Author Topic: Sell-out?  (Read 5065 times)

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
Sell-out?
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:22:40 AM »
Dave Ramsey is helping you save money by selling you even more stuff.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: Sell-out?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »
"ammo"?
Is that a promo code, as in "referred by {Guns and} Ammo", or...?

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:58:52 AM »
Dave Ramsey is helping you save money by selling you even more stuff.

I will say, that for monitored security systems, simplisafe seemed like a solid product compared to traditional security. It even offers a cellular connection so a little snip of the land line doesn't render it useless.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
"ammo"?

I thought if you had enough ammo you didn't need an electronic security system.

Oh, wait.... I forgot; you can't ever have enough ammo.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
Meh...it's not much different than the products MMM gets kickbacks on for recommending, apparently to the tune of about $400,000 last year. I admit I find it kind of annoying, but can't blame a guy for cashing in on his hard work.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »
"ammo"?

Considering the ad on the facing page is literally for ammunition, I would say that's a safe bet.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 11:35:49 AM »
What's more of a Ramsey sell out is him hawking his crony recommendations to front-load fee financial advisers.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »
What's more of a Ramsey sell out is him hawking his crony recommendations to front-load fee financial advisers.

I've heard him specifically talk about this on the radio show before and basically say as a fairly justifiable response something like, "could you manage this yourself? Yes, but will you hold firm through 2008? Will you reliably invest? For most people the answer is no."

Dave Ramsey has never stated his "goal" is 100% pure efficiency for people's finances. His goal is life change. For a lot of people the fees their investment ELP folks charge will be negligible to the life change it causes.

All of us probably have relatives we would LOVE to see pay 5% load fees and a 1% ER if if means they start regularly investing compared to their current lifestyles...

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »

I've heard him specifically talk about this on the radio show before and basically say as a fairly justifiable response something like, "could you manage this yourself? Yes, but will you hold firm through 2008? Will you reliably invest? For most people the answer is no."

Dave Ramsey has never stated his "goal" is 100% pure efficiency for people's finances. His goal is life change. For a lot of people the fees their investment ELP folks charge will be negligible to the life change it causes.

All of us probably have relatives we would LOVE to see pay 5% load fees and a 1% ER if if means they start regularly investing compared to their current lifestyles...

I invested our emergency fund in a 60/40 stock/bond Vanguard Life Strategy fund. In theory this is preferable in the long run. In reality the first time that the market significantly dropped, I freaked out, sold, and lost $1800. I learned a lot about myself as an investor then, which was worth the money lost. Now I keep the emergency fund in cash and invest the rest of my money, because I know my own emotional limits.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache