Author Topic: Salon Article about how a teacher earning six figures is suffering.  (Read 7214 times)

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
http://www.salon.com/2015/10/10/i_went_broke_teaching_your_kid_the_real_story_about_life_on_a_teachers_salary/

Yes. New York is expensive. So are kids. But it sound like this guy has a spending problem, not an earning problem.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Re: Salon Article about how a teacher earning six figures is suffering.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:27:37 PM »
He also blew his 20s getting a PhD in American Studies and it sounds like a chunk of his 30s working in low-paying adjunct positions. Insisting on living in NYC and sending his kids to private schools. So many face punches here. Let's just move on.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
My reaction to these kinds of articles is to skip them.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Why do people like these tell all their secrets? I'd be too ashamed to tell all that to a reporter.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »
If they were stupid enough to get into that kind of mess, they are stupid enough to tell a reporter about it.

What's so hard to understand about that? :)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 09:24:41 PM »
Why do people like these tell all their secrets? I'd be too ashamed to tell all that to a reporter.

Some folks are attention whores, though. It's astounding what people will actually admit to and publish. Bits of it may even be true. Every time I read articles like this, I suspect a reporter is being trolled.

Cluelessness also has many dimesions. A person who doesn't grasp cause and effect is generally dim enough to think other people are just like him or her, so there's some kind of universal aspect to the mistakes they make. If they are glum about the "unpredictable" consequences of their jackass decision making, it may appear to them that others will be sympathetic.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »
What a moron this guy is.  I pity his students.

He claims to be "barely middle class," yet spends more than 32 freakin' thousand dollars (after a discount) sending his kids to a fancy private high school in NYC.

Someone want to explain to this clown that "middle class" people don't send their kids to fancy prep schools?

Yeesh.

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
I couldn't read more than a paragraph of this.  What a whiny pretentious asshole.

Just a clarification though: he's not telling this to reporters.  This is an excerpt from a book about teaching.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
He is spending too much on tuition and housing. He appears to believe that these expenses are necessary and normal. He has no issues with admitting this because he thinks people will agree it's normal and sympathize.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
Not sure what the point of this excerpt is supposed to be. The thesis is, " teaching is interesting?". I mean, he talks about his finances but, the majority of the article is a meandering trip through the ins and outs of the teaching profession. At several points he even acknowledges how sub optimal many of his financial decisions have been.

I did laugh aloud when he called $32k of private schooling an "indulgence".

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
I did laugh aloud when he called $32k of private schooling an "indulgence".

At least he admits it and acknowledges the cause and effect relationship between his family's spending and their financial state. Most of the woe-is-me bloviators don't.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
Exactly. Earlier posters are castigating this guy but, he's better than most of the complainers we see. He's not even really complaining - we're all just offended that his decision set deviates so much from our ideal.

I laughed at "indulgence" because it's a classic example of (mis)using diction to aid in rationalization. This is a history/English professor - he knows what he's doing here. In his heart he knows he can't afford 33% of his take home on tuition but, calling it an indulgence and saying it's typical for his peer group lets him sleep at night.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:09:09 PM by Gondolin »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 12:28:46 PM »
Exactly. Earlier posters are castigating this guy but, he's better than most of the complainers we see. He's not even really complaining - we're all just offended that his decision set deviates so much from our ideal.

Yup, well said.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
1.  As a teacher, I cannot relate to his whine.  Oh, I recognize a topic here and there, but it's like he's teaching on a different plane.   

2.  He started teaching in 2001, and his starting pay was more than I make now.  I am nearing the end of my career and will be collecting a full pension soon.  I own a house and a couple cars.  I have no debt.  In spite of paying for my two children to attend college, I am saving aggressively.  Why am I succeeding while he's failing?  Several answers:  He's paying $2300/month for a house (and more in property taxes!).  He has twice as many children as the average family.  He lives in a high cost of living.  He has chosen a lifestyle that includes driving his kids (and dogs?) around the state for various activities.  He is paying for private school.  He has chosen this path. 

QuirkyNurse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »
Huh. I pay $280 for my car payment. It's not the most mustachian, but I have no friends or family near me to help out if my car broke down and I have to have a reliable car for the trauma call I take every weekend.

BUT. I make $59,000 before tax, and that's not a number that hurts me. I manage to get by on $1500 a month, but I've CHOSEN that life. You aren't forced into an expensive lifestyle, and I opt to cut back in other areas of my life for a very reliable vehicle. How much money are they spending on take-out a month? The equivalent of a car payment?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 03:07:27 AM »
He is spending too much on private schooling and housing. It would be the same for a person here in London if you decided to make those expensive choices.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 09:30:43 AM »

Some folks are attention whores, though. It's astounding what people will actually admit to and publish. Bits of it may even be true. Every time I read articles like this, I suspect a reporter is being trolled.

Cluelessness also has many dimesions. A person who doesn't grasp cause and effect is generally dim enough to think other people are just like him or her, so there's some kind of universal aspect to the mistakes they make. If they are glum about the "unpredictable" consequences of their jackass decision making, it may appear to them that others will be sympathetic.

Nah you got it all wrong, he talks to the reporter so now he gets the publicity that he can use to start his own GoFundMe account to pay off his life choices on the backs of other people that have probably made equally crappy life choices so they know how to feel sorry for him.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
Talk to reporter, get press, sell books, profit.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »

Nah you got it all wrong, he talks to the reporter so now he gets the publicity that he can use to start his own GoFundMe account to pay off his life choices on the backs of other people that have probably made equally crappy life choices so they know how to feel sorry for him.

Very true, but anyone financially savvy will help him out with a facepunch instead of a donation. The only ones dim enough to empathize with him won't have any money to do it with, and their credit cards will be all maxed out from those equally crappy life choices.