

Play game from 9pm to ~11pm.  Wait around for media interviews.  Bus leaves.  Back to campus around 1 am?  Maybe bus driver is nice and drops you off near your building door.  And now it's time to think about eating your first real meal since lunch.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »
GuitarStv, I did figure the oatmeal thing out pretty quick.  But first I had to come up with the $8 (actually I only needed $2 for the generic cylinder that I could access at the store walking distance from my room.)

Let's think about this for a minute.  What time are the Marquee BigEast or ACC games?  Hmmm, that's right, usually 9pm because of TV commercials and to catch the west coast gamblers as well even if its a Tuesday or Wednesday night.  What time do you think the bus leaves to go from, say, UNC to NC State.  (It's about a 45-60 minute drive if there is rush hour traffic.)  Working backwards, that means ready to go on the court for warm ups at 8pm.  In the training room dressed and ready to go for taping and therapy no later than 7 pm.  Odd are very good that the bus leaves at 5 pm, if not earlier because some coaches think getting there crazy early is their style.  So eat right before 5, right?  Jeez, that's easy to figure out.  What if your physics lab is 2pm - 5pm?  Okay, no time to eat dinner, so have a big lunch.  Check, big lunch.  Plan ahead and snag a banana and some crackers to eat on the bus.

Play game from 9pm to ~11pm.  Wait around for media interviews.  Bus leaves.  Back to campus around 1 am?  Maybe bus driver is nice and drops you off near your building door.  And now it's time to think about eating your first real meal since lunch.

I'm not raising a bag of oatmeal and bowl of water over my head, and screaming "BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED I AM CAPTAIN OATMEAL SATIETY!!"  I'm not saying that someone in university will never feel a hunger pang.  I would argue however that occasionally being hungry doesn't kill a person.  I'd also argue that if you want to eat something cheap and bland pretty much any college kid can afford to.  We're talking some mild discomfort until the free breakfast the next day . . . only if they're too lazy/picky to make something when they get home.  This is not a situation worth of pity or concern.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 06:45:34 AM »
I went to a big, Southern school with a HUGE emphasis on college athletics.  I wasn't a student athlete myself, but my roommate dated a swimmer.  We didn't have a piddly little swim program, either.  A lot of these swimmers went to the Olympics, and my school boasts several gold-medal winners.  I was always astonished at how freaking hard these guys and girls worked.  Up at 4 AM for swim practice, full load of classes, and then another 4 hours of practice after classes were over.  I remember going to his house once and he was cooking two pounds of chicken breasts (just for himself!).  It didn't occur to me to ask how he afforded it at the time, but for people expending that kind of energy in a day, it takes a tremendous amount of real food.  I always felt sorry for them knowing that, unlike the football players, they had no paychecks to look forward to after they graduated.  They really did need to get a good education, since they were going to have to get jobs after college. 

No to malign the football players, though.  I took Geology with one of our players (he's now in the NFL!) and he totally kicked my butt in that class.  He wasn't the smartest guy I've ever met, but he worked really hard, came to study sessions when he was able, and did really well in the class.  There were times when he would come to study groups wet from shower- he had just come straight from practice- so I don't know how he would have gotten dinner.  Pretty sure our dining halls closed pretty early.

I don't think it is fair to pretend that these people aren't working like dogs to play elite-level sports and try to get an education.  We've all seen interviews of football players who can barely form a coherent sentence, but there are a lot of athletes out there who are really working hard at their schooling in the midst of an incredibly grueling athletic schedule.  The demands and pressures that are placed on them are astonishing.

My beloved football team is a big part of my post-school life, but I can't help but feel like we are somehow taking advantage of these students who are bringing in millions of dollars for their colleges and universities.  I don't know how to resolve the issue, but it gives me Feelings.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 07:01:46 AM »

No, no you don't. Because if you do, you lose your scholarship immediately and poof, there goes your livelihood and hopes and dreams up in smoke, gone in an instant. The coach wouldn't be the one learning the lesson in this scenario...

By all accounts, joining the Marine Corp is a vacation compared to D1 athletics. I believe them, based on what I've seen.

No, all do. There are occasional easy-A classes thrown in for most of them and of course they have unlimited access to amazing tutors, but all of them take real classes. Every. Single. One. They may not major in Mechanical Engineering or anything, but they all take the legitimate classes that everybody else takes. I went to a very demanding engineering school in the southeast with a large D1 sports programming and knew many athletes both in football/basketball and the non-money sports. Not a single one of them fit the stereotype you are projecting. They were all reasonably intelligent people and they all took their studies seriously. They had to, because if they failed a class they were kicked off the team.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:11:38 AM by kyleaaa »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »

No, all do. There are occasional easy-A classes thrown in for most of them and of course they have unlimited access to amazing tutors, but all of them take real classes. Every. Single. One. They may not major in Mechanical Engineering or anything, but they all take the legitimate classes that everybody else takes.

This is what is supposed to be true. Sometimes it is, and sometimes when it isn't, the offending schools get caught.

In my experience, it tends to be true most of the time outside of the big money-making sports.

But the athletic department has a lot of leverage to pressure adjuncts and grad assistants, too, and that's who teaches the majority of classes at D1 institutions, so there's more than one way to skin that cat.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 07:26:07 AM »

No, all do. There are occasional easy-A classes thrown in for most of them and of course they have unlimited access to amazing tutors, but all of them take real classes. Every. Single. One. They may not major in Mechanical Engineering or anything, but they all take the legitimate classes that everybody else takes.

This is what is supposed to be true. Sometimes it is, and sometimes when it isn't, the offending schools get caught.

In my experience, it tends to be true most of the time outside of the big money-making sports.

But the athletic department has a lot of leverage to pressure adjuncts and grad assistants, too, and that's who teaches the majority of classes at D1 institutions, so there's more than one way to skin that cat.

Yes. When I was in college we had a couple "special" programs with recruited students. Not sports, but high profile and important to the school's reputation in those fields. I was fired from a tutoring job in part because I wasn't willing to do what I considered an unethical amount of work for the "special" students. I ended up transitioning to writing tutoring at the drop-in academic center and as a writing assistant in 300 level courses, which was much better. I can't imagine the kind of pressure a grad student TA would face to pass the star RB of a DI football team, or something.

I can. He was a linebacker, though.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »

I think the larger point is that (to the best of my knowledge) it is opposed to NCAA rules for the coach to bring a cooler of home made sandwiches for the players to eat on the bus ride home, hell they probably could not freely receive uneaten food from the concession stands that would otherwise be donated/thrown away.  How messed up is that?  Where any non-athletic club could buy members a sit down dinner.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »

No, it's always true. While SOME schools (recent example: UNC) blatantly cheat, it's not as if every class is that way. Those students in the UNC still took regular classes other students took. Hard classes, too. That they had a FEW obviously fake classes to take some pressure off during the season doesn't diminish that fact. And yes, there is a lot of pressure put on professors to pass star players. But they're still taking the classes. There are no athletes anywhere ever who get to skip real classes and focus solely on sports. It just doesn't happen. Yes UNC cheated, but they weren't just passing out diplomas, either.

But even if this OCCASIONALLY did happen, it doesn't change the fact that in 99% of the cases, it doesn't. The stereotypes are conclusively false.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:57:59 AM by kyleaaa »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
In order to get my diploma, I had to pass a range of classes, in a variety of subjects, as well as the ones in my major concentration. If 25% of my classes had been fluff courses with 10-sentence papers, then my diploma would be "passed out" not earned. There's really no other way to put it. Those students with fluff classes to take the pressure off didn't meet the requirements for a degree in the same way that all the other students on campus did. In effect, their diplomas were giveaways. No other student would have gotten a diploma presenting that level of work.

So all students have to take just as hard of classes to get an diploma?  Or all classes are equally hard provided they are open to all students?

That might be news to some of us from the engineering department (among others).  Granted we also had a guy taking PE classes to get his GPA high enough to graduate.  Not sure he got a job but his diploma did say "Aerospace Engineering".

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »
There are so many bad generalizations here...I don't even know where to start.

You seem to have found a spot :-)  Seriously, though, regardless of the quality of the generalizations, that's all any of us have, simply because there's so much variation.

Again, are you seriously suggesting that players just leave practice?  What's the rationalization?

The rationalization is that you need to eat, and that if your coach wasn't an egotistical asshole, s/he should realize that poorly-nourished players aren't going to be performing at their peak.

"My coach is an egotistical asshole, so I have the moral authority to just leave and it'll all be OK?"  Yeah, that's enough for me to walk out of practice and lose not only tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships (which would mean I would have to drop out of school immediately), but also my one shot at pursuing my dream of being a D1 and possibly professional athlete.

Is all that worth going to bed hungry?  If so, you put up with it.  If not, you don't have to allow yourself to be walked on.  Unlike the military, you can quit any time.

Guess what?  Sometimes practice was scheduled at 9pm-12am because that's the only time we could get the facilities in our offseason.  Sometimes 7-10.  And you bet your ass the dining halls weren't bending over backwards to accommodate that schedule.

Well, now you're generalizing your own experience, which is vastly different from mine, and what I think is typical of most major sports programs in most schools.  Where I went, the student athletes in the big sports had their own special dorm, which had been a fairly nice hotel until the university bought it (and part of which still was a hotel for visiting scholars and the like).  As I mentioned earlier, athletes got first priority at all gym facilities. 

Athletic training may or may not have been difficult, but it didn't seem to keep a significant number of major sports players from partying, getting arrested, or taking advantage of the (rumored) free passed at the local brothel.

Why not?  I could observe what those student athletes were doing, and compare it to what I & other non-athletes were doing, as well as anyone can - at least without hooking everyone up to a bunch of instrumentation, and I can't find anything like that in a quick search.

Sorry, but arguments like this fire me up so much.  I played D1 baseball while doing two majors - both of which my school was ranked top 10 in the country for.  I worked my ass off to graduate in 4 years with an honor roll-level GPA.  It's absolutely infuriating to hear people say (or strongly imply) that most college athletes are idiots who are skating by on the good graces of athletic department-friendly professors.  The majority aren't necessarily in my situation either, but they are a lot closer to me than the illiterate UNC players who capture news headlines.

Now who's making (bad, IMHO) generalizations from their own experiences?  Yes, there are people like you who manage to do both athletics and academics, but they aren't anywhere near the majority, especially in the big-name sports.  Which baseball isn't, at the university level.

So all students have to take just as hard of classes to get an diploma?  Or all classes are equally hard provided they are open to all students?

That might be news to some of us from the engineering department (among others).  Granted we also had a guy taking PE classes to get his GPA high enough to graduate.  Not sure he got a job but his diploma did say "Aerospace Engineering".

This.  Sure, many of those RPED classes are real classes, which can be taken by non-athletes.  But most of the non-athletes took them as recreation, while for the athletes they were the mainstream.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:52:31 PM by Jamesqf »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
@serpentstooth: maybe we are coming at this from different angles, where I more highly value my department's name and you value your schools name?  Perhaps this lets me look at it as an "over there problem" as the athletes in question were not taking fluff computational heat transfer classes.  Lets try keep this mildly OT and not let it diverge into "mine was harder", "no it was not" or relative vs absolute levels of difficulty.