Author Topic: Self-Entitled Couple Cancel Wedding, Steal Gift Money  (Read 3563 times)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Self-Entitled Couple Cancel Wedding, Steal Gift Money
« on: November 05, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »
A couple has cancelled their wedding, but instead of returning the gifts the way decent people will do, they're spending it all on a "honeymoon" vacation while holding out their hands for even MORE gifts for an even better and more fabulous wedding later.

Their rationale, apparently, is that the only legitimate kind of gift is one that comes with no strings attached, and that it's mean and unreasonable for the guests and the wedding party (many of whom are stuck with massive travel and clothing bills that can't be refunded) to be upset about the fact that they aren't getting their cash gifts back.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/couple-cancels-wedding-keeps-dollar30k-as-donation-for-honeymoon-instead/ar-AAJT9dc?ocid=ientp

I hope someone sues. Seriously.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Self-Entitled Couple Cancel Wedding, Steal Gift Money
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 11:08:13 PM »
I think if any of my friends ever did something so gauche, not only would I de-friend him or her, but I would also self-immolate from vicarious shame.

Weddings are meant to be a net gain for the guests - not a net gain for the hosts!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:06:01 AM »
I can totally understand that someone wants to cancel their wedding, but to do it without breaking up and going on a honeymoon afterwards is weird. And to keep the gifts, without having provided the party is rude.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 03:40:03 AM »
It's not real, it's a marketing stunt

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:59:22 AM »
It'd a weird story.

I'm not actually sure I'd care that much if I'd given them a wedding gift and they decided they needed to cancel (but stay together). The whole presentation is gauche - why mention the honeymoon at all? Or the amount raised? Or that the real wedding will be bigger and better?

Just say you will be rescheduling to another date.

I would not feel obligated to provide an additional gift. To this wedding, or any future wedding of the bride or groom.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
It'd a weird story.

I'm not actually sure I'd care that much if I'd given them a wedding gift and they decided they needed to cancel (but stay together). The whole presentation is gauche - why mention the honeymoon at all? Or the amount raised? Or that the real wedding will be bigger and better?

I would not feel obligated to provide an additional gift. To this wedding, or any future wedding of the bride or groom.

It's weird because it's fake, just like most of these viral wedding-outrage stories are.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 07:44:46 AM »
It'd a weird story.

It's weird because it's fake, just like most of these viral wedding-outrage stories are.

Buzz kill   ;-)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
It'd a weird story.

Yeah, I read a similar link yesterday about the outrage, and someone pointed out that it is fake and doesn't even look like a FB feed.