Author Topic: School.bans $1000 winter coats  (Read 7190 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
School.bans $1000 winter coats
« on: November 17, 2018, 01:02:24 AM »
https://www.scarymommy.com/school-bans-expensive-winter-coats/?utm_source=FB

A school in the UK banned several brands of crazy expensive winter coats.  So many questions. First how could anyone in their right mind spend that much for a kid''s coat -particularly as the UK is hardly Siberia. Second, is this a private school? My kids are at public school and no one has that kind of money for clothes. Third, what about those parents who already bought a pricey coat or who got one as a hand me down?  Do they now have to go out and buy another coat?

Do you think this fancy coat ban will actually work or will the rich kids find another way to shame the normal.kids?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:06:02 AM by Hula Hoop »

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: School.bans $1000 winter coats
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:28:00 AM »
These super expensive coats have been fashionable for a few years now. I see many kids wearing them in my area and I have no idea how they can afford spending €800-1000 on a coat while many families around here only have an income of around €1500-2000.

Although, actually I have a good idea how those boys pay for those coats and it's not by stacking shelves in the grocery store for a year. Brand name clothes are a huge status symbol in poor areas. They all want to make it big like their favourite rappers did. On one hand I really admire the ambitions of these kids, they are certainly very driven to become FI just like we are, but there should be more guidance to help them stay on the right side of the law. In the short term crime is easy money, but in the long term it's not.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »
We live in the "bad neighborhood" in our city ie. a highly immigrant area with lots of poverty and a fair amount of drugs.  I seriously never see those coats on kids around here and I live really close to two high schools.  Maybe it's a Dutch thing?  Italian and Italian immigrant kids in this area just want to look like their friends and their friends are all wearing clothes from fast fashion stores like H&M.  I have seen the Moncler coats (I had no idea they were so expensive though!!) on both kids and adults in the richer areas of our town though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:03:43 AM by Hula Hoop »

NevermindScrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • At least weird is not boring
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:14:00 AM »
What a story, I’m still not sure what to think. Well, I know that I personally find it ridiculous to spend so much money on clothing, regardless of how long it will be wearable or how useful it is in a temperate climate.
What I’m not sure about is whether the school should tell parents (or kids) what to buy as I think it’s very patronising, on the other hand, it can perhaps help. Although kids being kids, if they don’t like you they’ll find something to bully you with. If you’re not poor, then it will be your name, a physical feature or where you’re from.

Some of those brands I haven’t even heard from, but one of those was in the news a few months ago. Apparently the Dutch police would stop youngsters in the street if they were wearing this one brand because it would be highly unlikely that they paid for it with honestly earned cash. This caused an outrage of course, especially as young men of northern African descent appeared to be targeted. I cannot find the article anymore, if I’m misinformed then I apologise.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »
A friend of mine has a Canada Goose parka--the logo is obvious and readily identifiable. So when I mentioned it, she said, "Oh, it's not real--just a cheap knock-off." In the case of schoolchildren, how would you know whether they're wearing the real deal or not? Or what if it were a hand-me-down from a wealthier relative or something. Or what if they got it second-hand? For heaven's sake, just have some kind of reasonable dress code if that's what the school wants to do, but trying to police clothing to this level is just silly.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
Could be it's a Dutch thing that these coats are worn by young boys from lower social background - Dutch gangster rappers wear this kind of stuff, so the kids who want the expensive coats are the kids who listen to that type of music. I guess most posh kids don't want to look like that - I'm sure they have their own expensive fashion but I have to admit I don't know a lot of rich kids.

I get the impression that for today's teenagers brand name clothes are much more important for boys than for girls - for girls as long as you look attractive the price tag doesn't seem to matter much. I grew up rurally so I have no idea if it was always like that in the city. In my village everyone was uncool.

I've also heard about the police checking owners of these coats. They also do this with young guys in very expensive cars. Legally it's dubious and bordering on ethnic profiling, on the other hand those 'patser' checks (patser is Dutch for someone who's flashing money around) are one of the most effective ways for the police to get an idea who's involved with crime, even if it doesn't lead to  convictions. We have a lot of drug crime in our country but it's fairly invisible because it's not on our streets, most of it is exported. The angle of unexplained wealth and unpaid taxes is a common way to get to these gangs if other crimes can't be proven.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Dutch gangster rappers

Three words I've never seen written together before!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
Dutch gangster rappers

I want to hear some of this. Is it more of a Falco-ish tradition or an across-the-ocean tradition?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
Good for that school! I hate these coats with such a passion, even aside from the price. The ones with the shiny black puffy coat and fur collar/hood (I think those are the Moncler ones) make me think of a toxic oil spill with dead animals floating in it. And if someone with one of those Canada Goose coats sits next to you on the subway, half the time you end up with them rubbing fur on your ear/neck/shoulder because they are so oversized and "luxurious". Fur generally reads to me as "dead animal", so it completely squicks me out. This fashion trend can't end soon enough for so many reasons...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »
The angle of unexplained wealth and unpaid taxes is a common way to get to these gangs if other crimes can't be proven.

The Americans got Al Capone on tax charges.  It is a reliable tactic.

Loro-rojo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:15:07 AM »
I disagree with banning the coats.

Yesterday I was watching a news segment on CBS/ABC/NBC about this same new story.  The reporters were saying that the expensive winter coats were banned in order to stop wealthy children from "poor shaming" other children.

Other people will have more than you.  Get over it. 

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 07:52:08 AM »
Having been one of those poorer children, it's not something as simple as "look at my expensive coat", it's systemic bullying and harassment.

When I was 14 I knew a girl who was getting into modeling - as in, flying to Milan and Paris for the meat-market tryouts. (I shudder now that I know what that must have been like.) She knew all the haute couture labels, and wore them, but wasn't mean about it, it was just what she wore.

Other kids were just brutally cruel about labels. Now I just laugh, but then? That shit messed me up for years.

I don't know if banning those coats will actually have the desired effect - stopping bullying can turn into a game of whack-a-mole if the parents aren't willing to enforce decent behavior. And where do you think the little darlings learn it?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
This is extremely weird.  Both parents buying their kids such outrageously expensive coats, and banning of specific clothing brands in a school.

I guess my schools were semi-homogeneous growing up (upper-middle-class white suburbia with our fair share of "rich kids").  I don't remember brand or cost of clothes being talked about at all, ever.  Maybe with the exception of North Face jackets being distinct and known to be expensive.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
Huh. I don't know that it will achieve the intended outcome - some kids are always going to have more money than others, and kids are always going to know who the rich and poor kids are. But since both parents and kids seem generally supportive of the ban, I don't really see a problem either. Although I would be annoyed as a parent if my kid had saved up her summer job earnings to buy one or something and now I had to get her a new coat.

PloddingInsight

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
Seems like a missed opportunity.  They should charge the students $50 a week to wear their $1000 coat to school.  If you've got money to blow shouldn't more of it be funneled into a good cause like education?  Let the kids show off their coats, and make the school system a little money while you're at it. Seems like a win-win.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
what about those parents who already bought a pricey coat or who got one as a hand me down?  Do they now have to go out and buy another coat?

Oh yes, I feel super bad for all of those parents who bought their kids $1k coats because now they will have to go buy $60 coats instead.  The hardship!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »
I disagree with banning the coats.

Yesterday I was watching a news segment on CBS/ABC/NBC about this same new story.  The reporters were saying that the expensive winter coats were banned in order to stop wealthy children from "poor shaming" other children.

Other people will have more than you.  Get over it.

And quite frankly: who has more money is OBVIOUS. If you have a problem with rich kids shaming poor kids, you have a culture problem and a rich-snotty-brats-not-being-taught-basic-social-skills problem. Which can be fixed, but not by ALSO giving them an excuse to say something like 'I can't even wear my *expensive coat* and it's because people like YOU don't have them'.

If people are behaving badly, addressing the behavior is probably more likely to get the desired outcome. AKA: deal with the bullying, don't blame the damned coats.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
Dutch gangster rappers

I want to hear some of this. Is it more of a Falco-ish tradition or an across-the-ocean tradition?

You asked for this, don't blame me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ue1kHhsymI 

The pufffy red and yellow jackets are Moncler coats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxz04H2xS3c
I grew up with old school Dutch rap like this. Their coats are also much more mustachian.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
I don't think banning the coats does anything to solve the problems. Those coats are ridiculous in climates where they aren't really needed, but rich kids have lots of other subtle ways to show off their wealth, and this won't change that. Maybe a campaign to donate coats to kids who can't afford them would have been more useful.

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.  Canada Goose coats are very warm, and they last forever.  If I lived somewhere with a harsh winter, I would probably have one, and my hypothetical children might as well, especially if there were walking to school/the bus stop.
In addition to preventing parents from making their own decisions about their kids' coats, this will also do absolutely nothing to prevent bullying.  Stopping kids from wearing expensive coats isn't going to magically make them forget who the poor kids are and stop picking on them.  They'll just find something else to bully them for.
I can't imagine that any rational person looks at this situation and thinks, "gosh, a smart decision was made here." 
My mind is boggled that this level of idiocy exists.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
I'm not a parent and all I can say is, THANK GOD FOR THAT! Seriously kids are asking for $1000 coats? When I was in college 10 years ago everyone was wearing North Face jackets and I didn't because I thought that $200 was a lot for a coat, I was happy with a $50 one my mom found (and that I am still wearing though it's started to get holes in some pockets).

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
I find banning coats to be mind boggling also. Why were coats selected? What about everything else kids are wearing/bringing to school? Who is enforcing this? Hey Timmy, how much did you pay for that haircut? Sorry, that was too much. You'll have to get your head shaved now.

Doesn't anyone believe in freedom anymore?

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
There's a much greater chance I would snicker at someone wearing an expensive coat than someone wearing a cheap one.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't be able to reliably tell you which is which though.

I think its a silly decision for the same reason others mentioned above.  Why ban a coat?  How about shoes, backpacks, smart watches, phones, or whatever other brand device/thing/wearable is out there?

Do they want to institute school uniforms?  OK, then do that.   This piecemeal effort won't solve anything.

Frankly, as a kid I'd be worried about losing anything that was ridiculously expensive, others messing with it, whatever.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
Let me come to the defence of Canada Goose jackets, if only because they are made in the city where I live. For the benefit of the Italian(s) on this forum, this is a city where my kids' elementary school has a policy that recess takes place indoors when the temperature is less than minus 30 Celsius. At minus 29, recess is outdoors. This is the climate they are made for. My kids had Canada Goose snowsuits when they were quite young.

It is silly to wear a jacket like this in England. Plus 4 Celsius does not require two dead geese and part of a dead coyote. In that context, it is the clothing equivalent of the Chelsey tractor.

What I don't understand is how an Italian even knows the brand. Please tell me that people don't wear down parkas in Italy just because they are trendy?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 02:08:15 AM »

I think its a silly decision for the same reason others mentioned above.  Why ban a coat?  How about shoes, backpacks, smart watches, phones, or whatever other brand device/thing/wearable is out there?

Do they want to institute school uniforms?  OK, then do that.   This piecemeal effort won't solve anything.

Frankly, as a kid I'd be worried about losing anything that was ridiculously expensive, others messing with it, whatever.

In the UK schools already have uniforms and all the other items you name are all regulated. I'm not surprised they choose to regulate coats as well.

@Kashmani yes, these coats are the height of fashion in Europe right now. In my country it doesn't really get any colder than -15C zo no one needs a coat this warm. I totally understand spending $$$ when you live in a place where -30C is a normal winter temperature in the same way that some people need to use offroad vehicles because of where they live.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 06:01:24 AM »
It is silly to wear a jacket like this in England. Plus 4 Celsius does not require two dead geese and part of a dead coyote. In that context, it is the clothing equivalent of the Chelsey tractor.

What I don't understand is how an Italian even knows the brand. Please tell me that people don't wear down parkas in Italy just because they are trendy?

Not Italian (I'm an American living in Italy) but I assume that you were talking to me as I'm the OP?  I know the brand because yes, I see Italians wearing both Canada Goose and Moncler jackets all the time (Canada Goose, Moncler and Pyrenex were the three pricey jacket brands that were banned by the British school).  TBH I'd never heard of Pyrenex but I'm not up on the latest brands. In fact, I believe Moncler is an Italian brand. 

It's completely insane to wear any kind of down jacket in our climate but they are fashionable and Italians are really wimpy about cold.  I'm usually in a wool jacket all winter long as IMO this is the perfect warmth for the climate here.

As I said in my OP and as you also pointed out - the UK climate is also mild so these coats are completely unnecessary there. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:04:44 AM by Hula Hoop »

partdopy

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
I think the anti-mustachian thing here is banning something to avoid making other people 'feel bad'.

These people need to realize that is how the real world works, everything isn't fair, and go work hard for what they want in life as (most) of the people who can afford this jackets did.

If it offends you this much, save $1k and buy your own.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
I think the anti-mustachian thing here is banning something to avoid making other people 'feel bad'.

These people need to realize that is how the real world works, everything isn't fair, and go work hard for what they want in life as (most) of the people who can afford this jackets did.

If it offends you this much, save $1k and buy your own.

Yeah what is the next step? A full inventory of closet being sent to the school along with price paid, and the school will decide which things are allowed to be worn?

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
To me it is an obvious sign someone is from Stockholm if I see a Canada Goose jacket. I come from the northern parts of Sweden that are colder and snowier than Stockholm but we were happy with just regular winter clothes and never really got why they were wearing down jackets when it wasn't even that cold. We thought they were ridiculous and it was like they thought they had gone to the north pole or something. Down jackets in England is even more stupid.

Despite that I am not the type to believe in forbidding clothes that are not dangerous or out right offensive so this is not really my thing.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
I have a bunch of down jackets.  The most expensive one was nearly $500 and is an expedition weight parka I bought to climb Denali in.  I cannot imagine why anyone would need such a jacket for ordinary city life. 

My regular daily winter wear down parka was $75 from the REI clearance rack.  It is awesome.  I have seen $800 parkas sold at Feathered Friends but these are serious tools for a niche audience, not daily wear items.  I have to believe that a $1000 down jacket sold to city folks is just another version of the $50 gucci t-shirt, a ridiculously overpriced status symbol to show that you are willing to waste money on silly things.

I spent two seasons at a deep field camp in Antarctica, and was issued a USARP expedition polar explorers jacket in bright red, with my name on it.  I'm assuming the Canada Goose jackets are similar, maybe even the same thing.  I hated that thing.  It was far too heavy for the warmth it provided, and it was hard to move in.  I only wore mine while flushing the drill rig, because it was the one piece of gear I didn't mind getting sprayed with high pressure antifreeze.  It was the kind of thing I imagine a tow truck driver in Barrow Alaska might wear, for standing around in -40 all day and then working on greasy machinery.  It was about as far from a status symbol as I can imagine.

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
Let me come to the defence of Canada Goose jackets, if only because they are made in the city where I live. For the benefit of the Italian(s) on this forum, this is a city where my kids' elementary school has a policy that recess takes place indoors when the temperature is less than minus 30 Celsius. At minus 29, recess is outdoors. This is the climate they are made for. My kids had Canada Goose snowsuits when they were quite young.

We live in the same city and I know people who work for Canada Goose. I also travel to Europe frequently. I bought a similar jacket within the last coupe of years and was just wearing a pretty basic coat for our winters before. I should have bought the jacket years ago. With that said, yes, people in Europe buy these things in climates that I comfortably walked around in a peacoat and a scarf. I have to unbutton my jacket soon after getting in a -40C car because it gets too hot, I have no idea how they do it in climates slightly below 0.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »

We live in the same city and I know people who work for Canada Goose. I also travel to Europe frequently. I bought a similar jacket within the last coupe of years and was just wearing a pretty basic coat for our winters before. I should have bought the jacket years ago. With that said, yes, people in Europe buy these things in climates that I comfortably walked around in a peacoat and a scarf. I have to unbutton my jacket soon after getting in a -40C car because it gets too hot, I have no idea how they do it in climates slightly below 0.

OK we in America's Penisland get it. Your blood is more viscous than molasses.

It's fun watching y'all Canadians sweat it out in anything over 75F (23C) in Central/South FL. Meanwhile it takes 90F/32C for me and my outdoorsy neighbors to break a sweat.

Anyone wearing a NorthFace or CanadaGoose or any of them puffy jackets in our "winter" is either a poseur, a rich dumb kid who goes to private school (maybe up north), or both.

But seriously, I've seen some of these French/Belgian/Dutch rapper videos, with sunny skies in the ghetto, and huge jackets, shoes with laces untied... like dude WTF, where's the safety if you got to run. And then there's always someone in the background wearing a light jacket or sweater or even a Tshirt and showing skin. Sometimes the girls/ladies/dancers are skimpily dressed. Makes me think they have bigger cojones than the wankstas.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:32:31 PM by jinga nation »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »
Dutch gangster rappers

You asked for this, don't blame me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ue1kHhsymI 

The pufffy red and yellow jackets are Moncler coats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxz04H2xS3c
I grew up with old school Dutch rap like this. Their coats are also much more mustachian.

All those Euros and not one single dance lesson.

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 08:06:37 AM »

OK we in America's Penisland get it. Your blood is more viscous than molasses.

It's fun watching y'all Canadians sweat it out in anything over 75F (23C) in Central/South FL. Meanwhile it takes 90F/32C for me and my outdoorsy neighbors to break a sweat.

Anyone wearing a NorthFace or CanadaGoose or any of them puffy jackets in our "winter" is either a poseur, a rich dumb kid who goes to private school (maybe up north), or both.

But seriously, I've seen some of these French/Belgian/Dutch rapper videos, with sunny skies in the ghetto, and huge jackets, shoes with laces untied... like dude WTF, where's the safety if you got to run. And then there's always someone in the background wearing a light jacket or sweater or even a Tshirt and showing skin. Sometimes the girls/ladies/dancers are skimpily dressed. Makes me think they have bigger cojones than the wankstas.

Among my friends I'm the most "fair weather" of the bunch and would most closely match your description. Anything North of 25C is too hot for me. But they all love 30C+, I think they're nuts. Our city actually has the widest climate range in north America. From -40C in the winter which can last a few weeks to high 30Cs in the summer.

Back on topic, though. I'm against public institutions extending their reach on telling people what they can and cannot have. That's a slippery slope. Protecting feelings of jealousy? Preposterous.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »
Back on topic, though. I'm against public institutions extending their reach on telling people what they can and cannot have. That's a slippery slope. Protecting feelings of jealousy? Preposterous.

They're not telling people what they can and cannot have, they are telling them what they can and cannot wear at school.  All schools have dress codes.  You can't wear a T-shirt that says "FUCK THE POLICE".  My daughter can't wear a skirt that is shorter than her fingertips with arms hanging down.  My son isn't allowed to wear his pants below the bottom of his buttocks.

These rules are in place to support the learning environment.  Teenage girls can' have their tits out in social studies, so the school makes rules about what types of clothing are permitted in the classroom and which are not.  It's not a slippery slope, it's necessary for the education to happen.  I also don't think it's "presposterous" to protect the feeling of kids who are being actively targeted by gangs who roll up only one pant leg to signify membership (also banned at school) or all wear leather jackets or red bandanas or other gang signs.

Schools are not the real world.  You voluntarily cede all kinds of right when you walk into a school, including the right to wear whatever you want.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
I think it is interesting. I'm not sure where I stand, but I think schools have a lot of latitude in dress codes, etc enforcement. They make the rules. It is a learning environment, not a fashion show. Students have little rights in school.

Down is WARM. I moved to NC and my old wool coat finally wore out, down was in so I bought a down coat from Lands End. When I got it I realized it was way too warm for this for this climate, returned and got a lighter weight down coat. And still I can only wear the thing like 5 days a year in this climate, so I end up wearing a fleece jacket 90% of the time even though it is not moisture, wind resistant.

A similar peer pressure happened for my niece. Wow the peer pressure is REAL. The girls she hung out with all wore Uggs, and people who wore "knock off" boots like white mountain were ridiculed. She begged for the boots which my brother thought was insane (they are $200 and were likely to outgrow them). It was so important to her she forgo any other gift, and asked relatives for cash for xmas so any money could be applied to that. So, she got her boots. Fast forward a few more years, she's no longer friends with that group (who were Christian with a big C), and is a vegetarian environmentalist who doesn't wear animal products.   

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:30:14 AM by partgypsy »

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »
Do you think this fancy coat ban will actually work or will the rich kids find another way to shame the normal.kids?

They can still shame the normal kids with their fancy $900 coats.

My public school would ban us from having certain expensive things because other students would steal or destroy them. A $1000 coat wouldn't make it a week at my old school.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »

... Italians are really wimpy about cold.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
School uniform should be universal, and from designated uniform stores. I grew up that way, and it makes sense.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
I'm a Canadian and I spent $800 CAN on an equivalent brand. Yes that's expensive but I will probably never have to buy another winter coat as long as I live. I bought it specifically when I saw someone complain in a review that it kept them too warm.

Even if I only face a few days at -20 degrees weather, it can keep me alive, if the public transit system breaks down, or if I have a reason to be outside of the city in winter, and of course, comfort. Some years there are prolonged cold snaps. And I get cold. The coat is good for -40 degrees, but probably only for "normal" people. Skinny people like me need a heavier coat.

I thought Mustachianism wasn't about not spending money at all, but about spending money only on things that are important or necessary. If someone is buying a heavy winter coat just for the sake of fashion, that is anti-mustachian behavior, but I wouldn't attack the coats themselves. (I'll be happy to tell you my coat is not fashionable. Frankly, I had hoped it would be fatter. I wouldn't mind looking like the Michelin Man. I'm interested in warmth, not "looking trim".)

I could have bought a musk ox underwool sweater for $4,000. That would also keep me warm, but unlike the coat, you can't wear it day after day, and also... it costs five times as much. (Also not fashionable, not that I care about that.)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 07:59:05 PM »
Damn, thanks to this thread I really want a Canada Goose jacket.....but holy shit...$1125 for a jacket!?!?!

They look nice and warm.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2018, 03:34:39 AM »
First how could anyone in their right mind spend that much for a kid''s coat -particularly as the UK is hardly Siberia. Second, is this a private school?

No - not a private school and this is not a wealthy area of the country. I went to school 30+ years ago not too far away from there and at that time it was kids wearing stupidly expensive trainers and boots that was a thing and the school ended up banning Adidas shoes. A lot of schools have school uniform policies for exactly this kind of reason and a lot of schools here will ban specific items if it turns into a problem as it seems to have done here. Ugg boots were an issue for a lot of schools a few years back. Must have been a slow news day for this to be a story.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!