Author Topic: Scammy ads  (Read 1746 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Scammy ads
« on: September 10, 2020, 06:11:54 AM »
So I usually use an ad-blocker, but I've been using a new browser and keep forgetting to get the app installed. My Youtube ads lately have come in two flavors: ads aimed at your sexual performance/masculinity and get-rich quick schemes. Lots of get-rich quick schemes. It's been so long since I've regularly had Youtube ads so I'm not sure if this is everyone's experience, these are regionally-aligned ads, or what. I run a VPN that places my computer in San Francisco.  The former ads I find hilarious not for what they're selling, but the candor in which they're doing it. These ads would never appear on US television. For the latter, I keep thinking "people still fall for this shit?"

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Scammy ads
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 09:43:23 AM »
Well, ads are targeted based on your browsing history.  So the get-rich-quick ads are probably loosely based on reading sites like this one or other blogs/sites geared at personal finance (that's for sure a bad marketing algorithm). 
As for the "other" kinds of ads; 2 words : "Incognito window". 

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 11:13:21 AM »
I don't get any of those type ads.  Mostly video game ads since I watch lots of Let's Play style videos. 

I sadly stopped using adblockers because so many sites stopped working with them on.  It got to the point like 90% of sites outright blocked me or they would fail to load videos (like Youtube).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 04:57:36 PM »
Well, ads are targeted based on your browsing history.  So the get-rich-quick ads are probably loosely based on reading sites like this one or other blogs/sites geared at personal finance (that's for sure a bad marketing algorithm). 
As for the "other" kinds of ads; 2 words : "Incognito window".

If it was based on browser history I should be flooded with video game ads like Eric. I've never once searched how best to "manscape."

The Google Ads that appear on the sides and bottoms of whatever website I'm on are definitely user-influenced.  I'll get an Amazon ad for an item five minutes after I just bought it. The Youtube stuff seems to come in waves. I'll get the same ads over and over again for a couple weeks, then get a new batch.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:58:23 PM by Travis »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 05:48:09 PM »
I get cars. Tons of cars. Usually ugly ones with big wheels and tiny windows. And they never say the actual price of the car, just the interest rate or the monthly lease price or the cashback amount. I get ads for car insurance too. Not sure why, I've had the same car since college (17 y/o with less than 100k miles!!!)  and maybe they figure it will rust through before I make it to retirement?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:26:00 PM »
I laugh when I get man stuff ads and truck ads.  Totally irrelevant.

I use ad blocker as much as possible.

They aren't scammy, but the ads that are hard are those on Ravelry, because they get me wanting ALL THE STUFF!!!!!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!