Author Topic: Seen on Next Door  (Read 9881 times)

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
Seen on Next Door
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
A person is complaining about people hanging Beach towels on railings, in the beachside Vacation town I live in.  Crazy!!  There's some debate going on now on the app Next Door. 

I thought this site would relate.  They suggest using the dryers and it is not good curb appeal to have beach towels hanging to dry on the of front "beach house" porchs!

The world has gone mad!

I'm leaving Beach towels out every single day now!

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
Re: Seen on Next Door
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »
I live in a beach town and regularly hang my wetsuit after surfing on my front fence railing. I have been told not to do this and am aware that some who witness this ATROCITY do not view it as benign as myself. Fuck em.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
Horrors!  What's next--surfboards leaning up against the houses? Dune buggys parked on the street?  There might even be--gasp--sand on the doorstep!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 02:52:09 PM »
All good examples of why I'll never voluntarily live in an HOA area.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:52:36 PM »
My community Next Door is a constant source of comedy for me.  I don't know if it has people on there that aren't used to posting in forums or what, but there are a lot of "This is the Last Post I'm ever posting here! Shame on everyone!" flame outs. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
My community Next Door is a constant source of comedy for me.  I don't know if it has people on there that aren't used to posting in forums or what, but there are a lot of "This is the Last Post I'm ever posting here! Shame on everyone!" flame outs.

Haha, it sounds like the Facebook group for my city. It isn’t official although some of the city council members and city staff post there, which is cool. But some of my fellow residents are the whiniest bunch of tattletales I’ve ever encountered outside of the lower elementary school grades. I cannot figure out how they manage to adult.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 08:58:05 AM »

A couple weeks ago, I visited my daughter who lives in an HOA community.
They have two cars, I had a car and my son had a car. two cars to many for the room available.
 No parking in the street at night, her side has a sidewalk, no parking on the side walk.
 We got a warning ticket every night, on one night my daughter parked her car diagonal in the section between
the road and the sidewalk. I woke up when the security guards green lights lit up the ceiling where I was sleeping.
I got up and looked out, I watched the guard take 4 pictures, spend 5 minutes on his phone at the rear of her vehicle,
I think he was reviewing the HOA rule book online, and then he wrote a ticket for parking diagonally!
 There is a soccer field 1 block away with 30 empty spaces, I parked there once, I got a warning ticket, no parking
in the soccer field parking lot at night. Whatever!

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »
Next Door is a great tool to reunite lost dogs with owners. I like it for that.

But, ya, I am mostly amazed by it. More than anything it exposes just how much fear people are constantly living in. If you go by Next Door posts alone you would think I live in a war zone. People are constantly reporting gunfire all over the place. It is a really safe neighborhood though. I honestly do not know what these people are hearing. Maybe folks get drunk and pop off a few shots at a target in their back yard? Dunno.

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:53 AM »
We have a Q Anon nut on our Next Door page.  She's a constant source of amusement - a piece of a candy necklace in on the sidewalk is a dangerous drug, there's a sex trafficking ring on every block, etc. etc.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 11:43:23 AM »
Next Door is a great tool to reunite lost dogs with owners. I like it for that.

But, ya, I am mostly amazed by it. More than anything it exposes just how much fear people are constantly living in. If you go by Next Door posts alone you would think I live in a war zone. People are constantly reporting gunfire all over the place. It is a really safe neighborhood though. I honestly do not know what these people are hearing. Maybe folks get drunk and pop off a few shots at a target in their back yard? Dunno.

I haven't used Next Door but the Facebook moms group in my neighborhood is the WORST. I love my commute, the excellent schools, our nice house, and our safe neighborhood with quiet neighbors. Sometimes the entitlement and disconnect from reality makes me insane though.

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
Check out Best of Next Door on social media for more comedy gold.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 12:16:56 PM »
I see more all caps posts on next door than any other site. I see more AlTeRnAtInG text on reddit, no idea why. Both are annoying.

My next door is a bunch of can you recommend, a sprinkling of lost pets, and in summer complaints about the fireworks. Live in a state where fireworks are legal, deal with fireworks.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
My neighborhood FB page amuses me.  The moderator finally made a rule that you couldn't call out other homeowners by name or address.

We get lots of dire posts warning that there's a car driving slowly down the street.
Many that are terrified of children going door-to-door to sell stuff.

Many lost dogs...including someone who snapped a pic of my dog and posted it.  The dog was sleeping in my/his driveway while I was working on the side of the house.

My favorites, however, are all the items that people post for sale.   So. Much. Junk.  One-year-old washers ("we didn't like the color").  Really expensive couches. It's eye-opening.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 09:52:23 AM »
My neighborhood FB page amuses me.  The moderator finally made a rule that you couldn't call out other homeowners by name or address.

We get lots of dire posts warning that there's a car driving slowly down the street.
Many that are terrified of children going door-to-door to sell stuff.

Many lost dogs...including someone who snapped a pic of my dog and posted it.  The dog was sleeping in my/his driveway while I was working on the side of the house.

My favorites, however, are all the items that people post for sale.   So. Much. Junk.  One-year-old washers ("we didn't like the color").  Really expensive couches. It's eye-opening.

Oh gosh. The thing that makes me bonkers on mine is complaints about all of the traffic (you're free to move somewhere else) and OmG AnoTheR ApARTment ComplEx wOUld JusT RUIN our property values (average rent for a 1 bedroom is like $1000-1200, your property values aren't gonna drop from ~200 people moving into the area and renting).

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
I see more all caps posts on next door than any other site. I see more AlTeRnAtInG text on reddit, no idea why. Both are annoying.

Alternating text is reddit-speak for saying something in an extremely sarcastic tone of voice. Annoying to read but I find it quite effective.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 11:58:40 AM »

Alternating text is reddit-speak for saying something in an extremely sarcastic tone of voice. Annoying to read but I find it quite effective.

Thank you. I mostly find it hard to read, which translates to hard to read. It's nice to know why they do it.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 02:03:22 AM »

Not all HOAs are bad. Mine isn't. I really don't like having to pay the HOA fee (it's actually cheap for the area, it's the principle of it), but the nice thing about my HOA is people complaining/social pressure from certain neighbors is the worst it gets. My HOA actually has no fangs/power to enforce anything other than trying to get you to pay your HOA fee. They have zero ability to enforce the rest of the covenants. The uptight people can complain to the HOA, but the HOA can do nothing about it. I keep under the covenants to not stir the pot, but there's definitely neighbors here who don't care. Like the ones with the garish bright blue painted house that the paint was distinctly NOT approved by the HOA.

Don't plan to stay here forever, partly because I don't like HOAs and partly because I want more space. The houses in this neighborhood are too close together for my liking. But the HOA issue at least is tolerable.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 05:40:29 AM »

Not all HOAs are bad. Mine isn't. I really don't like having to pay the HOA fee (it's actually cheap for the area, it's the principle of it), but the nice thing about my HOA is people complaining/social pressure from certain neighbors is the worst it gets. My HOA actually has no fangs/power to enforce anything other than trying to get you to pay your HOA fee. They have zero ability to enforce the rest of the covenants. The uptight people can complain to the HOA, but the HOA can do nothing about it. I keep under the covenants to not stir the pot, but there's definitely neighbors here who don't care. Like the ones with the garish bright blue painted house that the paint was distinctly NOT approved by the HOA.

Don't plan to stay here forever, partly because I don't like HOAs and partly because I want more space. The houses in this neighborhood are too close together for my liking. But the HOA issue at least is tolerable.

You're luckier than some.  In some areas the HOA can force the owner to repaint the house or fine them.  And if they don't pay the fines they can seize the house after the courts get involved.   

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 07:36:35 AM »
More than anything it exposes just how much fear people are constantly living in. If you go by Next Door posts alone you would think I live in a war zone. People are constantly reporting gunfire all over the place. It is a really safe neighborhood though. I honestly do not know what these people are hearing. Maybe folks get drunk and pop off a few shots at a target in their back yard? Dunno.

Unhinged rants about "taking back our neighborhood" abound on our Nextdoor (which we joined for helping reunite people with their pets), even though it's a very safe area. There's also a woman with a habit of posting suspicious person reports any time she spots someone who isn't white, and then she becomes combative when others point out that nothing she witnessed was actually suspicious. She lives in a racially diverse area but was apparently unaware of that when she moved here.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »

You're luckier than some.  In some areas the HOA can force the owner to repaint the house or fine them.  And if they don't pay the fines they can seize the house after the courts get involved.

And that's pure insanity. I can't believe anybody would volunteer to pay for a home they dont actually own. And make no mistake, if you live in such an HOA you don't own your home, the HOA does which is why they can foreclose on you for not paying a petty fine from letting your grass grow too long.

As I am not shy about saying, if you support such a thing, you're a terrible human being. If it were truly a choice, I would be fine with it. By choice I mean equal ability to buy into an equivalent property with or without an HOA.

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »
More than anything it exposes just how much fear people are constantly living in. If you go by Next Door posts alone you would think I live in a war zone. People are constantly reporting gunfire all over the place. It is a really safe neighborhood though. I honestly do not know what these people are hearing. Maybe folks get drunk and pop off a few shots at a target in their back yard? Dunno.

Unhinged rants about "taking back our neighborhood" abound on our Nextdoor (which we joined for helping reunite people with their pets), even though it's a very safe area. There's also a woman with a habit of posting suspicious person reports any time she spots someone who isn't white, and then she becomes combative when others point out that nothing she witnessed was actually suspicious. She lives in a racially diverse area but was apparently unaware of that when she moved here.

As far as I can tell, the primary function of Nextdoor is for people to post suspicious *BEAR* reports, because I live in that kind of town.  That, and your usual petty neighborhood squabbles.

It's all pretty banal.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 07:46:32 AM »

Every once in a while I see posts about "suspicious people". The best one I remember is someone posting about a strange vehicle seen driving through the neighborhood, and then a string of comments that alternated between very reasonable it's not illegal to drive through the neighborhood type and increasingly unhinged pronouncements about a right to protect oneself. That one actually ended with someone openly declaring that they had a gun and would shoot to kill to protect themselves, followed by a post by someone who I'm about 99% sure works for the local police department (I looked it up) that just said our state actually didn't have the stand your ground law.

All over a single vehicle driving through a neighborhood.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
Wholly unreasonable people are so entertaining. (half-sarcasm)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »
I’m new to all of this but recently joined one of the neighborhood group chats. In the past two weeks, there had been a lengthy discussion as to whether dog owners should be required to pick up their dog’s poop and take it home to throw away, which has included a petition for everyone to take pictures of the offenders (who don’t pick up poop) and post them in the group to shame them, and how everyone should speak to their ayi/servants to ensure they follow the rules. It’s quite tiresome.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 02:13:35 AM »
I'm staging a house that we've spent the last year remodeling. Almost everything has come from thrift stores and Next Door. It's super useful and much easier to pick up things locally. I have gotten some screaming deals and won't be surprised if I get most of my money back once the house sells. Of course, I'll be offering it to the buyer for a reasonable amount extra. We shall see...

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »

Every once in a while I see posts about "suspicious people". The best one I remember is someone posting about a strange vehicle seen driving through the neighborhood, and then a string of comments that alternated between very reasonable it's not illegal to drive through the neighborhood type and increasingly unhinged pronouncements about a right to protect oneself. That one actually ended with someone openly declaring that they had a gun and would shoot to kill to protect themselves, followed by a post by someone who I'm about 99% sure works for the local police department (I looked it up) that just said our state actually didn't have the stand your ground law.

All over a single vehicle driving through a neighborhood.

I was talking to my cousin the other day.  He related that one of his neighbors called the police on two men driving suspiciously through the neighborhood.  Turns out it was anther neighbor teaching his teenage son how to drive.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
My favorite thread was from a couple of weeks ago.  Someone posted a picture of a 26 foot box truck with police department stickers and big letters "BODY RECOVERY SERVICE" on the side.  Several posts were made theorizing about that intersection has had some bad car wrecks previously or imagining many dark theories about the nearby houses.  Then someone pointed out the front sticker (Founding fathers of America)...its a prop from the next Purge movie that they are filming here. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
NOPE. won't be watching that movie. The trailer was enough...

BFive55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
I’m new to all of this but recently joined one of the neighborhood group chats. In the past two weeks, there had been a lengthy discussion as to whether dog owners should be required to pick up their dog’s poop and take it home to throw away, which has included a petition for everyone to take pictures of the offenders (who don’t pick up poop) and post them in the group to shame them, and how everyone should speak to their ayi/servants to ensure they follow the rules. It’s quite tiresome.

That's actually pretty reasonable. My HOA required that. And thank god they did. Plenty of people would run through the common areas or off the sidewalks. I don't want to step on dog crap the owner didn't want to pick up. My HOA also put out stations that had thick plastic scooper bags.

But yeah, you should pick up after your dog if it's not in your yard.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 08:11:13 AM »

I figured everyone agreed that leaving poop behind was irresponsible until I started walking my dog in a wooded area.
The only explanation I've heard is that "it's natural", but this is easily disproved.
https://www.aaha.org/publications/newstat/articles/2018-05/does-a-bear-poop-in-the-woods-yes-but-your-dog-shouldnt/

Are there any other explanations, other than they know it's wrong but they're lazy?

SteadyDoinIt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »

I figured everyone agreed that leaving poop behind was irresponsible until I started walking my dog in a wooded area.
The only explanation I've heard is that "it's natural", but this is easily disproved.
https://www.aaha.org/publications/newstat/articles/2018-05/does-a-bear-poop-in-the-woods-yes-but-your-dog-shouldnt/

Are there any other explanations, other than they know it's wrong but they're lazy?

How many other animals (raccoons, squirrels, opossums, cats, birds, insects, etc, etc) relieve themselves on your lawn? I see no problem with it. If you so choose, it takes as long to pick up as it does to pull a weed. Minor inconvenience at worst.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 06:08:04 AM »

How many other animals (raccoons, squirrels, opossums, cats, birds, insects, etc, etc) relieve themselves on your lawn? I see no problem with it. If you so choose, it takes as long to pick up as it does to pull a weed. Minor inconvenience at worst.

That’s fine, but if your dog poops on the streets sidewalks were I run, you will be cursed by me.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
How many other animals (raccoons, squirrels, opossums, cats, birds, insects, etc, etc) relieve themselves on your lawn? I see no problem with it.

Bingo, maybe that's where we're on different pages. I assumed we all knew that dog poop is not the same as wild animals'.
Please read the following info, it'll take <10min.
https://smea.uw.edu/about/student-blog/blog/scoop-the-poop-its-your-environmental-doody-pun-intended/

TLDR:
1) Wild animals disperse their poop throughout acres --- Pets are taken to the same areas, poop is concentrated in areas where people live and play (concentration of bacteria)
2) Wild animals eat from the same ecosystem they’re a part of --- Pets eat pre-made food, with nutrients designed to provide them with a complete and healthy diet, the excess nutrients are pooped out (like nitrogen and phosphorus, which ends up in the water)

Pets ≠ Wild Animals

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »
If you so choose, it takes as long to pick up as it does to pull a weed. Minor inconvenience at worst.

Wait, I should pick up your dogs poop if it bothers me? Why aren't you responsible for your own trash?
What are your thoughts on "No one wants to pick up your dog's poop more than you."?