Author Topic: Restoration Hardware 17 pound catalog  (Read 6093 times)

El Marinero

• Stubble
Restoration Hardware 17 pound catalog
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:32:04 PM »
I found a large bundle  of paper on my doorstep the other day.  It was the massive set of catalogs from Restoration Hardware.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-06-11/business/chi-restoration-hardware-catalog-20140611_1_catalog-restoration-hardware-social-media

I guess I'd better get busy buying stuff.

Jane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Restoration Hardware 17 pound catalog
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
I got one of those too. I'm glad to see they are getting some flak for it. Not only is it a ridiculous waste of paper and resources, but I can't even imagine the cost to produce them. I'm sure this doesn't help their already overly inflated prices.

lindsey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »
I got this, too! It made me feel badly for our elderly mailman...

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:13 PM »
I didn't get one (thank goodness), but I did read something interesting recently, which is that RH deliberately moved to a once a year "sourcebook" instead of 11-12 catalogs a year. Doing so actually saves a ton of paper, printing costs, and shipping costs compared to competitors who flood mailboxes every month. Believe it or not, it's an environmental move!

Not the article I originally read, but this speaks to it:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/why-the-huge-catalog-and-how-restoration-hardware-is-becoming-the-ikea-of-luxury-furnishings-203731

Not defending the underlying consumerism of the whole thing, but learning the above did dampen my criticism of the big catalog.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
Because we plan to build a house soon, I frequent another board about building . . . and Restoration Hardware is considered the place.  Don't get me wrong:  I love the vintage look.  It's a look that doesn't go "out of style", but their prices are crazy.  And to publish such a book is crazy -- when it's all available online!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »
If you think Restoration Hardware is expensive, don't look at Rejuvenation.

I hate, hate, hate the vintage look. Every time a customer asks for it at my store, I go into my happy place to keep from screaming at them. The purposely antiquated "Edison" bulbs take the cake.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »

I hate, hate, hate the vintage look. Every time a customer asks for it at my store, I go into my happy place to keep from screaming at them. The purposely antiquated "Edison" bulbs take the cake.

Interesting, I don't really care for the antiquated look, but I love Edison style lightbulbs.  They are just super cool.  I also like old hardware because of the solid manufacture, not because it looks old. 

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »
After reading this blog post (below), I can't take Restoration Hardware seriously. Ready for a laugh?

http://suburbanturmoil.com/warped-childhood-restoration-hardware-style-volume-ii/2013/11/11/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

Interesting, I don't really care for the antiquated look, but I love Edison style lightbulbs.  They are just super cool.  I also like old hardware because of the solid manufacture, not because it looks old.

Edison bulbs are crazy inefficient (60W gives lumens of a conventional 40W tungsten) and expensive. A terrible combination.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »

Edison bulbs are crazy inefficient (60W gives lumens of a conventional 40W tungsten) and expensive. A terrible combination.

Yeah well if you multiply the additional energy cost by the number of Edison bulbs in my home, you get zero ;-)

That doesn't make them look any less cool though

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »

I absolutely love the "vintage look," but the whole Restoration Hardware thing drives me crazy.  All my furniture (excluding one TV stand I got as a wedding present) is vintage, and I personally restored most of it.  To me, the charming thing about vintage and antique furniture is the stories that go along with the pieces, and the fact that you're reusing something instead of buying new.

The idea of buying "fake antiques" is totally ridiculous to me.  Also, I've been to one of their stores and their furniture is HUGE.  Whose house does that fit in?

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »
I bought a shower curtain from there a while back, which apparently put me on the list for the 17lb catalog. If they had my email to "confirm" my delivery, I wish they would have emailed me beforehand asking me if I even wanted this monstrosity...letting me opt out would have been more 'eco' friendly than just assuming I wanted their carbon-neutral delivery. Even with their email stating how environmentally conscious they were being...this effort just fell flat for me.  I am going to send them a message asking to remove me from their list. 

ChicagoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »
Yep, they have a link on their website under customer service to cancel delivery of the sourcebook.  It's under customer service section on website.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »

I absolutely love the "vintage look," but the whole Restoration Hardware thing drives me crazy.  All my furniture (excluding one TV stand I got as a wedding present) is vintage, and I personally restored most of it.  To me, the charming thing about vintage and antique furniture is the stories that go along with the pieces, and the fact that you're reusing something instead of buying new.

The idea of buying "fake antiques" is totally ridiculous to me.  Also, I've been to one of their stores and their furniture is HUGE.  Whose house does that fit in?
I like antiques, not sure if that means "vintage" or not. I'm stuck in the 1880's. But anyway, I don't think of RH as having reproduction pieces, I think of them having essentially colorless rooms. Everything is sand colored. Except this year, it's al  grey. Way to make me excited about your products, not.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!