Author Topic: Ridiculous Things Dealerships Say and Do  (Read 85577 times)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Ridiculous Things Dealerships Say and Do
« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
They keep the body shop busy that way? yeah I'd keep them busy painting my mirrors at their cost.

Dealer talked my wife into having her car detailed.  Whatever they used as a cleaner took the finish right off of the steering wheel.  It was a fight, but we finally got them to replace it.  $1200 airbag steering wheel replacement at whatever their cost is...

They're not allowed to wash my car either after the took a high pressure spray to the back and managed to shoot water through the engine bay louvers and fill the spark plug wells with water...  I was not happy.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »
Toyota.

I've had gigantically awful experience with Toyota Dealers over the years.  I like the cars.  The dealers are, bluntly, just assholes.  I've never been treated like that with other dealerships.  There have been a couple of exceptions to the asshole rule... but in both cases, I had to drive out of my way to find them, passing 3 or more asshat dealers along the path.
Toyotas practically sell themselves due to their long-term reliability image. After all, Image is EverythingTM. The lot vultures and sales process are there like a maze to make you fight hard to get one, because a Toyota is a rare-breed, and you deserve that unicorn.

The above statement may also apply to any and all automotive dealers representing various manufacturers.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
Don't know about where you live and its been years since I priced out a Honda - but once upon a time - it took several years to get more than a few thousand from a new Honda price here. For a $3K difference, I'll take the new Honda please... I've seen how some people treat their cars...

That's why we bought a new Honda Fit 5 years ago. The cost difference between a 3-year-old car with 50K on it vs a new car was 3K. For 3K, I'll take 3 years less wear and tear on the car, y'know? (For 6K, we can discuss... but there is a point where you're not saving money by buying used. Counterintuitive but still true.)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2017, 01:06:32 PM »
Don't know about where you live and its been years since I priced out a Honda - but once upon a time - it took several years to get more than a few thousand from a new Honda price here. For a $3K difference, I'll take the new Honda please... I've seen how some people treat their cars...

That's why we bought a new Honda Fit 5 years ago. The cost difference between a 3-year-old car with 50K on it vs a new car was 3K. For 3K, I'll take 3 years less wear and tear on the car, y'know? (For 6K, we can discuss... but there is a point where you're not saving money by buying used. Counterintuitive but still true.)

Yup.  It amazes me how many people blindly insist that all new cars are always a terrible idea without any basis at all.  Having basically only bought Hondas, it's almost always financially better to buy new over slightly used.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »

Yup.  It amazes me how many people blindly insist that all new cars are always a terrible idea without any basis at all.  Having basically only bought Hondas, it's almost always financially better to buy new over slightly used.

Yeah but that's not what MMM advises.  The *youngest* used car you should be looking at is 6 years old.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »

Yeah but that's not what MMM advises.  The *youngest* used car you should be looking at is 6 years old.

MMM advocates all kinds of goofy shit when it comes to cars, doesn't make it right for all situations. 

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2017, 05:30:36 PM »

Yep, we have been through this a few times, as long term owners of CRVs.  The wife wrecked a three year old one, after a deer tried to tackle it. It had 75K on the ODO and the insurance co. wrote a check for rough 85% of the original purchase price. The car was absolutely destroyed, with the entire 4wd drivetrain pushed backwards a few inches, and fluids leaking from several systems. The insurer sold it for $6800 the same day I signed the title over to the adjuster.  I asked our salesperson about a slightly used replacement and he told me that he would make a much sweeter commission on a used one, but only a fool would pay the kind of money that his dealer was getting for them.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »

Not anymore. MMM bought a brand new car. It is an electric, though.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/10/04/so-i-bought-an-electric-car/

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2017, 06:59:25 PM »

I just priced out a '14 Accord EX with 20K miles on it - they were booking right around 18K.  I think a new one can be purchased for 20 ish. So that still seems to hold true - though buying one off the lot and buying one off a private party could net different results.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »

I just priced out a '14 Accord EX with 20K miles on it - they were booking right around 18K. I think a new one can be purchased for 20 ish. So that still seems to hold true - though buying one off the lot and buying one off a private party could net different results.

An LX is $22,455 base with a manual transmission. If you want an automatic and 17" wheels, you're at $25,604 with no other options.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »
Dealers will be very loathe to sell you a base model manual accord, even if the manufacturer technically offers one for sale. They often straight up refuse, or tell you that if you special order it you can have it in five months at MSRP.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »
Dealers will be very loathe to sell you a base model manual accord, even if the manufacturer technically offers one for sale. They often straight up refuse, or tell you that if you special order it you can have it in five months at MSRP.

I've gotten the impression that the salesfolk were under some kind of pressure to sell what's on the lot. Nothing quantitative and no direct evidence, just a vibe I picked up last time I was nosing about a dealership. Is it just my imagination?

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »
There are holding costs for dealerships.  Days on lot is a big deal to them.  Sometimes the sales manager will even put more commission on a vehicle that has been around a while. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »

I've gotten the impression that the salesfolk were under some kind of pressure to sell what's on the lot. Nothing quantitative and no direct evidence, just a vibe I picked up last time I was nosing about a dealership. Is it just my imagination?

Absolutely. They'll sell you a car built to order, but the good incentives/discounts are for cars on a lot. The longer it sits, the more money it eats (taxes, upkeep, and obviously opportunity cost.)

You can sometimes find cars that are a year or even two years old, brand new, on a lot. Like a 2015 model today. You can get serious discounts on one, often cheaper than a used one with miles.

Nice cars sold at nice-car-dealerships are much more likely to be built to spec. You buy a $85k porsche, you can get it optioned to your specification with not a single raised eyebrow. You buy a $22k accord, you take what's on the lot or you call a bunch of dealers before one will actually want to work with you and make things easy. Good news is that if you buy a $22k accord, there aren't a lot of options that matter, so you can probably find exactly what you want on the lot...

Unless it's the most base model they have, which often isn't on any lot, because nobody want to earn $200 selling a $22k accord when they can earn $800 selling a $26k accord. (Numbers mildly made up, but you get it.) Not to mention that buyers of the most base model are far less likely to go for the other addons from which dealers make money.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Base model cars are often just there as an ad car.  Don't sell the ad car!  If you sell the ad car and someone calls to ask if you still have it, you can't say "sure, come on down."  Once the customer is on the lot, it's time for the upsale.  They will sell the ad car, but they are not going to make it a pleasant experience. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2017, 12:35:53 AM »
Base model cars are often just there as an ad car.  Don't sell the ad car! If you sell the ad car and someone calls to ask if you still have it, you can't say "sure, come on down."  Once the customer is on the lot, it's time for the upsale.  They will sell the ad car, but they are not going to make it a pleasant experience.

You really think they wouldn't lie to you to get you on to the lot?!?!?!7

Have you read this thread? I drove three hours to buy a car they swore they had in stock and when I got there it was gone, sold a week ago.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2017, 08:22:16 AM »
Another ridiculous Toyota story.

Many years ago (about 2002 I think) my sister custom ordered a Toyota.  Nothing fancy... just a combination of options and colors.  She puts down a deposit.  Time goes by.  More time.  More time.  They finally call her and have her car.  She goes to pick it up and ... it's missing several of the things she ordered.  Fine, they say, they'll discount it a little.  No, says sister, I want what I ordered.  Then Toyota tells her "There is no such thing as a custom ordered Toyota.  The factory doesn't do that.  They just have a guy sitting at the import dock in Houston that will pick the closest car and send it to them."

I have zero idea if Toyota's statement is true or false.  It's a ridiculous statement either way.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2017, 08:28:33 AM »

Absolutely. They'll sell you a car built to order, but the good incentives/discounts are for cars on a lot. The longer it sits, the more money it eats (taxes, upkeep, and obviously opportunity cost.)

You can sometimes find cars that are a year or even two years old, brand new, on a lot. Like a 2015 model today. You can get serious discounts on one, often cheaper than a used one with miles.

Nice cars sold at nice-car-dealerships are much more likely to be built to spec. You buy a $85k porsche, you can get it optioned to your specification with not a single raised eyebrow. You buy a $22k accord, you take what's on the lot or you call a bunch of dealers before one will actually want to work with you and make things easy. Good news is that if you buy a $22k accord, there aren't a lot of options that matter, so you can probably find exactly what you want on the lot...

Unless it's the most base model they have, which often isn't on any lot, because nobody want to earn $200 selling a $22k accord when they can earn $800 selling a $26k accord. (Numbers mildly made up, but you get it.) Not to mention that buyers of the most base model are far less likely to go for the other addons from which dealers make money.

This is not my experience. I had two family members who bought $22K accords, custom ordered from the factory to get the colors and options they wanted. The experience was fantastic and very easy, though they perhaps paid a few dollars more than if they had picked one off the lot that didn't fit their needs and wants as well. And yes, they did have to wait 8 weeks for the car to be built and arrive.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »

Many years ago (about 2002 I think) my sister custom ordered a Toyota.  Nothing fancy... just a combination of options and colors.  She puts down a deposit.  Time goes by.  More time.  More time.  They finally call her and have her car.  She goes to pick it up and ... it's missing several of the things she ordered.  Fine, they say, they'll discount it a little.  No, says sister, I want what I ordered.  Then Toyota tells her "There is no such thing as a custom ordered Toyota.  The factory doesn't do that.  They just have a guy sitting at the import dock in Houston that will pick the closest car and send it to them."

I have zero idea if Toyota's statement is true or false.  It's a ridiculous statement either way.
I call BS. Most Toyotas destined for the North America market are built in the US, including their best selling Camry. If you're ever near Georgetown, KY, go tour it- it's quite something.

Every car that makes its way down the assembly line has a manifest with all the specs attached the the frame. You can literally see the workers put in a V6 in the first car, then switch to a V4 a couple seconds later on the next car that makes it down the line. They don't call it just-in-time manufacturing for nothing.

It's possible that things have changed between 2002 and now, but it's much more likely that the dealer told her whatever they needed to get her off their case.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #269 on: January 31, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »

I call BS. Most Toyotas destined for the North America market are built in the US, including their best selling Camry. If you're ever near Georgetown, KY, go tour it- it's quite something.

Every car that makes its way down the assembly line has a manifest with all the specs attached the the frame. You can literally see the workers put in a V6 in the first car, then switch to a V4 a couple seconds later on the next car that makes it down the line. They don't call it just-in-time manufacturing for nothing.

It's possible that things have changed between 2002 and now, but it's much more likely that the dealer told her whatever they needed to get her off their case.

This was my thought too.

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »

Information from many years ago: they are paying interest on the units on the lot, so not your imagination.  I have used this once, accidentally.  I was paying cash for a new car, and had paid all but $200 so I told them to keep it until I got the money together, which was going to be a while.  As they were paying interest on the whole car, they told me just to take it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »

Toyotas in the SE USA are almost all distributed by a single (or maybe there are two) distributors, who are known to engage in a lot of shady, douchy, monopolistic practices like loading every car up with thousands in BS protection packages, etc.  It is entirely possible that they control the market and would not let an individual dealer order a specific car.  Fortunately, there's nothing (aside from annoyance) stopping you from dealing with a dealer outside of the southeast.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »

And THAT is just another reasons to dream about buying directly from the factory. I'd happily take the bus or fly to Illinois and take delivery at the factory door.

Those darn socialists in Europe can do this. Why not us in the "free market USA"? Or - is that another example of what we saay doesn't match what we do here? ;)

Also - for what it is worth, there are V-6 engines and inline-four cylinders. There aren't any V4s sold in the USA right now in cars. They had vibration issues I've read and were only used in a couple of brands in Europe for a short time along time ago. They do sell them here in some motorcycles. I think the Honda ST-series motorcycles is one example.

We do have H4s here - flat four / boxer fours - in Subarus.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:53:33 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: January 31, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
We do have H4s here - flat four / boxer fours - in Subarus.
And in the Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #274 on: January 31, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
Yep, you're right. They are above my tax bracket so I didn't think of them. ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: January 31, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »

And THAT is just another reasons to dream about buying directly from the factory. I'd happily take the bus or fly to Illinois and take delivery at the factory door.

Those darn socialists in Europe can do this. Why not us in the "free market USA"? Or - is that another example of what we saay doesn't match what we do here? ;

The factory direct thing has roots in old laws designed to keep manufacturers from charging dealers fees to get set up, and then turning around and competing with them.  Right wrong or indifferent, that's where it came from. 

On the ordering thing, that's more of a maker by maker thing.  Some car makers are very happy to receive your spec order, like BMW, Porsche, MB, etc.  Usually higher end ones.  And even certain enthusiast cars, like Mustangs or Camaros or Corvettes, dealers are happy to order those spec'd how you want as well.  It's only the lower end of the market Japanese makers who really don't offer too many combinations anyways, Hondas are basically pick your trim level and pick your color.  And even those makers are probably okay with a special order, but the dealers are too busy selling what they have and what they can easily get to want to screw around with ordering something for you.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: February 04, 2017, 07:17:57 AM »

Plus dealerships don't "get to choose" all of the models sent to them.  While I was ordering my Renegade I noticed there were a ton of 2014 Jeep Cheerokee Latitudes on the lot.  FCI sent the the cars with basically if you want these other cars you are taking these as well.  The dealership sold some of them but ended up with at least 25% left when the 2015's came out.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
Bought my Yaris 10 years ago this month.  Got this flyer in the mail - front made me think it would be coupons for service.  But nope... Time to buy a new one!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Local dealership has taken over a massive fenced off parking lot to park their overstock. Always makes me wonder if the car manufacturer needs to scale back production aka the economy is slowing or they have run through all the potential customers who want a car payment. Smallish town.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
Local dealership has taken over a massive fenced off parking lot to park their overstock. Always makes me wonder if the car manufacturer needs to scale back production aka the economy is slowing or they have run through all the potential customers who want a car payment. Smallish town.
I see ads on these forums, at the bottom, advertising a new Civic for $5+change a day, or an Accord for $7+change. I have both cars, but somehow the ads are almost always en Espanol. Que?

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #280 on: February 10, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »
Wow a new car for just $7!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: February 10, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »
Wow a new car for just $7!
Not bad. Would allow one to keep the rest of their 'stache invested for another month.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »
Here's a dumb question: Could you buy a car from a dealership with your credit card? Airline miles....

Probably not, huh? Yeah, dumb question.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Here's a dumb question: Could you buy a car from a dealership with your credit card? Airline miles....

You could probably put a downpayment on your car with one. Would depend upon the dealership. Unless your credit limit is high enough to cover the whole cost of a car?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #284 on: February 10, 2017, 08:29:30 PM »

You could probably put a downpayment on your car with one. Would depend upon the dealership. Unless your credit limit is high enough to cover the whole cost of a car?

High credit limit + Inexpensive car = Yes
I have done it.  However, it is usually going to be a better deal to buy from a private party instead of a dealership.  I'm not sure if airline miles would make up the difference, but I am not a traveler.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #285 on: February 10, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »

I have done it.  However, it is usually going to be a better deal to buy from a private party instead of a dealership.  I'm not sure if airline miles would make up the difference, but I am not a traveler.

When we bought our new car from a dealer they allowed us to put up to $3,000 on a credit card as a down payment. On the other hand, I tried to pay for a car worth ~$4,000-5,000 at a used car dealership with a credit card and they were really reluctant to take it at all. Paid with check instead for that one.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #286 on: February 11, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
My first car was paid for in part by CC, was paid off in a few months and had a low rate.  Broke college kid did not have the other 2k but had income and getting a loan for that little would have had fees.  Not a great move but probably not my worst.

Today in the US retailors can add a special fee to cover CC fees they have to pay.  My roofer would have charge 3-4% more to use a CC vs a dead tree check.  So a car dealer might take a CC but they are going to get an extra pound of flesh to cover the added costs.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #287 on: February 11, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »

It is likely to hurt your position haggling over the price.  The dealer is going to have to pay a fee to Mastercard/Visa of a few percent.  They're going to get that back from you.  The question then is if the airline miles are worth the markup.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
When I bought my LEAF, I negotiated the price, we got to an agreement there and then they asked how much I wanted to put down for a deposit. I answered "Anywhere between 3K and 30K on this card, please." They were only willing to do $3K (but did it at no surcharge to me, so I got the $45 (1.5%) cash back on it).

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »
Fascinating. I have never bought a car at a dealership; we always go the craigslist car under 5k route and pay cash. But I'm in the process of improving my travel hacking game and the thought of a couple grand on a credit card makes me salivate a little.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
Buying a car at a dealership instead of craigslist for the points has got to be the best example of stepping over a $10 bill to pickup a nickel that I've ever heard! :)

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »

As I understand it, this is why you should insist on putting a down payment on a document with a specific vehicle VIN listed. That VIN corresponds with all the options that aren't installed at the dealership (like remote starter upgrades, etc). If they deliver you a vehicle with a different set of features, it will have a different VIN, and you should receive your money back if they can't get you exactly what you ordered.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
Buying a car at a dealership instead of craigslist for the points has got to be the best example of stepping over a $10 bill to pickup a nickel that I've ever heard! :)

True that. I'd never do it. Just hypothetically thinking. We don't need a car.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »

When we bought our new car from a dealer they allowed us to put up to $3,000 on a credit card as a down payment. On the other hand, I tried to pay for a car worth ~$4,000-5,000 at a used car dealership with a credit card and they were really reluctant to take it at all. Paid with check instead for that one.

Not defending car dealerships general practice, but it's entirely reasonable for them to not accept a credit card for a car purchase. It's extremely unusual, and so the price they settled on did not include CC transaction fees (3% or so). With items that are commonly paid for with CC (i.e. retail goods), those fees are passed on to the purchaser as a matter of routine.

The hitch being that they can't just charge you those fees, since it's illegal to do so. Or at least was in my state back when I was working retail when it was still common for small businesses to not accept credit cards.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
So, sure I'm down for a free car wash, and the tech who'd been working on it immediately jumps in and cranks the engine and it just keeps turning and turning and turning and then finally catches. The customer service guy turns to me, and having forgotten about turning the battery on and apparently not relaying the request to the tech, and suggests that I should get my fuel pump replaced.

Heck that probably gets them alot of work each month b/c the average person doesn't know jack about their car. I have an older domestic sedan that behaves the same way. Let the fuel pump run for a few seconds until it switches off (you can hear it) and it fires immediately when I turn the key just like my import car.

Ah the free car wash.  Another story...

Wife's car goes to dealer for recall.  I get the free car wash.  When I get home, I notice the mirrors.  The non-mirror side is -- or was -- a shiny black plastic.  They had blasted them so hard with a power washer as to take the finish off of them.  They now were matte black and looked like a toddler had sanded them unevenly with 80 grit sand paper.  I just shook my head.

When my car went in for a recall (same dealer) I am offered the free car wash.  No thank you, I say.  The last free car wash you gave me ruined the finish on the mirrors.  Okay, they say.  When I go to pick it up, it's washed.  Mirrors on my car are damaged in exactly the same fashion.  This was 6 months or more later.  I can only wildly assume they were blasting the finish off of 25 cars a day for every work day in that 6 months.

Out of curiosity, what brand of dealer was that?

Toyota.

I've had gigantically awful experience with Toyota Dealers over the years.  I like the cars.  The dealers are, bluntly, just assholes.  I've never been treated like that with other dealerships.  There have been a couple of exceptions to the asshole rule... but in both cases, I had to drive out of my way to find them, passing 3 or more asshat dealers along the path.

As someone who worked at a Toyota dealer, I can confirm both that there is a lot of carelessness in the handling of customer cars, especially from the lot attendants and detail people and that the sales people and service advisers are often complete assholes that could never get away with how they act if they weren't selling and servicing Toyotas. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »

Not defending car dealerships general practice, but it's entirely reasonable for them to not accept a credit card for a car purchase. It's extremely unusual, and so the price they settled on did not include CC transaction fees (3% or so). With items that are commonly paid for with CC (i.e. retail goods), those fees are passed on to the purchaser as a matter of routine.

The hitch being that they can't just charge you those fees, since it's illegal to do so. Or at least was in my state back when I was working retail when it was still common for small businesses to not accept credit cards.

That used to be the case, but it changed in 2013.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
Some of these tactics sound familiar. In 2005, I got my heart set on a Mazda3 hatchback, my first new car. There was a Mazda dealership litterally 3 blocks from my house in California, so naturally I tried to buy one there.  Test drove, told them what I wanted, and while they didn't literally lock me in the office, I was blocked in while they tried to pressure me into buying a car with more options than I wanted. Finally got out of there, and a week or two later, they called and said "we have your care here for you, come on down."  I go over and there is the care with options  (none) and color I wanted, but it already had 450 miles on it and was scratched. Apparently they'd driven it a couple hundred miles and not even bothered to wash it, much less try to buff the scratches out. I asked how much they were going to discount this car, since it was clearly used. They gave me a guilt trip about how it only had all those miles because they were bringing it here like I asked. Umm, no you didn't check with me on this. Take your scratched up used car and F-off.  A couple days later the manager called and gave me this half-assed apology and I told him there was no way he'd be getting my business.

Last March, when I bought my Juke, I had what I view as good fortune of having a fairly new, and non-too-bright salesman.  Of course he wanted to run my credit, and I said no; we'll negotiate the out the door price first. My credit will not be a problem.  They neglected to tell me about the 36 month, 0% interest financing that was splashed on the front page of Nissan's website.  I go in, they keep trying to do that 4-square bullshit, and I'm on my phone's calculator punching numbers and going... that doesn't make any sense Randy. Tell me the price of the actual car.  He says he needs to know how much my max payment can be. I say "the car price, plus tax and title, minus my trade. Divide that by 36." Well, I need a max number. I say, "fine, I need my payment to be under $1,000 a month."  He shakes his head and capitulates.  Then they try to drive down the value of my trade in by saying it needed new tires, when I'd put brand new tires on about 3 months before.  At least go for something more believable.  It was actually kind of funny, because I didn't need to buy the car, and was 100% prepared to walk out the door (had the spare key to my car in my pocket).  In fact, I started to do just that and the price came down another $1,000.  This is why I go by myself when buying cars; makes it easier to unilaterally say F-no and walk out, and there's no playing the spouses against each other.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2017, 02:33:42 AM »

About four years ago I bought a motorcycle in Kansas. The out-the-door was $3500 and I put everything on the credit card.  I didn't even pay sales tax.  He may have simply wanted to get it off his lot that badly.

act0fgod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
Here's a ridiculous thing that hasn't been brought up.  My wife decided on a car.  The car manufacturer has said we could reserve our car for $1000.  We put this money down almost a year ago and probably won't get the car for more than another year.  Thing is almost 400,000 other people did the same thing.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
What the flip kind of car are you waiting for? Handcrafted carbon fiber ACME sportscar?