Author Topic: Scene from a car-clown circus  (Read 11950 times)

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
Scene from a car-clown circus
« on: April 12, 2016, 07:48:04 PM »
The other day, I had to go out on an unavoidable car errand. When I got back to my spot in the parking lot, another car was parked so close to mine that I could barely get in. I had to open the front door just a crack and squeeze into the driver's seat.

The car next to mine was a black Jeep Grand Cherokee, a beast of an SUV the size of an army tank, capable of carrying a dozen people easily. It was so big it barely fit in the parking spot, that's why it was so close. It was idling in the parking spot, V8 engine running, and a woman was sitting by herself in the driver's seat. On her phone. Texting.

All I could think of was the absurdity of it. Bad enough to own such a useless, low-mileage vehicle for actual driving. But to have two tons of metal, burning through a giant tank of gasoline and emitting smog, all just to cradle a single person while they type on their phone. I can only imagine how many years that woman is adding to her working career...

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
Re: Scene from a car-clown circus
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
Yeah, stuff like that really gets me fired up...so I'm with you.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 08:39:50 PM »
That's one of the joys of driving a beater, particularly one that's covered in hail damage. 

In circumstances like that, I don't give a damn whether my car door hits the other car or not.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
That's one of the joys of driving a beater, particularly one that's covered in hail damage. 

In circumstances like that, I don't give a damn whether my car door hits the other car or not.

Seriously?

I have nothing else remotely polite to say, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »

Seriously?

another car was parked so close to mine that I could barely get in.

If you park like an asshole, you get treated like an asshole.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 01:03:44 AM »

Seriously?

That still shouldn't mean you intentionally damage someone else's property, clown car or nay.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 06:20:25 AM »

Seriously?

That still shouldn't mean you intentionally damage someone else's property, clown car or nay.

+1

Two wrongs don't make a right people. There is no reason to be a complete a**hole and ding someone else's car on purpose.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:07:59 AM »
People who "park like an asshole" often do it because the person next to them (who possibly has left by then) did it first...

As long as I'm within the lines, I consider my parking to be fine.  But if everyone is directly next to the line, you still can't open the doors, for instance.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
I park far enough away that I never have to worry about it. But I still park within the lines.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 07:35:05 AM »
I park far enough away that I never have to worry about it. But I still park within the lines.

Off topic but this made me think about an experience last night watching several cars waiting in my gym's parking lot for the spots closest to the doors to become available. All of these spots were standard, non-handicapped spots BTW.

There were two cars basically fighting over one spot as I walked in last night. I got a good chuckle out of the irony.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
I used to get upset when someone parked really close to my car.  My husband (the Saint of Patience) has taught me to park as far away from cars as possible.  He will park 100's of yards from the door just to avoid other cars.  Make sure you have comfortable shoes, appropriate dress and an umbrella in your car.  We cannot control inconsiderate people that do not respect other's property or have parked poorly.  It's very liberating to control the situation even if it feels like you cannot. 

It takes me about 10 mins to walk to the door at work.  I'm at least 200 yards away in a parking lot that no one uses except the really nice cars who have followed my lead. 

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:10:45 AM »
I used to get upset when someone parked really close to my car.  My husband (the Saint of Patience) has taught me to park as far away from cars as possible.  He will park 100's of yards from the door just to avoid other cars.  Make sure you have comfortable shoes, appropriate dress and an umbrella in your car.  We cannot control inconsiderate people that do not respect other's property or have parked poorly.  It's very liberating to control the situation even if it feels like you cannot. 

It takes me about 10 mins to walk to the door at work.  I'm at least 200 yards away in a parking lot that no one uses except the really nice cars who have followed my lead.

I love doing what you describe. Lets me get a nice walk (twice!) and avoids the logjam of cars up in the front, allowing for an easier exit come quitting time.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 08:21:33 AM »
Our mall has signs at the far end of the parking lot: "Heart Healthy Parking"

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
I like parking far away from the entrance, and noticing if I make inside before those who are driving around or waiting for closer spot! Most of the time I make into the building first - and usually my small child is walking with me too so we're not going fast.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »

Seriously?

+1

Two wrongs don't make a right people. There is no reason to be a complete a**hole and ding someone else's car on purpose.
There's a difference between dinging someone's car on purpose, and letting your door hit theirs because there is no other way.

I'll be damned if I'm going to go in the passenger side if I cannot get into my car.  If the only way to squeeze in is for my door to touch theirs, so be it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »

Seriously?

+1

There's a difference between dinging someone's car on purpose, and letting your door hit theirs because there is no other way.

I'll be damned if I'm going to go in the passenger side if I cannot get into my car.  If the only way to squeeze in is for my door to touch theirs, so be it.

There's also a difference between letting your door touch another car and letting it "hit" another car. One implies caution, while the other implies disregard.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 02:34:07 PM »
There's also a difference between letting your door touch another car and letting it "hit" another car. One implies caution, while the other implies disregard.

"Disregard" is a two-way street. If you don't want people to dent your car, you shouldn't park right up against theirs in the first place!

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »
Whole lotta hate here today...

Yep, the hate here is strong.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »
For two weeks straight this guy parked approximately 2 inches from my door. I had enough and slammed my door as hard as I could in to his car. I couldn't even see a knick where I had hit it but it bent up my door edge and stretched it so even hammer and dollying it back will leave a nice ripple. Karma for my behavior, I guess. Now I just mutter under my breath!

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 03:35:06 PM »
But to have two tons of metal,

Actually more like 2.5 tons and up. They are surprisingly heavy for the size.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
Now I just mutter under my breath!

Sure you're not English? ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 03:39:44 PM »
All I could think of was the absurdity of it. Bad enough to own such a useless, low-mileage vehicle for actual driving. But to have two tons of metal, burning through a giant tank of gasoline and emitting smog, all just to cradle a single person while they type on their phone. I can only imagine how many years that woman is adding to her working career...

Not much.

It says that the average car uses about 0.15 gallons of fuel per hour of idling. That's about 45 cents' worth of gas. If you do that once a day for 250 days a year, that's $112.50 a year at $3 a gallon.

So an hour a day for 250 days costs $112.50.  Maybe it's $150 in a bigger car like a Jeep.

So yeah, you can say it's wasteful, and you're not really wrong, but it's immaterial in terms of $$$.  It's certainly not adding YEARS to someone's career.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=idling%20car%20gas%20usage

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »
You can always just fold in the side view mirrors. It's an asshole move without having to intentionally damage someone else's personal property...

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
Ah, don't discount the upside of driving a beater car. I once had an odd, but generally harmless employee who drove a car that seemed to stay together out of habit. He shows up for work one morning, and was all smiles, well at least the few remaining teeth seemed to be smiling. He then reports that he was sitting in his car at the bank, after cashing his check. As he was counting his loot, he felt the car jerk violently. Some asshole gave him one hell of a door ding, as they let their door fly open. He opens the door and shouts WTF? to the other guy. The guy responds with, "so what, it's a junker anyway". My guy calmly walks over to the other car, and caves the door in with his foot. He looks the other driver in the eye and says, "well, now you have a beater too". As he drove off, the other driver just stood then in stunned silence.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:43:13 PM by paddedhat »

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »
The car next to mine was a black Jeep Grand Cherokee, a beast of an SUV the size of an army tank, capable of carrying a dozen people easily.

The Grand Cherokee isn't even that big, really. Not when you compare it to the Ford Expedition. Grand Cherokee only has room for five, while the Expedition has an optional third row that adds three more seat belts all while towing up to a 9,000lb trailer.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 07:57:04 AM »
And even that is small compared to the Excursion. Though that could fit a good sized family and tow one hell of a trailer. Useful, just not often owned by people who made use of it.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:50:59 PM by Syonyk »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 07:57:50 AM »

Off topic but this made me think about an experience last night watching several cars waiting in my gym's parking lot for the spots closest to the doors to become available. All of these spots were standard, non-handicapped spots BTW.

There were two cars basically fighting over one spot as I walked in last night. I got a good chuckle out of the irony.

And the bike racks are empty, but all the stationary bikes are full. :)

Gyms are silly places.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »
Ah, don't discount the upside of driving a beater car. I once had an odd, but generally harmless employee who drove a car that seemed to stay together out of habit. He shows up for work one morning, and was all smiles, well at least the few remaining teeth seemed to be smiling. He then reports that he was sitting in his car at the bank, after cashing his check. As he was counting his loot, he felt the car jerk violently. Some asshole gave him one hell of a door ding, as they let their door fly open. He opens the door and shouts WTF? to the other guy. The guy responds with, "so what, it's a junker anyway". My guy calmly walks over to the other car, and caves the door in with his foot. He looks the other driver in the eye and says, "well, now you have a beater too". As he drove off, the other driver just stood then in stunned silence.

What an ass. If you own a beater car, you can abuse it, but not the other guy's beater! This thread makes me think of Lois https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC0i5202HfA

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
Plot Twist: Person owns a shelter for animals that are saved from being euthanized and needed to type emails about a large "shipment" of incoming animals. 

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »
I don't get the fascination with parking right by the entrance. When I look down I see these "leg-things" that most humans have. They really are practical for doing a thing called walking.

My cousin and I compared parking right next to the entrace at Trader Joe's vs. parking further back where there was plenty of space. I won, she had barely parked when I was inside.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 05:38:57 AM »
I get a chuckle when I go to my gym and see all the cars parked as close as possible to the building.   They will go in for a workout, and walk miles on a treadmill, but everyone is trying to minimize the walking distance from their car!!   LOL

I've started upping my activity level, and walking more.  One thing I do is intentionally park farther away from buildings in the parking lot.  I get two benefits:     
1. I get to walk longer, more exercise in my daily life
2.  I park where there are few cars so, little worry about other drivers and getting dinged by other cars

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 06:12:50 AM »
What about the assholes that park in the expecting mother or newborn spots?

That's pretty upsetting as well.

Alex321

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 07:17:27 AM »
Idling hardly burns any fuel at all, and Jeeps Grand Cherokee aren't even all that big, and the relative size of the vehicle doesn't have that much of an impact on the fuel consumption rate at idle.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!