Author Topic: Ridiculous money-wasting trend of the moment...  (Read 13089 times)

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ridiculous money-wasting trend of the moment...
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
Jamberry nails: https://www.jamberrynails.net/

Stickers that look like manicures! Sold only by reps a la Avon. $15.00 a pop!

Any silly fashion trends on your radar?

hunniebun

• Bristles
Re: Ridiculous money-wasting trend of the moment...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »
I see these everywhere and have had no fewer than 5 people try to sell me this stuff in the last 2 months and facebook is filled with advertizements.  Someone must be buying it!?!?! But not me...

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
Yep...I am pretty sure Jamberry must be close to reaching critical mass.  Too many people are selling them. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:02:33 AM »
So that's what Jamberry is.  I thought it was some sort of weird food.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:05:15 AM »
I seem to be one of the few holdouts in my circle of friends not wearing Jamberry nails.  It is just not going to happen.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
Oh my goodness...I've seen something like these in Walmart.  Might be fun for Halloween or a Holiday party, but all the time?  $15nd the wrap only lasts for 10 days?

Psssshhhh!

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »
I see these everywhere and have had no fewer than 5 people try to sell me this stuff in the last 2 months and facebook is filled with advertizements.  Someone must be buying it!?!?! But not me...

The people buying it are the "representitives" from the MLM (multilevel marketing scheme). No one actually has to buy the nails to use for the company to make money - just the people who buy them to sell to others.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
I got some as a gift and they were impossible to get on well.  I was told that I would get better with practice.  Um, why would I practice at $5 a manicure?  (I will note that while a sheet costs $15 according to you people--I didn't look--,you can get 2 or 3 applications out of one sheet, depending on the sizes of your fingers and toes. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
The people buying it are the "representitives" from the MLM (multilevel marketing scheme).

It's not really a scheme, it's a valid business model. Though one based on annoying your friends and family.

Most MLM's don't require cash and carry anymore, so it isn't a bad thing to get into. You aren't out anything more than the cost of a start-up kit (usually minimal and "worth it" if you use the product yourself) if you don't sell anything.  In years past, it was the giant cash and carry requirements for Tupperware or Mary Kay or whatever that screwed people.

Most people I know who do MLM do it just to get the discount themselves (especially Shakeology- seems that anyone who drinks it might as well sign up to be a 'coach' because it's cheaper that way), only a small fraction ever actively try to sell to other people, others will just put in orders for friends if they ask.

But with Jamberry, it seems like a lot of people wearing them are NOT representatives of the company.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »
Two friends who wear/post these, occasionally, have engineering jobs and probably aren't hurt too much by this. One is a grad student in the humanities (probably makes <$20k) and her husband just finished his nursing program. They have 3 cats and a bird and money is always an Issue... It's sad.

On the other hand, only seen that handful of wearers in my circles.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:07 AM »
My wife talked me into buying her some for Xmas, through a friend of ours who's in dire financial straits. It was her way of trying to help... I woulda rather just given the friend the $40. Of course, the worst part is that there's no way she's getting more than a few bucks off that $40... why are humans so dumb about pretenses?
Then again, while our friend has had genuinely terrible luck since we've known her, she doesn't do much to help herself with what she gets. We were all looking at an upcoming concert and I bowed out when I saw the $80 price, but she gladly snagged a pair. So maybe it really doesn't matter.

RexualChocolate

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:12:58 AM »
The people buying it are the "representitives" from the MLM (multilevel marketing scheme).

It's not really a scheme, it's a valid business model. Though one based on annoying your friends and family.

Most MLM's don't require cash and carry anymore, so it isn't a bad thing to get into. You aren't out anything more than the cost of a start-up kit (usually minimal and "worth it" if you use the product yourself) if you don't sell anything.  In years past, it was the giant cash and carry requirements for Tupperware or Mary Kay or whatever that screwed people.

Most people I know who do MLM do it just to get the discount themselves (especially Shakeology- seems that anyone who drinks it might as well sign up to be a 'coach' because it's cheaper that way), only a small fraction ever actively try to sell to other people, others will just put in orders for friends if they ask.

But with Jamberry, it seems like a lot of people wearing them are NOT representatives of the company.

It's valid in that it makes money and not much else. I equate this type of peddling to panhandling.

Attached is a scathing review of Herbalife (HLF) released in 2012. The stock immediately tanked, then posted some impressive earnings, and now is collapsing again. I don't think these are sustainable business models with the advent of the internet, but they have been around for years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ackmans-herbalife-presentation-2012-12#-1

You can extrapolate this onto any MLM set up. I do agree eliminating startup costs is a big step in the right direction of businesses that depend on people exploiting their social connections. I do wish they'd just disappear entirely as they prey on the least wise among us.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
Ugh, my wife has an old friend that turns over a "home business" every year or so.  My wife usually makes a token purchase of the latest ware.  I usually keep my mouth shut, but found it impossible to do so when the Jamberries showed up in the mail! 

RogueSqPewPew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
Ugh I hate these sorts of FB posts. I just ranted a friend yesterday that NO!  I don't want to buy fingernail tape, Tupperware, cleaning supplies, makeup, or anything else. Do you want to lose friends?  Because this is how you lose friends. Stop selling to me.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
Any silly fashion trends on your radar?

Any and ALL fashion trends are silly.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »

It's valid in that it makes money and not much else. I equate this type of peddling to panhandling.

Attached is a scathing review of Herbalife (HLF) released in 2012. The stock immediately tanked, then posted some impressive earnings, and now is collapsing again. I don't think these are sustainable business models with the advent of the internet, but they have been around for years.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-ackmans-herbalife-presentation-2012-12#-1

You can extrapolate this onto any MLM set up. I do agree eliminating startup costs is a big step in the right direction of businesses that depend on people exploiting their social connections. I do wish they'd just disappear entirely as they prey on the least wise among us.

At least panhandling is an honest business.    I mean, I only see a homeless person once while walking down the street.    MLM schemes seem to follow me on Facebook, text, and e-mail.     

That reminds me, I really need to start carrying around something to give to homeless people that isn't cash.    Maybe loose beers?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »
That reminds me, I really need to start carrying around something to give to homeless people that isn't cash.    Maybe loose beers?

How about Jamberry wraps? Homeless need  pretty things too.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
Confession: I've actually tried these. They were a pain to put on and only lasted a few days.

I'm much happier just buffing my nails to a natural shine and the occasional DIY paint job when I'm feeling fancy.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
At least panhandling is an honest business.    I mean, I only see a homeless person once while walking down the street.    MLM schemes seem to follow me on Facebook, text, and e-mail.     

I know somebody who always has some 5$ mcdonalds gift cards for this reason.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »

I know somebody who always has some 5$ mcdonalds gift cards for this reason.

I don't mean to discourage you from doing something generous, but I know from personal experience that this isn't necessarily a way to avoid giving cash because people will just sell them. Maybe the minimal value of the card would discourage this.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »
I don't really mind giving out a few quarters to panhandlers, as long as they're honest panhandlers.    I can't stand people that try to engage me in a story about how they need $15.83 to get on a bus to go pick up their mom who's being held at gunpoint.    It's mostly that I almost never carry cash anymore.

If I was homeless I'd probably try to figure out some sort of credit card arrangement.   Who has cash anymore?

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »
I have friends whom I went to graduate school with trying to sell these things to me.

Um...did you seriously need a PhD to guilt friends into giving you $$?

Obviously, I've never bought anything from them...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:07 AM »
Two friends who wear/post these, occasionally, have engineering jobs and probably aren't hurt too much by this. One is a grad student in the humanities (probably makes <$20k) and her husband just finished his nursing program. They have 3 cats and a bird and money is always an Issue... It's sad.

WHA???
I am a female engineer and I was thinking just yesterday that I would be laughed out of the office if I wore anything like this...  Maybe boring beige on short nails or a no polish manicure, but colored nails.... At work? 

Ack, I get enough flack as it is on the job site (and it is not construction FYI).

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 06:53:37 AM »
I have written about this before on here, but I have estimated based on her "executive status" at Jamberry that there's a girl at my church who probably made close to 100K last year on them. It honestly surprised the hell out of me. She obviously got in early and has lots of underlings who will make close to nothing. I don't imagine it bothers her, since she regularly posts pictures of her manicures with lots of annoying hashtags, e.g. #ihavethebestjobintheworld. She also likes to highlight how Jamberry is changing the world one manicure at a time, since they donate some of the millions they are making to charity. I'm guessing she is instructed to make these kinds of posts.

I haven't hidden her, because I am strangely fascinated by the whole thing - that is, when I put aside the MLM aspect of it and getting rich on the backs of your friends and family. She always struck me as a sensible, smart girl. We even tried to get together once and have coffee. But now? I couldn't ever imagine that we would have that much in common. I think that's the shame of MLMs is that many frugal or sensible people develop perceptions of you after you have tried to sell to them.

Her gravy train will end, and she will have made a lot of money. But I think her image will be forever changed, although in that respect, it might just be in the mind of me. I've noticed that lots of ladies at the church like her posts and respond to the likes of "You Go Girl!" But it's probably not a coincidence that many of those women sell Usborne books or whatever other home selling biz there is.

Also, nail wraps just seem like they should be something children wear or adults just on holidays for fun (like someone said upthread). I've also read that they can wreck your nails and even lead to a fungus infection. Eww.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »
Essential oils is another one that I see lots of SAHM's starting to sell.  I can buy those at a health food store if I want them.  I do not know if this is via MLM though.  Just that they seem to be everywhere. 

Bleck! 

I was/am also HUGELY turned off by the idea that someone needed to pay $200-$1000 on a trendy name brand purse.  WTH?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »

WHA???
I am a female engineer and I was thinking just yesterday that I would be laughed out of the office if I wore anything like this...  Maybe boring beige on short nails or a no polish manicure, but colored nails.... At work? 

Ack, I get enough flack as it is on the job site (and it is not construction FYI).
I think they're office-bound engineers. Nuclear and aerospace. I'm an engineer in grad school and my experience is that no one cares if you do "girly" things if you don't flaunt it...

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »

WHA???

I think they're office-bound engineers. Nuclear and aerospace. I'm an engineer in grad school and my experience is that no one cares if you do "girly" things if you don't flaunt it...

LOL,  kind of like guys with earings working in engineeirng -- there is nothing wrong with it, and some (few) do it, but it is not the norm, and maybe create a few lifted eyebrows.   To that end, I would say that Gay & Lesbian is "normal" and does not even create a pause in conversation, but dressing differently or with a style that does not project "can do" attitude... not a recipe for upward mobility at the engineering & manufacturing companies that I have worked for.

e.g. I can't take someone with earrings or nail paint onto a (food) manufacturing floor, these need to be removed before you enter, and everyone stands and watches you awkwardly fix it, as your reveal your inexperience.  Coloured nails at a sewage treatment plant are out of place and project the wrong message, too.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »

WHA???

LOL,  kind of like guys with earings working in engineeirng -- there is nothing wrong with it, and some (few) do it, but it is not the norm, and maybe create a few lifted eyebrows.   To that end, I would say that Gay & Lesbian is "normal" and does not even create a pause in conversation, but dressing differently or with a style that does not project "can do" attitude... not a recipe for upward mobility at the engineering & manufacturing companies that I have worked for.

e.g. I can't take someone with earrings or nail paint onto a (food) manufacturing floor, these need to be removed before you enter, and everyone stands and watches you awkwardly fix it, as your reveal your inexperience.  Coloured nails at a sewage treatment plant are out of place and project the wrong message, too.

I think it would totally depend on the specific environment. :) If it's an actual safety issue, or otherwise obstructs the performance of her job duties (e.g. wearing stiletto heels in an industrial setting), it's obviously a bad choice. But I think if the (mostly male) coworkers are judging a woman *just* because she has her nails painted/decorated, that's a culture problem that needs to be addressed. It's equating the expression of femininity with weakness, frivolity, and unseriousness, and that's a fallacious association. A woman can be damn sharp in running FEA and wear ruffly skirts and enjoy mani-pedis with her girlfriends (at home, of course, so as to not offend mustachian sensibilities ;) ). I don't dress up my finger nails because they're funny-shaped, but I do like to paint my toes, and I prefer wine and cocktails to beers and whiskey. Some days I like to wear skirts and even makeup (although most days it's impractical, so obviously I don't). I guess I disagree with you on that last point...unless there's a safety issue I'm unaware of, let's bring those painted nails into the sewage plant! And the workshop! And the lab! (As long as we're willing to chip a nail doing whatever needs to be done. ;) )

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 03:43:54 PM »

WHA???

I think it would totally depend on the specific environment. :) If it's an actual safety issue, or otherwise obstructs the performance of her job duties (e.g. wearing stiletto heels in an industrial setting), it's obviously a bad choice. But I think if the (mostly male) coworkers are judging a woman *just* because she has her nails painted/decorated, that's a culture problem that needs to be addressed. It's equating the expression of femininity with weakness, frivolity, and unseriousness, and that's a fallacious association. A woman can be damn sharp in running FEA and wear ruffly skirts and enjoy mani-pedis with her girlfriends (at home, of course, so as to not offend mustachian sensibilities ;) ). I don't dress up my finger nails because they're funny-shaped, but I do like to paint my toes, and I prefer wine and cocktails to beers and whiskey. Some days I like to wear skirts and even makeup (although most days it's impractical, so obviously I don't). I guess I disagree with you on that last point...unless there's a safety issue I'm unaware of, let's bring those painted nails into the sewage plant! And the workshop! And the lab! (As long as we're willing to chip a nail doing whatever needs to be done. ;) )

I think you "nailed" the point -- most women and men who take the effort to dress up with flair (e.g., a purple cashmere sport coat on a man, or painted nails on a women) will NOT be willing to get their hands dirty at an unexpected moment's notice. 

I have not seen many women with nice nails willing to bend over and pick up trash from the floor (reduce an employee trip or other hazard) while doing a walk-through tour.  Usually worried about protecting those nails.   Nails like that don't often come with khaki's and a simple collared dress shirt, either, but finer fabrics, all unsuited to getting "dusty" at the client site, even if the original plan was to stay in the meeting room.   

These things definitely project an image that this person takes care not to have their appearance get mussed up. 

A fellow senior engineer stopped buying / wearing fashionable blouses in the 1990's after she was called unexpectedly to write up the failing sewage pump the contractor just installed (use your imagination here).  She switched to clothing that could be cleaned or discarded if needed. 

So, in an office where people may need to go to the client site 1-2 days out of 10,  this tends to generate an overall dress culture of "can do" clothing, even for business wear / business suits.  Nails, unlike a skirt, are not likely to be changed out on a day for day basis, after all -- and if you continually chip your manicure because of your "Can Do" attitude, then you quickly become less enamored with nail art, and only use it for special occasions.

At another client site, they have an engineering assistant, in the vehicle / fleet department, that refuses to wear the hardhat, safety vest and steel toes to go out to the new fleet lot to double check VIN numbers against registration documents.   A core part of her job, but she does not want to mess up her look, so she refuses (by just not doing it), and then the supervisor needs to do it when he finds out it is not done yet.   This is why people have a perception, and it is half based on truth!

But yes, there are "engineers" that work in environments with roles more like a financial analyst, in financial environments, where anything that ever needs to be done can be done in stiletto heels and fancy, (short) nails.   But then you are competing against a stereotyped image, and who really needs to have to prove to people all the time that you are able to type, work hard, and are serious about your job?   

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 04:29:01 PM »

WHA???

I think you "nailed" the point -- most women and men who take the effort to dress up with flair (e.g., a purple cashmere sport coat on a man, or painted nails on a women) will NOT be willing to get their hands dirty at an unexpected moment's notice. 

I have not seen many women with nice nails willing to bend over and pick up trash from the floor (reduce an employee trip or other hazard) while doing a walk-through tour.  Usually worried about protecting those nails.   Nails like that don't often come with khaki's and a simple collared dress shirt, either, but finer fabrics, all unsuited to getting "dusty" at the client site, even if the original plan was to stay in the meeting room.   

These things definitely project an image that this person takes care not to have their appearance get mussed up. 

A fellow senior engineer stopped buying / wearing fashionable blouses in the 1990's after she was called unexpectedly to write up the failing sewage pump the contractor just installed (use your imagination here).  She switched to clothing that could be cleaned or discarded if needed. 

So, in an office where people may need to go to the client site 1-2 days out of 10,  this tends to generate an overall dress culture of "can do" clothing, even for business wear / business suits.  Nails, unlike a skirt, are not likely to be changed out on a day for day basis, after all -- and if you continually chip your manicure because of your "Can Do" attitude, then you quickly become less enamored with nail art, and only use it for special occasions.

Just want to say, I used to pay for short acrylic fake nails with a french manicure, updated every two weeks on the dot.  If the white on the tips chipped, I retouched it at home which was good enough until the next scheduled manicure.

Why?

I worked at a garden center and a horse barn, and went straight from work to summer session night classes.  It took me 20+ minutes with a nail brush and toothpick to get the dirt out from underneath my nails -- a simple handwash didn't do it.  I already had to change and essentially sponge bathe myself in the bathroom when I got to school, and I wasn't a fan of going to class looking absolutely filthy. 

Sooooo...there are reasons besides looking fancy to get your nails done! 

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
Jamberry.  Ok, that is what that is.  I'm a single young guy, and honestly overdone nails(especially the crazy long ones) are a turn off, not a turn on.  I was in a bank and this girl is showing off her 'nails' to the teller.  They ask me what I think of them.  I was honest, "Guys don't care.  Your nails are the second to last thing we will ever look at, your toe nails being the last.  You do it for other women so you can show off like right now....  Guys don't care about your nails."   She looked at me like I just flipped the world upside down.

tensile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Podcast Pals
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 02:13:29 AM »
I've never heard of jamberry - I thought the thread would be about that website where you can send glitter to your 'enemies'!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!