Author Topic: Ruth Madoff goes to the public library, buys groceries!  (Read 4646 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
Ruth Madoff goes to the public library, buys groceries!
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
Who else watched the ABC miniseries about Bernie Madoff?  Following the conclusion of the series, ABC aired a news follow-up on what has happened to Ruth Madoff, their sons, and some of the key employees of Madoff's company since he was convicted.

And, oh my, one of the final lines was, "Now Ruth Madoff spends time at the public library and with her grandchildren."  She was allowed to keep $2.5 million of their massive fortune and now lives in Connecticut.  They posted pictures of her pushing a grocery cart to load her own Prius.

I know the fall from Upper East Side to her life now is long and steep, but she's hardly living hand to mouth.  I thought the comments about the "public library" were hilarious.  Give me $2.5 mil, a Prius, and a great public library and I'd be over the moon!

I am not totally cold about the suffering that has befallen other members of the family, however.  The fact that her only two children have since died (one of cancer, the other of suicide) and that they left children and spouses behind is tragic.  By all accounts, the sons worked for a legitimate arm of Madoff's business and were not aware of his illegal activities and eventually turned him in when they became aware.  There were a lot of victims in this situation.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ruth Madoff goes to the public library, buys groceries!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
We watched it.  I felt so sorry for the boys - even after she knew what Bernie had done, she was still defending him.  And OMG about sending Mark the watches and jewellery!  It wasn't bad enough HE put the family in danger of jail time - she did too!  I found her to be a totally unsympathetic character.   She may not have known what Bernie was up to, but her whining and actions afterwards revealed a totally shallow and narcissistic personality.   I remember when all this was happening she was complaining about having to sell their houses.  Meanwhile, people had lost all their savings, and were facing homelessness and poverty.  Not all his investors were big fish - a lot were people who had scrimped and saved their entire lives.

I would think we were on Easy Street if we had the money she was allowed to keep.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »
I would think we were on Easy Street if we had the money she was allowed to keep.
I wouldn't even be on the Internet if I had $2.5M.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »
I wouldn't even be on the Internet if I had $2.5M.

Yeah, probably still working because that's not nearly enough to retire on. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
You win!!!

WHY did she get to keep ANY of the money? Just curious. Wondering why she didn't end up working some "little" job like the rest of us.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:32:24 PM »
Is this miniseries available online in any way? I would love to watch it.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
Damn, my phone doesn't support the app and I don't have a laptop! Oh well.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:52:56 AM »
I read the book by Madoff's daughter in law, the one who married the son who cmmitted suicide. That was sad.