Author Topic: SELL EVERYTHING!  (Read 7165 times)

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
SELL EVERYTHING!
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:32 AM »
I'm no expert but I thought the buy and hold strategy was the one most recommended. Seems like CNN is fine with causing wide-spread panic:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/investing/markets-sell-everything-cataclysmic-year-rbs/index.html

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: SELL EVERYTHING!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »
We'll conveniently ignore the fact that if a large enough group of people actually take this advice, that will be the crash. . . .

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »
Of course you should sell everything.  Morgan Stanley & RBS want you to keep all the wealth you've accumulated.  That is why they're selflessly standing by, ready to create a market to buy your stocks now that they're down 8% from where they closed at the end of last year.  These firms are following in the footsteps of the great & noble John Pierpont Morgan himself.  You should take this slight discount and sell your stocks before they go down any further.

MS & RBS have nothing to gain from this....honestly....pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
This will be my first year with enough positive NW to invest. I say, panic away! In the meantime, I'll be buying up all the cheap stocks.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »
Exactly.... I just front-loaded my Roth IRA for the year last week and have no regrets :) - I do feel bad for the people who listen to this crap though.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:24:25 AM »
I know, I have a whole bunch of property tax bills coming due in the next 4-6 weeks.  It's seriously annoying me that I can't take that earmarked cash and go on an ETF shopping spree since prices are so low.  Fingers crossed that when I clear the tax hurdle, I can still get in and enjoy the sale party...

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
I know, I have a whole bunch of property tax bills coming due in the next 4-6 weeks.  It's seriously annoying me that I can't take that earmarked cash and go on an ETF shopping spree since prices are so low.  Fingers crossed that when I clear the tax hurdle, I can still get in and enjoy the sale party...

I've looked at going ahead and using my Property tax money to invest cheap and then pay the very modest late penalty....might be worth considering if it doesn't immediately impact your credit but it is an admittedly risky strategy.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »

I've looked at going ahead and using my Property tax money to invest cheap and then pay the very modest late penalty....might be worth considering if it doesn't immediately impact your credit but it is an admittedly risky strategy.

True, but I have a bigger problem preventing me from doing this.  I hate debt, and I avoid it at all costs.  Nothing makes me feel more anxious than a balance on my credit cards.  It even bothers me when I can easily afford to pay it off before interest comes due, but it's more than I budgeted.  I feel depressed when I have to save less than I expect on payday, for any reason.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 12:18:39 PM »
 In recent years CNBC "Markets in Turmoil" has been very reliable as an indication the market is about to go up.

https://twitter.com/sentimentrader/status/685298757630574592

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »

I get a 2% discount for paying municipal utility bills and property taxes one month early. It's a fantastic annualized rate of return. I'm amazed that they offer it.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 02:46:57 PM »
Hmm. Market sell off is driven by fear despite solid domestic fundamentals. Seems like just the time to buy. However, I invest consistent amounts so don't have cash on hand to invest more...

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
I'm hoping that it stays low until payday!

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 04:49:58 PM »
I'm hoping that it stays low until payday!

You aren't the only one.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
I've seen people posting on FB about how a coming market crash is coming. I'm just going to keep paddling along.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 07:01:11 AM »
Wonder how many of them are doing it to justify their own failure to save/invest anything themselves?

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 07:14:26 AM »
Wonder how many of them are doing it to justify their own failure to save/invest anything themselves?

+1

I've had someone mention that they're glad they don't have any money in the market. They only buy CD's - they keep bragging that they're not losing any money right now but I know if I stay the course I'll beat the 2% CD rate in the long run.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 08:22:36 AM »
Hmm. Market sell off is driven by fear despite solid domestic fundamentals. Seems like just the time to buy. However, I invest consistent amounts so don't have cash on hand to invest more...

I keep only about 60 days worth of cash on hand so it was tough for me to buy into last week's dip as well.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 10:51:47 AM »
It's drivin' me nuts too. I only just got around to putting in my 2015 IRA money, which was at a good price, but everything's even MORE on sale now! I have such a rager for this market that I have to talk myself out of borrowing to invest... lol

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »
It's drivin' me nuts too. I only just got around to putting in my 2015 IRA money, which was at a good price, but everything's even MORE on sale now! I have such a rager for this market that I have to talk myself out of borrowing to invest... lol
+1. Mustachians are Buffeteers aka opportunists... buy when the markets are on sale!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 11:56:44 AM »

I get a 2% discount for paying municipal utility bills and property taxes one month early. It's a fantastic annualized rate of return. I'm amazed that they offer it.
Our 2015 property taxes are due by 31 March 2016. I pay at the end of Nov 2015 and get 4% off. Pay in Dec and get 3% discount, 2% in Jan 2016, 1% in Feb 2016. Makes for significant savings when I'm paying for 6 properties.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 11:30:31 AM »

Our 2015 property taxes are due by 31 March 2016. I pay at the end of Nov 2015 and get 4% off. Pay in Dec and get 3% discount, 2% in Jan 2016, 1% in Feb 2016. Makes for significant savings when I'm paying for 6 properties.

Consider yourself lucky, I would happily pay ahead of time to get a discount.  Best I can get is that if the tax payment is due on 1/1, I can get away with no extra charges if they receive it by the end of the same month.  I own rental houses in a couple of states, and the only other "deal" they offer is I can pay the taxes on my CC for an additional 3%.  :(

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »

Wonder if that's state law or if we happen to live in the same county - because we have the same deal on property taxes.

Edit to add: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0100-0199/0197/Sections/0197.162.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:36:50 AM by dandarc »

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
I was very glad that I rolled over my 401k when I did. It dipped right when the money went back in! Hooray!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!