Author Topic: Self-Storage....with wine tastings  (Read 3644 times)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
Self-Storage....with wine tastings
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »
(Self-storage companies) will do anything to get your stuff in (their facilities)," he says. "They also know the chances of you taking it out aren't as great...it's out of sight, out of mind.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/self-storage-is-a-real-product-surging-industry-adding-all-kinds-of-perks-1.3543872

A lot of interesting points. As businesses, these companies seem to be doing some smart things. It's their customers who are mostly nuts. It was interesting though that a lot of the customers are other companies.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Re: Self-Storage....with wine tastings
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
Every time I see a sign for climate controlled self storage I can't help but imagine a cryogenic freezing service where people pay to have their bodies frozen until such time as their disease (and possibly death) can be reversed.

BigFatherA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »
Every time I see a sign for climate controlled self storage I can't help but imagine a cryogenic freezing service where people pay to have their bodies frozen until such time as their disease (and possibly death) can be reversed.
The only way I can make this work would be deep space such as seen in TNG "The Neutral Zone"

You would need to park a satellite full of "corpsicles" out by the orbit of Saturn or so.  You only need enough liquid nitrogen to get out there.

I would expect that land based cryo-storage will fail many centuries before we can cure death...

I wonder if I could make a side hustle selling spots on such a satellite, then getting it built and launched...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:52:14 AM »

I seem to remember reading that there was enough square footage in storage facilities to house every man, woman, and child in America. We could literally use self-storage for self-storage.

This morning I was thinking of the proliferation of "dead malls" that remain from the country's overbuilt retail sector. It would be very appropriate if many of them get converted into massive self-storage facilities just like the ones in the OP's linked article.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:28 AM »
I just skimmed the article, but the two companies mentioned seemed to have legitimate uses for it (medical record storage and home staging furniture/art storage).  The one time I remember watching some TV show on auctioning off the contents of unpaid storage units it was stupid things like broken down furniture and sports stuff.

Around here, there used to be a chain called "Uncle Bob's", which I thought was kind of cute in a "I'm just gonna take this stuff to Uncle Bob's" kind of way.  Now they're called "Life Storage" which just makes me shudder. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
Business storage for files, etc make perfect sense. I'm an auditor, I ask about document retention. If it's paper, offsite storage is common.

For individuals - get rid it.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »
I just skimmed the article, but the two companies mentioned seemed to have legitimate uses for it (medical record storage and home staging furniture/art storage).  The one time I remember watching some TV show on auctioning off the contents of unpaid storage units it was stupid things like broken down furniture and sports stuff.

I had a 10' X 30' unit for 4-5 months last year, when were were between houses. The place was extremely well run. So, one day I asked the owner about the real story of the "Storage wars" reality shows? She told me that it was basically bullshit for the most part. Bottom line is that most people are smart enough to not leave much of any value in a locker that they have stopped paying rent for. She is required by state law to post legal notices, and hire a licensed auctioneer to liquidate abandoned contents, but it's always a money losing event for the owners. She said it would be far easier and less stressful if people just paid their rent, since many leave junk that not only has no value, but they sometimes can't even be give it away, forcing them to spend time and money emptying the units out, and paying dumpster fees to get the crap hauled away.
In our area the big scores were to be had by the guys who were contracted by the banks to clean homes out during the foreclosure crisis. I knew a couple of carpenters who quit swinging a hammer for a while, since they were making an hourly wage to clear places out, and an equal amount, or more, by reselling furniture, electronics, and other high value stuff they removed from abandoned homes. We had houses in our neighborhood where owners just walked out like they were going on vacation, but never bothered to come back. Weird times.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »

Oh, we have a local festival for that called Frozen Dead Guy Days.  It's real with coffin races and a hearse parade...seriously.  To celebrate a guy who is frozen in a tuff shed until he can be brought back to life. 

http://frozendeadguydays.org/

There's even a movie "Grandpa's in the Tuffshed" 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
This is already a thing.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »

Around here, there used to be a chain called "Uncle Bob's", which I thought was kind of cute in a "I'm just gonna take this stuff to Uncle Bob's" kind of way.  Now they're called "Life Storage" which just makes me shudder.

That's cause once you start Storing things in there you'll find that they'll be there for the remainder of your life.

I feel like storage has become a cruel joke, like a family member dies and part of being named in his/her will is that you now need to go empty out their Life Storage. It may contain valuable things that you can sell but more than not it is full of junk that should have been thrown out decades ago.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!