Author Topic: Seen the new Cadillac ELR commercial  (Read 22067 times)

ttc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Seen the new Cadillac ELR commercial
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:54:01 AM »
I mostly do not watch TV, as it does not meet my goals of "more of what matters."  However, I am a sucker for the Olympics, and was watching the Opening Ceremonies tonight -- while reviewing some of the posts on MMM.  What a coincidence then, that the is this Cadillac commercial that shows, right as I'm reading posts.  Have you seen it? 

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/02/cadillac-elr-ad-sticks-europe.html

Oh, my goodness, it is just about the most anti-mustachian piece out there.  I just about burst a gut laughing. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Seen the new Cadillac ELR commercial
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:05:09 AM »
wow

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
Wow is right. Thing is, the commercial sets its hook in you early on; you think its an indictment of the materialist lifestyle. And you'd be wrong. This thing is obnoxious on so many levels, not the least of which the implication that Bill Gates and the Wright brothers were motivated by the good ole 'Murrican obsession w/ accumulating "stuff". Sorry, Cadillac, you can keep your tarted-up Volt- I'll take my Hyundai and a couple extra weeks vacay,  if it's all the same to you.

BTW- how'd you like to work for that guy? Yeesh.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »
I saw that last night too.  My first thought was that you think I should work more for that car?  It looks like the newest Catera. 

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »
So ... you give up leisure time so you can have expensive stuff that compensates for giving up leisure time ...  Does anyone really believe this?  The advertisers actually think we'll swallow this?

But no question that Americans do work longer hours — compulsively, in many cases.  I am reminded of the saying of Thoreau: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.  What is called resignation is confirmed desperation."

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »
I looked at the ELR much like I look at Escalades now...  Way out of my league and I wouldn't keep it if you gave it to me!

Engineer_Erik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
I couldn't stop thinking about how I want August off WAY more than I want an ELR.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 06:55:43 AM »
I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »
I am rarely speechless but this ad left me so. 

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »
So ... you give up leisure time so you can have expensive stuff that compensates for giving up leisure time ...  Does anyone really believe this?

I think a lot of Cadillac drivers do!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
Good god that is the worst dressed man I have ever seen in a commercial.  Which I guess hammers home the point about us not being Europe.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
Buttoning both buttons on his suit? Oh yeah, he's an American alright.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
The first time I missed this:  We're crazy driven hard-working believers.  Nice.  We work hard because of god.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:53 PM »
We "believe" in the value of working compulsively without much vacation.  That's what the commercial seems to imply.  We "believe" that a Cadillac is adequate compensation for not having a life.

The delivery of the guy in this commercial owes a lot to the famous Old Spice commercial, except that that one was clever.  This guy doesn't look like someone who'd be fun to hang out with.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »
We "believe" in the value of working compulsively without much vacation.  That's what the commercial seems to imply.  We "believe" that a Cadillac is adequate compensation for not having a life.

The delivery of the guy in this commercial owes a lot to the famous Old Spice commercial, except that that one was clever.  This guy doesn't look like someone who'd be fun to hang out with.

LOL, isn't that Neal MacDonaugh?  Cool actor, was great in Band of Brothers.  Probably a good guy in real life.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_McDonough
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:01:06 PM by iamlindoro »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »

LOL, isn't that Neal MacDonaugh?  Cool actor, was great in Band of Brothers.  Probably a good guy in real life.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_McDonough

I was wondering if I was supposed to know that guy.

I do like the house though.  The car, not so much.

milla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »
Went to the moon and got bored? BORED?!

Gross.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
Went to the moon and got bored? BORED?!

Gross.

Sadly, it's almost an accurate depiction of the public's response.

"After Apollo 11, interest in the moon landings fell off sharply. The near disaster of Apollo 13 caused a brief spike of interest, but by Apollo 16 people were calling the television networks to complain that the astronauts were getting in the way of I Love Lucy – indeed, repeats of I Love Lucy."

Not that that's something to be proud of.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 12:15:29 PM »
OP, I am the same with my TV watching habits. Last night I really wanted to watch the Olympics for a bit, and I got bombarded with "buy more crap" messages. This one took the prize, though. Completely obnoxious. I couldn't laugh out loud, I just wanted to scream. Earlier I had already joked with DW that if I bought all the cars that were advertised in the short period I watched, I'd have to build a parking garage. And then that. Disgusting.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
I couldn't stop thinking about how I want August off WAY more than I want an ELR.

This.

Plus 10.

I could buy a house AND a car AND a year's worth of groceries for what that thing costs. 

jesstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

This is exactly what I said when I saw this ad.. after I picked my jaw up off the floor.

nyxst

• Bristles
    • AgainstAllOdds
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »
I work for an Italian company... They take august off.... But the american subsidiary can't.... I think that's mean of them. That is all.

tammyLav

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this! Dh and I just sat there, waiting for the punch line during this commercial. Surely, this was a spoof... but no, it was sadly real. I just keep hoping they were over the top on purpose to bait and switch Americans to the EV thing.... Thank goodness for MMM forum. I knew I'd find sanity here! That commercial is one of the few that made me want to throw something at my TV... though like most of you, I rarely watch TV and never really see commercials. We just really love the Olympics.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:48:53 PM by tammyLav »

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »
I happened to see this ad at the same time I was reading this article:

http://jeffarchibald.ca/60-hour-work-week-badge-honour/

I happened to find it on Hacker News and the commentary is pretty sad..

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7244109

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
When we saw this and watched it several times since I have become convinced its a kind of send up of everything that is bad about America.. Namely ravenous consumerism.

I mean the wink at the end.. in a way its brilliant.

Of course its STILL trying to get you to buy a stupid car... So I'm not totally convinced what it is yet..:)

Have you also noticed now how when they advertise cars on TV from bigger dealerships they ONLY put the lease price of the car on the screen?... Only $250 a month! Disgusting..

Frank

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
When we saw this and watched it several times since I have become convinced its a kind of send up of everything that is bad about America.. Namely ravenous consumerism.

I mean the wink at the end.. in a way its brilliant.

Of course its STILL trying to get you to buy a stupid car... So I'm not totally convinced what it is yet..:)

Have you also noticed now how when they advertise cars on TV from bigger dealerships they ONLY put the lease price of the car on the screen?... Only $250 a month! Disgusting..

Frank

What is the last thing he says?  I watched it a couple times but never caught it?  Nespot?

Emerald

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
I saw this commercial and immediately thought of this forum. 

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 01:41:50 PM »
What about the Chevy Premium one?

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
That commercial, it's pretty funny. I'm glad to see more electric vehicles though.

Also I'm pretty sure what he says at the end is "n'es(t) pas?" Which is basically "no?" (or is it not?) But someone with more French knowledge please correct me

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
What is the last thing he says?  I watched it a couple times but never caught it?  Nespot?

It's french: N'est pas.
Literally "Is it not?" but better translated as a sort of "get what I'm saying?" phrase.
Goes along with the wink. And, in the context of the commercial is simultaneously making fun of Europe.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »
I love that spot.  Hilarious. So the guy doesn't share our views, so what? We must be tolerant of others as we want them to be of us. The writing and production are excellent, and the performance pitch perfect.

Obviously it was written for a particular audience. And is it so surprising that it airs during the most national pride filled event on TV, the Olympics?

And the line about the Moon? Priceless.

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 03:45:35 AM »
I actually think the last sentence was n'est ce pas, which would translate as 'isn't it?'.

This spot made me very proud of not being American. While I never take August off (free airco at work), I do have 4 weeks of vacation time, and I will take them :p. You guys have achieved a lot, but this spot does point out a lot of the reasons why the US is that much in debt and its economy is that much at danger. We have gotten a lot of financial restrictions here in the last 5 years, but rather that than the US scenario.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 04:53:55 AM »
The US govt sn't in debt because of the Apollo missions. Or not taking vacations. Or having fancy cars, 2 kids, lavish homes, business suits, or Caddies.

oh wait you mean American people? OK maybe.

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 01:48:17 PM »
I actually think the last sentence was n'est ce pas, which would translate as 'isn't it?'.

Whoops, you're right. I was close though!

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »
I love that spot.  Hilarious. So the guy doesn't share our views, so what? We must be tolerant of others as we want them to be of us. The writing and production are excellent, and the performance pitch perfect.

Obviously it was written for a particular audience. And is it so surprising that it airs during the most national pride filled event on TV, the Olympics?

I agree.  My house loves this commercial.

I think most people are completely ignoring the start of the commercial, where the guy explicitly says, "Why do we work so hard?  For what - for this?  For stuff?"  And then every example he gives is obviously about people motivated by things other than stuff.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »

I agree.  My house loves this commercial.

I think most people are completely ignoring the start of the commercial, where the guy explicitly says, "Why do we work so hard?  For what - for this?  For stuff?"  And then every example he gives is obviously about people motivated by things other than stuff.

Agreed that there's some nuance to it, but I still think people who understand that might find it objectionable.  It's about the glory of achievement.  Okay so far.  And Americans believe that long hours equal achievement.  Achievement equals paychecks.  Well, okay...  In the end, it's about the concept that the stuff you can buy is the way you keep score of who's achieved the most.  Because: you should buy this car because you've achieved so much that you can afford to. 

There's kind of a joke that they're telling you to buy it just because it's expensive, but I think the underlying assumption that the high-octane professional ambition / spending treadmill lifestyle is good is serious.  And, indeed, plenty of people might be very professional-goal-oriented but still pro-MMM.

jordanread

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
I don't think I was the target audience of that commercial. Just sayin'

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 05:59:54 AM »
Cadillac: We sell crap you don't need, and you suckers work yourself to death to buy it. Rarely is advertising so honest!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
I've seen that commercial a couple more times now, and I'm still in shock.  Does that seriously make people want to buy that car?  I find the whole commercial to be a serious turn-off to Cadillac.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »

"After Apollo 11, interest in the moon landings fell off sharply. The near disaster of Apollo 13 caused a brief spike of interest, but by Apollo 16 people were calling the television networks to complain that the astronauts were getting in the way of I Love Lucy – indeed, repeats of I Love Lucy."

Is that quote from something you can source? Because this is a fact I want clearly in my head for future use.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 11:14:51 PM »

Is that quote from something you can source? Because this is a fact I want clearly in my head for future use.

I don't have a primary source... the quote is from http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n18/john-lanchester/short-cuts (published in a real periodical!)

It may be one of those "common knowledge" things that's wrong -- not sure if Apollo viewership is easy to find online

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
If you are not a North American, and found that commercial to be fascinating, please take a moment to look at our "Harley culture".  This involves a bunch of middle to elderly ages men who dress up and play a fantasy role, and do so not in obscure little groups, but numbering in the millions.

The object is to purchase a grossly overpriced, technologically obsolete motorcycle that is huge, and loaded with all manners of chrome do-dads, and other bad-assed accoutrements, like skulls and leather tassles. The next requirement is to dress like a retarded, leather wrapped pirate. Now you look like the other million wannabee pirates, and you head out in packs, whilst pretending to be a bunch of "lone wolves"  Absolutely fekin' hilarious. Don't miss it. Fortunately, as a nation, we are so obsessed with this douche bag drivel that we have many TV shows devoted to it. It's great, a bunch of dentists, cops, and factory workers all dressed as Billy badass, and pretending to be hard case lone wolves. Kind of like play time in kindergarden, but louder.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »
I don't have a primary source... the quote is from http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n18/john-lanchester/short-cuts (published in a real periodical!)

It may be one of those "common knowledge" things that's wrong -- not sure if Apollo viewership is easy to find online
That's good enough for me to use barring someone presenting strong evidence that it's a common false belief. Thanks, that's a useful factoid.

loki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
If you are not a North American, and found that commercial to be fascinating, please take a moment to look at our "Harley culture".  This involves a bunch of middle to elderly ages men who dress up and play a fantasy role, and do so not in obscure little groups, but numbering in the millions.

The object is to purchase a grossly overpriced, technologically obsolete motorcycle that is huge, and loaded with all manners of chrome do-dads, and other bad-assed accoutrements, like skulls and leather tassles. The next requirement is to dress like a retarded, leather wrapped pirate. Now you look like the other million wannabee pirates, and you head out in packs, whilst pretending to be a bunch of "lone wolves"  Absolutely fekin' hilarious. Don't miss it. Fortunately, as a nation, we are so obsessed with this douche bag drivel that we have many TV shows devoted to it. It's great, a bunch of dentists, cops, and factory workers all dressed as Billy badass, and pretending to be hard case lone wolves. Kind of like play time in kindergarden, but louder.

As a North American, this made me snort. :D

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »

Absolutely hilarious, and SPOT ON!  I have two friends who joined the Harley culture.  We used to mountain bike together a lot.  Now they don't pedal anymore, just cruise on their loud-ass chrome-laden machines -- and are circus lady FAT now!  No kidding, each has gained at least 20-25 lbs since purchasing (ahem, financing) their Harleys.  It would be funny it if weren't so sad.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
Just ran across this ad and came here assuming it would already be posted and throughly mocked. It's so hard to imagine anyone watching that and then thinking they want to go buy one. Everything about that ad just makes me far more determined that reasonable house, honda fit, and unlimited time off is the way to go.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »
It is a good commercial because it has caused all of you to talk about the ad and about Cadillac. That is a huge success for any advertiser, regardless of what you are saying about the product.

I'm not ready to buy an Electric Cimarrron, either; Telsa seem much cooler.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 09:56:45 AM »
It is a good commercial because it has caused all of you to talk about the ad and about Cadillac. That is a huge success for any advertiser, regardless of what you are saying about the product.

I'm not ready to buy an Electric Cimarrron, either; Telsa seem much cooler.

I don't define the "goodness" of a commercial in terms of whether it makes money for the advertiser.  I prefer to be entertained with talking geckos and the like.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »

Hilarious.. As a UK expat living here who used to ride really fast superbly engineered Japanese bikes in the UK I look at these heaps of crap and just laugh...

P.s I don't ride anymore.. having fun saving money..:)

Frank

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!