Author Topic: Best Buy Story  (Read 3733 times)

Gundy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Best Buy Story
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:12 AM »

I was in the office the other day and overheard a coworker mention his frustrations with the customer service at Best Buy. At first I didn't think anything of it, but later when we were working together I asked him about it to be polite and keep the conversation going.

He began by telling me how his new wife had driven an hour and a half to Best Buy to pick up something that he had ordered in his name. She hadn't changed her name yet, so the names did not match the order and they wouldn't give her whatever it was that they had purchased. That seemed pretty unfortunate, but he continued that he was "fed up" with the whole organization and he didn't want to give them his business anymore. He then launched into a previous complaint. Apparently, he had spent enough money over the year to qualify for "gold status" (or even diamond, I have no idea) and that came with a free home theater tuning session with the geek squad. But somewhere along the line, Best Buy had changed their terms so that only the next level higher of rewards customer would get the free tuning session and he no longer qualified. I sympathized with him, because while I don't agree with the spending, I do agree that it is unfair for a company to change their policy like that without informing him. I then asked how much you have to spend to get to his reward status and he said 10k in a calendar year. I almost choked. This guy doesn't even gross 100k before taxes, so he is effectively spending more than 10% of his yearly income at Best Buy. I asked him how he could possibly spend that much, and he said that he bought a home theater system for his mother, one for himself, and a ton of games and another TV. To top that off, he drives a skyline or some other quasi-sports car which only takes premium gas, orders stuff on amazon all the time, and generally does not have two nickels to rub together. He's also the first guy to complain when the yearly raise is only "1%" and how he's getting ripped off all the time. It's like a slow motion train wreck.

EngGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Best Buy Story
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »
I can't imagine spending 10% of my income ANYWHERE except for paying off my student loans and then investing. I don't spend 10% on my rent, groceries, transportation... I wonder how it would feel to spend 10% of my income in one store! Mind blown.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
Best Buy needs more buyers like him if there going to survive! Right now there a viewing house for Amazon. But to your point I have never heard of this offer but agreed people that were currently in it should of been grandfathered into the program. Secondly, I cant imagine spending 10k in electronics in one year but if that's some peoples passion I am sure its easy to get to. As fast as technology changes today I just dont chase it. No my thing.

I had an interesting experience today where i wanted to reach out and smack the person in front of me. Not only because they were slowing me down but because they were buying a Huge can of that Monster Energy and then asked for a pack of Cigarettes. When the cashier added it up she didn't know if she had enough money so while i waited it just made me think she probably was spending 10$ on something she obviously didn't have the money for and that was killing her. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
A home theater tuning session?  Okay sir, let's adjust your treble knob from 5.0 to 5.2, your subwoofer volume from 3.6 to 3.8 and BOOOOOM!!!  Your home theater is now perfect!!  (just the same as it was before)

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
A home theater tuning session?  Okay sir, let's adjust your treble knob from 5.0 to 5.2, your subwoofer volume from 3.6 to 3.8 and BOOOOOM!!!  Your home theater is now perfect!!  (just the same as it was before)

Yeah, seems like something they would offer for free in order to sell you on a woofer cone upgrade or something.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
Yeah, seems like something they would offer for free in order to sell you on a woofer cone upgrade or something.

Kind of like the 'free' inspections that dealerships sometimes provide with the hope of finding something wrong/not-quite-right that then requires labor/parts to fix.  I always appreciate the free inspections as I'd rather know if something is broken but I'm also prepared to say no to replacing things like 1-month old windshield wipers or air filters that I replaced 2 months ago.